Next Forza Motorsport Game Revealed, Apparently Isn't Called Forza Motorsport 8

My possible theory is that the new game may have been planned for a cross platform launch with XB1 systems early on (tying into the no XSX-specific exclusives in Year 1), but the XB1 versions weren't up to snuff and were scrapped to divert all resources to purely the XSX.

Interesting detail, the Apollos have IMSA-esque number plates, but some are red like GTLM and others are green like GTD...
Untitled.png

20190913%20-%20IMSA%20-%20Pfaff%20Motorsports%20-%20Laguna%20Seca%20-%20Lenssen%20Photo-9209.jpg

I really like the ray-traced reflections, that definitely seemed like something racing games would benefit with. The Laguna Seca shots showed the game still has that weird Forza TV-Show-like lighting that makes everything look fake, though.

I've tried hard to pinpoint what it is about the FM visuals (FH3 & 4 seem better) that give the whole presentation such an unreal feeling. I don't know what it is. I feel like it has to do with how specular reflections are handled and a general lack of contrast, but I'm not sure that's it. I think ray traced GI would help a lot, but I have a feeling that is less of a crowd pleaser than the RT reflections and potentially more GPU intensive. Maybe one day.

I'm not happy with the art direction. Same over-saturated high contrast image. All details lost in the shadows areas. I don't know why they can't figure out the lighting. Forza Horizon looks more photorealistic being an arcade racer. I hope raytracing will help them to fix it, but the trailer doesn't left a lot of hope.

I've tried hard to pinpoint what it is about the FM visuals (FH3 & 4 seem better) that give the whole presentation such an unreal feeling. I don't know what it is. I feel like it has to do with how specular reflections are handled and a general lack of contrast, but I'm not sure that's it. I think ray traced GI would help a lot, but I have a feeling that is less of a crowd pleaser than the RT reflections and potentially more GPU intensive. Maybe one day.
GI is in if you look closely, look under the bumper you can see the light bounce of the green paint to the ground
50144930196_de264a1ca3_o.png

It's a crushed shadows, high contrast, bloom effect that makes this look pretty but not realistic. Similar to the original GRID game.

I'm not happy with the art direction. Same over-saturated high contrast image. All details lost in the shadows areas. I don't know why they can't figure out the lighting. Forza Horizon looks more photorealistic being an arcade racer. I hope raytracing will help them to fix it, but the trailer doesn't left a lot of hope.
Raytracing only helps shadows, global illumination, and reflections, i mean, everything that bounces. Forza will always have that oversaturated looks regardless of whether if they use raytracing, or not.

I've watched and rewatched the video about four times now, and I can't spot any inter-reflections - reflections of a reflection - that are indicative of real-time ray tracing. Of course it may not be implemented yet, with the game in early development, but if anyone can spot one example that'd be great.

I'm so tired of hearing Turn 10 talk about car lust, turning gamers into car lovers and now... now it's forming friendships and connections. Just make a racing game my god. Make it about the sound, physics and ffb.

As if Polyphony doesn't have a long history of corporate buzz speak that hits across the same lines? Come on.

It's a crushed shadows, high contrast, bloom effect that makes this look pretty but not realistic. Similar to the original GRID game.

Just watched some side by side comparisons. I think you're right about crushed shadows, high contrast, and bloom for the environment, but the cars themselves have further issues.

vsWdIDW.jpg

LVMF8Lq.jpg

See how the specular highlight on the back of the FM7 R35 is pin-prick tiny and the drop off between specular and diffuse is very gradual. Gives the whole car body a kind of plastic feeling. The tail lights do not seem naturally lit at all even though they are in direct sun. On top of that, you also have the very underexposed rear of the FM7 R35 when front-lit. I almost wonder if the "shiny" parts of the car in FM receive a completely separate light source than the rest of the elements in the game. Then look at the specular on the GT-S R35 and you can see that the drop off of the specular highlight is much sharper but also that there is more contrast & depth when it is being directly lit. I think it's fair to say that the rendering engine of FM is kind of outdated, so I sincerely hope that this new game gets a new lighting engine. It looks possible...but the results so far aren't very encouraging.

All I can gather from this teaser is this game is late 2021 at the earliest, most likely 2022.

I was sure that it'd be playable in some form (beta/alpha) this year but T10 are taking there sweet time with it. Which is great.

The teaser itself was definitely lackluster though, all you can show is 3 cars and 1 corner of 1 track?

Oh well. At least we know they're rebooting and giving the game the much needed dev time it should get to really overhaul the franchise.

I've watched and rewatched the video about four times now, and I can't spot any inter-reflections - reflections of a reflection - that are indicative of real-time ray tracing. Of course it may not be implemented yet, with the game in early development, but if anyone can spot one example that'd be great.
Here you can see it reflecting the reflections under the tire behind the bumper wich you can't see but its relfecting correctly.
50144389478_1ef262bb2c_o.png

50145497462_453f6931b9_o.jpg

I second that.

I also very clearly remembering people on this very forum thinking that the FIA partnership would lead to anything other then as a simple rubberstamp for the FIA having their own eSports championship. But then again, that's how it goes on this forum, Polyphony can do no wrong, except when they do, but even then it can be handwaved away.

Here you can see it reflecting the reflections under the tire behind the bumper wich you can't see but its relfecting correctly.
50144389478_1ef262bb2c_o.png

50145497462_453f6931b9_o.jpg

I'm not sure that you aren't just seeing the tire through the bodywork there. The more telling spot would be the chrome exhaust tips...which seem to be reflecting a generic cube map if I were to guess.

The track looks amazing, better than GT7 graphics so far but I can't say this looks photorealistic. Probably something about the art direction.
Pretty hard to tell at this point. It's obviously a pre rendered CG
As if Polyphony doesn't have a long history of corporate buzz speak that hits across the same lines? Come on.
But he didn't even mentioned Polyphony or any other game dev. Not sure why bring that up. :confused:

Not a lot to deduce from this except they seem to be heavily leaning on an actual motorsport-centered gameplay with the pit crew, garage, liveries, etc. Which should make some people happy, since I've seen a good amount of folks on this forum want the series to take the Motorsport nameplate more seriously.

Some interesting tidbits. Based on it being XSX exclusive judging by lack of Xbix One badging then we're gonna be looking late 2021-2022.

There's definitley hints of the rumoured story style gameplay with how the garage is setup with booms and various people walking about, clearly looks like this may be the auto vista hub area.

The cars going through the corkscrew look to have fictional sponsors, could be fictional preset liveries for some sort of story based racing series?

Lack of road cars in the trailer would certainly point to a motorsport focus but jts too early to tell and as Forza has always pride itself on it car collecting I don't think they'd drop road cars completely.

Graphically it's far too early to tell as its pre rendered in engine so it won't be giving a very good idea of how it'll actually look.

In all, disappointed it won't be around for a while, but excited to see that there could be some real innovation for the series.

Pretty hard to tell at this point. It's obviously a pre rendered CG

But he didn't even mentioned Polyphony or any other game dev. Not sure why bring that up. :confused:
I mean the track details. Look at the foliage in this trailer compared to the flat trees in GT7. In terms of lighting, I think Poly is simply one of the best in the industry.

The cars going through the corkscrew look to have fictional sponsors, could be fictional preset liveries for some sort of story based racing series?

This is what I am most interested by. Career mode appears to be based on creating a team and one of those elements could involve creating a livery and enlisting sponsors with objectives to hit over the course of a season.

I'll be interested to see how this is approached - If sponsors are placed in a fixed location, the livery editor may be scaled back to a number of preset designs like it is handled in the GRID series. This may result in a backlash from the design community unless there is a complete livery editor in free play mode.

This is what I am most interested by. Career mode appears to be based on creating a team and one of those elements could involve creating a livery and enlisting sponsors with objectives to hit over the course of a season.

I'll be interested to see how this is approached - If sponsors are placed in a fixed location, the livery editor may be scaled back to a number of preset designs like it is handled in the GRID series. This may result in a backlash from the design community unless there is a complete livery editor in free play mode.

I don't think Turn10 are brave enough to ditch the full livery editor :crazy:.

Not unless they want a bigger backlash than pCARS3 ditching pitstops at least.

But I like that idea of creating a team, what you described sounds like F1 2020 with the sponsors and objectives.

There is the shot of driver passing by In the garage and we can see his real life reflection in the car. I would attach the image but I’ve never learned how to do that outside the flickr. Is there a tutorial somewhere on the forum?

probably limiting it to 1 bounce for reflections to optimize the ray tracing, so there is no reflections of reflections.

Back