New Hanoi Circuit Revealed for 2020 Formula One Vietnam Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by GTPNewsWire, Nov 8, 2018 at 11:30 AM.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

2. Nuschel01

Nuschel01

This will end up like the (boring af) tracks in India and Korea imho :boggled:

Coquico and Droors77 like this.
  3. Normalaatsra

Normalaatsra

That circuit is really fit for F1, very wide road width for overtaking and has a a cool challenge. My only concern is that all of the proposed Liberty Media-era street circuits follow a design formula to have these overextending dual carriageway roads to serve as a high-speed straight and complex u-turn roundabout. That was a highly mocked point about the proposed Miami street circuit with it's bay bridge extension.

For example in Gran Turismo 5, the Madrid city circuit incorporated this idea in its full 'GP' layout of the track. The final section extends to a roundabout. It flowed nicely and it was medium at length so it wasn't purposely designed to be an 'overtaking' section. Miami's proposed F1 circuit was shoved-in instead just so the race goes along a bridge and therefore is attractive to fans.

Whodoyouthink likes this.
  4. TetsuKobura

TetsuKobura Premium

Another race where it needs a safety car for good racing. How about lowering the cost to host European races and bring Nurb GP back?

5. The Chosen One

The Chosen One

6. TTM

TTM

This looks like the worst track I’ve seen in my life.

tbwhhs and Droors77 like this.
  7. potvinsuks

potvinsuks

Out of the 21 races on the F1 schedule 10 of them are already in Europe including Hockenheim..

moxlox likes this.
  8. Sentry87

Sentry87

I actually like it. Ridiculously long straights into slow corners perfect for overtaking. Some fast, medium corners. That whindy bit in the middle.

moxlox likes this.
  9. VincentVendetta

VincentVendetta

I mean, it's not as bad as the proposed Miami circuit was... but also...

10. TetsuKobura

TetsuKobura Premium

I probably should’ve reworded that.

My original intent with this statement was there’s so many better tracks that could be added to the calendar, but instead they add these terrible street circuits. It seems like a step in the wrong direction, not to mention the controversy with silverstone and FOM certainly doesn’t help either.

11. Northstar

Northstar Premium

It can't be any worse than 9/10 of the current ones so I'll give it a shot.

TheElbows likes this.
  12. moxlox

moxlox

Well I really like the look of this track. And Hanoi would be a cool place to visit.

13. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Premium

Looks decent, all the high speed straights are right after each other, so will have a decent opportunity for overtaking. Unlike Austin on which has squiggly bits between its two major straight to separate the cars. For an F1 track i think this one may work nicely

14. TheElbows

TheElbows

It looks like...almost every other modern F1 track. I wish I could say that's a good thing. It's all for naught if they can't figure out how to make the racing better. However, if this takes the place of another boring track, I can't complain about some new scenery.

15. baldgye

baldgye Premium

This is what people said about Baku

16. Nuschel01

Nuschel01

And I still think that track is terrible

17. baldgye

baldgye Premium

Despite the fact it's produced some great races?

18. Nuschel01

Nuschel01

It only did so because of weird stuff happening :D I don‘t know, I just don‘t like it and think there would be more actual race tracks to choose from that could create better racing

19. twitcher

twitcher

What would those actual race tracks be?

There are very few circuits in the world that would either suit an F1 car, or that F1 hasn’t already been to. Most classic circuits that people like are way to small for modern F1 cars, races would be like Monaco. And the modern circuits that F1 has been to, everyone hates those circuits because they’re terrible Tilke-droms.

So aside from Turkey, what circuits are there that are “good”, and would produce equally good racing?

20. Nuschel01

Nuschel01

Fuji, Nürburgring, Magny-Cours, Portimao, Imola, Jerez or Sepang just to name a few.

The problem with Tilke tracks are their hideous runoff-areas where a mistake isn‘t punished instantly.

21. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43 Premium

Here's a video of a lap of the track.

22. kikie

kikie Premium

That is an odd looking track but I think I'm going to like it (in race sims).

23. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

Damn that's fast. Gotta love the sim modding community :tup:

The first part of the track looks cookie cutter but the esses before the end looks pretty fun to drive. Unfortunately it won't be conducive to close following with current aero regs. Also you can just imagine if someone wipes out on the first lap while the cars are closely bunched it will take out half the grid due to the high speeds, blind corners and nowhere to go...

24. Robin

Robin Premium

I can imagine this will run for 2 years max then be pulled.

They should stop holding these races in emerging countries because the local population usually cannot afford the overpriced tickets. Also F1 usually overestimates the interest in motorsport in some of these countries and few people actually care about a race being held there.