New Thrustmaster F1 Wheel?

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 660 comments
Would also work well with another game i am playing atm. Similar looking/shaped wheel rims .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulB1MT062C8&feature=related

Yes it's GAME STOCK CAR.
There is also a PRESET for this game and "Ferrari F1 Wheel" available here [Game Stock Car - Ferrari F1 T500_01]:
http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=1&fid=2&pid=323&cid=12

Result is great with very immersive ForceFeedback & 29 programmable functions already programmed on the wheel.
In addition:
- You can manage all LCD settings directly with the 2 rotary encoders 👍
- KERS button on the wheel is used for PTP (Push-To-Pass) function 👍

gamestockcar.jpg

So perfect for all Formula Classic release this morning:
attachment.php

& for coming soon Formula Reiza 👍:
38713d1318891319-freiza.jpg.html

Edit: "Ferrari F1 Wheel" is now available on US
http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T500-Racing-Wheel-PC-6304300/dp/B005PPOBQE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319138188&sr=8-1

Last edited:
hampus_dh
Stop saying that, the diameter is more or less the same for the F1 wheel as the T500 rim.

Same engine that powers both wheels = same FFB.

You have more surface of your hand wrapping around the wheel. Thus having more grip resulting in feeling more feedback from the wheel, giving what he describes as more immersion.

WildRun
Result is great with very immersive ForceFeedback

hampus dh
Stop saying that, the diameter is more or less the same for the F1 wheel as the T500 rim.

Same engine that powers both wheels = same FFB.
_______

I think he is talking about the game itself , it has amazing force feedback .

Yes it's GAME STOCK CAR.
There is also a PRESET for this game and "Ferrari F1 Wheel" available here [Game Stock Car - Ferrari F1 T500_01]:
http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index...pid=323&cid=12

OK thanks for that 👍 And yes it is perfect timing.I just wish that if i ordered one here in the UK , That I would actually receive it , Unlike my shifter.

Not buying it sorry.

I keep my hands closed on the wheel and shifts on straights where FFB has little effect if any.

Then Game stock car may be a little hard for you.

Last edited:
I think he is talking about the game itself , it has amazing force feedback .

No he´s mentioned the "extra" or "stronger" FFB before.
I then asked about the dimensions but got no answer, i eventually got the answer from SRT that clearly showed it´s more or less the same diameter.

Not buying it sorry.

I keep my hands closed on the wheel and shifts on straights where FFB has little effect if any.

There is a difference in the depths of the grip though. Simply because the spokes of the GT5 rim have the width or thickness of the wheel rim itself, as both are 3.5 cm thick where your finger grab around it when in 3 to 9 position.
On the F1 rim however the wheel rim itself is 4 cm thick while the spokes are only 2 cm thick. Leaving more space for your fingers to firmly grab the wheel, having more grip on it and feeling more through it. It's just that simple.
If you don't want to buy it, that's your own decision. But the fact is that you have more surface that your own body's sensory organs in your have contact with. Thus you feel more.

No he´s mentioned the "extra" or "stronger" FFB before.
I then asked about the dimensions but got no answer, i eventually got the answer from SRT that clearly showed it´s more or less the same diameter.

So everyone knows...
Dimensions are as follows (measured by myself as I own both).

GT5 Rim:

Height: 30 cm
Width: 30 cm
Depth (with hub): 7 cm

Ferrari F1 Rim:

Height: 18.5 cm
Width: 28 cm
Depth (with hub): 9cm

Last edited:
LogiForce
So everyone knows...
Dimensions are as follows (measured by myself as I own both).

GT5 Rim:

Height: 30 cm
Width: 30 cm
Depth (with hub): 7 cm

Ferrari F1 Rim:

Height: 18.5 cm
Width: 28 cm
Depth (with hub): 9cm

So being a lil small it will indeed feel stronger and faster.

If you have access to a boat lift with a hand crank. Try cranking from outside wheel vs inside. Outside takes less effort. Basically dulling the energy being put in. The same thing happens here but energy is dulled to you on bigger diameter.

:) even my CNC lathe slows it's Spindle as you make cut towards the inside. For the surface speed is faster the smaller diameter being cut at the same RPM.

Even brakes on a car work the same. Bigger brakes. Easier to reduce energy. Smaller brakes work harder to reduce same energy as bigger brakes.

Hampus, be a lot more credible of you to test these items then call out others. Also some general mechanical knowledge wouldn't hurt either.

If you have access to a boat lift with a hand crank. Try cranking from outside wheel vs inside. Outside takes less effort. Basically dulling the energy being put in. The same thing happens here but energy is dulled to you on bigger diameter.

:) even my CNC lathe slows it's Spindle as you make cut towards the inside. For the surface speed is faster the smaller diameter being cut at the same RPM.

That is indeed also a point, just a couple of centimeters can make a lot of difference. I mean try picking up a wheelbarrow fully loaded at the edge of the handles or further up towards the axle. You'll notice a lot of difference with just a few centimeters.
Or another thing. When you burn a DVD with a burning program you'll always notice that the speed increases the further it progresses. This is cause of the same difference. (and a compact disc of any kind reads/writes from the inside towards the outside).

Also note the edit I made just now, about the grip surface being a bit bigger giving you more feedback from the wheel cause you have more of your skins sensory organs hugging it. All the small things add up into a noticeable difference. Plus it simply gives you more grip without needing to tighten your hand's muscles so much in my opinion.

LogiForce
That is indeed also a point, just a couple of centimeters can make a lot of difference. I mean try picking up a wheelbarrow fully loaded at the edge of the handles or further up towards the axle. You'll notice a lot of difference with just a few centimeters.
Or another thing. When you burn a DVD with a burning program you'll always notice that the speed increases the further it progresses. This is cause of the same difference. (and a compact disc of any kind reads/writes from the inside towards the outside).

You definitely get it. :)

Not buying it sorry.

again!! beginning to sound like a troll - why do you keek contradicting logiforce in every thread? personal grudge :rolleyes:

thx for info logiforce, i thought both wheels were same diameter. why do you have so many wheels? i am almost jealous, except that i don't like to drive open wheelers. eagerly awaiting the THR8 shifter though - and don't tell me you have one as well :P

again!! beginning to sound like a troll - why do you keek contradicting logiforce in every thread? personal grudge :rolleyes:

thx for info logiforce, i thought both wheels were same diameter. why do you have so many wheels? i am almost jealous, except that i don't like to drive open wheelers. eagerly awaiting the THR8 shifter though - and don't tell me you have one as well :P

The reason I have so many wheels is...
184451842.jpg

My first Dexxa non-force feedback wheel with sequential shifter attached broke down after 6 months of heavy racing with the in that period nice game Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed and Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2.
LOGITECH_FORMULA_FORCE_GP_RACING_WHEEL.jpg

After that I bought me the Logitech Formula Force GP, which was my first force feedback wheel. It's been in use from 2000-2001 up until 2009 (around the release of the G27 at least) or something along those lines. That's when I wanted to get me a nice shifter again, better force feedback and most of all... better pedals. Another reason was the wheel wasn't as well supported anymore by newer games. So I bought a new set.
ps3-stuur-g25-logitech.jpg

Yeah, that's right... this was a small step for most sim lovers who had a Momo wheel, but a big step for LogiForce kind... eh I mean for me.
The feel of the wheel, the strong force feedback... the shifter... I had a shifter again. The pedals actually didn't drop through the floor anymore. I was amazed at the quality of the product. Unfortunately over the years I got to notice the flaws in the wheel, shifter and pedals. The wheel rattled to much due to the deadzone and the use of normal cogs. The shifter was too loose and had no feedback, and putting your hand on it like in a normal car would result in putting it in reverse instead of the sixth gear. Also the peddles were just too squishy and soft.
So just about over a month ago I bought myself a copy of GT5 which is when I started to notice something I never had before. I played more arcade and semi-sim games before, cause now I saw one flow. That was the fact that it was impossible to nicely recover as spin because the wheel was turning slower then the actual wheels of the car in game. In other words, the G25 was a wheel with lag.
So I searched for something new again...
thrustmaster-t500-rs-racing-wheel-gt5-ps3.jpeg

The T500 RS was the one that caught my eye the most, I knew the CSW and CSR elite were coming but when...
So that was out of the question at that point in time, and I noticed that the T500 RS wheel was at first glance via videos on youtube a bit better then the GT2 from Fanatec. So I just went and got me a T500 RS, giving my old G25 to my dad with also a copy of GT5. And we've been racing each other every day since then. Actually today was the first day we haven't raced each other. In the mean time I learned of F1 2011 coming out and there being a new and seemingly very nice rim for the T500 RS, so I just went ahead and ordered it as soon as there was stock. Also I pre-ordered the TH8 RS shifter right away with it. Which I believe was the 23rd of September. I got the F1 rim within just a couple of days after that weekend, but having played so much GT5 with my dad I never had much time to use it yet in comparison to the GT5 rim.
In the last two weeks my dad started complaining about my G25, he said the wheel locked up when he exited a right hand corner. To him it felt like the teeth of the cogs were standing on top of each other, resulting in a lock. A small tug to the right and it popped back into place allowing him to drive on. Although that fixed it then, it started happening more often as these last weeks past and as loving as I am to my parents thought of sacrificing my new T500 RS to my dad. Which meant getting a new wheel for myself, so I set my eyes on the CSW which I'll get at some point. But I only will if I can do it financially with easy of course and/or when the G25 breaks down. In which case I might ask for an early Christmas and birthday present, dad putting some money down for my CSW so he can get my T500 RS.
Anyhow, seeing the fact that I'll also need a set of pedals with that beast, and the pedals now coming with the free tuning kit I went ahead and ordered the ClubSport Pedals which I got today and wrote the review about.

So that's how I got that many wheels and all still work with just the G25 acting a bit odd just now.

I don't have the TH8 RS yet, unfortunately!
Thrustmaster has delays are so they say. Here's some correspondence from their facebook page. ;)

ps. Sorry about this spammage of my lives history on wheels, but you asked for it. :P

Here's as to what they said:
Alex Chan ‎@Thrustmaster - what has happened to the TH8 RS list of compatible games that you claimed to have on your website since over 4 weeks ago?
Christiaan Van Beilen ‎@Thrustmaster: I wonder about what Alex Chan says as well? You promised it would be online last week! The TH8 RS release date was also the 15th! Now I still haven't received my shifter that I pre-ordered about a good month ago, nor has anyone I talked to in many big online sim communities, or reviewers for that matter. So it's not a matter of supply and demand issue or else at least one person would have put his thoughts about it online.

So could you be kind enough to elaborate on the hold-up of the TH8 RS shifter? And preferably a solid date on when we can expect them.

Thanks in advance
Thrustmaster T500 RS ‎@Alex and Christiaan: you are right there has been some delay and sorry for the inconvenience. We will provide you with positive updates in the very coming days.

There is a difference in the depths of the grip though. Simply because the spokes of the GT5 rim have the width or thickness of the wheel rim itself, as both are 3.5 cm thick where your finger grab around it when in 3 to 9 position.
On the F1 rim however the wheel rim itself is 4 cm thick while the spokes are only 2 cm thick. Leaving more space for your fingers to firmly grab the wheel, having more grip on it and feeling more through it. It's just that simple.
If you don't want to buy it, that's your own decision. But the fact is that you have more surface that your own body's sensory organs in your have contact with. Thus you feel more.

What? Why do you take stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with the product itself or the discussion itself and mix in with your argument?

He has claimed that FFB had gotten stronger among some other words and i don´t buy it really.
Placebo effect.

Even brakes on a car work the same. Bigger brakes. Easier to reduce energy. Smaller brakes work harder to reduce same energy as bigger brakes.

Hampus, be a lot more credible of you to test these items then call out others. Also some general mechanical knowledge wouldn't hurt either.

I see you aren´t familiar with the METRIC system.
We are talking about 1cm in each side. That´s nothing. I don´t need the physics lesson aswell but thanks.
Should also mention that i do own a T500 and DO plan on buying the F1 Wheel when the time is right.

Then you are that troll following me around? Because if you actually took the time and read the whole conversation you would realise that Logiforce joined in on a conversation ha wasn´t apart of at first.

So i´m the troll for people answering me? Great logics there mate!

P.S. I don´t contradict Logiforce in every thread, I give my OPINION on certain matters and whether that contradicts him or not i don´t really care about since it´s again, my opinion and not a deliberate act to contradict everything Logiforce is saying.

Logiforce, do you have the means to get weights of both rims? A lighter wheel will also give the effect of a stronger ffb without actually increasing it.
Although even though it is smaller, i would imagine the f1 wheel to be heavier with all the extras. I dont know though as I do not own or have experience with the t500

@hampus_dh: indeed your world of opinions is very different then mine. Even how nature works we can't agree on I reckon. So unless you really want an answer which mind end up in a huge heated discussion which nobody wants, let us just agree on the one thing we can both agree on, that is the simple fact that we probably will never totally agree with each other unless on a very rare occasion.

@Caz: sure I'll weigh them for you, but I'll do so after I've taken a nap as I'm off to bed now. I can already tell you that the difference is that the GT5 rims weight is in my opinion more evenly spread, while most of the weight of the F1 rim lies closer to the center. At least that's how they feel when I hold them in my hands. Then again that might just be imagining things from my side in this case.
Anyhow... Goodnight for now ;)

Classic lever effect - longer lever + same weight on the other part = less force needed to move it.
Switch the lever with a wheel rim, weight with T500RS's FFB motor and force with your hands and you'll get:
more diameter of the wheel rim + same FFB motor = less force needed to turn it than F1 wheel rim
less diameter of the wheel rim + same FFB motor = more force needed to turn it than GT wheel rim

It's not placebo. F1 rim has 28cm whereas GT rim has 30cm which translates into FFB beeing stronger with the F1 rim.

It might only be one centimetre on each side, but you are only talking about 30 centimetres to start with, it's all about the percentages.

Wheel diameter is a big contributor to feel and net force out. Next would be inertia. 'Feel' by added surface is inaccurate. True, more surface area of skin could be in contact and hence more nerve endings. But as the applied force per instance is constant, increased surface area actually has a decreased force per unit area. And lower force per nerve ending.

You shouldn't be driving with your fists anyway. Just finished teaching someone to lesson the kung-fu grip (that led to his on track spin). Sensitivity is in your finger tips. Only time I lock my hand to the wheel is when fingertip pressure can not take the load. If you're interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIhLvJCEjXM

Ultimately though effects and force feedback discussion would be best in it's own thread. Meanwhile I'll continue to wait for USPS to deliver my F1 add-on.

For anyone setting up a race car or even adjusting cockpits. This link here is nice.

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_steering

That is relative. To steering wheel. They have seating position as well. I used it to myself comfortable and practicing proper seating. Plan a track day in the Evo next summer. So taking the sim side a little more serious. As I hope muscle memory and such will help me be smooth on a track day. :)

Sorry kinda off topic. However a good link and relative to the discussion.

Caz
Logiforce, do you have the means to get weights of both rims? A lighter wheel will also give the effect of a stronger ffb without actually increasing it.
Although even though it is smaller, i would imagine the f1 wheel to be heavier with all the extras. I dont know though as I do not own or have experience with the t500

Here are the results of the wheel rim weight.

In the left corner we have the almighty GT5 rim with a staggering and surprising 1040 grams.
In the right corner we have the new comer, the already legendary Ferrari F1 add-on rim with a surprisingly light 950 grams.

So yeah, even with all the extra buttons the F1 rim is still the lighter one of the two.

For anyone setting up a race car or even adjusting cockpits. This link here is nice.

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_steering

That is relative. To steering wheel. They have seating position as well. I used it to myself comfortable and practicing proper seating. Plan a track day in the Evo next summer. So taking the sim side a little more serious. As I hope muscle memory and such will help me be smooth on a track day. :)

Sorry kinda off topic. However a good link and relative to the discussion.

This is great. Thank you!

amf7
Does it feel heavy in hand when its not attached to the base??

They feel just as heavy as a pack of sugar or flour of 1Kg. The GT5 rim feels more like it has the weight on the outside wheel, rather then the spokes and buttons in the center. The F1 rim is the opposite, where most of the weight is situated around the hub.

Latest Posts

Back