New Year Holiday Challenge: Suzuka Circuit 2014 10 Lap Survival Race

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 176 comments
United Kingdom
London
nowcontrol
New Year Holiday Challenge: Suzuka Circuit 2014 10 Lap Survival Race

02_suzuka-jpg.279634

Image courtesy of JogoAsobi .. Many Thanks.

Period of Availability: 25/12/2014 - 08/01/2015 .. 03:00 GMT/UTC

Event Conditions:
Type: Single Race
Start Procedure: Rolling Start
Duration: 10 Laps

Entry Requirements:
PP: 600 or less
Tyres: Racing Soft or less .. Min: Racing Hard
Categories: Racing Car
Nitrous: Cannot be Fitted

Prizes:
Gold: Cr.550,000
Silver: Cr.275,000
Bronze: Cr.220,000

Gift(s):
Gold: GT FLUORESCENCE 010-W paint chip.

Track Conditions:
Track: Suzuka Circuit 2014
Track Length: 3.61 miles / 5810 m
Time of day: **:**
Temp: **ºc
Precipitation: 0%

Typical Opponents:
Nissan XANAVI NISMO Z '06
Nissan Calsonic IMPUL GT-R '08
Nissan WOODONE ADVAN Clarion GT-R '08

Tunes:
Tunes for the events can be found at one of these links:

GTPlanet Tuning Database - maintained by Jordan

GT6 Tune Directory - maintained by XS

Praiano GT6 Tunes - by praiano63

Motor City Tunes GT6 - by Motor City Hami

Team-Shmo GT6 tuning - by shmogt

Exeter GT Tuning - by shaunm80

Clueless, over The Hill Outlaws - by CyKosis1973

Little Duckpond Under The Mountain - Thorin Cain

TUNERXANDE1959 & GT6/STREET CAR/RACE CAR - @TUNERXANDE1959

Dante's gt6 tuning garage - by lldantell

Bowtie's Speed Shop - by Bowtie-muscle

The Devil's Playground - by demonchilde

MGO Seasonal Tuning - by mgo

If you would like your garage to be added to this list, please message me with details.

:gtplanet:

Last edited:
I am having trouble seeing the track once the rain starts...is it me or my settings? Anyone else having this problem?

Similar to the Nurburgring one last week, pretty tough challenge but at least it is all daytime, those AI sure are fast. Spun a couple of times with the TS030 trying the Inters 5 laps each, once you are in the sand it takes forever to get back on track.

Winner was in 21:43 so need to average 2:07.5 laps to beat.

Last edited:
Gold with the new LM55. Power to 50%, add a little weight to get down to 600pp. Turns in well under brakes.
First 2 laps racing soft, then 6 on intermediates, then 2 on racing soft.
This is heaps of fun!

Second that, plus you can get it for free from just participating in the time trial race. I used IM through the whole race, only needed to pit on lap 10 for 3-5 gas and won by ~7 seconds. In my case, Xanavi GT-R '08 is the one to watch -- AI only pitted once on lap3 from RS to IM, and used IM for the rest of the race.

Second that, plus you can get it for free from just participating in the time trial race. I used IM through the whole race, only needed to pit on lap 10 for 3-5 gas and won by ~7 seconds. In my case, Xanavi GT-R '08 is the one to watch -- AI only pitted once on lap3 from RS to IM, and used IM for the rest of the race.

Third that.... power all the way down ballast of 60kg ... awesome fun... IM to start. pit at the end of 6th lap for fresh IM .. massive gap by the end ;)

Attachments

• 20141225_191949.jpg
    20141225_191949.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
Gold with the new LM55. Power to 50%, add a little weight to get down to 600pp. Turns in well under brakes.
This is heaps of fun!
used lm55,im tires changed for im tires at end of lap 6 got 1lt fuel,passed the ai on last lap,geez if I can do it 99% of you can,nerve wracking

This race is much easier than the Nürburgring one. I'm very happy they kept it a GT500 class race, these are my fave cars. In terms of difficulty and a challenge, I like the Nürburgring more, in terms of track, definitely this one, as Suzuka is one of my fave tracks. :D

Just had two races with my Raybrig NSX '06. Had nice races, finished 2nd the first time (at 1.6 secs from the winning Xanavi Nismo GTR). For some inexplicable reason during the rain I went off in between the hairpin and the Spoon curves, hit the wall and received a 5 second penalty for hitting the wall. :P So, that's why I lost. Second time, no mistakes, and I won by 6 seconds, overtook the leading Xanavi Nismo GTR at the back straight, while accelerating out of the 2nd Spoon curve. Pit strategy was RS-IM-RS with stops in laps 2 and 8. Don't be fooled by the drying track at lap 4, in lap 5 it will rain again. Better to stay out on inters then. :) The AI car to watch is the Xanavi Nismo GTR, this one will finish way ahead of the other AI cars. But this may depend on weather of course too. My races went to around 60% wet in lap 3, then drying up completely in lap 4, then rain again to around 48% wetness in lap 7 and 8. Halfway through lap 8 the track was dry again. If you're using the NSX though, watch your tyres, mine were all at 4 at the end of lap 8 when I pitted. :)

All in all, if you were getting frustrated by the Nürburgring race, do this one, it's much easier. :)

This race is much easier than the Nürburgring one. I'm very happy they kept it a GT500 class race, these are my fave cars. In terms of difficulty and a challenge, I like the Nürburgring more, in terms of track, definitely this one, as Suzuka is one of my fave tracks. :D

Just had two races with my Raybrig NSX '06. Had nice races, finished 2nd the first time (at 1.6 secs from the winning Xanavi Nismo GTR). For some inexplicable reason during the rain I went off in between the hairpin and the Spoon curves, hit the wall and received a 5 second penalty for hitting the wall. :P So, that's why I lost. Second time, no mistakes, and I won by 6 seconds, overtook the leading Xanavi Nismo GTR at the back straight, while accelerating out of the 2nd Spoon curve. Pit strategy was RS-IM-RS with stops in laps 2 and 8. Don't be fooled by the drying track at lap 4, in lap 5 it will rain again. Better to stay out on inters then. :) The AI car to watch is the Xanavi Nismo GTR, this one will finish way ahead of the other AI cars. But this may depend on weather of course too. My races went to around 60% wet in lap 3, then drying up completely in lap 4, then rain again to around 48% wetness in lap 7 and 8. Halfway through lap 8 the track was dry again. If you're using the NSX though, watch your tyres, mine were all at 4 at the end of lap 8 when I pitted. :)

All in all, if you were getting frustrated by the Nürburgring race, do this one, it's much easier. :)

I found it much harder. I used my HSV 15th AE for both, with default setup and power limiter to get it down to 600PP. I was able to win the Nürb one, but on this one I came 3rd, almost half a minute after the leader after pushing just as hard as on Nürb. Strategy was 2 RS - 4 INT - 4 INT. Even though the AI only pitted for inters on lap 2/3 they seem to make it to the end on them, which wasn't the case for me. I was stable even on worn inters but had some understeer. Had a slight off in the chicane on the second to last lap, lost 4s, but I was already 24s behind the leader so that wasn't why I lost.

The big difference is that in the Nürb one, the AI pits twice, which means they spend a lot of time in the pits, giving you more chance to catch up. In this one they not only pit once, but somehow they are still fast on a dry track with 7 laps old inters.

I used the TS030, starting on intermediates. I won by over half a minute on the first try with a stop for fresh intermediates end of lap 5.

This was too easy, but good for 1.1 million credits for about 21.5 minutes of driving.

I am very sorry to see the 500PP race at Apricot closed. That was an extremely fun event.

Won it second time out, ran the first one to scout conditions, and finished third in that one.

I used my Time Trial TS030 starting on Intermediates and staying on them until the end of lap 7. Then 3 hard laps on RS. Even with a big spin into the kitty litter on spoon curve, I won by 15s. Very enjoyable, AI plays it tight, you have to plan your moves. They will defend the apex on you.

I will try that Furai tune. I love that car.

I found it much harder. I used my HSV 15th AE for both, with default setup and power limiter to get it down to 600PP. I was able to win the Nürb one, but on this one I came 3rd, almost half a minute after the leader after pushing just as hard as on Nürb. Strategy was 2 RS - 4 INT - 4 INT. Even though the AI only pitted for inters on lap 2/3 they seem to make it to the end on them, which wasn't the case for me. I was stable even on worn inters but had some understeer. Had a slight off in the chicane on the second to last lap, lost 4s, but I was already 24s behind the leader so that wasn't why I lost.

The big difference is that in the Nürb one, the AI pits twice, which means they spend a lot of time in the pits, giving you more chance to catch up. In this one they not only pit once, but somehow they are still fast on a dry track with 7 laps old inters.

I think the best tactic is to start with RS tyres, then change to intermediates on lap 2, then switch back to RS tyres again on lap 8. That's at least what I did with the stock Raybrig NSX '06. In the last lap the lead car, the Xanavi Nismo GTR will have a really hard time on his inters, I was 11 seconds behind I think at the start of the final lap and still beat him with a lead of 6 seconds. So, in the last lap, you can make up a lot of time, you can easily win 16 seconds with RS tyres. So, if you're using RS tyres and are 15 seconds behind at the start of the final lap, don't worry, you''ll catch him. :) Even if you're still 6 seconds behind at the Spoon curves you will still catch the lead car. I overtook him just after the Spoon Curves.

The reason why I think this one is easier than the Nurb one is that on the Nurb one I had a really hard time winning with my Epson NSX, while now I had no difficulty at all winning with my Raybrig NSX. Don't think these cars are much different, but will certainly try the Nurb race again with the Raybrig NSX and the Suzuka one with the Epson NSX and the Raybrig NSX from 2000 (the hardest race I had with on the Nurb).

Another pretty fun event. If the Seasonals keep getting somewhat creative like this, I'll be pretty happy.

I tried doing this race last night, using a Nissan GTR base model. Couldn't quite bring it home, as I was pretty tired and making dumb mistake. During these attempts, the track would get to about 30-35% by lap 3, then dry to 0%, then back to 35% during lap 6, back to 0% by lap 8, and dry the rest of the way. I finished 2nd a couple times, using RH the whole time, pitting on either lap 6 or 7.

Gave it another shot this morning in my HSV base model, with success on the 3rd try. I struggled the first two goes today, as the weather cycle was different than it had been the night before. First time I've seen a seasonal do this? For today's attempts, the weather followed the same raining/drying cycle as before, except this time it was going all the way to 75% wet before drying out.

For my successful run, I started on RS, went balls out, pitted end of lap two. Switched to Inters, and took in 11 units of fuel (pretty sure is was 11...). I ran all the way to the finish from here.

The AI seemed to struggle with the wetter conditions. I passed several cars going very slowly, and also passed several cars that had spun off. I went from 4th to 1st on lap 5 when all three ahead of me went off together at the right hander just before going under the bridge.

From there I pretty much coasted home. Built a 30 second lead by the end, and lapped 4.

My Inters hit 3/3 at the end of lap 10. I didn't feel I had to push at all once I switched to Inters. They wear very slowly in the wet, and I just tried to be gentil with them in the dry. Not sure if it actually made a difference, but in the dry, I would dip off the dry line where possible to cool tires....might be a bit much for GT :lol:

Another pretty fun event. If the Seasonals keep getting somewhat creative like this, I'll be pretty happy.

Same here. Though I think we'll go back to the usual seasonals. Hope they will stay like the holiday seasonals. :)

Gave it another shot this morning in my HSV base model, with success on the 3rd try. I struggled the first two goes today, as the weather cycle was different than it had been the night before. First time I've seen a seasonal do this? For today's attempts, the weather followed the same raining/drying cycle as before, except this time it was going all the way to 75% wet before drying out.

Actually, the Nürburgring seasonal weather pattern also changes every time you do a separate run. Meaning you have to quit the race, not just restart.

My Inters hit 3/3 at the end of lap 10. I didn't feel I had to push at all once I switched to Inters. They wear very slowly in the wet, and I just tried to be gentil with them in the dry. Not sure if it actually made a difference, but in the dry, I would dip off the dry line where possible to cool tires....might be a bit much for GT :lol:

When mine hit 4/4 didn't dare to do another two laps on them. :P I also run on the wet parts of the track to cool my intermediate tyres (even do it with RS tyres sometimes), but I'm still wondering if that really makes a difference. Actually I do think it makes some kind of difference. Since when the track is wet, inters wear much slower than in the dry, so if you're driving on the wet portions of the track, they should wear less. Haven't tested it though. Might be an interesting thing to test. :D

This is heaps of fun!
Yes loving the Mazda LM55 4WD - might have made it without a fuel stop but the sun came out on lap 8 so I pitted and did the last two laps at a blistering pace on some nice new RS tyres :-) after doing the rest on one set of Intermediates

I hope they keep this seasonal format for a while - a real winner in my book! Suzuka being an old favourite of mine only adds to this :)

For those who struggle with these, start on inters, stay on inters until the track dries up for the second time, and then switch to slicks and for the love of god do NOT leave the racing line.

Once again I used the Toyota TS for this event, IM all the way, pitted once(after lap 5) Won by 30 secs.

Here's me in the Keihin out front, AI approaching with a late brake in the Raybrig:

image.jpg

Here's the AI Raybrig, ramming into me from behind:

image.jpg

And here's me, in the Keihin, still in front of the AI Raybrig, receiving a penalty for "ramming":

image.jpg

I find it hard to believe, had the situation been reversed, that I would not have received a ramming penalty for the first point of contact. Which suggests that PD can easily make the penalties system fairer by applying the same rules to both players and AI.

I can´t seem to find Praiano´s Mazda Furai tune... Can somebody post me a link to it please?

Happy hollidays. :cheers:

I think the best tactic is to start with RS tyres, then change to intermediates on lap 2, then switch back to RS tyres again on lap 8. That's at least what I did with the stock Raybrig NSX '06. In the last lap the lead car, the Xanavi Nismo GTR will have a really hard time on his inters, I was 11 seconds behind I think at the start of the final lap and still beat him with a lead of 6 seconds. So, in the last lap, you can make up a lot of time, you can easily win 16 seconds with RS tyres. So, if you're using RS tyres and are 15 seconds behind at the start of the final lap, don't worry, you''ll catch him. :) Even if you're still 6 seconds behind at the Spoon curves you will still catch the lead car. I overtook him just after the Spoon Curves.

The reason why I think this one is easier than the Nurb one is that on the Nurb one I had a really hard time winning with my Epson NSX, while now I had no difficulty at all winning with my Raybrig NSX. Don't think these cars are much different, but will certainly try the Nurb race again with the Raybrig NSX and the Suzuka one with the Epson NSX and the Raybrig NSX from 2000 (the hardest race I had with on the Nurb).

For my second try I actually used that exact tyre strategy. I had underestimated the late life performance of inters, I hadn't thought going 6 laps on them was possible but it was, although I was down to 2's on the tyre indicator and couldn't push towards the end of the stint. I did however catch up to the 2 leading cars on lap 8 before I pitted, but I wasn't able to get past. I switched to RS after lap 8, but even though there was 0% rain, the track was still too wet for RS. I spun many times when the rear suddenly stepped out in the last 2 laps, and I finished in 12th or something, over 50s behind the leading Nismo Z, who clocked in at 21:51. Since I was only 3rd when I pitted, some blistering last 2 laps would have really been needed.

Latest Posts

Back