New Gran Turismo 7 Video Details PS5 Improvements, Reveals New Cars & Teases Daytona Road Course

• Thread starter Famine
  • 261 comments
Lets be honest for a moment;
What resembles driving a car the most?

1. A steering wheel, pedals and a shifter.
2. Handheld twin joystick device with triggers and buttons.

Not gatekeeping, but you have to understand, your opinion as a padplayer can never be translated into what the dynamics as a driving simulator with a wheel should be like. The disconnect is huge. Theres a bunch of input filtering etc that make it work on a pad. Ive played gt on pad since the beginning and have nothing against it, but pad ppl who think they can have an opinion on driving dynamics are just on really deep water. Just show me a single car thats driven with a ds4. Please.

You are gatekeeing saying people can’t have an opinion on vehicle dynamics, I think you’re confused with forcefeedback being the sole indicator of how a car behaves

I think you’re confused with forcefeedback being the sole indicator of how a car behaves
I was going to say exactly this. There are visual cues, to how a vehicle is behaving, that can be observed regardless of the input method chosen, and since the physics simulation is the same across all input types, observations made are always valid.

I think that, should both their implementations be good, having a wheel will provide you a more in-depth perception of the driving physics. However, there's a big difference between having less perception, and having no perception, which would be required to completely invalidate one's opinion on the matter.

Im done. I will go and play Rbr with ngp6 now, then ill fire upp Acc, maybe some iracing after that. Ill ask around and see how many pad player racedrivers are on there this evening, for offseason practice.... Wow this forum is an echo chamber.
No its not.
Scaff; nice cheeky answer :)
Not really.
Alex wilmot: no, you are dumbing down the argument. But, even with a 6DOF motion rig, you cant simulate constant gforce. Yet, driving with a wheel simulates a car closer than a pad, so the feeling of dynamics should be from here, no?
Is it easier to get a feel for the dynamics with a wheel? Yes.

Does that make it impossible to do so with a pad? No.

I know members here at GTP who are perfectly capable of understanding dynamics of a title accurately with a pad. Dismissing options on dynamics out of hand because of the input device used is a sweeping generality that others have used and ended up looking foolish.

I would put @Wolfe and his views on dynamics up against most and he uses a pad.

GT Academy was such a cool idea. Goes to show that GT simulation while not perfect does in fact translate to real life racing skills.
No, it shows it was an excellent marketing tool, and could have been done with almost any title.

Im done. I will go and play Rbr with ngp6 now, then ill fire upp Acc, maybe some iracing after that. Ill ask around and see how many pad player racedrivers are on there this evening, for offseason practice.... Wow this forum is an echo chamber.
Scaff; nice cheeky answer :)
Alex wilmot: no, you are dumbing down the argument. But, even with a 6DOF motion rig, you cant simulate constant gforce. Yet, driving with a wheel simulates a car closer than a pad, so the feeling of dynamics should be from here, no?
I’ll see you on ACC with my pad then 👍🏻

No its not.

Not really.

Is it easier to get a feel for the dynamics with a wheel? Yes.

Does that make it impossible to do so with a pad? No.

I know members here at GTP who are perfectly capable of understanding dynamics of a title accurately with a pad. Dismissing options on dynamics out of hand because of the input device used is a sweeping generality that others have used and ended up looking foolish.

I would put @Wolfe and his views on dynamics up against most and he uses a pad.

No, it shows it was an excellent marketing tool, and could have been done with almost any title.
Any sim title for sure but then again it was only Sony that was willing to invest the money to make it happen and it went beyond simple marketing into truly engaging with the players in a way that changed people's lives.

Any sim title for sure but then again it was only Sony that was willing to invest the money to make it happen and it went beyond simple marketing into truly engaging with the players in a way that changed people's lives.
Nope again. Both the WRC and Project Cars series have done it.

I’ll see you on ACC with my pad then 👍🏻
I had a quick go on ACC earlier today driving with the keyboard only. I do have a wheel and pad but it was on a break from work and those were in another room. Sacrilege, I know, I actually managed to have a fun race in ACC that way.

Why not? Its true isnt it? You cant have an opinion about vehicle dynamics in "the real driving simulator" if you are "driving" on a pad. Ive played on pad, have nothing against it, but the difference between pad and wheel is huge, even if the wheel implementation still is a bit dodgy. I mean ive had my drivers license for 13 years, never ever have i seen a car with a DS4 in the drivers seat.
I couldn't disagree with this post much more than do. Sure driving with a wheel and pedals is preferable to creating a more immersive experience. But what has that got to do with knowledge and understanding of vehicle dynamics and behaviour?

Additionally, if a driving technique doesn't work on a pad because the physics in the game are wrong then they're wrong. If the technique works then they are good, at least enough to translate a real life driving technique to the game.

Last edited:
Ok, then im just confused why my car doesnt have servos mounted to its steering column and pedals, so i can enjoy driving it from the backseat on a ds4. I mean the physics should be damn near real life... Oh well, must be something they do to with the pad to make IT comply with physics, not the other way around.

Im sure ppl like you are so stubborn to keep their argument they think more and more F1 and wrc drivers will come from driving with a gamepad.

Its just bleh, how dont you see the obvious difference between a gamepad and a steeringwheel. What youre saying is that the wheel is for immersion??? Have you driven a car in real life? They have a wheel for immersion??????? The feedback you get as a driver are through physical controls, that have been that way for over a century, the fact that you can translate one hundreth of the feeling into a shaking joystick is cool, but doesnt mean that the judgment of good vs bad physics should be made from the translated end. It seems like it doesnt matter how i try to explain, youre just dead set louis hamilton will win next year with a ds4 strapped to his forehead, right?
Combining a strawman argument with an argument to the absurd isn't helpful at all.

Nor is this continuing off topic noise.

Anyone who wants to continue this line can start a new thread on it in the correct subforum.

Lets be honest for a moment;
What resembles driving a car the most?

1. A steering wheel, pedals and a shifter.
2. Handheld twin joystick device with triggers and buttons.

Not gatekeeping, but you have to understand, your opinion as a padplayer can never be translated into what the dynamics as a driving simulator with a wheel should be like. The disconnect is huge. Theres a bunch of input filtering etc that make it work on a pad. Ive played gt on pad since the beginning and have nothing against it, but pad ppl who think they can have an opinion on driving dynamics are just on really deep water. Just show me a single car thats driven with a ds4. Please.
200.gif

When interviewed Kaz said there will be similar post launch content to Sport.

"Gran Turismo Sport provided the foundations for the last generation of the series on PS4, and was something you built upon. In a similar way, is GT7 going to be the foundation for this next generation, and how do you intend to build upon it?"

Kazunori Yamauchi: You're absolutely right in saying that GT7 will be something that will progress based on the progression of the PS5 platform. What we will obviously do is add more tracks and more cars as we go along as well. But in terms of the features, there are still some features that we've had in the past titles that still haven't made a comeback yet. That's something that we would like to do. And we also have other ideas on top of that, as well, but it's still too early to start talking about that yet.
I'm really hoping he pointed at B-spec mode 😄

Back