New DLC September 26: HSV-010, BRZ, GT-R N24 '12

• Thread starter Keshian
  • 1,094 comments
MrMelancholy15
Was it the Nordschleife, or the Nürburgring 24h layout? The 24h layout is approximately 2 minutes longer, meaning that you're probably 38 seconds behind the times that analog posted, in reference to the 24h layout, a page or two earlier. 💡 When you say "the 'Ring," please consider, that there are approximately five (or more) Nürburgring layouts, each using its own layout, with its own lap times.

-Nürburgring Type V
-Nürburgring GP/D
-Nürburgring GP/F
-Nürburgring Nordschleife
-Nürburgring 24h
(are there more?)

But, it's possible, correct? What PD models in might be a tuning setup for a different track. It's doubtful that anyone make a car specifically for a single annual race. It's more likely that it races in a few different spots, where a different tuning setup would be necessary.

I should have specified. It is the N24 layout. And i did this in a race to say the least. I suppose drafting helped a lot too. Haven't tried practice runs yet.

Obsidian-2
It's your imagination. The FR-S and BR-Z handle exactly the same. Perhaps some of your cars need a chassis rebuild.

I did 5 laps each at Nurb comparing the BR-Z and FR-S. No discernible difference. If the cars handled differently, Nurb would expose it. There would be sections more suited to one or the other. I never had so much as a 1 second difference +/- at any sector mark over 10 laps and no consistent sectors where one was any faster than the other.

I also compared them at Tsukuba, Grand Valley and Trial Mountain back to back.

All 3 cars are brand spanking new( 0kms and no mods), so I doubt a virtual rebuild will do anything. It's possible you're imagining the cars have similar virtual handling and actually PD did factor a couple of 0's & 1's to differentiate the triplets.
I chose Tsukuba as a basic track to limit different lines into corners and to more accurately reference my braking points. In truth, using my controller and not a wheel, I found each car behaved in the way I described above.

Perhaps I ought to have compared the interior views? I rarely use the cockpit view, either, so there might be extra subtlety there that I'm missing.

Well, that's the view I'm always using and have based my judgement on (and perhaps should've made that clear), it would seem strange though that this effect, if it even exists that is, is only noticeable when using cockpit view although not impossible I guess.
It's indeed a subtle change, we're not talking massive differences here, but fine nuances.
Another thing, most of my cars are fitted with some sort of aftermarket exhaust, not sure that has anything to do with it (enhancing the effect maybe largely lost with a stock version?), although that's irrelevant when comparing racecars like the HSV/NSX obviously.

The more I talk about it, the more I risk looking like a complete tool when it turns out it's non-existent though...

Last edited:
Quick question for you guys!

Has anyone else noticed something very strange about the new DLC Nissan GTR N24? (apart from the strange handling that is!)

I spent a morning testing and trying to tune the car to improve the handling, but have noticed that when you go to the drivetrain in settings it shows only a rear diff - the front diff has figures of 0, the same if you purchase the custom diff. No torque split option is available and no clutches, flywheels and props are shown.

The previous mdel of N24 has all these options in the settings.

Is it just my copy? Do I have a rogue car?

What is the point of a 4 wheel drive car on which you can't tune the torque split or front diff?

I have tried buying a new model from the dealership and that also has these parts / options missing.

Is this a deliberate ploy by PD to stop us altering the setting to make the car easier - at the moment it is great fun, but the handling would best be described as challenging (a bit like a 1966 Cobra).

Quick question for you guys!

Has anyone else noticed something very strange about the new DLC Nissan GTR N24? (apart from the strange handling that is!)

I spent a morning testing and trying to tune the car to improve the handling, but have noticed that when you go to the drivetrain in settings it shows only a rear diff - the front diff has figures of 0, the same if you purchase the custom diff. No torque split option is available and no clutches, flywheels and props are shown.

The previous mdel of N24 has all these options in the settings.

Is it just my copy? Do I have a rogue car?

What is the point of a 4 wheel drive car on which you can't tune the torque split or front diff?

I have tried buying a new model from the dealership and that also has these parts / options missing.

Is this a deliberate ploy by PD to stop us altering the setting to make the car easier - at the moment it is great fun, but the handling would best be described as challenging (a bit like a 1966 Cobra).

There's a high chance that it's an FR car, try to fit comfort tires, and drift it, you'll love it:sly:

I actually like the handling of this new N24, as long as you're careful on the brakes and try to do most of the braking in a straight line it's perfectly manageable and at least it's different to drive than any other GT-R.
I also don't get some remarks that you can't keep it in a straight line and it sure as hell is nothing like the Cobra, there's some unexpected snap oversteer once in a while in slow corners and the aforementioned braking (if you slam it and steer simultaneously it's gone) but it keeps you on your toes.
If anything, the remaining understeer (present in other GT-R's as well) just after it oversteers violently is what makes it a bit annoying at times, or harder to correct.

There's a high chance that it's an FR car, try to fit comfort tires, and drift it, you'll love it:sly:

They won't have changed the drivetrain on a car that's meant to stick closer to the road model, plus the acceleration still feels 4WD.

But even so, there are 4WDs that are fitted with LSDs to start that you can't change the front values on. The Mine's Skyline '06 is one I know of.

They won't have changed the drivetrain on a car that's meant to stick closer to the road model, plus the acceleration still feels 4WD.

But even so, there are 4WDs that are fitted with LSDs to start that you can't change the front values on. The Mine's Skyline '06 is one I know of.

Then the GTR would be the most tail happy 4WD in the world:crazy:, drifting the car is so effortless with CH tires even on a stock tune.

analog
I actually like the handling of this new N24, as long as you're careful on the brakes and try to do most of the braking in a straight line it's perfectly manageable and at least it's different to drive than any other GT-R.
I also don't get some remarks that you can't keep it in a straight line and it sure as hell is nothing like the Cobra, there's some unexpected snap oversteer once in a while in slow corners and the aforementioned braking (if you slam it and steer simultaneously it's gone) but it keeps you on your toes.
If anything, the remaining understeer (present in other GT-R's as well) just after it oversteers violently is what makes it a bit annoying at times, or harder to correct.

I agree with this but I wonder how Team GT Academy managed to finish the real N24 in this car without a single collision with the wall. You literally have to remind yourself in every single turn that this is not just another GT-R. That's assuming the one in GT5 handles like the real thing.

I agree with this but I wonder how Team GT Academy managed to finish the real N24 in this car without a single collision with the wall. You literally have to remind yourself in every single turn that this is not just another GT-R. That's assuming the one in GT5 handles like the real thing.

Remember all the people who said this was just another GT-R before the DLC released? :lol:

That last sentence is the key one I think. ;)

Remember all the people who said this was just another GT-R before the DLC released? :lol:

I for one never said it was just another GT-R, doesn't change the fact it's yet another GT-R.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy driving it (and heck, even paid for it separately) and it isn't necessarily this car but all the slight variations included and added since that cheapens the whole appeal of the GT-R for me in general, the amount of Premium GT-R's is bordering on the ridiculous and especially considering PD had a part in its development.
Some would claim that's the reason and it might very well be, but for me that would be a reason not to make it appear that obvious.

Last edited:
I'm about to test the three BRZ / FR-S / 86GT production models against each other at Côte D'Azur, because it's actually almost impossible to take a different line there.

Even with a good setup going into a turn the rear end steps out bad , question is , how do you or can that be fixed by setup or just part of the car deal with it thing lol .ive tried aprings , rd, dampers .scratching head what to do lol

Don't listen to anyone who is whining about the sound of the HSV-010. The car is flat out amazing and is totally worth the $0.99. The handling and smoothness of the car will make you happy you bought it.

Nissan GT-R N24 GT Academy ’12 - sucks handling when brake is drift!

you'd hate iRacing then :lol: jk

but yes it does have a strange handling, but it's kinda new I haven't felt this with any car in GT5 before, anybody knows the reason ?

MrMelancholy15
I'm about to test the three BRZ / FR-S / 86GT production models against each other at Côte D'Azur, because it's actually almost impossible to take a different line there.

Let us know the times

Nissan GT-R N24 GT Academy ’12 - sucks handling when brake is drift!

Dont mash the brake pedal then. People complain about the car when really, their driving style isnt helping. I drove the car bone stock straight outta the factory for the first time around the Nurb and did not have a single problem with it. Loved the set-up so much its now my base 4WD tune on my cars.

Agreed. Stock around the 'Ring and easy to drive fast.

Brake like it's a sim no problem. Brake like it's arcade, you're going to have a problem.

Don't listen to anyone who is whining about the sound of the HSV-010. The car is flat out amazing and is totally worth the $0.99. The handling and smoothness of the car will make you happy you bought it.

Fully agree on that. If PD fixes the sound though, they will get much more money from the now whiners... 👍

Really like the HSV despite it being very slow; it handles great and has a very natural balance. I did a 2 lap race on the Nurburgring 24hr layout earlier on, just 2 of us. Started out in an Audi A4 DTM and the other guy had an Astra DTM. It was at 600 pp. Fastest lap was 7:55 and the Audi maxed out at 186 with no drafting. We finished within fractions of each other.
Next race the room settings were changed to GT500's at 615pp. Room leader chose the standard model Takata Dome NSX and I opted for the new HSV with a high RPM turbo with the pp value tuned down to be in the limit using quite a low rear aero'. Tuned it to max out at under 200mph. From the off it struggled to keep the older NSX in sight despite it's fantastic grip. After 1 lap it was 8 seconds down. I caught him up after he deliberatly slowed down for me!! Down the straight it maxed at 181mph with no drafting and the fastest lap time was 7:52. Hardly a massive leap from the 600pp Audi! Here's what really made me realise how slow the HSV was though. Entering the straight on the last lap we were neck and neck but the NSX soon pulled away. It crossed the line nearly 2 seconds clear of me. As much as I like the feel of this car, it's hardly progress!

Do you know that when you limit the power you lose the top end torque and the top speed lowers very much? In straights only you lose much time in this track. Try again without turbos and note the top speed with lower pp. Nevertheless, GT500 cars have more downforce and more drag than DTM ones. The gain in grip, they lose in top speed.

Well, that's the view I'm always using and have based my judgement on (and perhaps should've made that clear), it would seem strange though that this effect, if it even exists that is, is only noticeable when using cockpit view although not impossible I guess.
It's indeed a subtle change, we're not talking massive differences here, but fine nuances.
Another thing, most of my cars are fitted with some sort of aftermarket exhaust, not sure that has anything to do with it (enhancing the effect maybe largely lost with a stock version?), although that's irrelevant when comparing racecars like the HSV/NSX obviously.

The more I talk about it, the more I risk looking like a complete tool when it turns out it's non-existent though...

OK so I tried the same two Roadsters with stock and sports exhaust in the cockpit view, this time with no dynamic range compression and Large Theatre setting, and there still didn't seem to be a difference, unfortunately.

One thing that was noticeably different was the time it took to rattle through the gears, obviously the older car being a tiny bit quicker thanks to being run-in. This is not so insignificant as it might seem, though, and could easily change the perception of a sound. Think about how motorbikes don't really sound that different from cars, especially if you put a loud exhaust on both. What really makes a motorcycle engine sound like a motorcycle engine is the rate at which it gains and loses speed. It's that perkiness which gives the impression of a lithe and small-capacity engine. When people talk about an engine "sounding" big or small, this is one of the defining factors in that judgement, since it's actually very difficult to hear displacement (although physical size, or rather distances, can be "heard" in some circumstances).

As such, this small difference in torque across the board could easily make the engine seem meatier, because it's able to pull through the gears a bit better. I've mentioned it before, but the A3 3.2 sounds really quick and perky, whereas the otherwise similar-sounding Golf R32 sounds lethargic and slow, and it totally changes the way each car "feels". It's probably only because of different gear ratios and flywheel weights, but it makes a massive difference to the enjoyment.

OK so I tried the same two Roadsters with stock and sports exhaust in the cockpit view, this time with no dynamic range compression and Large Theatre setting, and there still didn't seem to be a difference, unfortunately.

One thing that was noticeably different was the time it took to rattle through the gears, obviously the older car being a tiny bit quicker thanks to being run-in. This is not so insignificant as it might seem, though, and could easily change the perception of a sound. Think about how motorbikes don't really sound that different from cars, especially if you put a loud exhaust on both. What really makes a motorcycle engine sound like a motorcycle engine is the rate at which it gains and loses speed. It's that perkiness which gives the impression of a lithe and small-capacity engine. When people talk about an engine "sounding" big or small, this is one of the defining factors in that judgement, since it's actually very difficult to hear displacement (although physical size, or rather distances, can be "heard" in some circumstances).

As such, this small difference in torque across the board could easily make the engine seem meatier, because it's able to pull through the gears a bit better. I've mentioned it before, but the A3 3.2 sounds really quick and perky, whereas the otherwise similar-sounding Golf R32 sounds lethargic and slow, and it totally changes the way each car "feels". It's probably only because of different gear ratios and flywheel weights, but it makes a massive difference to the enjoyment.

Okay, thanks for the effort and I might not have completely imagined it then, even though the reason behind this perception is a different one than I thought, so it's not so much the running in period but the result of the running in period which causes it?
So if I'm correct the gearchanges actually become smoother over time? That indeed might result in a slightly different sound as it results in a different frequency when shifting (the engine note picking up sooner I guess and less of a 'pause').
So instead of the actual engine note changing (which I assumed), it's a (slightly) different delivery of that note?

Last edited:
I purchased the BRZ, it's the car I'd use the most between the 3 recent DLC cars. Love the real life sound of the HSV-010, dislike the look of it(prehaps my personal feeling of the HSV being the NSX abortion project plays part also). I like the color of the GTR, but that's all.

Joined a nice & clean JP GT86/FR-S/BRZ Sport Medium, 207HP max, Nurburgring lobby yesterday & had tons of fun with the BRZ.

Last edited:
Back