NFL General Discussion

Out of all teams, I think the Cleveland Browns had the worst draft possible in terms of paying way too much for what they got. Trading away 4 picks to move up one slot by logic (I don't care if someone else moved up) is borderline moronic.

I still don't get the trade with the Vikes, we weren't even looking for a RB.:lol:

I'm sort of angry with the Cowboys right now. They traded up to #6 to pick Morris Claiborne a CB out of LSU. I know that there was a team need at CB with Newman traded to the Bears, but we have two Safeties that don't know how to do the Cover-2 worth of rubbish and needed to be gone in an instant. They didn't even try to get a round 2 pick out of somebody.

If they didn't jump on Mo with that pick, both Mo and Mark Barron would've been long gone had they traded down. Remember, they traded up to that spot.

Anyway, I'm pretty comfortable with Tannehill. I think he'll do pretty well-- he already knows the offense and every route so he has the added benefit of being able to work with the receivers. Still bummed out about missing a QB for the Defense in Kuechly, but hopefully it's worth it. Hopefully Coyle's new defense will be a little easier to run because Dansby is so stupid that he can't reset the D against teams with smart QBs. They just audible until they force a weakness.
Example: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81b6403b/Rodgers-ties-game-on-4th-down

Last edited:
I understand that, but they could have addressed the Safety problem either during free agency or traded one of their fourth rounders to get into the second round to address that need.

Justin
I still don't get the trade with the Vikes, we weren't even looking for a RB.:lol:

If Cleveland didnt trade up to the #3 spot, then somebody else couldve traded with the Vikings so that they could pick Richardson. Trading up was the only way that the Browns wouldve been guaranteed Richardson.

I haven't evaluated the Texans' draft picks, but I did read a tweet online saying that Case Keenum (QB, Houston) agreed to sign with the Texans. Case Keenum was that bloke who went on a tear passing and scoring touchdowns for the high-powered University of Houston Cougars. Not sure how he'll figure into the Texans' offense (even if as a QB for the Practice team like what we did with former Boise State QB Jared Zabransky). However, I wonder if he'd be a solid extra QB in case we have some repeat of the situation last year when Matt Schaub went down, and we had to rely on Matt Leinart and then eventually T.J. Yates.

But... I just came in to note that Case Keenum has apparently agreed to join the Texans. I still think the Texans need just a few more good wide receivers and maybe some more O-Line help. A good kick returner would help our cause too, especially with the woes of Jacoby Jones especially in that playoff game at the Ravens last season.

Well, former (thank God) ECU quarterback Dominique Davis has signed with the Falcons (may God have mercy on their souls). I hope, for their sake, that he doesn't have to play, lest the field inside the Georgia Dome become littered with the skid marks of myriad incomplete passes and marks from Davis' rear end hitting the ground because he doesn't understand the concept of throwing the ball away. The original sack magnet.

...McNeill needs to pick a new quarterback quick, because I need an avatar that I'm proud of ;).

Gotta say, I think this is Jeff Ireland's best draft. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Beck sucks. But I told him that. Watch Kirk Cousins be the starter.

My reaction to the Dolphins draft:

sn3VU.gif

harold-and-khumar-thumbs-up.gif

Full gif response here: http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2970754&#post2970754 :lol:

Last edited:
I expected that. With RG3 that would make Grosswoman our backup or 3rd string (Have no clue how good or bad Cousins is), so there's no need for Beck.

What's Grossman's contract look like? With Cousins there, he should be the next one out. Kirk Cousins can be a great QB, but he's not the most consistent thrower when it comes to the fade and the back shoulder. He has the intangibles to be the next Jim Kelly though. I think if he can get it together he'll give RG3 a run for his money, and then the Skins will wind up trading him to Kansas City or the Bills or some other team without a QB a few seasons down the road.

Earlier today, I learned Case Keenum signed with the Texans as a free agent. We already have a high-powered offense. Maybe Keenum can prove himself on the NFL level after his days smashing most of his opposition with the U. of Houston Cougars. I'm sure Keenum knows he's not going to smash teams like UH did against teams like Tulane, Memphis, and East Carolina (sorry CAM...). Be interesting to see how he does.

According to the picks the Texans made, it seems like we got a lot of help on the offensive end along with some defensive help. Texans even picked up a kicker. Some fans here in Houston still want Jacoby Jones gone, but he's still with the team.

That's fair :lol:. Our only ESPNU Top 150 recruit is a safety, so hopefully our new QB can do enough work to get a few W's this year.

49ers Draft:
A.J. Jenkins, WR, Illinois
LaMichael James, RB, Oregon
Joe Looney, OG, Wake Forest
Darius Fleming, OLB, Notre Dame
Trent Robinson, FS, Michigan State
Jason Slowey, C, Western Oregon
Cam Johnson, DE, Virginia

Undrafted FA:
*RB DaJuan Cofield, San Jose State
RB Jewel Hampton, Southern Illinois
WR Chris Owusu, Stanford
WR Nathan Palmer, Northern Illinois
WR Brian Tyms, Florida Atlantic
TE Garrett Celek, Michigan State
OL David Gonzales, Washington State
OL Kevin Murphy, Harvard
OL Al Netters, Northwestern
DE Matthew Masifilo, Stanford
DE Kourtnei Brown, Clemson
DE Tony Jerod-Eddie, Texas A&M
DT Patrick Butrym, Wisconsin
OLB Joe Holland, Purdue
CB Anthony Mosley, Kentucky
S Michael Thomas, Stanford
DB/KR Deante' Purvis, UNLV
K Giorgio Tavecchio, Cal

49ers didn't really have a bunch of glaring needs so they drafted the best player available and traded back when they saw it appropriate. In the end, the 49ers are left with 13 picks for 2013.

Last edited:
Okay. I saw a Texans' draft special here on local TV last night. Here are our picks in the 2012 NFL Draft:

1st Round: Whitney Mercilus (OLB, Illinois)
3rd Round-1: DeVier Posey (WR, Ohio State) - from Tampa Bay
3rd Round-2: Brandon Brooks (G, Miami University) - from Philadelphia
4th Round-1: Ben Jones (C, Georgia) - from Tampa Bay through Philadelphia
4th Round-2: Keshawn Martin (WR, Michigan State)
4th Round-3: Jared Crick (DE, Nebraska) - from Tampa Bay through New England and Denver
5th Round: Randy Bullock (K, Texas A&M)
6th Round: Nick Mondek (T, Purdue)

Free Agent: Case Keenum (QB, Houston)

Tell you what- a Linebacker named Merciless... I mean, Mercilus... just sounds like a beast. I hope he can be a beast on defense. Anything to keep the Texans' defense solid is fine with me. I'm not sure if Illinois runs a 3-4 defensive package, but I hope Mercilus can fit right in with the 3-4 alignment for the Texans. Mercilus is really trying to fill in the gap left behind from Mario Williams.

I hear Posey has some personal issues. I hope that he doesn't start being some sort of diva or something. I'm hopeful for this guy. Posey should just have fun and make some noise while not being any sort of toxic teammate. I'll be fine if he plays his position well without being a nuisance. You know, like when Bernard Pollard was on the Texans- just bringing swagger and backing it up.

I already mentioned Case Keenum. Some think he may be that 3rd String QB if he makes the team. He played his college ball here in Houston; and he might be solid playing pro ball here in Houston. So my hopes are high for him.

All I can hope for is for the Texans to build upon last season's successes by having a strong 2012 season. Last season was perhaps the best season for me as a Texans fan. How else can you describe winning a division championship as well as winning your first-ever playoff game? And Omnis, you talk about your Dolphins not being able to beat my Texans? Well, we can't beat the Ravens or the Colts (especially at Indy. We should have won last year's game had it not been for that charity win the sorry ass 2011 Colts got over us in Indy).

Can't wait for the 2012 season. I still think it's sad that only one major game is at home for my Texans- Packers at Texans on Sunday Night Football. I don't know if a double-digit win season will materialize, but I'll be happy even if we do get a 10+ win season out of our schedule.

Redskins draft in a nutshell.

Round 1 pick2 Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
Round 3 pick71 Josh LeRibeus, G, SMU
Round 4 pick102 Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan St.
Round 4 pick119 Keenan Robinson, OLB, Texas
Round 5 pick141 Adam Gettis, G, Iowa
Round 6 pick173 Alfred Morris, RB, FAU
Round 6 pick193 Tom Comptom, OT, South Dakota
Round 7 pick213 Richard Crawford, CB, SMU
Round 7 pick217 Jordan Bernstine, CB, Iowa

RG3 was expected, however Cousins was a surprise. We'll see how this works out.

No one drafted or signed by the 49ers appears to be ready to start so I'm glad they got some talented players who have room to grow. Full offseason of Harbaugh school is underway, I'm interested to see how LaMichael James finds a fit in the system with Gore, Jacobs, and Hunter already on the team. I suppose this is the end of Anthony Dixon's 49ers career.

The NFL has lost another really good defensive player. May he rest in peace, and his friends and family get through this alright.

Junior Seau was a hell of a player. This is really terrible of his passing. My condolences go out to all whom have known and loved him.

Terrell Suggs got injured playing basketball and is out for the 2012 season. BIG blow to the Ravens' defense. I still think they'll be solid on D. That is... unless something happens to Ray Lewis or somebody.

It seems like with each passing day the Vikings seem less and less likely to get a stadium deal, which means their moving is becoming more and more of a possibility. It's so bad that nearly every Vikes fan that I've asked has decided, or has thought about what team to cheer for after they are gone, mine is easy(Texans) as I have cheered for them since 2002 when they came into the league(along with the Vikings of course).

I really hope it doesn't come to that though.:nervous:

Back