NFS Shift 2 Unleashed - Details

• Thread starter LittleLefty
  • 2,278 comments
Despite all of Shift's shortcomings, I spent hours and hours playing it. Made some very good friends and had great fun in our online gatherings. What I am trying to say is I ENJOYED it. That is what a game is supposed to achieve in my opinion. It is far from perfect, but then what game is? I am looking forward to Spring next year; I am getting Unleashed for sure

Edit: Here is my wishlist for Shift Unleashed

1) improved physics...EA know what is wrong
2) telemetry in the tuning menu (tyre temperatures with dynamic camber fine tuning)
3) ability to slap on wider tyres on the rear
4) the option to select assist settings when hosting online races (dynamic weather would be nice too)
5) more tier's between 14.00 rated cars and unrestricted eg. a 16.00 and 18.00 rated for online
(there are too many cars wasted with ratings in between 14.00 and unrestricted)
6) BMW's and Porche's you can actually drive
7) Time trial leaderboards similar to those in F1 2010

Last edited:
I'm going to wait for a demo or the opportunity to play this before I come to any conclusions, even the FIA GT cars can't stop me from forgetting that horredous mess called SHIFT. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There's alot of trolls, flamers, and haters out there who bash SHIFT. Not me. I like SHIFT, even if the controls took some getting used to. And I'm excited about this new one with Spa at night and Bathurst in it.

There's alot of trolls, flamers, and haters out there who bash SHIFT. Not me. I like SHIFT, even if the controls took some getting used to. And I'm excited about this new one with Spa at night and Bathurst in it.

I'm not a troll or a flamer thank you very much.:rolleyes: I gave that game a chance on more than one occasion and it disappointed me every single time. I won't list the reasons why because this is not the appropriate place.

Okay, maybe not you[since you tried it]. But alot of people who comment on the Youtube vids for the trailers. But, the trailer gives me something that probably not GT5[or not even Forza 3] trailers could give, a view of Spa Francorchamps at night. And I'm not a PC racer, so this is very impressive to me. [I hope they'll release a demo with one of the tracks at night.]

Okay, maybe not you[since you tried it]. But alot of people who comment on the Youtube vids for the trailers.

Reading Youtube comments is never a good idea. :lol:
But, the trailer gives me something that probably not GT5[or not even Forza 3] trailers could give, a view of Spa Francorchamps at night.

👍

I was (secretly) quite excited about that too, i'm hoping this means there will be a Spa 24 hours event.

Okay, maybe not you[since you tried it]. But alot of people who comment on the Youtube vids for the trailers. But, the trailer gives me something that probably not GT5[or not even Forza 3] trailers could give, a view of Spa Francorchamps at night. And I'm not a PC racer, so this is very impressive to me. [I hope they'll release a demo with one of the tracks at night.]
I noticed that & the large grid as well. Seeing as SMS did acquire Blimey!, I wonder if some of the staff transferred over and are looking at implementing some of their GTR2-esque developments.

Same here. I enjoyed it immensely while I played it. I still load it up from time to time for a quick spin. I'm looking forward to NFS2.

This game is looking good so far , the fact that its being made by SMS again and the inclusion of the Bathurst track and other stuff.
Just hope they can make it more like the PC games they have been well known for, and not dumb it down so much like they did on Shift.

I'd buy it too. Shift 1 was one of the most frustrating games I ever played, but the bits that were good were GOOD. I would pay money for a fixed Shift 1, and if they're throwing in extras like Bathurst I'll be quite happy.

I enjoyed Shift and running (trying) the Shift league on here. Met some amazing people and had loads of great close races.
Yes shift had It's flaws but these can be sorted for the next one.
Miss racing with the guys guess we'll meet on GT5 but I know the guys will buy Shift 2 just for the buzz of It.

So just because someone doesn't like the game, they are a troll, flamer or hater?

Okay, I went a bit far on it. But, I do hear alot of comments from too many people who want NFS to remain exclusive to the arcade formula, or overly bash SHIFT to a certain amount. I didn't mean people who have tried it out, I meant the community who bash it despite not trying it, or bashing it for being a semi-sim and not involving police cars. If you've tried it and don't like it, I'm okay with it. But alot of what I said comes from what alot of YT users said on the trailer.

Back on topic, I'd have a hard time debating if in the Spring to get either SHIFT 2 or NASCAR 2011. Then again, there's no Jimmie Johnson in SHIFT 2 and it has Spa at night according to the trailer. But we'll see what happens.

So just because someone doesn't like the game, they are a troll, flamer or hater?

No, but, there are 3 cases that I think keep coming up:

1) Can't deal with NFS games that aren't cops vs whoever. A few negative reviews on launch and many many idiot comments on many a message board dealing purely with peoples inability to comprehend that EA were splitting up the NFS brand between developers.

2) Extremely silly complaints to do with things that are simply in games generally, but become hanging offenses when committed by an NFS game.

3) Even more silly complaints about physics where what quickly becomes obvious is not that the game is doing something wrong, but that the person playing it has simply never played a driving game with a load affected tyre model, or the ability to remove assists.

Remove posts about that, maybe 50% of all posts to do with the game on the internet vanish period.

3) Even more silly complaints about physics where what quickly becomes obvious is not that the game is doing something wrong, but that the person playing it has simply never played a driving game with a load affected tyre model, or the ability to remove assists.
FYI. I have played every NFS game to date except undercover. I have played GT 3 and 4, Forza 1,2,3 GTR, GT Ledgends, Daytona USA, Ford Racing, Corvette Racing, Several Nascar Titles, F1, Toca 2,3 and several others as well.

The handling on the cars in Shift on the PC version is just sad especially considered how many previous versions they have had to learn from. Never in real life have I seen a car that feels anything like those in shift and I have driven a bunch from 50s models all the way up to current models, beaters, muscle cars, sports cars, luxury cars, trucks and so on. I've been driving for over 35 years so I know what a real car feels like and shift is not it.

GTR and GTL (no idea which nascar, f1 etc titles you mean?) are the only ones I see there without steering assists/dynamic lock and both of those use an ancient tyre model (fixed step slip curves), the problems with which have been discussed at length by the developers :)

Again, what do you do when someone who has driven more cars than you, raced competitively more than you, and not only played but has written from scratch more racing games than you disagrees? I have no idea what you think this accomplishes. It's not actually an argument.

I was a bit lukewarm on Shift when I first got it - the physics were indeed way too oversteery to be comfortable with and there was no such thing as understeer (only four wheel drift).

But having revisited the game again, it has become a favourite. And I've worked my way through all four tiers and I'm now trying to earn as many badges as I can, which is great fun.

I haven't played it online much (too many wall surfers and I'm not part of a community), but I have GT for those fixes.

Shift 2 is a definite on my wishlist. Hope to see you guys online!

;)

Now that EA have a NFS title that delivers everything that the bashfest kids and Hot Pursuit fans want, loads of crashes, PIT-ing, powerups, helicopters with bombs, stealth mode, social networking, blah-blah-blah....

Why NOT make Shift Unlimited the sim that everyone WANTS? I thought that, in the Soderland interview, the outrageous statement that EA had watered down the physics to make the game more accessible was truly insane thinking. For one thing, if you HAVE already made a dead on accurate (or at least FAR more accurate than the final release's) handling model, why throw all that work away, when it could have easily been included AS AN OPTION..? And a game without powerups, weapons and the whole car battle ethic, who did they think was going to buy it? Or, at least, buy the NEXT Shift?

They alienated everyone from BOTH camps. Arcade handling, and no blowing **** up! Way to go, EA!

But what does this trailer show us? Yep... crashes! Insanely detailed crashes...:yuck:

It is utterly obvious that EA WANT the basher kids. So what do you do? Yep, spend ALL your time working out highly detailed crash physics, and most likely, ignoring highly detailed HANDLING physics.

I've already noticed a huge drop-off in online participation in Shift. I expect that to accelerate hugely in the next weeks or so, as the bashers move to a game DESIGNED for them (with the same cars, etc.). And they are NOT coming back... EA/SMS need to realize that the potential market for Unleashed is radically different to who they had for Shift. The bashers now have a game EXACTLY what they want. They are not going to go back to a closed circuit track racing game when they have an open world game that REWARDS them for anti-social driving!

Unleashed is going to appeal to a much smaller market than Shift did. And, the truth is, the VAST majority of players that want a track racing game without arcade features like powerups and weapons and bashing as a primary goal want the best handling accuracy at least as an option. It is going to have VERY stiff (probably insurmountable) competition in the PS3 market from GT5... there was no GT competition on the PS3 at ALL when Shift came out.

I'm sorry, but an emphasis on crash physics for a game that, in the real world, crashes put you out of the game permanently, and a probable emphasis on arcade handling is going to appeal to no-one.

If EA want Shift to be the XBox and PC (and even PS3) answer to GT5, they need to spend MOST of their resources on accurate handling (as a top level option) and less of it on crash physics. The whole idea of track racing is NOT to crash!

GTR and GTL (no idea which nascar, f1 etc titles you mean?) are the only ones I see there without steering assists/dynamic lock and both of those use an ancient tyre model (fixed step slip curves), the problems with which have been discussed at length by the developers :)

Again, what do you do when someone who has driven more cars than you, raced competitively more than you, and not only played but has written from scratch more racing games than you disagrees? I have no idea what you think this accomplishes. It's not actually an argument.
Well assuming that you know about realistic feel in a game then I can only conclude that your version of the game must feel much different than the one on my PC as this one is really poor. I like NFS games in general but this one just blows period. As for which titles pretty much everyone that has came out in the last 20 years or so for the PC. I am also a developer not that it means anything. Perhaps the pc version is different than the PS3 version, perhaps there is a patch that I do not have installed or whatever but trust me it handles like crap even worse with a wheel that with the game pad. So far I have tried it with a Logitec gamepad, A DFGT wheel and a 911 Turbo S wheel. I have also tried it with minimal assists and no assists.

I should make it clear that I am not saying:

* that there are no problems in shift (there are a great many bugs - some of which are very low level and fundamentally affect handling, and some things they've done such as disabling damage, default setups, etc, which are just stupid)

* that you can only comment if you have a dev resume (nobody markets a game at an audience of coders & I'm just a lowly modder myself :))

but, by volume (both in terms of being LOUD and lots of it :)) there are many criticisms leveled at the game that simply reflect that it's doing something accurately outside of people's ordinary expectations of how stuff works, from other games.

Here is to hoping that they get it right on the next one. I would love to see a realistic NFS title for a change.

Here's hoping that they get the brains to use the real sponsors for/at the real circuits that they put in the game. You know, the actual sponsors? Hope they look at GT5 for that idea and take some pictures of the circuits. While at it, get some more licenses of series.

Not that many players will buy Shift 2 probably because they stick with GT5, but i will buy shift 2 and add just one more platinum trophy to my collection :) Why not?? :)

I am not sure about Shift 2. The first one was okay but to me a lot of the higher end cars were not fun to drive. I got about half through the game before I sold it. I"m willing to give the Shift 2 a chance though. Hopefully it can be a nice option to GT5.

If they start making it more sim like, i would buy it in a heart beat. They have there other NFS games to take care of everybody else, so make Shift more of a sim racer!!

I don't like the debut trailer.... bland. But I hope they make it as sim-like as possible rather than an action movie.

Blandness is the ingredient to a good sim racer which is why dreariness permeates the world of iRacing and netKar. And don't confuse simulation with stimulation. Just watch the trailer to NFS:HP or even last year's SHIFT trailers. Lots of cars losing control and flying into the screen. Very exciting but as we've found out, not very realistic.

Blandness is the ingredient to a good sim racer which is why dreariness permeates the world of iRacing and netKar. And don't confuse simulation with stimulation. Just watch the trailer to NFS:HP or even last year's SHIFT trailers. Lots of cars losing control and flying into the screen. Very exciting but as we've found out, not very realistic.

But all it showed was the guy in a crash.

My guess would be that they don't really push that angle of it for nKP and iRacing is because, well, crashes look like total arse in those games due to them not having anywhere near the same amount of money. Is there a single sports show that opens without a crash montage? People just generally like crashes, I think you'll find.

I wouldn't read too much more into it than what you see: critical damage conditions, night racing, officially licensed series (which gets them out of 99% of all restrictions on bad things happening to cars), big grids.

Back