New Thrustmaster F1 Wheel?

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 660 comments
Ah that reminds of that fixed paddle mod for the t500rs. In that thread we discussed some cars that have fixed paddles. I personally wasn't even aware of that many myself.

Wow. Could have sworn the paddles were on the wheel with the Ferrari? Doesn't make sense considering most of their tech comes from F1. I know it makes sense that you don't want to down/up shift in corners when your wheel is mostly turned but still.

Learn something new everyday :dopey:

Wow. Could have sworn the paddles were on the wheel with the Ferrari? Doesn't make sense considering most of their tech comes from F1. I know it makes sense that you don't want to down/up shift in corners when your wheel is mostly turned but still.

Learn something new everyday :dopey:

Yeh i was once lucky enough to drive a DB9 on a track and the stationery paddles took the piss. plus they were a lot smaller than the t500's

Yeh i was once lucky enough to drive a DB9 on a track and the stationery paddles took the piss. plus they were a lot smaller than the t500's

How was the DB9? Raced a couple of Aston's in LA with my STI when I lived there but not a DB9. Got smoked by a DBS :( but not off the line :)

The db9 was wicked .... Understeered a lot but it was in road tyres it was the best sounding car by far even if it was slow compared to LAMBOS AND 911 turbos best day out ever tho

I agree that they sound wicked. I worked in downtown LA across from the staples center and there are some high end apartments on the other side of where I worked. There was a person with a DBS that would come out and I could always here the exhaust bellowing (may have mispelled) off the buildings when he was on it.

Not sure about the accuracy of this, but the following was posted in a thread on the ISR forums:

Naturally, one of the point of the presentation was about the fact that thrustmaster will produce other Ferrari replica wheel t500 compatible in the future...and the retail price will be around 150 euros (169 Dollars for USA).

All the buttons work and are programmable...
Only the two Thumb rotary works, the other are fake..

Yeah Durandal I just asked that dude for clarification. His posts are poorly written. I guess Thrustmaster is obviously waiting til later to release a press release. until then we have to deal with lots of unreliable info it appears :ill:

[edit] Shaun Cole says both on the forums and in the latest weekly (at 10:23) that Andres Nee is getting the real scoop from both Thrustmaster and Ferrari and it should be posted shortly. So I'll probably just wait on that

Ah that guy came back and clarified so it sounds like everything will function as expected (well, almost still sounds like somethings don't work which is not making me happy)

Last edited:
Not bad. A little bit of competition for Fanatec, which is always good for the consumers. 👍

+1

I can see myself buying such a wheel if I get more into sims/games with F1 cars. I am not a F1 simdriver, but I have started to use the Williams FW31(?) in iRacing. F1 2010 game did not hold my attention very long...but I am interested in reading reviews for F1 2011 and see how it is received by sim racers.

Ah that guy came back and clarified so it sounds like everything will function as expected (well, almost still sounds like somethings don't work which is not making me happy)

I went and read his post, quoted below for the people here. It sounds like all the dials on the face of the wheel are fake, which is sort of a bummer, but everything else except those work.

I think it's not really as bad as it might seem, considering just how many controls there actually are: 2 paddles, 8 buttons, 3 switches, 2 rotaries, and -2 analog sticks-.

Amusingly, this adds up to the exact number of functions, ignoring the motion sensor, on a DS3 controller, assuming the analog sticks on the wheel are not clickable, and you map the paddles to clicking the thumbsticks, and the rotaries to the d-pad functions.

That's all in addition to the basic wheel/pedals of course, and perhaps the original paddle shifters and L3/R3 on the T500 base, plus the shifter if one buys that too.

Ok, let me explain...
All the buttons works! and are made with good quality...
the paddles shift work...and are well distanced from the original one so you can drive without any problem

But the rotary swith with:
The Ferrari Logo in the center,
Rev
Boost
Mix
Tyre
and GRP
are STICKER...they are fake...

Kers
Pitlane
Dif in
CHRG
Neutral
Pit
Pump
DRS
+10
BO
Start
WET
Works and are fully programmable

Also you can map the two analog ministick..

Maybe now it's more clear

Yeah it all makes perfect sense I was doubtful the t500rs base could support that many buttons but honestly my "hype" overrode my common sense

I think both Fanatec f1 rim and this new t500rs f1 rim are pretty much on equal footing now. Both seem very limited in this regard.

Granted, I guess 20 are so buttons would seem overwhelming. All is not lost for GT racing I can just use a button box. But now my hype has went down a tiny bit for this rim. More pumped for the t8rs shifter again.

Now I'm dubious about the attached shifters. Surely those work I should double check with that dude again

+1

I can see myself buying such a wheel if I get more into sims/games with F1 cars. I am not a F1 simdriver, but I have started to use the Williams FW31(?) in iRacing. F1 2010 game did not hold my attention very long...but I am interested in reading reviews for F1 2011 and see how it is received by sim racers.

Yeah I own that car in iRacing but since I'm only Class D I am just focusing on the Skippy. As you know (but benefit for other readers), it uses a GT rim though even though it's a Formula car (maybe thats the wrong term but u guys know what I mean?)

I went and read his post, quoted below for the people here. It sounds like all the dials on the face of the wheel are fake, which is sort of a bummer, but everything else except those work.

I think it's not really as bad as it might seem, considering just how many controls there actually are: 2 paddles, 8 buttons, 3 switches, 2 rotaries, and -2 analog sticks-.

Amusingly, this adds up to the exact number of functions, ignoring the motion sensor, on a DS3 controller, assuming the analog sticks on the wheel are not clickable, and you map the paddles to clicking the thumbsticks, and the rotaries to the d-pad functions.

That's all in addition to the basic wheel/pedals of course, and perhaps the original paddle shifters and L3/R3 on the T500 base, plus the shifter if one buys that too.

I wonder if you can actually rotate all the switches even if they're not operational. If you can, you can count on someone modding it so that they work eventually.

This wheel does fantastic and i am surprised so much of the stuff works :)

ALso we really cannot compare fanatec and thrustmaster as this wheel looks great but it is made out of OKish plastic i believe were as the fanatec is high quality

I have added the important things to my site... see signature for link :)

Last edited:
I wonder if you can actually rotate all the switches even if they're not operational. If you can, you can count on someone modding it so that they work eventually.

Too bad, thanks for the info.

Still, the "switches" can be drilled out/cut off to make way for real rotary encoders. It looks like there might even be space to fit an SLI pro to wire them too and have a functional rev meter/display. Of course, those functions would be pc only however.

I should add that i think thrustmaster will have to be competitive with their pricing... i.e. 450 maybe with the wheel or even less due to the fact that it would be competing with fanatec otherwise on price

I'm actually confused.

So someone said that the T500RS will be sold with the F1 wheel in some sort of package. Yet, the TM website has different sets of pedals listed - one called "GT" and one called "F1". Are there packages with them as well or would I have to purchase the, for example, "F1" set since the "GT" one is included in every package?

I'm actually confused.

So someone said that the T500RS will be sold with the F1 wheel in some sort of package. Yet, the TM website has different sets of pedals listed - one called "GT" and one called "F1". Are there packages with them as well or would I have to purchase the, for example, "F1" set since the "GT" one is included in every package?

There are only one set of pedals, but you can also invert them. So floor mounted style is called F1-style and inverted one is called GT-style.

If most of those buttons on the rim really don't work, then this rim is extremely overpriced (if costing 149€) and kind of pointless.

There are only one set of pedals, but you can also invert them. So floor mounted style is called F1-style and inverted one is called GT-style.

If most of those buttons on the rim really don't work, then this rim is extremely overpriced (if costing 149€) and kind of pointless.

Ah, that makes sense - thanks. :)

Yet, as long as it's only about the little adjusters - no problem. I'd really hate to see non-functional buttons, tho. :/

I think to have the prancing horse logo all buttons had to be modelled.

I would have thought Ferrari would be reluctant to endorse something that isn't based on real world tech.

I think to have the prancing horse logo all buttons had to be modelled.

I would have thought Ferrari would be reluctant to endorse something that isn't based on real world tech.

But all the middle buttons not working kind of makes it a worse choise than the Fanatec F1 rim for the same price IMO... though the thumb rotary buttons are very nice... and seem to work from what Ive read here...

But all the middle buttons not working kind of makes it a worse choise than the Fanatec F1 rim for the same price IMO... though the thumb rotary buttons are very nice... and seem to work from what Ive read here...

The thought had crossed my mind that not all the buttons would be used on PS3. For them not to even work on PC is a bit meh. Some on here were quick to assume otherwise and expect this to blow away the Fanatec. As for this being the same price as the Fanatec "Formula Rim" when did they say it was the same kind of price?"

What Thomas did say was that rims would start at 150 and go upto 300. Just dont be surprised if you find that the Fanatec "Formula Rim" is more than 150 guys.

Last edited:
Really want to know what the pricing stratergy is going to be... I reckon less than 400 i will buy on release.

The thought had crossed my mind that not all the buttons would be used on PS3. As for this being the same price as the Fanatec "Formula Rim" when did they say it was the same kind of price?"

What Thomas did say was that rims would start at 150 and go upto 300. Just dont be surprised if you find that the Fanatec "Formula Rim" is more than 150.

I thought I read here somewhere that the Fanatec would cost around 150 but even if it is more 50 or so IMO it is worth it for the build materials and the better IMO generic design... the quick release is also a big plus... dont get me wrong I thought the Thurstmaster was a better deal before I found out about the decorative buttons... also we are paying for the ferrari logo on it... something Im not too keen on.

F1 due next week, Forza 4 around 5 weeks.
Unless I've missed something both dedicated wheels won't be available on release of their respective games.

Bit of a shambles really.

I thought I read here somewhere that the Fanatec would cost around 150 but even if it is more 50 or so IMO it is worth it for the build materials and the better IMO generic design... the quick release is also a big plus... dont get me wrong I thought the Thurstmaster was a better deal before I found out about the decorative buttons... also we are paying for the ferrari logo on it... something Im not too keen on.

I think the "Formula Rim" is going to be quite a bit more expensive as it has lots of potential in its hardware/configuration and of course craftmanship.

F1 due next week, Forza 4 around 5 weeks.
Unless I've missed something both dedicated wheels won't be available on release of their respective games.

Bit of a shambles really.

Same with GT5.
Releasing a £400+ wheel for a console that at the time only 1 game supported and the wheel wasnt readily available in the UK at least til Feb. Err GT5 was released in November. So I doubt this situation will be as bad for Thrustmaster and well November - December for Fanatec gamers wanting some Elite action with FM4.

Back