New GT HD Screenshots

6 more nice images. its hard to believe the claims of that running @ 1080p60... Perhaps as it is. But with a track and surroundings that are at least closer to the car quality then not... hmmm This is gonna be cool. :)

I hope they continue to leak stuff like this till release. It does wonders for fan that are waiting and waiting and waiting. I think this day and age production of things have to change in both soft and hardware worlds to include consumers more on the progress and input of them.

...I think this day and age production of things have to change in both soft and hardware worlds to include consumers more on the progress and input of them.

In the old days, you never knew a game was coming out until you saw it on the shelfs in your local games store, and then read the review a week or two later in your favourite games magazine.

Nowadays making games is such big money, that they have to generate interest/revenune much eariler on to fund/part fund the development. The big downside with that, is that it means everyones now waiting for games to be released, and that heaps pressure on the developers. Shame, but such is life.

Hopefully this will satisfy those guys who have a fear of jaggies.

I'm guesssing from that comment your talking about anti aliasing (AA)? :) If so then I for one am not happy with what I can see. There are far too many jagged edges on that Scooby, and I hope PD sort these before final release. However it is a marked improvement over the earlier photos we've seen to date, espically those of the Ferrari 599.

In the old days, you never knew a game was coming out until you saw it on the shelfs in your local games store, and then read the review a week or two later in your favourite games magazine.

Nowadays making games is such big money, that they have to generate interest/revenune much eariler on to fund/part fund the development. The big downside with that, is that it means everyones now waiting for games to be released, and that heaps pressure on the developers. Shame, but such is life.
The good side to it is that developers can improve the game before launching it based on the consumer's feedback. GT4 for instance I believe had some things added just a few weeks before launch, like backfire and the hood camera. I believe those were added because fans of the series were wishing for it.

The good side to it is that developers can improve the game before launching it based on the consumer's feedback. GT4 for instance I believe had some things added just a few weeks before launch, like backfire and the hood camera. I believe those were added because fans of the series were wishing for it.

Good point. Howver if PD really listened to us fans, then they'd never release anything, as we'd always be thinking of new features they should add. :sly:

I'm guesssing from that comment your talking about anti aliasing (AA)? :) If so then I for one am not happy with what I can see. There are far too many jagged edges on that Scooby, and I hope PD sort these before final release.
Honestly, if you guys are having fear reactions to such tiny artifacts at that resolution on an HD TV, you need help. I'd be in racing heaven if I saw this on my TV screen. If you're not, I'd suggest you give up console games until Ultra HD becomes standard in 2029. ;)

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned that there was a co-driver in that Celica Rally Car! Perhaps some realistic rally stages will be included?

Nah.

It's been noticed and mentione before in another thread, I don't know how significant it'll be bu I'm just thinking there's just going to be co-drivers either in all the rally cars, or in all the cars when your doing a special condition type event.

Honestly, if you guys are having fear reactions to such tiny artifacts at that resolution on an HD TV, you need help. I'd be in racing heaven if I saw this on my TV screen. If you're not, I'd suggest you give up console games until Ultra HD becomes standard in 2029. ;)

I'd be very happy if the game looked like that tbh, however the thing that gets me, is that PD have clearly spent some time polishing their car models, however I demand perfection God dammit!!! ;)

But in all seriousness they do look very good, and anyone would be very happy to play a game with such stunning visuals. They just need to sort out a couple of the sponsor logo quality on the side of that Celica.

On a side note it's nice that PD are releasing a few photos for us to drool over :drool:

I know the decals look blurry on those closeups, but keep in mind that those are close ups. I'm not sure that any game won't have graphic detail issues in close in views like that. Target renders are always a different matter. I would be happy as long as I could read the reasonably small text. The decals in Forza blur horribly on the track, and many details are completely illegible. GT HD will be a huge step forward, even if it looks like these examples. I'm more bothered by the trackside graphic details myself. But as you say, there's still plenty of time to improve the graphics.

I'm guesssing from that comment your talking about anti aliasing (AA)? :) If so then I for one am not happy with what I can see. There are far too many jagged edges on that Scooby, and I hope PD sort these before final release. However it is a marked improvement over the earlier photos we've seen to date, espically those of the Ferrari 599.

I think most of those come from the fact that those pictures are at very high resolution, and scaled down for most computers. Just a guess.

I know the decals look blurry on those closeups, but keep in mind that those are close ups. I'm not sure that any game won't have graphic detail issues in close in views like that. Target renders are always a different matter. I would be happy as long as I could read the reasonably small text. The decals in Forza blur horribly on the track, and many details are completely illegible. GT HD will be a huge step forward, even if it looks like these examples. I'm more bothered by the trackside graphic details myself. But as you say, there's still plenty of time to improve the graphics.

I think it's just me being far to pickie, and I just hate to see these beautiful car models let down by a few poor quality details.
I've just been looking at the Car Modelling screenshots from the 2006/10/27, and on the back of the same Scooby Impreza, you can even make out the hole for the boot key to go into. WOW!!!!!

However, with all this in mind, we shouldn't get to carried away with the visuals, as we've still not seen first hand how well the next game will look in real life whilst stood in front of a nice HD TV. Only time will tell, if PD can project these excellent visuals into the final game.

I do have to agree with you about the trackside detail. But I wouldn't worry too much, as it's clear that since those first screens back in late September, that things have clearly moved forward in a big way.

One thing I'm curious about is whether the garage resolution will be greater than the track resolution, as it is in many games like this (GT, Forza). In GT4, it's pretty close, but in Forza, it's very different. Like I say, when you do small decals and there's a close up pan of the car on the track, they blur sometimes to an illegible blotch. In the on-track pics released of Forza 2 however, they look distinct and legible, even with antialiasing.

Preliminary games are (almost) always nerfed in comparison to the quality when it finally gets released. Right now, if you look closely at the textures in MGS4, they're quite low res but still good enough that it gets the necessary impression across. I'm assuming that GT HD will be stellar when it comes out, and Gran Turismo 5 will be downright intergalactic.

I don't think there will be a great deal of difference between the quality of the cars and/or track detail between GT:HD and GT5. There will be at very least 2 years between them, but I can't imagine PD would have the time to seriously uprate the visuals in that short space of time. You'll find a few extra tweeks here and there for sure, but nothing note worthy.

There wasn't a great deal of difference between GT:P and GT4 when it finally came out. Don't forget that PD are still finding their feet with the PS3, and by the time GT6 comes out, they will be looking to get more from the console and be able to deliver us better visuals, and a better racing game in general. So the big hike in visuals will/should be between GT5 and GT6. Just my take on things.

I think J8mie is right. Gran Turismo 3 was a huge advance over GT2. I know some would argue otherwise, but though GT4 was a slight advance, it had discreet improvements in many areas. I suspect that GT6 will have a much more advanced game engine, making better use of the Cell Broadband architecture, and will be a slight step forward over GT5 but markedly better in graphics and some other areas. Also, many more cars and tracks.

Just seen the six pictures on the site FatAssBR posted back on Friday in Post #64. The driver detail looks amazing. We didn't see ANY visible drivers of any kind back with Gran Turismos 1 and 2. GT3 offered mostly sihouettes for drivers (excluding the F1 race cars). GT4 had a mix of sihouettes for most cars and visible drivers for convertibles and single-seaters. GTHD brings the prospect of full-on 3D drivers. I still think the most interesting deal is if there would be a such thing as customizable drivers. I touched on this in an old GTHD thread about the chances we could see driver customization. The driver details look amazing. You can actually see the detail ranging from the driver helmet all the way down to the driver's shoes. I'd like to maybe see a video of animated drivers in terms of not being in the car. The detail is wonderful. PD have outdone themselves with this. I do like the blue helmets. Blue is my kind of color, especially something like that. In this picture: < http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/binary/images/376/p85a.jpg >, the co-driver looks like he (or she) sleeping. But I'm sure the co-driver is just looking at the notes.

I guess the storyline for our own (and my good buddy) cobragt in GT4 was the Human Element. Certainly the human side of GTHD and GT5 will be well enhanced. I'd love to see how all of this plays out on release day.

I think J8mie is right. Gran Turismo 3 was a huge advance over GT2. I know some would argue otherwise, but though GT4 was a slight advance, it had discreet improvements in many areas. I suspect that GT6 will have a much more advanced game engine, making better use of the Cell Broadband architecture, and will be a slight step forward over GT5 but markedly better in graphics and some other areas. Also, many more cars and tracks.

Are you forgetting that GT2 was PS1 and GT3 was PS2. The big jump was due to the upgrade in power. GT4 was mostly adding content to GT3. So I would predict the big jump here WILL be with GT5 with the power of the PS3. GT6 is where you get the large content game.

Just seen the six pictures on the site FatAssBR posted back on Friday in Post #64. The driver detail looks amazing. We didn't see ANY visible drivers of any kind back with Gran Turismos 1 and 2. GT3 offered mostly sihouettes for drivers (excluding the F1 race cars). GT4 had a mix of sihouettes for most cars and visible drivers for convertibles and single-seaters. GTHD brings the prospect of full-on 3D drivers. I still think the most interesting deal is if there would be a such thing as customizable drivers. I touched on this in an old GTHD thread about the chances we could see driver customization. The driver details look amazing. You can actually see the detail ranging from the driver helmet all the way down to the driver's shoes. I'd like to maybe see a video of animated drivers in terms of not being in the car. The detail is wonderful. PD have outdone themselves with this. I do like the blue helmets. Blue is my kind of color, especially something like that. In this picture: < http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/binary/images/376/p85a.jpg >, the co-driver looks like he (or she) sleeping. But I'm sure the co-driver is just looking at the notes.

I guess the storyline for our own (and my good buddy) cobragt in GT4 was the Human Element. Certainly the human side of GTHD and GT5 will be well enhanced. I'd love to see how all of this plays out on release day.

It's an interesting point you make about the level of detail PD are putting into the drivers. As far as I can see there are two schools of thought about this.
1) Why are PD wasting their time giving us masses of detail of the drivers, when 99% of the time we won't even see them. Which begs the question, why are they going to such great lengths to model the driver. Is this for the interior camera view where we might see their hands and fore arms, or just for replay purposes.
2) Are PD simply getting carried away with the level of detail they are trying to install into the final game. Could their efforts not be better spent on improveing car models or trackside detail.

Personnally I think it's great PD are taking the time to model the driver + co driver, and it only adds to the realism of the game. I also like the idea of being able to customise your own driver's livery. 👍

Gosh I havent been here for afew days and alot of new info, I love the new pics, its nice of PD to keep us informed like this rather than having long periods of waiting for news! I really hope they work on the environments as much as the cars, like spectators, bulidings, grass, fences, parked fire vehicles etc.. make it look amazing! Im also still waiting for the first damage shot, hopefully PD wont dissapoint!

The impreza vid really impressed me...... wow one thing that caught my eye was the bit at like 00:57 onwards for afew seconds, that shot with the jerky helicopter angle and the car slightly sliding to find grip made it look like it was really WRC footage! The cars glass it really realistic, in one shot you can see the curvature in its reflection and like the glass in uneven (dunno how to discribe it) but it looks like the door frame is straining the glass as it is held in position, you can see the tension!

Robin

Oh and for the people who keep asking, GTHD Premium is basically GT5 Prologue and GTHD Classic is GT4 Online (in HD)

Are you forgetting that GT2 was PS1 and GT3 was PS2. The big jump was due to the upgrade in power. GT4 was mostly adding content to GT3. So I would predict the big jump here WILL be with GT5 with the power of the PS3. GT6 is where you get the large content game.
Yes, I'm aware that GT2 was on the PS1, and it was oogly too. But the immense content and gameplay were so good, I forgave the graphics.

But you may be right about GT5. Polyphony will have had two years or more to tweak the engine, so that our GT5 Prologue in GT HD may be distinctly improved for the real sequel to Gran Turismo 4. And with all the work Polyphony will be doing for GT HD, this could mean a lot of content for GT5.

And Robin, interesting review. I was mightily impressed myself.

Personnally I think it's great PD are taking the time to model the driver + co driver, and it only adds to the realism of the game. I also like the idea of being able to customise your own driver's livery. 👍

Amen to that! Maybe they'll have a bunch of uniform patches you'll be able to pick from, or better yet a patch editor/creator, and of course a paintshop for your helmet. Ohh, the possibilities... :drool:

First of all, you all can comment about what driver details should be added in my thread entitled "Rider Gear? How About Driver Gear?" at < https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81432 >. My emphasis from that thread was centered upon my Tourist Trophy pondering of changing up driver outfits to one's liking.

Here's my thing on the drivers. You'll normally note the drivers at times in saloon cars (closed-top cars for the rest of us). I sincerely doubt you'll always see the driver if a camera is perched way up somewhere on a day when the sun is beating down on the windshields and cars (an effect I hope PD tries to replicate for GTHD and/or GT5). But look at it this way. Forza had visible drivers in it. So it isn't like you never see the driver at all under any circumstances. My best reason for PD going to this sort of length is that more details make better games nowadays. Think back to when Pole Position didn't have you do things like make pit stops or properly control an open-wheel race car (I'm not sure if it is an Indy Car or a Formula One car you use). Now look at "Formula One World Championship" for the PS3. You have to master everything from proper driving to endurance. In using the same example, Pole Position didn't have much in the way of innovative graphics or sound. Games nowadays have everything from realistic engine sounds to excited fans. So while you may never see the driver in full detail, at least you don't want a low-detailed driver piloting a very detailed racing machine. So it's a matter of a few things:

1.) PD pushing the PS3 to the limit in showing what is highly possible for the PS3 that is highly impossible, or at least without as much quality or clarity, of the PS2.

2.) offering as much detail to really make the game seem more like real life as opposed to virtual reality.

PD just wants to make ends meet more or less. They'll do everything in their power so that this game doesn't end up a flop on so many levels. Detail, however, is only a fraction of what makes a game shine. A game has to shine with depth, quality, enjoyment, and satisfaction among key points of emphasis. Some of these elements can be forgotten and the game will still be fun. You just can't have all these elements removed. Otherwise, you'll have a game worse than "Thunder Truck Rally." You'll just have another "Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing." So that's my deal as to why PD decided to show off the detail as they have.

And I quote from "Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing" ...

"You're Winner!" -infamous quote from "Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing"

Latest Posts

Back