New official GT5:P & GT5 Wheel by Logitech and PD + GT5:P release dates confirmation

• Thread starter amar212
  • 190 comments
Not sure why anyone would compare it to the G25. This is not a replacement to something that was never officially released as a "Drive Force Pro" replacement. The G25 is not cheap nor is it a mainstream product. Its like the Mercedes of wheels. The driving force pro is more like a Lexus :). This new wheel is like a Lexus "F" model.

G25's are for the hardcore enthusiasts, DFP GT is just for the enthusiast. Cheaper and more practical.

I think it's also worth noting that this wheel isn't of the Logitech G series. Hopefully they'll release one that is, and it will be to the G25 what this wheel is to the DFP. I really dig the controls on the wheel, but I like the feel of the G25 wheel more than I did the DFP, especially the metal paddles. And if they don't release a better wheel, then you can bet your sweet @ss that I'll be looking into making this wheel work with the G25 shifter and pedals. Maybe cut out the sequential shifter on the wheel base and make a drink holder...hah!

I hope this GT25 is the answer or whatever is coming next. I want to get the best wheel I can for Sub $400 and its looking like this newly announced wheel isn't going to cut it. I want more :sly:

No clutch, no H-shift. This is a crime. But damn! I want the brake bias, and the horn to tell ppl online that "Yes I am passing you, don't ram me."

What is brake bias?

The balance of braking power forward and backwards. Changing it on the fly can help to get through different corners better.

Just wanted to add a hands on experience with the new wheel from a site.

Just moments after Logitech officially announced the new Driving Force GT for PS3, we rushed over to Sony and gave it a spin. An observer casually noted, "isn't it nice to have rumble on the PS3?" We'd have to agree with this sentiment -- but the Driving Force GT offers much more than just rumble.

The wheel feels incredibly sturdy, and offers a surprising amount of resistance when making turns, crashing into walls, and more. The force offered by the wheel rivals those found in arcade cabinets. The wheel makes Gran Turismo 5 feel like a completely different game. Playing in cockpit mode with the controller is incredibly immersive. With wheel in hand, this does feel like the "real driving simulator" that GT promises to be.

While the wheel is impressive, we were a bit underwhelmed by the pedals, which lack the heft that makes the wheel so impressive. The pedals need a bit more resistance to feel a bit more realistic, and need to be heavier, so they don't move forward so much. Regardless, we're impressed by this incredible effort of bringing home an arcade experience. Considering the asking price ($150), Logitech needed to make a high quality peripheral. We think they succeeded.

Just wanted to add a hands on experience with the new wheel from a site.

Just moments after Logitech officially announced the new Driving Force GT for PS3, we rushed over to Sony and gave it a spin. An observer casually noted, "isn't it nice to have rumble on the PS3?" We'd have to agree with this sentiment -- but the Driving Force GT offers much more than just rumble.

The wheel feels incredibly sturdy, and offers a surprising amount of resistance when making turns, crashing into walls, and more. The force offered by the wheel rivals those found in arcade cabinets. The wheel makes Gran Turismo 5 feel like a completely different game. Playing in cockpit mode with the controller is incredibly immersive. With wheel in hand, this does feel like the "real driving simulator" that GT promises to be.

While the wheel is impressive, we were a bit underwhelmed by the pedals, which lack the heft that makes the wheel so impressive. The pedals need a bit more resistance to feel a bit more realistic, and need to be heavier, so they don't move forward so much. Regardless, we're impressed by this incredible effort of bringing home an arcade experience. Considering the asking price ($150), Logitech needed to make a high quality peripheral. We think they succeeded.

First, I would suggest by the hype the hands-on journalist is putting up, that he/she has never used the DFP nor the G25 on the series before. Therefore, the big reaction for something like this. It is blatantly obvious from the construction of the wheel that it is only a DFP with some modifications.

And $150 is actually too little for a proper wheel. I remember $299 or $350 (I can't remember exactly) was the base price for DFP/G25. With all this, I conclude that this is probably just like some kid getting their first wheel, and being fascinated at nothing special.

Of course, I have to give credit to the brake-bias knob (stolen from Ferrari, but yes...). It's nice to have that in GT.

What is brake bias?

The ratio of how much braking force goes to the front and rear wheels, eg some standand road cars have 60:40, 60% front 40% rear, in racing you may want to change that ratio depending on how much fuel weight you have on board.

This brake bias and dampeners adjustments may just indicate how deep GT5 physics will go, especially noticable with racing cars (which no one has tested out yet)

I think I can understand Logitech.

That is all a matter of marketing.
GT series is one of the top-sales franchise for PS3.
PD, Sony and Logitech DO need SALES with both the game and the wheel.
And 150$ wheel is a mainstream product, while G25 is for those who want more.
Personally I don't like the new DF GT, but it is very good at its price.

P.S. dear PD and Logitech plz keep supporting the G25, or I can.....
where is my RED BUTTON?

Wheel description
And with anti-backlash gearing, there is no slack in the steering response, making any race a smooth, realistic experience.
This single sentence is what sounds like the big problem. The DFP was said to have the very same gearing and we now know how smooth it really was. So this indeed seems to be a DFP with a couple of new buttons and a slightly bigger wheel.

Dont belive they wil take off clunch and H skift for the G25 wheel,,,,the japanise version
have it right now,,,why take it off,,,,?

Just out of curiousity why is so many willing to pay for "licensed" stuff?

Anyway that really seems to be essentially a DFP... It doesn´t mention anything about using dual motors like the G25... Which has it´s drawbacks though or being belt driven or any changes at all. If anything the wheel now seem to have the shape of the G25 which is worse then the DFPs? Why take the worst part of the G25 and apply to this wheel? As for the adjustable brake bias and such... Seems to me like they wanted a gimmick so they can market the wheel maybe get people to sell the DFP... Ever wondered why they have discontinued that one and you can get them for 50$? However they would want something that didn´t cost anything to develope so they came up with this...

What is the problem with adjusting the brake bias by assigning brake bias forward and backward to hotkeys like you have been able to do on the Pc for I don´t know how long? I have never understood why it´s forbidden to assign the controls yourself for console games.

Seriously the Fanatec 911 RS wheel I see as primarily weapon of choice... Sure the G25 has considerably better pedals but GT 5 is not a simulation after all and you will probably be fine with lesser pedals. Despite the flaws the 911 RS pedals is surely better then the DFP (if they hold up that is...)

Ok, so brake bias adjustment is in...

Does this mean that GT5 finally gives us the ability to lock up the wheels? Is god-like ABS no longer mandatory on vehicles spanning the last hundred years?

Can you lock up in prologue?

This new wheel somehow reminds me of a Hyandai. Looks as though it was build to a very tight budget, and they managed to turn a blind eye on what makes the G25 so popular. It’s not ugly… but they certainly could have done a hell of a lot better. I remember my oldschool PS1 Madcatz wheel came with leather… 11 years on; all I see is cheap, cheesy golf ball-textured plastic. The same used in most Deawoo’s

Oh… No clutch pedal? That was the least to expect. :guilty:

That said, if you actually squint/blur your eyes a bit… it doesn’t look that bad. And I quite like the options of changing the cars settings during a race :)

@cubits: I did read some time ago that you will be able to lock brakes in GT5... maybe not Prologue.

I've never liked the idea of brakes locking up in video games, because you receive no input whatsoever from the pedal that you are about to lock up until you start hearing the screaching and its too late

Until I get proper sensory input from the controls concerning brake performance and lockup I'm fine without lockups

As for the wheel, I thought they should have made it just $100 or $125 considering it is just the DFP with a slightly bigger wheel and adjustment dials.

And I hope they fixed the pedals. My DFP pedals have been giving me fits for the longest

I'll upgrade to this but I do feel like a sucker

[Somewhat offtopic] I managed to lock fronts in Daihatsu HiJet today.. but then again, that was on icy, snow-covered road, with skinny yet fresh studded tyres. luckily the AWD wasn't on so quick lock and throttle control turned understeer to oversteer and the trip continued sideways :D yay for minivans that are more realistic than latest driving simulators! [/Somewhat offtopic]

yeah, that wheel is hideous. I'll keep my G25 and try to make the adjustments otherwise.

I don't know if the new DFP features are good or not, because i don't know how many car that will be in GT5P or GT5 allow driver to ajust braking balance in the real life.
Only Race cars and maybe some supercars can do that. On the other hand cluch pedal and H shifter is a standard feature for most of the cars !

Great Videos, nice find :)
I wonder if the new GT5P has full animations when turning the full 900 degrees.
And The FFB look a lot smoother now, but we wont know until a review.

those features are just something to go wrong. I don't think that there's much drivers who'd like to adjust their ABS or brake balance or TCS when they're blasting 120mph towards a hairpin. cheesy, I say.

Shame on you Logitech.. you're not Madkatz, so no need for fancy little switches and doodahs to sell..

Shame on you Logitech.. you're not Madkatz, so no need for fancy little switches and doodahs to sell..

Do you think their target is owners of G25s and DFPs? I see nothing wrong with a "revision" of an already great product. Just the price should have been $99.

Hm, I'd rather wouldn't go that way if I were you. Polyphony Digiital designed the functionality of this wheel in order to correspond with new functions of future GT games.

So, with or without skills to balance your driving while aproaching the hairpin, notice those functions are obviusely here to stay and to be important in the gameplay. Will you use it or not - the choice is yours.

I guess nobody is forcing anyone to buy THIS wheel in order to play future GT games. All previous wheels generations will bee compatible with all new GT games, but if you will have a need to fully exploit all new functions inside the game - you can give Logitech a 150$. If you want of course.

:)

I still tink its a great addition. Think about it, as people mentioned before, when it starts to rain in the middle of a long race, its good to have controls at your finger tips. How about when your tires wear out, and your 650 HP beats cant handle them, what you do you turn your traction controls and what not and you can still keep going.
I wish once you pit the car that you can switch all the controls there as well, that be awesome.

I've never liked the idea of brakes locking up in video games, because you receive no input whatsoever from the pedal that you are about to lock up until you start hearing the screaching and its too late

Until I get proper sensory input from the controls concerning brake performance and lockup I'm fine without lockups

IMO - And in the real world most vehicles with ABS give you feedback when the ABS kicks in. And if the ABS kicks in there is no lock-up theoretically.

When there is no ABS, there is no feedback from the pedals. Yes, Steering control goes out the window, and you can hear the squeal (but nothing from the pedals).

So for me - I would like tire lockup while breaking to be a part of the equation.

Lots of talk about the G25? Have you guys heard about the Fanatec 911 RS wheel? I and several more here are beta testing it and it´s well worth looking out for... https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=102017 I do have the G25 but after testing this wheel it´s sure I can´t keep racing with it. Will be the 911 RS wheel or more high end wheels. Pedals well they are better then the DFPs for sure but well they is the weak link anyway I feel but it is being worked upon.

Don´t want to bring this off topic but just as a heads up Fanatec don´t have the marketing resources like Logitech do ;).

this thread has helped me make up my mind...gonna get the G25

the reason i've held off buying it was i always thought that the Gran Tursimo wheel would be a step forward from the G25 or atleast an updated version to include the Gran Turismo branding and a PS button

i never thought it would be two steps back from the G25 (no H shift, no clucth)...thank you all for your inputs

My DFP is wore out so I will get the DFGT wheel.
I like the adjustments on the wheel, GT5 is supposed to have variable weather & I can sure see the need for adjusting brake bias & traction control there as well as when the fuel level changes & when the tires start wearing out.

The clutch on the G25 is nice but I didn't care if it had a H gate & why is it separate from the wheel?
That's great if you have a playseat or other dedicated chair but for most people it's just something else you have to figure out how to mount solidly.

Like I said I'll get it because my current wheel is wore out but I'll hope for a higher quality wheel to be introduced with the full GT5 launch.

Back