New DLC September 26: HSV-010, BRZ, GT-R N24 '12

• Thread starter Keshian
  • 1,094 comments
Just tried the HSV today and it doesn't sound bad (subjectively, to my ears), it isn't accurate ofcourse (objectively) but there is a high pitched sound which I didn't hear in that demo video.
Remember that the sound actually changes whilst you break it in and I'm curious what it'll sound like eventually (ofcourse there's only going to be a slight difference but still) after about 300 kilometers.
Not saying I'm pleased with the current sound as I prefer it to be more close to the original obviously, but as inaccurate sounds go they could've cocked up worse. ;)

It does? First I've heard of that.

Just tried the HSV today and it doesn't sound bad (subjectively, to my ears), it isn't accurate ofcourse (objectively) but there is a high pitched sound which I didn't hear in that demo video.
Remember that the sound actually changes whilst you break it in
and I'm curious what it'll sound like eventually (ofcourse there's only going to be a slight difference but still) after about 300 kilometers.
Not saying I'm pleased with the current sound as I prefer it to be more close to the original obviously, but as inaccurate sounds go they could've cocked up worse. ;)

Really? First I ever heard of something like that.

It does? First I've heard of that.

Really? First I ever heard of something like that.

Well, I always notice the sounds changing over time, albeit slightly, they tend to get a bit richer and I think it's been discussed on this forum before although perhaps not very often.
I tend to drive a car I just bought for a very long time until it's broken in, and maybe that's why I notice it, or my mind is playing tricks on me...(hope not as I thought this was more widely known).

Believe me when I say that this has hardly ever been mentioned (at least everywhere I looked) so its very new to me.

Can anyone back me up on this or am I hearing things? :lol:

Seriously though, I always thought I could notice a change, starting to doubt it now if it turns out I'm the only one.

No, I could hear the change too. Tried out the HSV in arcade mode, 3 laps around Motegi, and even by the 2nd lap the exhaust note was a little richer.

Just made 17 BODY KIT variations of the BRZ. Did a time attack at Tsukuba and found the BRZ .02 quicker than the 86 and .08 quicker than the FRS, although the revs feel like they build up slower in the BRZ. The BRZ has more grip and able to adjust turn-in at the apex of a corner; The 86 had too much noticeable understeer; The FRS is very stable through the corners. I also agree with others that it sounds more like a boxer than the 86 & FRS( these two really sound buzzy after driving the BRZ back to back).

Can anyone back me up on this or am I hearing things? :lol:

Seriously though, I always thought I could notice a change, starting to doubt it now if it turns out I'm the only one.

Well, this is news to me - quite keen to test it out. Do you have any idea of the sort of distance required to hear the change? I guess I'll be buying the HSV, then, since it's the only common reference point we have (it's an excuse at least...). :dopey:

Just made 17 BODY KIT variations of the BRZ. Did a time attack at Tsukuba and found the BRZ .02 quicker than the 86 and .08 quicker than the FRS, although the revs feel like they build up slower in the BRZ. The BRZ has more grip and able to adjust turn-in at the apex of a corner; The 86 had too much noticeable understeer; The FRS is very stable through the corners. I also agree with others that it sounds more like a boxer than the 86 & FRS( these two really sound buzzy after driving the BRZ back to back).

It's your imagination. The FR-S and BR-Z handle exactly the same. Perhaps some of your cars need a chassis rebuild.

I did 5 laps each at Nurb comparing the BR-Z and FR-S. No discernible difference. If the cars handled differently, Nurb would expose it. There would be sections more suited to one or the other. I never had so much as a 1 second difference +/- at any sector mark over 10 laps and no consistent sectors where one was any faster than the other.

I also compared them at Tsukuba, Grand Valley and Trial Mountain back to back.

Obsidian-2
It's your imagination. The FR-S and BR-Z handle exactly the same. Perhaps some of your cars need a chassis rebuild.

I did 5 laps each at Nurb comparing the BR-Z and FR-S. No discernible difference. If the cars handled differently, Nurb would expose it. There would be sections more suited to one or the other. I never had so much as a 1 second difference +/- at any sector mark over 10 laps and no consistent sectors where one was any faster than the other.

I also compared them at Tsukuba, Grand Valley and Trial Mountain back to back.

The GT 86 is a little more prone to oversteer but only by a small margin. It's evident in the big curve at Fuji Speedway with comfort soft tyres.

To be honest , I just can't believe the real GT-R N24 '12 has similar tuning or cornering attitude compared to the downloaded hideous and slow virtual version. And, you should be able to drive it in 24 h race @ Nür??
It took about 10-15 minutes tuning to make the car considerably more comfortable and corner happy.
I'd say this is the biggest let down of the three.

Well, this is news to me - quite keen to test it out. Do you have any idea of the sort of distance required to hear the change? I guess I'll be buying the HSV, then, since it's the only common reference point we have (it's an excuse at least...). :dopey:

Well, if I can trust anyone to test it out and prove if I'm talking out of my arse or not it's you, and please be brutally honest as right now I'm increasingly curious (and slightly worried actually..) as to whether it's actually something that occurs in the game or merely a phychological phenomenom. ;)

It's something that I experienced from the beginning (or perhaps think I've experienced) and figured was just a logical aural extention of the entire breaking in aspect of a new car replicated in the game.
It's a change that happens gradually, not sudden (again, maybe only in my mind) and if we take the full break in period as a yardstick (that's roughly 300km/180miles for each car) it happens somewhere during that period although I never timed it.

Maybe the best and easiest way to test it is driving a brand new example and one which at least has done 300km, although I'm pretty sure you already figured that out yourself. ;)

mikull109
No, I could hear the change too. Tried out the HSV in arcade mode, 3 laps around Motegi, and even by the 2nd lap the exhaust note was a little richer.

You're definitely imagining that, cars don't break in when in arcade mode.

I bought the HSV and BRZ last night and I'm happy with the cars.

The HSV sound in GT5 is similar to the in-car sound of the real car. I have a few Super GT races with extra onboard footage and the sound isn't too bad between the two. The sound from outside isn't close on the other hand since the game and incar is all engine sound minus exhaust.

How are guys getting such slow times in the honda? I am getting 6:28 consistently on race mediums. Full tuned on the ring.

Was it the Nordschleife, or the Nürburgring 24h layout? The 24h layout is approximately 2 minutes longer, meaning that you're probably 38 seconds behind the times that analog posted, in reference to the 24h layout, a page or two earlier. 💡 When you say "the 'Ring," please consider, that there are approximately five (or more) Nürburgring layouts, each using its own layout, with its own lap times.

-Nürburgring Type V
-Nürburgring GP/D
-Nürburgring GP/F
-Nürburgring Nordschleife
-Nürburgring 24h
(are there more?)

To be honest , I just can't believe the real GT-R N24 '12 has similar tuning or cornering attitude compared to the downloaded hideous and slow virtual version. And, you should be able to drive it in 24 h race @ Nür??
It took about 10-15 minutes tuning to make the car considerably more comfortable and corner happy.
I'd say this is the biggest let down of the three.

But, it's possible, correct? What PD models in might be a tuning setup for a different track. It's doubtful that anyone make a car specifically for a single annual race. It's more likely that it races in a few different spots, where a different tuning setup would be necessary.

-Nürburgring Type V
-Nürburgring GP/D
-Nürburgring GP/F
-Nürburgring Nordschleife
-Nürburgring 24h

That's all if you don't count the time/weather change versions. There's also a variation missing in GT5, the Müllenbach Circuit.

That's all if you don't count the time/weather change versions. There's also a variation missing in GT5, the Müllenbach Circuit.

This one looks far too thin for GT5. Madrid causes enough chaos in some online races... Going to a track that's effectively one lane wide, would be like a never-ending Karussel. Seriously, try overtaking at the Karussel, and you'll understand.

Monaco is thin and it is still in the game (somewhat. It isn't the exact same as the F1 circuit)

Indeed, if they made it the exact same, they would've been sued. :lol:

But, Monaco's two lanes wide. The NFS: Shift 2 video I posted, and personal knowledge of that area shows that a portion of the Müllenbach track is one-lane wide. Well, that's great, NFS guys, but, passing is pretty hard on a one lane track.

Therefore, no, it really wouldn't fit in GT5, for anything more than just a "Time-trial track," unless they widened it.

Well, if I can trust anyone to test it out and prove if I'm talking out of my arse or not it's you, and please be brutally honest as right now I'm increasingly curious (and slightly worried actually..) as to whether it's actually something that occurs in the game or merely a phychological phenomenom. ;)

It's something that I experienced from the beginning (or perhaps think I've experienced) and figured was just a logical aural extention of the entire breaking in aspect of a new car replicated in the game.
It's a change that happens gradually, not sudden (again, maybe only in my mind) and if we take the full break in period as a yardstick (that's roughly 300km/180miles for each car) it happens somewhere during that period although I never timed it.

Maybe the best and easiest way to test it is driving a brand new example and one which at least has done 300km, although I'm pretty sure you already figured that out yourself. ;)

Well, somewhat embarrassingly, I only have three Premium cars over 300 km. I wasn't sure I could trust the Standards to act their age, so I ruled them out. Anyway, I chose an MX-5 (NC "Roadster") for my preliminary test, and, at 220 miles at least, it sounds the same as a brand spanker (both totally stock), confirmed by recording both of them from the external view.
A quick listen to a demo of my Raybrig NSX at 690 miles sounds pretty much the same as the one in the dealership (maybe that's not fair), too.
Perhaps I ought to have compared the interior views? I rarely use the cockpit view, either, so there might be extra subtlety there that I'm missing.

One thing I've only just noticed is that, with patch 2.08, it seems the "engine" sound is generally quieter now, which means more exhaust gets into the interior views - note the contrast in volume of the external view when looking forwards and behind.
So maybe it's not entirely psychological, and there's still a chance I'm not doing it right (actually, I've just realised I forgot to turn the dynamic range compression off; a change in volume often results in a change in perception of tonality / character - i.e. "louder is always better"). :)

The N24 GTR '12 sounds great during the replay and the cockpit sounds is very similar to the real car. I have the 24H qualifying onboard video, looks like for sound, PD only concentrate on the GTR :(

no amount of breaking in could possibly make the HSV sound remotely good or close to it's real life counterpart.

I don't think that was the point:

Remember that the sound actually changes whilst you break it in and I'm curious what it'll sound like eventually (ofcourse there's only going to be a slight difference but still) after about 300 kilometers.

Nowhere is he saying that it sounds more "realistic", just that it changes.

Last edited:
To say that cars with a considerable amount of mileage sound different compared to brand new cars is like saying that you can tell the difference before and after the car wash.

To say that cars with a considerable amount of mileage sound different compared to brand new cars is like saying that you can tell the difference before and after the car wash.

Imaginably, this would be the case in real life. (You would be able to hear the cylinders grinding less... with more splashing in the oil... blah blah blah)

But, without becoming some sort of gearhead mutant, I don't think that anyone can tell a difference. I'm a producer. I spend hours listening to the small differences in one filter frequency versus another, and even I can't tell the difference.

But, I can say, though, that there is a difference.

Back in the day, I raced go-karts (125cc Honda 4-stroke at Mosport,) and, we'd get new motors, occasionally, that would be slightly slower, but, that sounded really "crisp." Eventually, though, after poor maintenance :ill: and many crashes, etc., the motor started to get a timing problem, meaning that the engine would slightly sputter below 2000 RPM. It made no difference on the track, really, but, in the very low RPM range, the timing problem (advanced cams were letting the fuel in a bit early) made an audible difference.

In cars, though, with 4+ cylinders, and a lot more sound insulation, the noticeable difference is much smaller.

MrMelancholy15
Imaginably, this would be the case in real life. (You would be able to hear the cylinders grinding less... with more splashing in the oil... blah blah blah)

I was making a reference to the in-game car wash as some people claim that they can tell a visual difference after washing their cars. It may be a mind trick, it may not but I think we're dealing with the same question here.

I was making a reference to the in-game car wash as some people claim that they can tell a visual difference after washing their cars. It may be a mind trick, it may not but I think we're dealing with the same question here.

I'm not disagreeing. I'm saying that the differences are miniscule, and noticing them will be difficult.

Latest Posts

Back