News from Sema

• Thread starter cudadude2
  • 758 comments
Ah. To be honest, I was being a bit lazy before. How's this?
5146948735_362f354ae6_b.jpg

Yule :confused: :lol:

Oh yeah no doubt quite a few cars have them but this particular car is entered in a major car competition. If I was a judge I'd be marking down for including fake and useless parts for the sole purpose of looking cool. Bad design work. Plastic fantastic.

No wonder that red Camaro won.

They're a design element that has been on the Camaro since the '69...

gran-turismo-5-e3-2010-screenshots-.jpg

...the new Camaro Concept car...

2006-Chevrolet-Camaro-Concept-SA-1280x960.jpg

...and the regular road-going SS

2010_camaro_ss_official.jpg

Doesn't change the fact it does absolutely nothing apart from pose but I guess it is tradition.

Of course, I was simply pointing out that it's something on the Camaro that's been on the Camaro, not a single feature specific to the SSX which you seemed to be trying to indicate in a few of your posts.

If everything on cars had to be functional then not many cars would look nice.

Like European exotics?

Of course, I was simply pointing out that it's something on the Camaro that's been on the Camaro, not a single feature specific to the SSX which you seemed to be trying to indicate in a few of your posts.

Yeah but Sema is a custom car show (I think) so trying to win the grand prize with your car and it's fake stock parts is pretty optimistic is all I'm saying. (and maybe that's what the show is all about - rice)

SEMA is more an aftermarket build show. Lots of the cars there look flashy and whatnot but they are all serious builds. Look at the Hennessey Venom GT or the Camaro that won the GT award for example, both are seriously expensive and powerful builds.

If everything on cars had to be functional then not many cars would look nice.

Exactly!

I'd have to compare it to graphics on a car. Why put the stripes and logos on? They don't increase performance, they usually only help make the car visually stimulating and identify it.

Those metal faux vents do everything the racing stripes on the hood do and nobody questions their spot on the car.

I'd like to point out that in most cases though, I AM against fake parts that imply performance. Most of the accessories in the Mustang parts shop anger me for this reason. The Camaro's "side scoops" are really not that offensive when compared to the Mustang's

Oh yeah no doubt quite a few cars have them but this particular car is entered in a major car competition. If I was a judge I'd be marking down for including fake and useless parts for the sole purpose of looking cool. Bad design work. Plastic fantastic.

I'd also like to point out that the GT-Award winning Camaro had them.
930365916_GQ3x2-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly!

I'd have to compare it to graphics on a car. Why put the stripes and logos on? They don't increase performance, they usually only help make the car visually stimulating and identify it.

Those metal faux vents do everything the racing stripes on the hood do and nobody questions their spot on the car.

I'd like to point out that in most cases though, I AM against fake parts that imply performance. Most of the accessories in the Mustang parts shop anger me for this reason. The Camaro's "side scoops" are really not that offensive when compared to the Mustang's

I'd also like to point out that the GT-Award winning Camaro had them.
[IM G]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j114/waterx9/930365916_GQ3x2-XL.jpg[/IMG]

If i could describe the winning car in one word it would be 'minimalist'. It's been de-badged, straightened and streamlined - the opposite to the modern Camaro.

If i could describe the winning car in one word it would be 'minimalist'. It's been de-badged, straightened and streamlined - the opposite to the modern Camaro.

I'm not sure what you're on about. The modern Camaro just looks like a race car version of the Camaro... it has a roll cage, a paint job, a front splitter, skirts and rear wing (not a spoiler). The only non-functional additions compared to the road car is its rims and paint job. It doesn't have additional aesthetic trim or bodywork that I can see.

I'm not sure what you're on about. The modern Camaro just looks like a race car version of the Camaro... it has a roll cage, a paint job, a front splitter, skirts and rear wing (not a spoiler). The only non-functional additions compared to the road car is its rims and paint job. It doesn't have additional aesthetic trim or bodywork that I can see.

Well sema is all about modifications and if that's all that car has done to it (body kit, paint and cage) then it's hardly surprising the older Camaro won then is it

Well sema is all about modifications and if that's all that car has done to it (body kit, paint and cage) then it's hardly surprising the older Camaro won then is it

You make it sound like the winners of each category are picked randomly. The SSX Camaro is a concept by GM on making a turn-key race car available to the public. The entire vehicle is made to be track ready AND the overall aesthetic appeal is well done, regardless of opinion. The Judges of the competition looked at the overall design and performance of the car and selected it as a finalist and winner of best Domestic.

The point is, you seem to be avoiding your own topic. You said that if you were a judge you'd mark down on something like the faux rear scoops, when I pointed out that they were on the GT-Award winning car, you completely change the subject, as if the whole package makes the appearance of the accent scoops irrelevant. Honestly, if SEMA and the GT Award competition were about overall customization, then the Red Camaro wouldn't have won, since it's essentially wheels a paint-job and a de-badge with a hell of a motor underneath.

The Red Camaro won because it was built by the God-father of the niche that the car fits in (that being "Pro-Touring"), the SSX was built by General Motors, a company that already has a line with PD and can put their cars in at anytime. By the way, if you want to slam the cosmetic design of any of the Camaro's, focus your attention on Tommy Z's ride as it's by FAR the worst offender of the three when it comes to the exterior.

hm... am I the only one who thinks that one reason why the Camaro won is that it's easily to implant into the game? I mean, it's already 90% in the game...

hm... am I the only one who thinks that one reason why the Camaro won is that it's easily to implant into the game? I mean, it's already 90% in the game...

hm... I never thought of that. They should have this as DLC when you wake up on Christmas morning if in fact it doesn't come in 2011.

Technically, both modern Camaros, and the Subaru (yet to see the Corolla and how modified it was) were already represented and would be easily added to the game. But think about the first GT Award winner, wasn't it a Buick? The same goes for the Art Morrison Corvette and the Trans-Cammer Mustang, all three were not vehicles that were already primarily in the game, so that isn't a decision making factor for Kaz.

This might be the Corolla we've been talking about. I've only seen this one and one other AE86 in all the pictures so far. The other one wasn't anything special.

IMG_3658.jpg

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3659.jpg

IMG_3660.jpg

I love muscle cars but I would much rather have that Corrola, minus the spoiler. Unless the Corrola has a decent racing modification, which I doubt we will see for the muscle cars sadly.

Mmm, that Corolla reminds me of the GT300-class AE86 in GT2. Way more interesting (to me) than another muscle car + modern engine package.

Seeing as it won't be in GT5 I'm not sure it would make that much of a difference for GT6. They still have plenty of time for that one.

Seeing as it won't be in GT5 I'm not sure it would make that much of a difference for GT6. They still have plenty of time for that one.

I wouldn't be so sure about it not getting into GT5 sooner or later.

Sadly in an interview at SEMA

AutoWeek- So this year's winner is going to be in the next Gran Turismo installment, which I'm presuming will be Gran Turismo 6. It's probably too late for Gran Turismo 5, right?

Kaz- Right.

Sadly in an interview at SEMA

AutoWeek- So this year's winner is going to be in the next Gran Turismo installment, which I'm presuming will be Gran Turismo 6. It's probably too late for Gran Turismo 5, right?

Kaz- Right.

Lol. What? You expected it to make GT5? Maybe later on down the road via DLC.

Did you you read the comment above mine? I posted it to state Kaz has responded that it will be in GT6 and not GT5. I would have posted the same response to your "Maybe later on down the road via DLC" comment. Your statment implies you think it will be in GT5 more than my above post, with your maybe down the road, while I posted

It's probably too late for Gran Turismo 5, right?
Kaz- Right.

Just because I said sadly does not mean I expected it. Just that I would indeed enjoy it.

Back