New update physics discussion

• Thread starter BLACK86
  • 224 comments
this thread is for physics discussion only please, if not appropriate then mods delete.

i think the physics have gone easier, as i said in the update thread i was driving the nsx around suzuka purposly going into corners with silly lines braking too late and extra speed, the results were very different from the previuos version of gt5p.

in short the cars are easier to handle, you can take them into bends with mistakes like braking too late/going in to fast and taking the wrong line and still recover.

and to the people saying its the old physics again, i really dont know how you have come to this conclusion. maybe im wrong

easier? more like back to square one in my opinion, i can now once again slide on s3 tire's in the zo6 like in the old physic's, not to mention in the ferarri event i found my self sliding around the course, but it was controlable with feathering the throttle, but if i did it to much i spun out, also with the corvette, just power slides and drift's along suzuka just like pre old update.

did you change the physics back to proffesional?

yes i put it back to professional, everything off. s2 tires nsx suzuka. hmm ive only tried nsx and citroen gt. let me quickly try the tvr speed six one moment

Just some quick first impressions:

1. Cars feel a bit more connected to the road. Even less of the driving on ice feeling now. Takes a bit more provoking to get it sideways, but once your there it feels like its for a reason.

2. No more creep across the pavement! Drive onto the banking at daytona and apply the brakes. The car plants itself......finally.

3. Could be my imagination, but it feels as though low speed physics have slightly improved.

4. Turn off abs. At daytona where you first come back onto the banking after the infield section apply heavy braking without locking up. The tires sound like they're skipping along the bumps in that section now. Never noticed that before.

Thats from about 30mins. driving.

Conclusion: Yes.....something is different:)

Last edited:
I noticed feathering the throttle in turn's seem's alot more controlled now, for instance, were the needle is pointed on the tachometer, it feel's like that the same exact ammount of grip is being aplyed to the wheel's spinning...in short, throttle control seem's alot more realistic.

ok just had a quick bash with the speed six tt mode, perfect description is alot less care is needed to drive the tvr now then before this update. i was just chucking it about and it never spun out. oh forgot to mention the brakes are better on both nsx and tvr, brakes seem to stop you quicker now.

So who is using a wheel and who is using a the wireless controller ?

PD
Controllability
- Improved controllability using the wireless controller.
- Added key assignments for Player 2 in "Device"

Is this the reasons some people feel its the same and some are feeling it has changed?

Is this the reasons some people feel its the same and some are feeling it has changed?
unfortunately my wheel is still not here yet, so im stuck on the controler for the time being..:grumpy:

At the moment I'm using sixaxis and indeed i can notice improved controllability.

However when I am provoking the cars into certain situations, they are surely acting differently. Those inputs could be from wheel or pad, but its the consequential car behavior i'm looking at.

I'm at work at the moment, but I'll give Prologue a drive tonight then update and try again, same car, same track (G25).

I think that's what's really needed for a definite conclusion, direct before / after comparisons.

Totally didn't thought about the wheel issue. So, would be good to note what are you driving with when comparing. I somehow assumed that all uses a wheel.. sorry..

Wheel / Pad ??

edit:

BLACK, what are you using?

First impressions (still emotional and based on a few laps) on the update(d physics), I like it very much, thanks Polyphony.

PP distribution has changed (for the car I tried) so it may not be 100 accurate.

It looks to me that the physics offers a yet deeper driving experience. The R tires didn’t provide the overly grippy sensation of a car being almost glued to the track. Driving the Corvette was more lively than ever. Driving mistakes or approximation will make you loose time and getting the very best of it still depends of driving ability, but the overall controllability of any issues has increased offering a wider experience.
Extended dynamics if this means something.:confused:

I like small touches like downloads info, updated icons. The audio balance sounds much better now in my opinion. I almost forget there are 3 new cars to purchase and give a try.

So many (incremental) improvements in this update! Thank you very much Polyphony.👍

Wheel user by the way.

G25

Mostly running Suzuka Ferrari 650PP about 2hrs

I agree that the cars are easier to handle. The input isn't as touchy or have as much feel and I think throttle can be applied earlier.

Breaking points have changed a lot IMHO, a lot more grip when braking.

Overall I would say we are somewhere between the original physics and most recent Spec II physics. But to be honest I would prefer more feedback/feel to easier handling cars.

Last edited:
Now I have been playing it some more I noticed the some of the lap times (if not all) have dropped even more, after taking the California on Suzuka I think overall it maybe easier than before, have to investigate further.

Totally didn't thought about the wheel issue. So, would be good to note what are you driving with when comparing. I somehow assumed that all uses a wheel.. sorry..

Wheel / Pad ??

edit:

BLACK, what are you using?

im using wheel dude, cant chat a bit busy at the mo

Sixaxis Controller here

- Improved controllability using the wireless controller.

Boy, do I hate steering now.
Was way more smoother before the update. I feel like I`m slamming from left to right and can`t push my tuned corvette slightly one side.
Even if I push the analog stick as soft as possible, the car reacts like I suffer from parkinson (no pun intended).

The other thing I noticed is more tire squeal in nearly every corner, but that could be of the changed sound settings too.

After so many hours driving 4WD`s and finally starting to love my tuned corvette, pushing my own times and getting a grip on RWD`s with the sixaxis (thanks to the tunes of "Dutch Customs" and specially "TLD") I`m feeling like a newbie.
Back to some hundreds of practice-laps at suzuka again ...

Last edited:
Sixaxis Controller here

Boy, do I hate steering now.
Was way more smoother before the update. I feel like I`m slamming from left to right and can`t push my tuned corvette slightly one side.
Even if I push the analog stick as soft as possible, the car reacts like I suffer from parkinson (no pun intended).

The other thing I noticed is more tire squeal in nearly every corner, but that could be of the changed sound settings too.

After so many hours driving 4WD`s and finally starting to love my tuned corvette, pushing my own times and getting a grip on RWD`s with the sixaxis (thanks to the tunes of "Dutch Customs" and specially "TLD") I`m feeling like a newbie.
Back to some hundreds of practice-laps at suzuka again ...

Haven't had the mispleasure of runing with a controller since the G25, but I have noticed that the new understeer model is more like how my real life car handles understeer. Front tires don't hitch a ride in Aladin's flying carpet to understeer land with a final stop at the wall. Now it seems more progressive, you go into a turn and as you keep pushing it then the car starts to go, and when the tires do let go for good you feel like "I fuded up"

i took the tuned vette round suzuka, and got within a second of my quickest time (pre update) in 4 laps. Cars in arcade feel easier to drive.
Only had a couple of online races, but it seems to me the cold tyre effect is more evident, with more and more grip coming in perhaps a more realistic way.
The first lap is treacherous for grip. Oh and i got the impression that RBE was eliminated, or greatly reduced. Caught a second place car steadily over 5 laps... and it just felt proper. i did good laps.. and caught up in a way i would have expected. Ferrari challenge looks like a good race.

oh, G25

I was driving a lot on 750pp suzuka free run just before the update so to have a good comparison this was the first thing I started on spec III.
I immediately felt that I can push the car quite a bit more and apply the throttle much sooner and harder.
On the other hand, when I started some TT on S2's I felt that there is not as much grip as before - but this I am not sure because it's been a while since I used S2's.

My bad, just realized I was using a pre-august update old tune for the testing, hence the difference in PP values. So some of my first impressions where partly biased by a more forgiven tune I guess. Using the very same setting as previously this week, I shaved a whole second a lap at Suzuka, thought. Will dig more before posting other curiosities... Sorry.:guilty:

For each update PD take away some feel from the car. dont like the direction this is heading! This is getting closer to GT4.. tried 512bb(S2) and had no oversteer if I not slamming it in the corner (used to be a beast!) I had hoped that PD whould take more of a SIM direction...:(

Using G25,

After the august update I could throw the vette into a corner mash the throttle while in the corner with TC off and still couldnt spin out. Now I can spin the car out. The weight of the car seems to be back (body roll).

I still would like to have the physics go back to the way they where after the spec II update but I dont think the game has gotten easier I think it took a good step back to what it used to be.

I sure hope they decide though how they want their cars to feel, You would think that they would have the physics sorted out even before they started on car models and tracks. I mean why would you change your physics based on user feedback? Make the cars handel as realistic as possible and then thats your physics. It kinda feels like the devs for this game are taking the same route that devs of shooters take, They change alot because of user feedback. How hard is it? Get the Ford GT get a race car driver have him go around the track collect the data pluge it into the game have him play the game and tell you if it is right or not.

This has to be the only car sim I have ever herd of that changes its physics due to user feedback, I mean sorry but if that is what they are doing this game and these devs are kind of a joke IMO. I hope they figure out what they are doing, And what direction they want to take this game.

Last edited:
tried 512bb(S2) and had no oversteer if I not slamming it in the corner (used to be a beast!)

lack of oversteer is really weird..but at least we have some noticeable understeer..after few laps I can say that it is much easier to drift and race in general,but I'm not sure if it is a good thing or not..time will tell..

I took it on Eiger and the 512BB oversteers easily on S2's.

Back