New Year Holiday Challenge: Nürburgring GP/F 10 Lap Survival Race

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 310 comments
That was hard. Took me several tries, but eventually I managed to win over Motoyama with a 7 seconds gap after a lap 5 spinout at the Valvoline. Started on IM and pitted at the end of lap 5 from second position (but I could've been first if I didn't spin out) for another set of IMs and a splash of fuel.

Managed to catch Motoyama after he hit the dirt coming out of the Schumacher. Had to drive defensively for a couple of laps as he was following closely, trying to pass me at every corner and almost succeeding on the Warsteiner on lap 9 (giving further proof that GT's AI is not bad, it's just comatose 99% of the time). Then, as we entered the last lap and I was starting to worry about my tires... He slowed down considerably. I guess he pushed on the tires harder than I did, ha. By the time we entered the last sector I had over 5 seconds on him and there were backmarkers on the way, and I was running on fumes and the front left tire had deteriorated badly, so I coasted it to the finish line.

Used Praiano's old Suzuka tune for this one - I didn't go much faster than with the stock tune on the dry, but it allowed me to drive on higher gears (4th through the Schumacher, and 3rd through most corners), which eventually helped me burn the AI's gap on the wet (despite the spin-out) and to preserve the tires through the last laps.

A shame SRF is forced on. It never made things easier for me, and probably never will - I prefer my car to progressively lose grip and spin out rather than do a sudden 180° or plow straight into a wall because "hey, at least we didn't make you spin".

That was hard. Took me several tries, but eventually I managed to win over Motoyama with a 7 seconds gap after a lap 5 spinout at the Valvoline. Started on IM and pitted at the end of lap 5 from second position (but I could've been first if I didn't spin out) for another set of IMs and a splash of fuel.

Managed to catch Motoyama after he hit the dirt coming out of the Schumacher. Had to drive defensively for a couple of laps as he was following closely, trying to pass me at every corner and almost succeeding on the Warsteiner on lap 9 (giving further proof that GT's AI is not bad, it's just comatose 99% of the time). Then, as we entered the last lap and I was starting to worry about my tires... He slowed down considerably. I guess he pushed on the tires harder than I did, ha. By the time we entered the last sector I had over 5 seconds on him and there were backmarkers on the way, and I was running on fumes and the front left tire had deteriorated badly, so I coasted it to the finish line.

Used Praiano's old Suzuka tune for this one - I didn't go much faster than with the stock tune on the dry, but it allowed me to drive on higher gears (4th through the Schumacher, and 3rd through most corners), which eventually helped me burn the AI's gap on the wet (despite the spin-out) and to preserve the tires through the last laps.

A shame SRF is forced on. It never made things easier for me, and probably never will - I prefer my car to progressively lose grip and spin out rather than do a sudden 180° or plow straight into a wall because "hey, at least we didn't make you spin".
I also like my race car to progressively lose grip and just another reason why SRF should always be optional and not mandatory!

Bought the Mazda LM55 Vision Gran Turismo after reading this forum, how you manage to detune it to enter a 600pp event? Mine will only detune to 616pp.

I've tried about 10 different cars, followed loads of different strategies and still can't get higher than 14th.

I'm heavy handed so can chase the pack down but ruin the tyres or save the tyres and end up pitting twice....

As any one managed this race using the AUDI pike peak?

Bought the Mazda LM55 Vision Gran Turismo after reading this forum, how you manage to detune it to enter a 600pp event? Mine will only detune to 616pp.

I've tried about 10 different cars, followed loads of different strategies and still can't get higher than 14th.

I'm heavy handed so can chase the pack down but ruin the tyres or save the tyres and end up pitting twice....

Add ballast...

Don't double post - use the Edit button or queue replies with the Reply or +Quote buttons
No Penalties. Tune By Me. Audi R18 TDI. Started On Intermediate Tires. Pass For The Lead On Lap 5. I Went Into The Pits On Lap 8 Took 21 Liters Of Gas And Racing Soft Tires. Went Back Out In The Lead On Lap 9. Fast Lap 1:56. Won By 1:38.287.

Truth!!

Agree!!

Good run.

But if I change to Racing Softs like you did on Lap 8 I have zero grip coming out of the pits.

I think this seasonal varies for a lot of players.

Also it is almost impossible for me to do a one stopper and use two sets of IM tires. They will be at zero towards the end. I was successful doing it once witht he Sauber Mercedes, but Philippe was right on my tail and should have past me in the last corner.

To be honest the easiest way to win is with a HSV. It is the fastest car at 600pp that I've found. I use a set of softs for the first two laps, then use Intermediates, and then switch back on to soft for the last lap. I've found this is a very quick strategy.

If you use the HSV, make no mistakes throughout the race, you will win with some margin. But it is hard not to make any mistakes as the AI and the wet track are working against you.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest the easiest way to win is with a HSV. It is the fastest car at 600pp that I've found. I use a set of softs for the first two laps, then use Intermediates, and then switch back on to soft for the last lap. I've found this is a very quick strategy.

If you use the HSV, make no mistakes throughout the race, you will win with some margin. But it is hard not to make any mistakes as the AI and the wet track are working against you.

No, the easiest way to win this is to use the Mazda Furai. Start on Intermediates and you should have no problem winning this race with no pitstops and still have plenty of fuel and tires left. Same advice goes for the Suzuka Challenge. I have no problem winning these races using this strategy and I am nowhere near an alien driver. Short shift for optimal traction at around 30%, or more, dampness.

The Mazda LM55 is an easy win without pitting on IM tyres. The TS030 is an easy win with 1 pitstop (IM for IM). I`ve found wining in a stock power HSV(573pp) to be the most fun/challenging though. I can`t win it every time, but if I can hold it together for 10 laps at a decent pace its very satisfying!

To all at GT Planet remember that when you come out of the pit on new racing tires you need to give the tires some time to come up to temperature and you will solve the no grip problem coming out of the pits. This is true for all racing where you have to go in for fresh tires and come out of the pits give them a few turns to get some heat in the tires and you will be good to go.

The Mazda LM55 is an easy win without pitting on IM tyres. The TS030 is an easy win with 1 pitstop (IM for IM). I`ve found wining in a stock power HSV(573pp) to be the most fun/challenging though. I can`t win it every time, but if I can hold it together for 10 laps at a decent pace its very satisfying!

After over 30 attempts with various cars and setups, I have finally won using the Mazda LM55 on the first attempt. Had to pit for fuel though as I drive very heavy handed........ phew!

After over 30 attempts with various cars and setups, I have finally won using the Mazda LM55 on the first attempt. Had to pit for fuel though as I drive very heavy handed........ phew!
Well done mate! 👍 If you keep repeating the event you can refine your technique until you can win without pitting. :cheers:

Just did it with Nowcontrols tune for the Mazda Furai and no pits. :bowdown: Thank You 👍 :cheers: Awesome Tune ;) Happy New Year :cheers: To everybody at :gtpflag: :)

Wife's had enough.........lol
Just started Suzuka Circuit 2014 10 Lap Survival Race, 2nd so far in the LM 55, I drive like a lunatic...
:lol: I love some lunatic sideways action myself!

Here`s a simple tune for the LM55 for anyone whos interested or struggling with how to make it 600pp.

15.75 16.25 brakes 5/5
3 3
3 3
3 3
0.0 0.0
0.00 0.00

Transmission as default

LSD F 5/15/5
R 5/25/5

Power Limiter at 50%

Max Downforce

57kg Ballast at -6 to give 50/50 weight distribution

Happy New Year Everyone! :cheers:

At last can make it to win with all intermediate tires, one pit stop strategy with this tires hungry V8 Woodone Tom's Supra '03. First lap 1:54.0xx with the intermediate tires
20141231_185949.jpg
but at the last lap got to be slow like a nanny cos of the tires wear.

Finally succeeded at the 4th attempt in the Ferrari 330 P4 '67 - had a really wet couple of races (75%+) & struggled for grip starting on IM's with 1 pitstop, so changed tactic & pitted twice (RS - IM - RS) starting the last lap in 5th 10.52 seconds behind to get 1st just before the final chicane. Phew can celebrate New Year with the family now!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
So I tried this with the Ferrari 330 P4 '67 also, and had a similar experience as @cmt. Saturation got up to around 80% in lap 5 or 6. I had a slightly different pit strategy. I started with RS for the first 2 laps as others have done, then switched to IMs, but I never switched back. The road was so slick during the middle laps that the IM's never really wore down and at the end of lap 7 were still at 9 or 10. So I just stayed with them for the remainder of the race rather than losing all that time in the pits (diminishing returns), and won by 20+ seconds.

I have not seen this mentioned anywhere, but to improve tire wear you may want to lower the downforce levels on the car. If you are running maximum downforce, you will be faster, but you will ruin the tires more. Running medium downforce levels allow me to manage tire life much easier. Ok thanks bye.

After a few attempts trying to get the tire strategy figured out with a NASCAR I ran a near perfect race until the last chicane and almost gave it away. Got greedy and cut inside and had a ramming penalty, luckily just enough time to get back around them.

Also used the 69' Camaro race car, it is a really fun car, I used the same three stops strategy as the #83, RS/IM/RS.

I used the 2J for both survivor races. As for tires, I'd suggest using intermediate for all of the Burg, and for Suzuka, RS for first 2 laps the intermediate for the rest. If you use Praiano's tune for the 2J you'll win easily. I. Won both by roughly 60 secoonds and I'm an average racer at best.

Fun races though. Enjoy!

Happy New Year everyone:-)

Finally, able to win with a non pit - stop strategy under 21 minutes and 1: 14.×× lead on the finish line. Just using a Ds3, steering must be more faster. Tips : Do not high reving.

20150101_224110.jpg

Last edited:
Ferrari P330 P4 ’67. Cockpit race. No penalties. No tune except for transmission settings. Started the race on racing intermediate tires. I took the lead on lap 6 at the start-finish line to P1 by passing the Xanavi Nismo. I went into the pits on lap 7 in P1 and took racing soft tires for the last stint. I came out of the pits in P3. I passed the Lexus Denso on lap 8 just after the Michael-Schumacher-S to take over P2. On lap 10 passed the Xanavi Nismo just after the Ford-Kurbe for P1. Fast lap 1:57. Winning margin over the Calsonic by 19.12. seconds.

Last edited:
Finally won this. Used the HSV Base Model with the Stage 3 engine upgrade.

Ran the entire thing in cockpit view on one set of IM's. The trick was decreasing the downforce to allow the tires to last.

This Nurb layout isn't one of my best, but I finally managed the win after a couple 2nd place finishes and many 14-16th place drubbings. Not much else in between.

I really enjoyed these special Seasonals and wish PD would give us more weather and time variable events in the future.

:lol: I love some lunatic sideways action myself!

Here`s a simple tune for the LM55 for anyone whos interested or struggling with how to make it 600pp.

15.75 16.25 brakes 5/5
3 3
3 3
3 3
0.0 0.0
0.00 0.00

Transmission as default

LSD F 5/15/5
R 5/25/5

Power Limiter at 50%

Max Downforce

57kg Ballast at -6 to give 50/50 weight distribution

Happy New Year Everyone! :cheers:

Dang that really works, won Suzuka by almost a minute, a very easy drive.

No, the easiest way to win this is to use the Mazda Furai. Start on Intermediates and you should have no problem winning this race with no pitstops and still have plenty of fuel and tires left. Same advice goes for the Suzuka Challenge. I have no problem winning these races using this strategy and I am nowhere near an alien driver. Short shift for optimal traction at around 30%, or more, dampness.

Thanks for this tip, finally made it! No tune, just Limiter! No pit stop needed, just drive gentle, it's a tail happy car in the rain. Watch out in the slow corners, add a touch of throttle when braking, it spins easily.

Share for you guys using Mazda LM55, 100% total time to complete this race under 21 minutes and lead over 1 minute. Use intermediate tires until lap 8/9 (pitstop) , then change to Racing Medium or soft.

20150105_154503.jpg

I guess switching my message privacy settings to public was a bad idea, lol.

View attachment 285487

WFT?

What is up with people? Are some males so insecure they send you stuff like that?

I'd bait them to hell if I were you... you could probably make their heads explode, or cause them have a mental breakdown if you played it right :lol:

I guess switching my message privacy settings to public was a bad idea, lol.

I'd bait them to hell if I were you... you could probably make their heads explode, or cause them have a mental breakdown if you played it right :lol:

I think those heads exploded already before they posted this nonsense...

Great lap @WhoosierGirl, makes me want to try in the 330 P4 again, even if i will nowhere get near that time :bowdown:

Back