New Year Holiday Challenge: Suzuka Circuit 2014 10 Lap Survival Race

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 176 comments
Lurker, hmm didnt have any problems with the handling.....

Can be because i applied the tune before even trying the car. Might give it another go with stock settings.
Could be fun to see if the tune save's or eats tyre/fuel.

Well, I really struggled on the Nurburgring survival challenge with my NSX Stealth model, but it did better here on my first try - though I still didn't win on that first attempt. Decided to try the Chaparral 2J out as I had never driven it, but I keep seeing others using it for challenges like this.

Gold on first attempt with massive lead and I wasn't even trying hard (over 40 seconds which dropped to 17 seconds because I was lazy and didn't pit for lap 10 and wore my tires off). The 2J is just a "win button", it honestly felt like cheating. I'll have to try again with the NSX so that I can feel like I earned it.

If anyone is having trouble and just wants to get the win for the paint chip or the money, using this car should do it.

P.S. - I use a dualshock not a wheel as well.

I am having the same FF issues as you on the seasonals only. Not sure why and no way to correct it.
Thanks for telling. Since nobody else complained, I thought I was the only one...
Turning FF (both) up two or threee notches gave - almost - the same feeling.
Don't forget to turn it down again when not doing these seasonals, "the force" may surprise you, as it surprised me... :odd:

@Tyger : the Audi R8 LMS Phoenix (the blue/yellow) is not the fastest and certainly not the most easy to drive, but it is my favourite car since I started GT6. It has more than 14.000 km on the counter, 155 wins, but - until now - did not succeed to win the Suzuka survival.

Last edited:
Just won with my Takata Dome NSX (all stock, so at 564 PP). Was a really nice challenge, with the weather resulting in a wetness of around 65% in lap 3, after which it dried again. The next rainfall only led to around 35% wetness. Only pitted once, started on inters, then in lap 4 I changed to Racing Hards. Luckily at the start of lap 8 the track is already drying like crazy, so despite me being behind like 20 seconds midway through lap 9 and 16 at the start of lap 10, I still caught the Xanavi Nismo GTR at the hairpin I think. Won by like 6 seconds. :) First few tries I started with RS, then inters, but had to change again in lap 6. Went for inters (didn't know what the weather would be like) and had to stop in lap 8 again... Think it is doable with a two-stop strategy too, going RS-IM-RS (or RM) with stops in laps 2 and 6. Doing a one-stop (IM-RH), lap times in the dry don't need to be that quick, my fastest lap was a 2:02 something.

Just finished the race with the YellowHat Supra, was a fantastic race. First time I finished second, 8 secs behind the winning Nismo Z, but made some small mistakes. Second time, I passed the leading Nismo Z just before the final chicane and won by 1.5 seconds or something. :D Both times pitted on laps 2 and 8 (RS-IM-RS) and the rain caused a wetness of around 65% for the first shower, and 45% for the second. The Supra was not as bad for the tyres as it was with the Nurb seasonal. Though, doing 6 laps on inters will need careful driving during the last 1.5 lap of the stint. But if you want a terrific race, use this car. :D

If anyone wants an actual challenge rather than an easy ride with no pit stops, try using a car with 600PP or less rather than downtuning one with more than 600PP. My workhorse GTR Touring Car won the Nurburgring event for me but was way too slow here. My other mainstay the Nomad Diablo was a lot faster but too happy to shred the tyres, so I had to go shopping.

Bought the Audi R8 GT (whatever it's called, the yellow and blue one) and it drove nicely but was surprisingly slow. I then got the Nissan GTR500 (the base model of the Xanavi Z) and got within an agonising 1 second of the semi-rabbit Xanavi GTR. I seem unable to avoid 3 stops in this race, usually sticking with RS for the first 2 or 3 laps, then changing to inters as the track inevitably starts to get wet, then usually inters again around end of lap 7, as even if it's gone down to 0% the track seems very wet to me. Takes a good couple of laps to truly dry, when it happens, then inters wear down at a scary rate.

I wonder if the Xanavi GTR is a little faster than the Xanavi Z, and if so I need to keep restarting til the Z is in the line up, or invest in the GTR. Has anyone come across a lineup without either of these cars?

Normally the Nismo Z is faster than the Nismo GTR. Haven't tried either of them for this seasonal yet though. In this particular race the AI Nismo Z is also the fastest car, but he wears out his tyres at the end falling back a lot in the last two laps. Car to watch is the Xanavi Nismo GTR, not the fastest, but has a good pit strategy. One that you could never do, going RS-IM with a stop on lap 2. :P The line up, however, is always the same, Nismo Z is always starting in front.

Edit: Just did the race with the YellowHat GTR and the Xanavi Nismo Z '06. Both will grant you relatively easy victories, but beware, the Nismo Z, though the slightly quicker one, will wear out tyres slightly faster. So, if you do a two-stop strategy like me, with pit stops in laps 2 and 8 (RS-IM-RS), drive carefully in lap 8 with the Nismo Z (front tyres will be at 4, rear at 6, causing (sometimes massive) understeer). The GTR will leave you at 5 I think (or they might just go to 4 after the Spoon Curves) at the front and 6 or 7 at the rear. Laps in the dry should be around 1:56-1:58, then you're good to go.

Last edited:
Made 21:37.9 and 40 seconds ahead of 2nd with 1 stop (on 5th lap) TS030 Toyota. I used intermediates the whole race. In the first one and a half lap, tyres worn a lot due to dry surface. After that there was no problem.. But when it stops raining and driving line clears I avoided using the driving line becaus it would wear the tyres again. And my tyres were at 7 at the finish. And I didn't push the car like crazy.. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1870.JPG
    IMG_1870.JPG
    834.5 KB · Views: 11
You can go all the way to the end without a pit stop using the Mazda LM Vision GT on Intermediate, and win by nearly a minute. 👍

So I guess different cars wear tires out at different rates? I guess that makes sense, but never really thought about it :lol:

Can somebody explain the theory there? I'm sure it has something to do with the car's weight and/or weight balance? Is there some way to determine the approximate tire wear ahead of time by looking at the car's specs? Or is it pretty much a trial and error exercise?

So I guess different cars wear tires out at different rates? I guess that makes sense, but never really thought about it :lol:

Can somebody explain the theory there? I'm sure it has something to do with the car's weight and/or weight balance? Is there some way to determine the approximate tire wear ahead of time by looking at the car's specs? Or is it pretty much a trial and error exercise?

It's a bit of a weird one with GT because the cars use the generic GT racing tyres. Most of the race cars would have tyres of different compounds and construction and would last different amounts of time because of that. Driving style and setup would also contribute to it, a very aggressive setup with a lot of camber would wear the tyres a lot quicker. In GT the cars seem to have a set value for tyre wear which isn't always what you'd expect. Take the GT3 cars for example, the Nissan will wear the tyres out a lot quicker than the others while running slower lap times, but in GT3 in real life the cars are usually similar on tyre wear while running similar lap times. Some of the standard model cars have weird tyre wear, either to one extreme or the other but this is less common with the premium cars. The prototypes usually have quite low tyre wear which is realistic if you use the RS or RM tyres. Those tyres provide a more realistic amount of grip for those cars and are what teams usually use in real life. It's rare for a modern prototype to be running hard tyres, unless they're trying to do a triple or quad stint on them in hot weather.

The weather conditions also play a part. Slicks wear a lot slower once the track starts to get wet, but you'll have so little grip it's not worth trying to run like that. Inters will wear slower when the track is over 30% wet and you can still push quite hard up until around 60-65% where they don't work as well as wet tyres would. On a drying track they can be quick, but once the racing line starts to get dry they'll start wearing quickly too. In real life you could combat that by cooling them down on the wet parts of the track, but it's not worth bothering in GT, especially in these races with the accelerated tyre wear. With most cars you'll lose so much time trying to run the wet line that the slight gain in tyre life will not make a difference. Also due to the accelerated tyre wear if you slide or lock up it wears the tyres really quickly, as does aggressive driving.

Only way to know how a car will do on a set of tyres is to try it, GT is incredibly inconsistent with it so trying to predict it just from the type of car is unlikely to work.

I kind of wish they would leave these available for later on. Some of them are fun like this. I really liked the Apricot Hill and Nurburgring ones. will be sad when they are gone.

Thanks for all the tips. I first tried Furai with IM but needed to pit for another set of IM to get third. Nr. 1 car had about 21:30 with max. 30% rain. Then I restarted, again with Furai on RS and after two laps switched to IM. This time I finished in about 21:30 with 4/4/5/5 tires left, rain was max. 70% and nr. 2 car was about 22:30. Probably one set of inters is possible if you get heavy rain. With DS3 controller, changing traction control in-game depending on amount of rain (1-7).

Ran this event with several cars so far. TS030, Furai, GT-R GT500 Stealth and GT-R GT500 Base. Won with all of them. These seasonal events have been a blast and a good learning experience for driving in the rain. Pedal down racers.

This one is not as intense as the Nurburgring that's for sure! ran the first stint on IM taking the lead and along the way and stretching it to about 19 seconds before I went for my single stop at the end of lap number 7.

Put on a fresh set of IM, no fuel required, dropped back down the field to forth (I think) but the leading pack wasn't far in front and easy to close down. Took the win by 5 seconds or so :)

Car of choice was the Keihin HSV @ 580pp.

God, I loved this race. Used the TS030 Hybrid on IM tyres, stopped at the end of lap 5 for a fresh set of tyres (dropped to around 6th), but I was able to take back first position by lap 7. I think I beat the opposition by about 25 seconds or so, and finished with a 21:26.xxx, I think. I'm definitely returning to this race, it definitely beats driving Red Bull's to get money.

Made 21:37.9 and 40 seconds ahead of 2nd with 1 stop (on 5th lap) TS030 Toyota. I used intermediates the whole race. In the first one and a half lap, tyres worn a lot due to dry surface. After that there was no problem.. But when it stops raining and driving line clears I avoided using the driving line becaus it would wear the tyres again. And my tyres were at 7 at the finish. And I didn't push the car like crazy.. :)
:D Didn't finish as well as most of you guys, but after 3 attempts in the LM55, which I will try again tomorrow after tinkering with the transmission, I switched to the TS030 and took gold 1st time, IM tyres all the way and changing after lap 5. Great fun and nice purse too. Need to win this in at least one other car though! :cool:
image.jpg

Loved this race!

Decided to race my trustworthy stock Kunimitsu HSV, started on RS tires and made it to 11th place by lap 2. Pitted, switched to IM tires and left the pitlane in 13th place. Managed to pass Treluyer at the beginning of lap 7 and Philippe around the chicane, then managed to keep the car on track and Treluyer behind me until the last corner.
Regulating him with the front tires shredded (2 on the left one and 1 on the right when I crossed the finish line) was a mighty task, but a backmarker in a Lexus - Lotterer, I think - came to the rescue by getting in his way at the last chicane.

It may be time to get a good tune on ths car, tho. All I could to to make it stick to the road a bit better was raise the spoilers and add a 30kg ballast at the rear of the car.

No penalties. Cockpit view. Audi R18 TDI. Tune by me. My race plan was to go with a one pit stop strategy by using Intermediate race tires for the complete race. The rain started at the end of lap 1 and continued just before the end of lap 4. I passed the Xanavi Nismo GT-R just before the end of lap 4 to take over P1. The rain started back up by the end of lap 6. I went into the pit on lap 6 beginning of lap 7 for Intermediates and fuel as instructed by the crew chief with no changes by the driver. I came out on lap 7 in P2 and promptly gave chaise to the Xanavi Nismo taking P1 on lap 7. The rain stopped on lap 8 and I took the checkered flag for the win by 29:292 over the Xanavi Nismo. Total time 21:46.679. Fast lap 2:00. My humble recommendation is to go with a one stop strategy with intermediate race rubber for the win. I did not race outside the racing line to keep the tires from scrubbing out. I like that you cannot use racing soft to win races in the rain. Bravo to GT6. Well done! Also keep brake bias to 0 front 2 rear to help tire wear. Also most of your overtaking of other race cars will happen in the rain as they slow down a lot.

I always make these challenges with untuned cars... I keep ending in 4th after perfect runs, like at half second to third :D

Shall i start bothering myself to tune the car?

I had a soft-inter-soft run that was promising but the AI didn't pit for tires as usually does lol

Edit: obviously using a gt500 car, the z'06

20141229_212016.jpg
20141229_191736.jpg
Mazda LM55 is the easiest car to win in both wet track. Not my favourite car, but easy to win until my credit goes to maximum easily. This car easily win over 1 minutes even got mistake or 2 penalties as above result . Use intermediate all the way, pit in on lap 5 or 6 . Same setting on both track . Now, got to use some harder car to have fun...

Last edited:
Just had some awesome races with the Mobil 1 NSX '01. :D First time with a tune totally made by myself since the one that I could find only led to massive oversteer. :P Quite happy with my own tune, do 1:57s again with this car in the dry. Pitted twice in laps 2 and 8 (RS-IM-RS) and won by 6 seconds. Got the leading Xanavi GTR at the Spoon Curves.

First time I did the race my fastest lap times were like 2:02 but that was due to massive oversteer. Finished 6th I think but was at one point running in 3rd place, was already happy with that.

Second time I used my own tune and finished 2nd. In lap 7 while in the lead I crashed out in the 130R and spun out again in the second corner after my pit stop in lap 8. That blew my chances and had to go up again from 5th place.

Third time was a great race, caught the Xanavi GTR in the final chicane, he wore out his tyres, I went around him in the chicane, he just steers in though and hits me, giving me a 5 sec penalty and giving himself the win by 1.6 secs.

Fourth race I finally won. :D The Mobil 1 NSX is a great car to race with. People who are interested in the tune, just let me know and I'll post it.

******Fourth race I finally won. :D The Mobil 1 NSX is a great car to race with. People who are interested in the tune, just let me know and I'll post it.

Well done!👍

I'm interested in trying the Mobil 1 NSX, I would be happy to try out your tune!

Thanks,
GTsail

OK, ran this challenge again for fun last night, and it has that weird GT issue where sometimes it'll kick your ass.

Basically, I run this challenge in a little over 21 minutes, and usually win by 10-20 seconds.

Last night I ran the same challenge, same car, same times, and lost by 21 seconds. The track seemed to be more dry, and I'm certain a few of the cars never pitted. I did this twice.

Then I went completely out of the challenge, came back in, ran the same times, and won by 20 & 35 seconds.

Anyone got a name for this? I know it used to happen a lot in GT4 & GT5, if I couldn't beat a challenge, I'd just get out of it, and restart it, and destroy it.

Oh, and the WOODONE win's in the hard one.

OK, ran this challenge again for fun last night, and it has that weird GT issue where sometimes it'll kick your ass.

Basically, I run this challenge in a little over 21 minutes, and usually win by 10-20 seconds.

Last night I ran the same challenge, same car, same times, and lost by 21 seconds. The track seemed to be more dry, and I'm certain a few of the cars never pitted. I did this twice.

Then I went completely out of the challenge, came back in, ran the same times, and won by 20 & 35 seconds.

Anyone got a name for this? I know it used to happen a lot in GT4 & GT5, if I couldn't beat a challenge, I'd just get out of it, and restart it, and destroy it.

Oh, and the WOODONE win's in the hard one.

You are not alone on this as this has happened to me several times at Suzuka but not at the Nurb rain challenge.

You know that the weather isn't the same in every race, right? So it could well have been more dry. It follows a general dry-wet-dry-wet-dry pattern but just how much it rains and how wet the track gets (which obviously means it takes longer to dry) can vary a lot. I tend to pray for rain, because then you know the inters should last you 5 laps (also the AI make more errors or crawl along), but if it goes over 70% you really have to have your wits about you in some places.

You know that the weather isn't the same in every race, right? So it could well have been more dry. It follows a general dry-wet-dry-wet-dry pattern but just how much it rains and how wet the track gets (which obviously means it takes longer to dry) can vary a lot. I tend to pray for rain, because then you know the inters should last you 5 laps (also the AI make more errors or crawl along), but if it goes over 70% you really have to have your wits about you in some places.

I had no idea, guess I never paid much attention to that part. I normally don't completely leave a challenge, then come back.

So what's the deal with the race being incredibly easy, then incredibly hard? It's almost like rubberbanding without my car in front, literally 4-seconds a lap faster.

I had no idea, guess I never paid much attention to that part. I normally don't completely leave a challenge, then come back.

So what's the deal with the race being incredibly easy, then incredibly hard? It's almost like rubberbanding without my car in front, literally 4-seconds a lap faster.

I had somewhat similar experience. Yesterday I tried weider HSV, Mazda Furai and finally the TS030 and just could not finish better than 2nd place. This was with the Toyota running lap times of 1:56 - 2:00. Still I lost by 6 seconds.

Today just now I ran an identical race with the Toyota, same lap times, and won by 51 second lead. Didn't observe the AI's pit strategy but I am fairly confident that they ran considerably faster yesterday.

Back