New Year Holiday Challenge: Suzuka Circuit 2014 10 Lap Survival Race

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 176 comments
I had somewhat similar experience. Yesterday I tried weider HSV, Mazda Furai and finally the TS030 and just could not finish better than 2nd place. This was with the Toyota running lap times of 1:56 - 2:00. Still I lost by 6 seconds.

Today just now I ran an identical race with the Toyota, same lap times, and won by 51 second lead. Didn't observe the AI's pit strategy but I am fairly confident that they ran considerably faster yesterday.

I wonder if it might have something to do with the AI not dealing very well with a lot of rain, and messing up their tyre changes. They sometimes slow down so much...next time I will watch a replay and check out how their tyres are doing. Perhaps when the track is relatively dry for a lot of the race they make a lot less errors.

Anyway having really struggled with my Nissan Z, I tried the Honda HSV, stage 3 tuning took it up to exactly 600PP (it may have had an initial oil change some time ago, as I had used it before) and it was relatively a walk in the park. Great car if you can bear the engine revving to about 11k. Started on inters some of which had worn down to about 3 or 4 by the end of lap 5, put new inters on which easily lasted the rest of the race as it was pretty wet. Nice to Gold in a GT500 car rather than a downtuned LMP or extinct concept car ;)

So what's the deal with the race being incredibly easy, then incredibly hard? It's almost like rubberbanding without my car in front, literally 4-seconds a lap faster

I've always thought PD provides the range of difficulty scenarios in each event so people with different skill levels could find the/a scenario within the event that they can enjoy at a level of challenge suited to their ability to participate. Players can cycle through the scenarios to find the one that suits their needs or the car they wish to try. This current event keeps the same grid but varies the weather, allowing for all sorts of permutations of tire and pit strategies and skill levels, thus giving many more people the opportunity to "gold" then a single scenario would. Otherwise the events would be like the time trials, where once somebody figures out which car works best, players would tend to gravitate to using the same car/ solution. In other words, "the deal" is simply to make it more fun and interesting to everyone.

Ran the HSV-010 Base Model and won with it first try. This car handles great. Decided to try a different Toyota besides the TS030. Used the Supra GT500 Base Model and took a few tries to win. This car eats front tires worse than any of the other cars i ran in this event. They are at 0 when I pit at the end of lap 5 (my usual strategy) and the same at the end of the race. Found one tune and it didn't help much. Off to try some other cars.

Well done!👍

I'm interested in trying the Mobil 1 NSX, I would be happy to try out your tune!

Thanks,
GTsail

+1
Don't really like the NSX cars, maybe a tune that gets rid of the oversteer...

+3
I'd like to try it, too. Thank you!

Here it is (good to see some people interested in the Standard cars to test my tune :P)

Ride Height: 60 / 60
Spring rate: 13.35 / 15.60
Dampers compression: 5 / 4
Dampers extension: 4 / 3
Anti-roll Bar: 3 / 2
Camber: 0 / 0
Toe: -0.04 / 0.12 (didn't change this from the tune that I found online)

Brake balance: 4 / 3 (you can use other values, but don't go more than this, it will eat up your tyres)

LSD: 10 / 20 / 25

Downforce: 300 / 600

I found that soft set-ups work better in the rain, which should be (I think). I think that in real life racing set-ups are generally softer in rainy conditions than in the dry. Softer set-ups are also my preferred ones, I like a bit of stability. :)

Hope this set-up works for you guys.

Ran the HSV-010 Base Model and won with it first try. This car handles great. Decided to try a different Toyota besides the TS030. Used the Supra GT500 Base Model and took a few tries to win. This car eats front tires worse than any of the other cars i ran in this event. They are at 0 when I pit at the end of lap 5 (my usual strategy) and the same at the end of the race. Found one tune and it didn't help much. Off to try some other cars.

With the Supra, use Praiano's tune and do a strategy of 2 stops (RS-IM-RS) in laps 2 and 8. You'll win, but it will be a very very close race, catching the lead car in the final chicane.

For all:

Cars that will easily win the race:
YellowHat GTR '08 (think all the GTRs will easily win for you)
Xanavi Nismo Z '06
Raybrig NSX '06
Takata Dome NSX '06
Arta NSX '06

Cars that will give a nice challenge (but will still win for you):
Epson NSX '08
Mobil 1 NSX '01
YellowHat Supra '05

For all cars I used Praiano's tunes (where available). However, for many (especially the NSX') I softened the set-up a bit to suit my racing style and the rainy conditions.

A car I couldn't win with yet is the Denso Sard Supra '00. But just need to find a good tune for it, think I'll think of one the next few days. :)

Next I'll try the Skyline GTR JGTC cars, see what they can do.:)

Using LM 55 I go from 29 seconds behind to 33 seconds behind after one lap, will I get faster or am I doing something wrong?

After a few laps i am leading, but didnt have time to finish, will start over, IM till end of lap 6 then go to soft...I think that is what everyone is saying

Last edited:
Here it is (good to see some people interested in the Standard cars to test my tune :P)

Ride Height: 60 / 60
Spring rate: 13.35 / 15.60
Dampers compression: 5 / 4
Dampers extension: 4 / 3
Anti-roll Bar: 3 / 2
Camber: 0 / 0
Toe: -0.04 / 0.12 (didn't change this from the tune that I found online)

Brake balance: 4 / 3 (you can use other values, but don't go more than this, it will eat up your tyres)

LSD: 10 / 20 / 25

Downforce: 300 / 600

I found that soft set-ups work better in the rain, which should be (I think). I think that in real life racing set-ups are generally softer in rainy conditions than in the dry. Softer set-ups are also my preferred ones, I like a bit of stability. :)

Thanks for the tune!👍 I will give it a try!

My first attempt with the Mobil 1 NSX:
----------------------------------------
Lap1...1:54.993.....25 secs back
Lap2...1:59.412.....27 secs back
Pit for IM tires
Lap3...2:30.139.....48 secs back
Lap4...2:07.942.....40 secs back
Lap5...2:00.961.....41 secs back
Lap6...2:02.867.....37 secs back
Lap7....tires begin to wear out, so I do a 360 spin and get stuck in the sand and abandon race.

My second attempt with the Mobil 1 NSX:
--------------------------------------------
Lap1...1:55.161.....25 secs back
Lap2...1:55.609.....23 secs back
Lap3...2:11.833.....24 secs back (I had decided to try the 1st three laps on RS tires)
Pit for IM tires
Lap4...2:30.461.....48 secs back
Lap5...2:00.165.....44 secs back
Lap6...2:00.962.....40 secs back
Lap7...2:06.497.....24 secs back
Lap8....tires begin to wear out, so I slide off the tarmac and get stuck in the sand and abandon race.

That's my progress so far..... I will try again tonite.:)

@YuRiPa 's tune is great!👍 On a practice run, pushing even harder without any concern about tire-wear, I've been able to run a 1:53.347 for the first lap.

Its just my driving that needs improvement.:(

I'm wearing out the tires too quickly so the last lap before the pit-stop is unbearable.

See you at Suzuka!
GTsail

Last edited:
A car I couldn't win with yet is the Denso Sard Supra '00. But just need to find a good tune for it, think I'll think of one the next few days. :)

Next I'll try the Skyline GTR JGTC cars, see what they can do.:)

I won with that Supra the other night, was pretty close as I only caught the leader at the chicane on the last lap after I went off earlier on. Think it's possible to get into the lead with nearly a lap to spare if you have a really good run. Quickest lap was a 1:55 on lap 10 with worn tyres. Ran a two stop strategy, RS until the end of lap 2, then inters until the end of lap 8. No way I can one stop it without losing a huge amount of time.

Mobil NSX '1 2RS, 5-IM, 3 -IM . Won by about 20 secs. was having problems changing to RS at end as even though it stops raining on 9th lap its still very slippery, so using IM's again did the trick. BB 3-1 as rear tires were wearing too quick

Mobil NSX '1 2RS, 5-IM, 3 -IM . Won by about 20 secs. was having problems changing to RS at end as even though it stops raining on 9th lap its still very slippery, so using IM's again did the trick. BB 3-1 as rear tires were wearing too quick

Nice idea^^^^^👍

I was considering trying Inter's for the entire race, but still making it a two-stopper, maybe 3/4/3

but I think I will try your 2/5/3 first because its nice to use the RS tires from the start to stay with the AI cars that also use RS tires from the start.:)

Back to Suzuka!
GTsail

I found this one much easier than the Nurburgring event. Possibly because I like the track better.
But unlike the Nurburgring event, I cannot win with a 2-stop strategy. I do not make enough time on the Slicks to make up for the extra time spent in the pits.
Starting out on IM tires in the complete dry makes no sense, but the bots do it.
This one is relatively easy if you take care of the IM tires those two laps in order to have enough left to get to the end of lap 6.

I found this one much easier than the Nurburgring event. Possibly because I like the track better.
But unlike the Nurburgring event, I cannot win with a 2-stop strategy. I do not make enough time on the Slicks to make up for the extra time spent in the pits.
Starting out on IM tires in the complete dry makes no sense, but the bots do it.
This one is relatively easy if you take care of the IM tires those two laps in order to have enough left to get to the end of lap 6.
The one stop strategy with IM is the best way to go for me as the track is somewhat wet even when you start.

Agreed! In the scenarios I've raced, the rain starts about midway through the first lap.
I can run as low as 1:52s the first two laps on RS with the HSV (if I can get through the rolling roadblocks quickly enough that first lap) and then pit. Run until lap 7 or 8 on IM, pit for more IM and still come out too far away at the end to really make a push for it. It is challenge, for sure. Not possible for me at this time, but I like trying.

The one-stop strategy is too easy for the HSV. I will try the Castrol Supra if I get a chance. I couldn't win Nurburgring with it...we'll see about Suzuka.

Using LM 55 I go from 29 seconds behind to 33 seconds behind after one lap, will I get faster or am I doing something wrong?

After a few laps i am leading, but didnt have time to finish, will start over, IM till end of lap 6 then go to soft...I think that is what everyone is saying
I have notice it as well when I start after a lap with the LM 55, because the track is dry and when you start on IM and when it rain you will go quicker.

The first two AI cars are usually running on RS tires at the start of the race.

This makes these two AI cars very fast for the first two laps and they can pull away from you if you are running on IM tires at the start of the race. Later in the race, once the rain gets heavy, the AI slow down, so you can catch them if you drive fast enough and have made the correct car/tire choice.

Good luck!
GTsail

For something a bit different I had a go in the Pikes Peak Quattro, stock except the power limiter. Started on RIs and stopped after 5 laps for a fresh set and took on the recommended 4l of fuel. It's very heavy on the fronts, both sets worn to the bone at the front but only on 7 on the rears. The fuel gauge was in the red at the end of lap 9 but I carried on and won by 7s and was awarded a "by the skin of your teeth" trophy. Fun drive and very fast in the wet even with worn tyres.

I tried the Lister Storm, stage 3 tuning took it to 601PP so ticked it back to 600. But there's no saving that car it seems, feels very heavy, goes through tyres like they are pencil erasers (I had a very dry race though, not good for inters) and it seems to understeer. Wanted to get a few scalps at least but eventually gave up after 4 tyre changes. May look for a tune for this car though and pray for rain again :)

I tried the Lister Storm, stage 3 tuning took it to 601PP so ticked it back to 600. But there's no saving that car it seems, feels very heavy, goes through tyres like they are pencil erasers (I had a very dry race though, not good for inters) and it seems to understeer. Wanted to get a few scalps at least but eventually gave up after 4 tyre changes. May look for a tune for this car though and pray for rain again :)
This event is a real challenge for the heavy cars. Per kudosprime it is 1438kg. The tires simply cannot hold out with that much weight. Even GT3 cars, typically 1350kg, have a difficult time with only the best drivers able to win with them against GT500 competition, typically 1100kg.

The first two AI cars are usually running on RS tires at the start of the race.

This makes these two AI cars very fast for the first two laps and they can pull away from you if you are running on IM tires at the start of the race. Later in the race, once the rain gets heavy, the AI slow down, so you can catch them if you drive fast enough and have made the correct car/tire choice.

Good luck!
GTsail
I have just done this event three times today, and I notice looking at the replay at the start the 2 cars in front of me had IM on, and the next race I look at the leaderboard and one had IM on and the other car had RM on at the start , I think it changes from time to time.

As an average driver, I struggled using hsv thought it maybe same as 'ring hahaha. So I used Mazda lm55 vgt took power down n put weight on n only changed camber to .5 1.5 n top speed down a couple put ims on, pitted end lap 5 just for sake of it n won quite easily. Also use ds3 n abs 1. So everyone should be able to do this challenge.

TS030 Hybrid won race no pitstop RM(RH would have been easier), front right was 0 at end, won by bout 20secs. Very dry race, 1st 7 laps all under 2:02, then rain for a lap then dry. With RS 7 laps 3 IM won by 1:20

Finally:banghead:, I've won with the Mobil 1 NSX '01:)

I started on RS tires and pitted at the end of lap # 2:

Lap1...1:54.312.....24 secs back
Lap2...1:59.669.....24 secs back
I pit for IM tires and took on 10 liters of fuel. 5 other AI cars join me in the pits.
Lap3...2:37.459.....33 secs back
Lap4...2:12.550.....11 secs back
Lap5...2:01.937..... 4 secs behind Calsonic GTR
Lap6...2:04.646..... 5 second lead over the Calsonic GTR
Lap7...2:10.824..... 15 second lead over the Calsonic GTR
I pit at the end of lap # 7 for IM tires and 1 liter of fuel.
Lap8...2:35.896..... 2 secs behind the race leading Calsonic GTR who decides to pit, so as I begin lap # 9 I take over the race lead:)
Lap9...1:59.847..... 4.8 second lead over the Xanavi GTR
Lap10...2:01.249.... just cruising, my IM tires are fine all the way to the end.

Race time is: 22.06.189

AI finish order:
-----------------
2nd...Xanavi GTR.....10.0 secs back
3rd...YellowHat GTR....22.0 secs back
4th...Calsonic GTR....36.9 secs back
5th...Denso Sard......45.6 secs back

Tough race!
I used @nowayback 's 2RS/5IM/3IM tire strategy:tup::)
GTsail

Last edited:
I've always thought PD provides the range of difficulty scenarios in each event so people with different skill levels could find the/a scenario within the event that they can enjoy at a level of challenge suited to their ability to participate. Players can cycle through the scenarios to find the one that suits their needs or the car they wish to try. This current event keeps the same grid but varies the weather, allowing for all sorts of permutations of tire and pit strategies and skill levels, thus giving many more people the opportunity to "gold" then a single scenario would. Otherwise the events would be like the time trials, where once somebody figures out which car works best, players would tend to gravitate to using the same car/ solution. In other words, "the deal" is simply to make it more fun and interesting to everyone.

Interesting. I had no idea. Thanks for the tip.

Back