New update physics discussion

• Thread starter BLACK86
  • 224 comments
I usually do the Arcade TT using the PD's recommended tire guide. It also help that I have two versions of GT5P of which only one of them would I apply the latest update while keeping the other one with the previous update. With the Aug 1 update there was an obvious modifiction done to the car handling and specifically to the tires (improvement to the Sports tire but also the Normal tires which prior to the update was practically unuseable). Today's update the most obvious change (improvement or otherwise) is in the braking system and perhaps the ABS system. I find that I can modulate the brake better than I could before and because of this, I find it easier control skidding.

lack of oversteer is really weird..but at least we have some noticeable understeer..after few laps I can say that it is much easier to drift and race in general,but I'm not sure if it is a good thing or not..time will tell..

Too me thats not a good thing, I want to feel like I am driving, and it isnt easy to race at the limit if you are not sebastian loeb!

I took it on Eiger and the 512BB oversteers easily on S2's.

Maybe I used wrong word..I meant not complete lack of but that oversteer is REALLY toned down..just take NSX Type R for a ride around Suzuka and I'm sure you'll notice the difference in car handling since the update..

Now theyre heading towards what GT used to be for more than a decade, yet you guys still complaining ???
Go play SIMSBIM legends, etc. whatever those rubbish games are called and leave the real GT fans alone...

California drives SWEET with sixaxis !

ok, i've done about 2-3 laps in all three cars on HSR...to be honest none that have really wowed me. the physics are very different to say the least :lol: it's going to take a bit of time to feel as comfortable with this model as i did with the previous physics model.

the biggest changes are that the drifting is completely different, past a cetain points its unsaveable with the throttle fully down. trail braking is now PROPERLY here, too hard on the brakes entering a corner and you can really feel the back step out...although not enough yet to fully turn spin out like it would in real life in some cars, i've only tested about 4 cars with the new physics though so it could be here but i doubt it. i also noticed that the steering is much more quicker/direct at high speeds.

overall i think it's probably more realistic, i just need to learn how to control this drifting to pull out some fast times.

**goes to N1 tyres to fully understand the physics**

edit..you can now fully do 0mph burnouts in RWD now

edit2...you can fully spin out from trailbraking alone into a corner with some cars

Last edited:
Well I am by no means highly skilled but after a couple of hours racing the Ferrari California at Suzuka 650PP I like the new feel to the physics engine. There is no doubt it feels different to me. Easier to recover from a slide etc but you can certainly push the car too hard and lose it without too much effort. I tried S3 tyres at first but found them too slippery for my limited skills so I switched to R1s and found them quite different. More grip for accelerating out of corners and particularly for stopping. The 650PP event is real fun BTW.
I am using a DF GT wheel.

Now theyre heading towards what GT used to be for more than a decade, yet you guys still complaining ???
Go play SIMSBIM legends, etc. whatever those rubbish games are called and leave the real GT fans alone...

I think I can call myself true Gran Turismo fan. I've completed almost every Gran Turismo game 100% (minus GT2 which I had a broken copy -> 99.82% completion rate). I don't play on my PC because I don't like to play on PC's so I don't care about any SIM games for PC, but I do care for Gran Turismo.
The big difference between GT5p and the rest of the series is the fact that you can choose to race in PRO or STANDARD mode. Standard mode is (and should be) similar to driving experience in past GT games, but PRO mode was introduced to those of us who want to have as realistic driving experience as it is possible..PD ,by the fact that they toned down oversteer, made the racing in some cars significantly easier..Some of us like it,some do not..that is why I wrote that we need time to judge all the changes that were made.. At the moment I'm just not completely sold on the "oversteer issue" although I like new "feel" of understeering..

Ditto. Whole oversteering feels too 'twitchy' on a Six Axis. I certainly dont mind the more simulation aspect of the update but I doubt its easy to find anyone going really quick with an FR car(maybe doesnt apply to every FR car) on the TTs with a Six Axis. Maybe it feels great on a wheel, but I cant seem to go as fast as I would like to with a controller post update. Maybe its just me; or maybe its time to get a wheel.

A racing game has to move forward! and as geez said, we have two racing physics so they should not comprimise pro physics..this is GT not grid,..And I am a GT fan!

btw, anyone having frame rate problems..? only in online free run, online race and replay.. quite frustrating

Last edited:
and to the people saying its the old physics again, i really dont know how you have come to this conclusion. maybe im wrong

No, I think you are correct. I read in another thread that the physics had "gone back" to pre-august update specs, but that just isn't the case. My first impression was that the physics hadn't changed much, if at all, this time around. Then I played around some more and if anything I agree that things may have gotten even easier and less realistic once again. EDIT: After driving it even more extensively I no longer feel this way. I think they have made it slightly more realistic again. We aren't back to Spec I, but I am definitely seeing more dynamic behavior in the cars. It doesn't seem to be a massive change like August was. The only solid thing I came away with was an impression that understeer characteristics have changed across the several car models I tried (Ford GT 06, Ford GT LM, Lotus Elise IIIr, etc.)

I notice that many people are saying the physics have changed dramatically this time around. Are you all sixaxis users? I ask because they did say they changed how the sixaxis behaved.

I use the G25 wheel, and IMHO the changes this time around seem minimal. I bet we're seeing another issue where sixaxis users and wheel users come away with very different impressions of the changes.

Regardless, having two physics models should be the way to solve this dilemma, unfortunately those two physics models appear to remain "super-mega-unbelievably easy" and "unbelievably easy," instead of "moderately challenging" and "extremely challenging".

Last edited:
Alright, so we kind of agree on the PC thing it seems.

The thing with PRO mode is not entirely right though, GT 3(?) and 4 had tires called SIMULATION which provided very similar feel to GT5P PRO mode.
Imo Spec II was a big step into the right direction and III another one.
It is near to perfection now. what I don't get is why so many people bitching around and refuse to see the big improvements that where made. Hence I say go play PC SIMSBIMS 🤬 if you dislike what GT is, has been, alway will be 👍 Hush, hush ;)

Last edited:
A racing game has to move forward! and as geez said, we have two racing physics so they should not comprimise pro physics....And I am a GT fan!

btw, anyone having frame rate problems..? only in online free run, online race and replay.. quite frustrating
We are all GT fans here just it seems we where split somehow between wheels vs controller, racing vs driving << which is the same imo and PRO and standard MODES ...
Its moving forward 👍
Standart physics is a big joke imo :yuck:
Simulation tyres? was even more challenging, yet we're pretty much there with this update :)

I have framerate issues only in freerun ... they'll sort it out soon for sure.
Online is smooth as hell though 👍

edit:sorry dp

Last edited:
Alright, so we kind of agree on the PC thing it seems.
The thing with PRO mode is not entirely right though, GT 3(?) and 4 had tires called SIMULATION which provided very similar feel to GT5P PRO mode.
Imo Spec II was a step into the right direction and III another one.
It is near to perfection now. what I don't get is why so many people bitching around and refuse to see the big improvements that where made. Hence I say go play PC SIMSBIMS 🤬 if you dislike what GT is, has been, alway will be 👍 Hush, hush ;)

The simulation tyres from gt4 was nothing like gt5, it was just a slippery tire.. still the same physics.. and do you hope fore a arcadey GT5??

I think the problem here is one of a fundamental difference in viewpoint.

1) On one side you have the people who want two different physics modes TO KEEP US ALL HAPPY. There can be a "game" mode and a "sim" mode - called "standard" and "pro". Then everyone can drive the mode they are happy with. Fine. (I'm on this side of the argument obviously.)

2) On the other side we have people who think that everyone should be happy with two modes which are both "game-like," something which makes those of us who want a true sim quite unhappy.

To me it is obvious that one of these two solutions is superior to the other...

Last edited:
So who is using a wheel and who is using a the wireless controller ?
Is this the reasons some people feel its the same and some are feeling it has changed?

This was an important point to bring up, however I can't help but feel that the opinion has been (automatically) adopted that using a pad prevents one from feeling any changes to driving physics.

I don't think thats the case as many of the things I felt with the sixaxis are consistent when using a dfp. Believe it or not many drivers of the sim lfs use controllers or even a mouse! This is simply a change in the driving input, which in turn manipulates a car within the physics parameters created. Your not changing anything.

Of course using a proper wheel is the best way to explore the physics,FF, and overall "feel" , but pad users shouldn't be discredited either.

I only have problems with frame rate in Arcade Time Trial with Lotus Evora at Suzuka in the chicane and on the main straight..
online (race & free run) is very smooth,didn't notice any lag so far and I think cars became more "punter-proof" after the update..

EDIT: +1 Volcano about simulation tyres from GT4, there were only tyres after all and not different physics..

Last edited:
For me at the moment, I cant even keep the car on a track, post update I could be aggressive going into corners, today going round a corner and spinning off. :indiff:

The simulation tyres from gt4 was nothing like gt5, it was just a slippery tire.. still the same physics.. and do you hope for a arcadey GT5??
You know what, thats the problem. The physics didn't change, only the grip levels did. Same goes for Spec I,II, III... PD said it and I and others do, so that is where you're wrong i guess 👍
I think the problem here is one of a fundamental difference in viewpoint.

1) (I'm on this side of the argument obviously.)
2) ( EDIT: Sorry for cutting out, i'm running out of space...)
Same as above.^^ You can put as many different physic modes as you want in one game... it just won't work!

PS: How about 3) only one mode for all. lower PP levels recommended for beginners and higher PP for the 'PROS' ???

💡

Last edited:
OK, did a brief test...

...as I just finished the update and drove f430 just before updating and immediately after the update (S2's only). And I think that the car is now more logical, resposive to drive. It feels more real to me now.. yes, there is maybe more understeer, but it feels right and if you want, it's easy to make the car (f430) oversteery. It feels more like I would imagine it to be IRL. Before this update there was some strange 'thing' that made driving feel less real for me. I really don't know how to describe it, but now it feels more right. Good work PD!! 👍

The thing that I try to describe here is that I've been away for a while now from gt5p and lost a bit of the 'feel' for it. So I was really struggling with the f430 and wondered how the hell did I do that time for the qualifier. I managed after a few laps 2'12.6xx.. lol.. :) and it was really hard and inconsistent. It just felt wrong.. like my brains didn't understand the way I should have driven the car. I really would have needed quite many laps to get even near to my qualy time.

Then after the update. Magic happened.. :) ..I was laughing from the first turn of the wheel. I LOVE IT! It's not the point, but I was immediately a sec faster.. and it's due to the logical way the car handles now. It just feels better.. LOVE the responsiveness on the steering.. my brains know now what to do.. lol.. I know this sounds very funny but for me the fun factor is back again. (it could also be that they've changed some parameter in f430, who knows)

Now the physics feel like the first edition, but without the driving on ice feeling. It has been cured but using a better method than on the Aug1st update.

Thanks PD again.. I'm liking this! Now just give us the Suzy600pp - S2's / S1's back!! ;)

Last edited:
Hybrid. Hope you did not say that the physics did not change from gt4 to 5??
Physics, tire physics whatever.. Tings is getting easyer every update. all im asking is that PD dont dumb things down. But hey dont blame them, they want to make money from casual gamers .

OK, did a brief test...

...as I just finished the update and drove f430 just before updating and immediately after the update (S2's only). And I think that the car is now more logical, resposive to drive. It feels more real to me now.. yes, there is maybe more understeer, but it feels right and if you want, it's easy to make the car (f430) oversteery. It feels more like I would imagine it to be IRL. Before this update there was some strange 'thing' that made driving feel less real for me. I really don't know how to describe it, but now it feels more right. Good work PD!! 👍

The thing that I try to describe here is that I've been away for a while now from gt5p and lost a bit of the 'feel' for it. So I was really struggling with the f430 and wondered how the hell did I do that time for the qualifier. I managed after a few laps 2'12.6xx.. lol.. :) and it was really hard and inconsistent. It just felt wrong.. like my brains didn't understand the way I should have driven the car. I really would have needed quite many laps to get even near to my qualy time.

Then after the update. Magic happened.. :) ..I was laughing from the first turn of the wheel. I LOVE IT! It's not the point, but I was immediately a sec faster.. and it's due to the logical way the car handles now. It just feels better.. LOVE the responsiveness on the steering.. my brains know now what to do.. lol.. I know this sounds very funny but for me the fun factor is back again. (it could also be that they've changed some parameter in f430, who knows)

Now the physics feel like the first edition, but without the driving on ice feeling. It has been cured but using a better method than on the Aug1st update.

Thanks PD again.. I'm liking this! Now just give us the Suzy600pp - S2's / S1's back!! ;)

I am feeling the same way, the cars just feel good to drive, the times in my testing is much faster than they were pre august 1 but the cars feel good again.

I am feeling the same way, the cars just feel good to drive, the times in my testing is much faster than they were pre august 1 but the cars feel good again.

Agreed,instantly the steering had less force feedback feel allowing me to "feel" the road more positively. Yes good work P.D.Thanks !!!!

I feel that the sixaxis now has a bigger 'deadzone' and less sensitivity,
making it feel more like the ps2 controller. Over steer seems slightly
less 'arcade' and under steer is more manageable. Haven't tried
my wheel yet but the update does seem to lean towards pad users.

Having only tried sixaxis so far, i'm gonna say that it does feel more
like gran turismo now. +1 for a third (SIM/WHEEL) physics option.

I agree with Timppaq.

In my opinion game is not getting easier, it's getting more consistent and lifelike.
I bet I can feel the car better now.
To prove that to myself I made a short run with Subaru STI 07 at Suzuka TT. I finished that trial only a week ago (managed to get 10th) and I remember the every aspect of its handling at Suzuka.
I easily got better time in a few laps. But I'm sure that's not the more grippy tyres, I would say it's better braking physics, throttle and steering control.
Maybe the tyres physics been changed, but in my opinion overall grip level is the same. What I like more is the amazing sound of the tyre loosing traction - and it's progressive! So is behaviour of the tyre - it is not loosing traction at once - it's a slight decrease and you always know where the limit is.

Now I have more feeling, more response from the car... and know what, that has nothing to do with Arcade game, otherwise it's one step closer to the SIM.

EDIT. G25

I'm still downloading the update , but are people thinking that physics got easier because they can apply throttle earlier and brake later and get better laptimes? maybe that its closer to real life . Why do people want it to be challanging ...ect ? does more challenge= real life ? I don't think so , some car are a breez to drive fast and some car are just a struggle, Challenging and difficult to drive doesn't always equal real life sim.

edit..you can now fully do 0mph burnouts in RWD now

This comment made me happy , because it means they have fixed low speed physics , which might mean that physics are more realistic wither they are eaiser or not.

You could do 0mph burnouts before too, if you rolled back first and dumped the clutch and hit the brake it would standstill. Sometimes if you were quick enough with the clutch and brake you didn't need to roll back.

6-axis pad user.

I would say the physics have improved for the better overall. I was actually quite suprised by how much they improved it to be honest. It seems like the tires provide more feel and have a much more smooth, realistic, and predictable break away than before. At least from my short experience so far re-tuning my Viper for 750 racing on R3's. Also, the handling at lower speeds seems much improved and more realistic. Before the cars just didn't feel right at lower speeds. The level of tire grip, weight, and weight transfer at lower speeds were way off before...pretty good now. I still don't get why the more racy cars can't do donuts. It's as if the cars have an open diffs and no LSD/posi. Wake up PD! :crazy:. I'm using the 6-axis joystick and noticed the steering sensitivity is up a bunch. The slightest touch of the joystick makes the car respond instantly and more in line with what input you are actually giving the joystick. I think PD took out some of the aids that would help smoothen out the 6-axis users. Not really diggin it, but I'm sure I'll get used to it with time. This will definately not make things any easier when online racing trying to go two-wide or when trying to make a pass which requires precise steering inputs. :yuck: The brakes also seems to have more modulation when using the pad buttons as well which helps with trail braking and getting the car turned in at the right time. It also seems that colded tires have more of an affect than they did before. The car feels a bit greasy on the first lap and then picks up grip. Overall I'm pretty happy...great job PD. I'm sure I'll be 10x happier once my wheel shows up. 👍

Last edited:
In my opinion...

The tires slide easier now, but it's easier to control the slide. As Timppaq stated, it "feels" more real now. It feels like when I get my S2000 sideways and just slide it around a corner with wheel and throttle. Granted I don't drive my S as fast in real life as we do in the game/simulator.

I would like to note that both S7 and S10 are easier to beat now. PD says they're harder but that's not the case. I took a Clio T, which maxxes out to 720PP and beat both 750PP races with fast cars starting in front. Took the lead on S7 on lap 3 and S10 on lap 4 very consistently. Also did it with the GT LM with the same results.

Oh, and these two races now pay 50k.

I look forward to some online driving.

Back