New Year Holiday Challenge: Nürburgring GP/F 10 Lap Survival Race

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 310 comments
There's a few cars you really don't have to pit with at all. The TS030 can do it if you're driving easy through the whole thing and so can the 2J, though no headlights really sucks. Just start with inters and get to pass everyone as they pit. It's not that bad really. You just have to not go nuts on the tires and ease up when they start squealing.

I've also won this with the Mazda Furia... Praiano's tuning but detuned to 600pp and final drive adjusted, without pitting. Used one set of Intermediate tires, gas was very close to empty at the end but made it.

Guess the Furai is always in the line-up for events like this. It would be a good choice - even a grinder in fast hands.

Last night I read up all the great posts in here - super job guys, trading tips and info, all opinions respectfully observed - made me want to try the event for the first time today.

Took a brand new 2D out and got thrashed by the rabbits. 3 times.

Not happy.

@GTsail290

After a disappointing try with the old xj13 I never thought of the Chaparral 2D. But it's a great car for this event. Thanks for the tip!

10 rounds in 22:16, 22:03 and 21:58 all gold with a pit stop at the end of round 5.

Used the newly added Mazda LM 55 with IM tire all the way through, easy win with 20+ seconds ahead of the Calsonic IMPUL GT-R '08. Only pitted on lap 10 for a little gas.

Used the newly added Mazda LM 55 with IM tire all the way through, easy win with 20+ seconds ahead of the Calsonic IMPUL GT-R '08. Only pitted on lap 10 for a little gas.

LM 55 also wins with 2 laps RS, 5 laps IM, 3 laps RS. Even if the AI tries to push you around a bit.....

Used Toyota Castrol TOM'S SUPRA '97. 587PP (if I remember well, lower than 600 for sure) with some wings adjustments.
2 pit stops strategy:
- Lap 1 to 3 with Soft;
- Lap 4 to 7 with Intermediate;
- Lap 8 to 10 again Soft.
It felt quite bugged anyway, the second time I put on the Soft the car handled like if there was water on the track, even if the HUD said 0%. Lost a couple of races because of that. Last one did that only in first half of the 8th lap, so I got the victory.

Thought to share some thoughts on this event, having won with the Chapparal 2J, the Toyota TS030 and the Nissan GT-R GT500 Stealth:

- noticed that trustjab used some ballast in his tune for the Toyota TS030 and thought to expand on that theory by adding 120kg of ballast to the Toyota TS030 (so the car would stay planted during turns in the wet asphalt). Seemed to do the trick, as the car was notably more stable and didn't react uncontrollably when exiting turns in the wet weather.
- trying to pass the #15 car (the Honda Epson NSX), was quite challenging, as he would consistently try and run you off-road. Once passed him, you must increase the pace so he can't catch up and run/ram you off-road.
- as others have mentioned, running intermediate tyres is key to winning. I find that pitting in at end of lap 6 for fresh intermediate tyres and recommended fuel top-up puts me firmly in the winners circle (barring any screw-ups).
- having some good lap times in the range of 2:00.XXX - 2:02.XXX on dry/barely wet (up to 25% wet), puts you in serious contention for victory
- pit stop times use about 25 - 30 seconds (for fuel and tyres). Will confirm in a little while...
Edit: confirmed fuel and tyre pit stop uses 33 - 35 seconds
- light taps on the rear bumper of the AI-driven cars will not incur a penalty

Last edited:
This is the hardest event ever. I have been trying to beat it with the HSV or the mclaren GTR race car to no avail. The problem I run into is if I run a one stop strategy and use two sets of Inters, on that last lap the inters have zero grip and Philippe in the AI car passes me easily.
The other options I have been running is do a two stop strategy, saving a fresh set of softs for the last lap. But when I do that the AI car is too far away to catch up and pass. Using a set of soft for the last two laps is useless as the car has no grip when I come out of the pits and I have to drive so slow in the beginning that it ruins the outlap.
I am at a loss. I have tried this event about 20 times and I only won once. It is so frustrating.

This is the hardest event ever. I have been trying to beat it with the HSV or the mclaren GTR race car to no avail. The problem I run into is if I run a one stop strategy and use two sets of Inters, on that last lap the inters have zero grip and Philippe in the AI car passes me easily.
The other options I have been running is do a two stop strategy, saving a fresh set of softs for the last lap. But when I do that the AI car is too far away to catch up and pass. Using a set of soft for the last two laps is useless as the car has no grip when I come out of the pits and I have to drive so slow in the beginning that it ruins the outlap.
I am at a loss. I have tried this event about 20 times and I only won once. It is so frustrating.

What laptimes are you running?

Peugeot 905 with 512HP and 182KG of ballast will win it really easily with a two stop strategy, can do 1:48's or lower in the dry without much of an issue.

Yesterday had my easiest victory with the Calsonic Impul GTR '08. Won by like 20 seconds. :) Two stop strategy, lap 3 and lap 8 (RS-IM-RS). After that, I had a blast with my Takata Dome NSX '03. That car is really good and quick, easy victory too. Also a 2-stop strategy, caught the leading Yellowhat GTR at the final chicane. :)

What laptimes are you running?

Peugeot 905 with 512HP and 182KG of ballast will win it really easily with a two stop strategy, can do 1:48's or lower in the dry without much of an issue.

I try to win it with a car that is a challenge.

The HSV can do 1:56s on racing softs in the first two laps assuming there is no traffic or stupid AI encounters.
On intermediates it does 1:58s...
The Mclaren is slightly slower, but should be able to do that job. I just can't get the tires to last. Maybe it's my driving style that is making this so difficult.

Drive it without hard braking, smooth throttle on corners and avoid driving totally on top of those kerbs as much as possible, then the tires can be lasting longer. Got to try it with some older JGTC ; Tom 's Woodone Supra. (The only Japanese V8 engine GT500 cars) :gtpflag:

Last edited:
I try to win it with a car that is a challenge.

The HSV can do 1:56s on racing softs in the first two laps assuming there is no traffic or stupid AI encounters.
On intermediates it does 1:58s...
The Mclaren is slightly slower, but should be able to do that job. I just can't get the tires to last. Maybe it's my driving style that is making this so difficult.

What I noticed that really helps if you, first of all, put TC on 1 and also reduce the brake balance. For instance I started out with Praiano's tune, saying brake balance for the NSX of 8 / 10, then I reduced it to 4 / 3 and my tyres lasted longer, enabling me to do 2 easy stops without wearing out my tyres (one stop even for some cars, like the HSV for instance). :)

Basically all SuperGT 500 cars can win the race for you being stock, easiest are the HSV, the Nismo Z and the GTR. Also, the Castrol TOM's Supra (1997) Xanavi Skyline GTR (2003) and the Takata Dome NSX (2003) are pretty easy to win with. If you want a real challenge, take a JGTC (hence 2000 or 2001) NSX. :D The fastest lap that I have driven in this seasonal (1:53 something), was with the Takata Dome NSX '03. Practise also makes perfect, if you do this race often enough you'll soon be very good. :P

Edit: I use a DS3 with X for acceleration and square for braking, automatic transmission.

What kills me about this event is how much quicker the FRONT tires wear down compared to the BACK. Yesterday I ran this event with the TS030 because I knew it would be an easy victory, but I wanted to go as gentle as I could on the tires, especially the fronts. That meant turning down the brake bias a click from my normal setting and no trailbraking at all. I would get on my brakes much sooner than normal and scrub that speed away so my corner turn in would be considerably smoother than usual. Most of the time I would actually have to apply a little throttle because I actually slowed down too much! Now, I couldn't do this for every single corner. After all, I was still trying to win the race. I just wanted to see how much abuse I could keep off those front tires compared to my normal driving.

I've run this event with the Toyota TS030 four times now. This "experiment" was my fourth attempt with the car. On the first three attempts I decided to change my tires on the 7th lap, 6th lap and then 7th lap. For this run, I was able to wait until the 8th lap to change my tires and I seriously probably could have even gone one more lap, but the track was drying, I barely had a lead and with the track drying I knew the car in Position 2 would start driving much faster than I could with my degraded tires.

So, in conclusion, the front tires are going to still wear out faster than the rears even if you try to baby them considerably. With a car like the TS030, if you're going for the 1 stop strategy and only IM's, I say drive your normal style. There's really nothing to gain by babying the tires. You're still going to need that 1 pitstop, so you might as well try to put as much distance between yourself and the AI as possible.

What kills me about this event is how much quicker the FRONT tires wear down compared to the BACK. Yesterday I ran this event with the TS030 because I knew it would be an easy victory, but I wanted to go as gentle as I could on the tires, especially the fronts. That meant turning down the brake bias a click from my normal setting and no trailbraking at all. I would get on my brakes much sooner than normal and scrub that speed away so my corner turn in would be considerably smoother than usual. Most of the time I would actually have to apply a little throttle because I actually slowed down too much! Now, I couldn't do this for every single corner. After all, I was still trying to win the race. I just wanted to see how much abuse I could keep off those front tires compared to my normal driving.

I've run this event with the Toyota TS030 four times now. This "experiment" was my fourth attempt with the car. On the first three attempts I decided to change my tires on the 7th lap, 6th lap and then 7th lap. For this run, I was able to wait until the 8th lap to change my tires and I seriously probably could have even gone one more lap, but the track was drying, I barely had a lead and with the track drying I knew the car in Position 2 would start driving much faster than I could with my degraded tires.

So, in conclusion, the front tires are going to still wear out faster than the rears even if you try to baby them considerably. With a car like the TS030, if you're going for the 1 stop strategy and only IM's, I say drive your normal style. There's really nothing to gain by babying the tires. You're still going to need that 1 pitstop, so you might as well try to put as much distance between yourself and the AI as possible.

Depends on your driving, the car setup and the car itself. Drive the NSX Super GT base model and see if you can get the front tyres to wear out first in that, it's pretty much impossible to do. The TS030 was pretty even for me and the wear was really low on RS, I think they were at 6 after 3 laps. The inters will last ages if the track is still wet, but once it gets below 20% they start to wear a lot quicker, and on a completely dry line they wear down really fast. The better way of looking after the tyres in that car seems to be to run 2/0 brake bias and brake early to generate as much hybrid energy as you can, then really focus on the corner exit.

No Penalties. Tune By Me. Audi R18 TDI. Started On Intermediate Tires. Pass For The Lead On Lap 5. I Went Into The Pits On Lap 8 Took 21 Liters Of Gas And Racing Soft Tires. Went Back Out In The Lead On Lap 9. Fast Lap 1:56. Won By 1:38.287.

Truth!!

this season just made me more frustrated that i cant make these events on my own WITHOUT KID RECOVERY FARCE

Agree!!

Last edited by a moderator:

There is really no need to post these single word acknowledgements/agreements of other peoples statements, especially if it means double or triple posting [which you have already been warned about by GTP staff] .. So if you really must do it, please use the '+Quote' or 'Edit' button to keep it in a single post.

Otherwise, If you like and agree with somebody's statement then just a hit of the 'Like' button on that post is enough, unless you actually have something more to say about it yourself. 👍

There is really no need to post these single word acknowledgements/agreements of other peoples statements, especially if it means double or triple posting [which you have already been warned about by GTP staff] .. So if you really must do it, please use the '+Quote' or 'Edit' button to keep it in a single post.

Otherwise, If you like and agree with somebody's statement then just a hit of the 'Like' button on that post is enough, unless you actually have something more to say about it yourself. 👍
Roger that!! Just to make sure I hit the quotes that I want to respond to and then make my comments in one post.

Last edited:
Yes, when you are reading through the thread and want to quote multiple posts you '+Quote' each one as you go and on the bottom left of the reply box will appear an 'Insert Quotes' button, you click that and then also click the popup to confirm and then all quotes will be added to the reply box, then just add your responses below each quote and you are ready to post. 👍

So why was that a triple post?
I should have put all the quotes together and then responded to nowcontrol?? I am lost again on this topic and need all the help I can get. I am very sorry that this happened and working hard to correct my post. Thank you again.

2J '70 = Almost Guaranteed Win.

I struggled on this with my trusty NSX Stealth model (dualshock), after several attempts was still only finishing mid-pack. Even resorting to desperate acts like cutting the chicane didn't help.

I had recently bought the 2J to burn cash, and tried it on the Suzuka Survival challenge. Using it here was my second time using the car and setup was default except for tranny moved down to 300 top speed and TC =2.

Easy win with 11 second lead despite 2 pits and some bad driving on my part. No need for nonsense like chicane cutting. This car feels like cheating even without cheating in driving style.

As someone pointed out above, the driving line is essential for the last lap in the dark since this car has no headlights

For Grinding (credits) pourpose only:

Been using the new Mazda VGT on this particular event for credit grinding and the following tune is perfect for it, designed for IM tyres and 24M Nring Super License race:

Tune by @demonchilde - Mazda LM55 Vision GT

Link

Super easy to drive, minimal tyre wear and fuel, almost no pit needed (for me I do one for tyres). Just downgrade the car to 600PP...

Like said, perfect for credits... 👍

And if you want even more fun, try it with the areo at stock values or even at "zero"... :D

Last edited:
Anyone succeeded in the Ferrari 330 P4 '67 yet? Used a slightly modified Praiano tune in an almost completely wet race on IM's where I didn't need to refuel & just changed to RH for the last 3 laps - reckon I only lost as my gearing was wrong & hit the rev limiter twice a lap! Might buy some RS as well...

cmt
Anyone succeeded in the Ferrari 330 P4 '67 yet? Used a slightly modified Praiano tune in an almost completely wet race on IM's where I didn't need to refuel & just changed to RH for the last 3 laps - reckon I only lost as my gearing was wrong & hit the rev limiter twice a lap! Might buy some RS as well...
I will look into the Ferrari 330 P4 '67 and get back.

cmt
Anyone succeeded in the Ferrari 330 P4 '67 yet?

Used the 330 yesterday, lovely car. Started on IM's and changed to RS's end of lap seven.
Used the same strategy with the RX7 GT300.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back