New Year Holiday Challenge: Suzuka Circuit 2014 10 Lap Survival Race

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 176 comments
What? I did the 2 RS to lap two, then could only manage IM to lap 6, and then had to grab RS's. Finished 21:XX (30 or so) But the XANAVI NISMO Z finished in 20:57, what the hell?

I'm gonna try this with a GT500 car on IM, pitting on Lap 5/into Lap 6 for IM and see how that goes. i want to use an equal car so it's not overkill but I want to ensure victory so as not to waste 20 minutes for nothing.

The RX-7 Touring Car at 600PP is 577HP - 975kg. That should be a winning combo right?

Praiano´s Mazda Furai tune turns this into Sunday cup lol

Finished with 50% tyres left and 33% fuel left with no pitstops, on IM.
Took the lead on lap 4, started lapping AI at the end of lap 7.

21:30:084 with the Mazda Furai on IM, no pitstop, 39" ahead. Very easy win after a couple of non win races with other cars...
I cought the leader early in the fourth lap, never saw them again.
Used my own tune for the Nordschleife.

One thought: (also for the other seasonals) what has PD done to the force feedback ??
I had to crank it up 3 numbers to get the same feeling as normal.
I set my T500RS at 3/1 after the last updates, now I had to use 6/4. At 3/1 it felt like I was driving (flying a UFO), no feeling at all.
Going back to my "normal" 24" races at the Nordschleife, I went back to 3/1...
Or am I the only one experiencing this ?

Last edited:
I really enjoy these rain events, I have been using the Garaiya GT300, Z06 LM and the Camaro LM. The Camaro makes for a fun race because the front tires wear out really quickly and are all but gone at the end of lap 5 and 10. Wish PSN would come back up, I have a little time today and wanted to try a few other cars.

Front tire wear at finish.
image.jpg image.jpg

Can someone please post a tune and Pit Strategy for the this event for the Honda Raybrig HSV-010? I'm using Praiano's tune right now

Used my BMW Z4 GT3, ran RS until the end of lap 2, then put inters on and ran those until the end of lap 8, switched back to RS for the last two laps. Pretty easy to win because the AI makes some really stupid tyre choices. I saw a few cars in 80% wet using RH tyres.

used lm55,im tires changed for im tires at end of lap 6 got 1lt fuel,passed the ai on last lap,geez if I can do it 99% of you can,nerve wracking
I have tried this course several times since my two wins and can't get close to a win,go figure,it think the track changes against your driving

I used the McLaren F1 GTR BMW with 2 stops for the win. Started with RS tyres, pit at end of lap 2 for IM tyres, then pit at end of lap 7 for fresh IM to finish the race with.

:eek: What the... how did I not know that car had an interior?? :mad: aaarrgh I thought it was standard. :embarrassed:

I have tried this course several times since my two wins and can't get close to a win,go figure,it think the track changes against your driving
Could very well be, but certainly the AI does...
I encountered VERY fast & clean AI, but also a bunch of very aggressive and slower ones and sometimes a mix of both.
Sometimes I could see them crash, even four or five of them together in real mayhem.

The Furai on IM normally gives a very easy win, but also some third places and worse. Same driving, no mistakes, almost the same total race time.
So, definately, conditions are not always the same.

But once again (see my post #34), am I the only one with FF issues in these seasonals ? It would surprise me, since the issues are gone when I'm driving outside the seasonals.

:eek: What the... how did I not know that car had an interior?? :mad: aaarrgh I thought it was standard. :embarrassed:

The BMW McLaren F1 GTR Race Car '97 is a standard. All other versions of the McLaren F1 are premiums....I used McLaren F1 GTR - BMW (Kokusai Kaihatsu UK Racing) '95 for this race.

I think that although the lineup always seems the same (at first glance) it isn't. Noticed a huge difference after going out and returning again. Can't remember any details but it was just much easier to win after returning. And that's with IM tyres and a stop half way.

This Mazda LM55 Vision GT is out standing car for this race with a nice tune, and a good thing you do not have to pit.View attachment 280691

I noticed just now that the opponents in this seasonal are real life drivers with the correct name and nationality. I race without the AI name list and don't pay much attention to the result lists. Has it been like this before in seasonals or is it just in the holiday seasonals?

I managed to get gold with GTRufus's strategy for the HSV (base model in my case, default setup with engine tune, power limiter to 600PP, max downforce). Started on inters and pitted after lap 5 for fresh inters. Took the lead going into the last lap. On the 5th and 10th lap, my fronts tyres wore down to 1 and 2, with almost now grip from the Spoon curve onwards. Especially on the last lap when I was running worn inters on a dry track. Between the Spoon curve and the finish line, the 2nd place car was able to catch up rapidly. I won by 0.2s. Had I not been on the racing line out of the chicane before the finish line I would have been passed since the 2nd car was quicker.

Hmm, maybe I should take it back that this one is easier than the Nurb one. Tried several times with my Epson NSX, using the same tune as I did with the Nurb race, but closest I've been to winning was 4 seconds behind the Xanavi GTR. Could have won that race if the Supra wouldn't have bumped into me giving me a 5 sec penalty. I was lapping him, racing with the Yellowhat GTR in the meantime, catching up the Xanavi GTR. Seems like races with more rain are better for the Epson NSX, since a track getting to 75-80% wet gets me more to the front than a track that only reaches 45%. Don't understand that it is so hard with the Epson NSX, while I won easily with the Raybrig NSX. With the Epson NSX I have to get new inters on lap 6 already, with the Raybrig I could easily do 6 laps on them. :boggled:

21:30:084 with the Mazda Furai on IM, no pitstop, 39" ahead. Very easy win after a couple of non win races with other cars...
I cought the leader early in the fourth lap, never saw them again.
Used my own tune for the Nordschleife.

One thought: (also for the other seasonals) what has PD done to the force feedback ??
I had to crank it up 3 numbers to get the same feeling as normal.
I set my T500RS at 3/1 after the last updates, now I had to use 6/4. At 3/1 it felt like I was driving (flying a UFO), no feeling at all.
Going back to my "normal" 24" races at the Nordschleife, I went back to 3/1...
Or am I the only one experiencing this ?

I guess Furai's front axle weight and wet track don't help wheel resistance...

Not sure how you guys are getting away with no pit stop.
I'm using the Furai on IM's and have to pit the same lap as the leader.
My fronts are on 5 rears 3.
If I even try to push, I spin.
even with a pit stop to refresh the rains, I still won by 18 seconds.

Tried the Furai on inters gig for this one several times against same field, ie, no closing and re-opening, just re-try.Funnily enough, a different result every time. One time, made it through the race with no pit stop , tyres still 3-4 at the end, for a second place. Just couldn't quite get round the red GT-R. Other times, down to 0-1 on lap 9, didn't even make it back to pit to change, a dnf.Won the race by pitting at the end of lap 5 and putting fresh inters on and pushing it for the last 5 laps. Probably wouldn't have got the leader, but they conveniently spun out allowing me the win. It seems to me that how the race develops has a great deal to do with your first lap or two. Do a 2-10 and the race dumbs down, do a 1-57 and hold on. A good challenge all the same with a generous payout.

I noticed just now that the opponents in this seasonal are real life drivers with the correct name and nationality. I race without the AI name list and don't pay much attention to the result lists. Has it been like this before in seasonals or is it just in the holiday seasonals?
I did not know they were real drivers names, and to your question, no I have not notice real name drivers before.

Last edited:
Gold with the new LM55. Power to 50%, add a little weight to get down to 600pp. Turns in well under brakes.
First 2 laps racing soft, then 6 on intermediates, then 2 on racing soft.
This is heaps of fun!

I used RI the whole time, pitted at the end of lap 6, won by 10 seconds cruising the whole way. No challenge whatsoever, this car is slow as hell with this power, but turns fantastic, and brakes just as well! Thanks :)

Could very well be, but certainly the AI does...
I encountered VERY fast & clean AI, but also a bunch of very aggressive and slower ones and sometimes a mix of both.
Sometimes I could see them crash, even four or five of them together in real mayhem.

The Furai on IM normally gives a very easy win, but also some third places and worse. Same driving, no mistakes, almost the same total race time.
So, definately, conditions are not always the same.

But once again (see my post #34), am I the only one with FF issues in these seasonals ? It would surprise me, since the issues are gone when I'm driving outside the seasonals.
I am having the same FF issues as you on the seasonals only. Not sure why and no way to correct it.

If anyone wants an actual challenge rather than an easy ride with no pit stops, try using a car with 600PP or less rather than downtuning one with more than 600PP. My workhorse GTR Touring Car won the Nurburgring event for me but was way too slow here. My other mainstay the Nomad Diablo was a lot faster but too happy to shred the tyres, so I had to go shopping.

Bought the Audi R8 GT (whatever it's called, the yellow and blue one) and it drove nicely but was surprisingly slow. I then got the Nissan GTR500 (the base model of the Xanavi Z) and got within an agonising 1 second of the semi-rabbit Xanavi GTR. I seem unable to avoid at least 2 stops in this race, usually sticking with RS for the first 2 or 3 laps, then changing to inters as the track inevitably starts to get wet, then inters again around end of lap 7, as even if it's gone down to 0% the track seems very wet to me. Takes a good couple of laps to truly dry, when it happens, then inters wear down at a scary rate.

I wonder if the Xanavi GTR is a little faster than the Xanavi Z, and if so I need to keep restarting til the Z is in the line up, or invest in the GTR. Has anyone come across a lineup without either of these cars?

Last edited:
This race is a lot more difficult than the Nurburgring one. A car that I could win by 20 seconds in at the Nurburgring I only just win with at Suzuka, due to the Xanavi GT-R only doing one stop and then making the inters it runs on for 8 laps last really well until the end while still doing quick laptimes. The trick is to use a car with really low tyre wear and pit once, but there's not a huge amount of cars that can do that, and most of them are detuned LMP's.

Latest Posts

Back