NHL: 2014-2015 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 369 comments
I like the Blackhawks at Blues match, and I also am interested in that Wild at Predators game. Should be a pretty good Thursday for hockey.

I'll be checking in on the Wings game with my tablet since I'll be at class for most of the game. My college said that we (people in my major) need electronic devices, but they never said that we couldn't keep track of sports game with them. :lol:

Wild vs Preds just got more interesting as Zach Parise, Nino Niederreiter, Thomas Vanek are all sitting and Devan Dubnyk isn't in goal tonight!

2-2 in Nashville after 2 as the Preds score twice in the 1st. In the second Minnesota gets Jason Zucker for his 20th of the season and a PPG then Marco Scandella scores 31 seconds later on a dirty spin-o-rama!

CCMkX6XWEAAoPF9.jpg:large

Oh yes. :D

It's been brutal but for the 24th straight year we are back!

CCMkX6XWEAAoPF9.jpg:large

Oh yes. :D

It's been brutal but for the 24th straight year we are back!
Isn't it ironic that they did so with a loss? The Wings lost to the Habs in overtime 4-3, but thanks to Boston losing 4-2 in regulation, Detroit is once again playoff bound.

Isn't it ironic that they did so with a loss? The Wings lost to the Habs in overtime 4-3, but thanks to Boston losing 4-2 in regulation, Detroit is once again playoff bound.
Sums up this NHL season really, OT points have really contributed to how well teams have done. Especially the Wings.

4-2 victory for the Minnesota Wild as they rally from 2 down to beat the Nashville Predators. Jason Zucker gets 2, Marco Scandella scores and Jason Pominville gets the GWG. Yahoo! A win on Sat. if the Hawks lose means that the Wild would be 3rd in the division. And Darcy 🤬 Kuemper! What a 🤬 legend. First start since January 6th he stops 32 shots. Mikko Koivu gets his 500th point tonight! What a game!

I'd also just like to point out, the Wild scored 4 times(3+empty net) with our 3 leading scorers out for the night:D Playoffs will be fun!:mischievous:

Last edited:
We may see a preview on Saturday (I'll be shocked if both teams actually have all their weapons playing).

Yeah, Sat. will be an interesting game. I really can't wait for it. How impressed were you with Kuemps though? He had a bit of a rough start but didn't lose his head completely like earlier in the season

Blues take the Central Division... :D Love when we beat the Blackhawks as that is always fun to see! :lol:

Also, going to the Wild at Blues game tomorrow. Should be fun. As always, go Blues! Is there any other Blues fans here?

Blues take the Central Division... :D Love when we beat the Blackhawks as that is always fun to see! :lol:

Also, going to the Wild at Blues game tomorrow. Should be fun. As always, go Blues! Is there any other Blues fans here?
Nah, but I'm a Wild fan. Almost the same right? :crazy::sly:

Last day of the regular season. It's time to either start the play-off beard or start getting your golf bats ready, depending on who your team is. All 30 teams in the NHL are playing tonight. Here's what's on tap:

Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers
NY Rangers @ Washington Capitals
Calgary Flames @ Winnipeg Jets
San Jose Sharks @ Los Angeles Kings
Minnesota Wild @ St. Louis Blues (marquee event: NBC at 2pm State of Hockey Time)
Pittsburgh Penguins @ Buffalo Sabres
Montreal Canadiens @ Toronto Maple Leafs
New Jersey Devils @ Florida Panthers
Columbus Blue Jackets @ NY Islanders
Detroit Red Wings @ Carolina Hurricanes
Boston Bruins @ Tampa Bay Lightning
Nashville Predators @ Dallas Stars
Chicago Blackhawks @ Colorado Avalanche
Anaheim Ducks @ Arizona Coyotes
Edmonton Oilers @ Vancouver Canucks

Good luck to all teams tomorrow, and I never thought I'd say this, but Go Avs! If they win in regulation, and the Wild also wins in regulation, the Wild jump the Blackhawks for 3rd in the division, and will play Nashville rather than the Blues.

Should be an extremely exciting day!

Finally, here are your playoff teams as of right now:

EAST
NY Rangers-111 pts
Montreal Canadiens-108 pts
Tampa Bay Lightning-106 pts
Washington Capitals-101 pts
NY Islanders-100 pts
Ottawa Senators-97 pts (W)
Pittsburgh Penguins-96pts (W)

WEST
Anaheim Ducks-107 pts
St. Louis Blues-107 pts
Nashville Predators-104 pts
Chicago Blackhawks-102 pts
Minnesota Wild-100 pts (W)
Vancouver Canucks-99 pts
Calgary Flames-97 pts
Winnipeg Jets-97 pts (W)

Only teams not locked in are the Eastern Wild Card spots, everyone else can just not shave starting now:lol:

Through two periods, the Blues are currently up 3-1 on the Minnesota Wild in St. Louis. Nobody scored through the first period, and it was the boys in blue who drew first blood followed by another goal before Minnesota answered back. St. Louis knocked down another goal late to make it 3-1. And there's the score after two periods.

A few finals to report...

* Sens at Flyers. The Ottawa Senators downed the Philadelphia Flyers 3-1 in Philly.

* The New York Rangers doubled up the Washington Capitals 4-2 in Washington, D.C.

* Two other games are in the 2nd Intermission... The Calgary Flames are tied 1-1 with the Winnipeg Jets. This game is in Winnipeg. The San Jose Sharks are at the Los Angeles Kings, and they are tied 1-1 in the 2nd Intermission.

That's all. Congratulations to all winners up to and beyond the point of this post.

[UPDATE] OTT at PHI, not OTT at PIT.

Not a great game by the Wild. I guess it just illustrates how important Ryan Suter, Miko Koivu, Jared Spurgeon, and the other players who are out for us are. Duuuuubs was meh this game, before getting pulled for the 3rd and Darcy Kuemper came in. Overall, a solid C for the Wild. Nothing great, but they did score, so not a F. Playoffs should be better

The Red Wings beat the Carolina Hurricanes 2-0 and just secured third in the Atlantic Division of the Eastern Conference. Mrazek just secured another shutout with what should have been an assist on the second goal (as the goalie, which ironically should have never counted in the first place due to an icing that never got called), and the Wings finish the season with 100 points.

Can't believe the Wings made it to triple digits for the season. We've had some collapse but we look on the mend at least. Roll on the Stanley cup! :D

As an off-topic note, Providence College won the National Championship in hockey, defeating Boston University 4-3. Jack Eichel, the 2014-2015 Hobey Baker Award winner, played for the losing Boston U. Terriers. All congratulations to the Providence Friars. Though the Terriers didn't win the National Championship, I'm pretty sure whatever NHL team picks up J. Eichel is going to have one heck of a player on their roster in the NHL. I hope he'll be one of the better players in the league should he join the NHL ranks.

Congratulations to all winners from Saturday's games.

Jamie Benn is pretty much a lock for the Art Ross trophy. He needed two points going into tonight, with his closest competitor, John Tavares, scoring a goal and assist to boot. The end result: One hat trick and one assist to put him at 87 points.

Last edited:
So, there we are. 82 games finished, and there are 16 teams who aren't packing up quite yet. The stage has been set for the biggest and best playoff season so far. The 16 teams still in have made their mark on the season, from dominating the year, to turn-around stories, to those who just barely managed to squeak their way in. Here are your first round match-up:

WESTERN CONFERENCE:
Central Division:
(#1)St. Louis Blues vs (#4)Minnesota Wild
(#2)Nashville Predators vs (#3) Chicago Blackhawks
Pacific Division:
(#1) Anaheim Ducks vs (#4) Winnipeg Jets
(#2) Vancouver Canucks vs (#3) Calgary Flames

EASTERN CONFERENCE:
Atlantic Division:
(#1) Montreal Canadiens vs (#4) Ottawa Senators
(#2) Tampa Bay Lightning vs (#3) Detroit Red Wings
Metropolitan Division:
(#1) New York Rangers vs (#4) Pittsburgh Penguins
(#2) Washington Capitals vs (#3) New York Islanders

Should be an exciting play-offs. Remember, anything can happen!

I'm sure Lord Stanley will be impressed seeing this latest batch of teams contest for the Stanley Cup this season. Some say the Stanley Cup is the most coveted and also most beautiful trophy in all of sports. Got to salute and honor the 16 teams who proven themselves worthy of becoming champions. We will have a new champion since the defending champs- the Los Angeles Kings- were eliminated. With a number of GTP folks I got love for, I hope their team(s) win the title.

I like both Central Division matches. We had a little preview of the Blues/Wild series yesterday on NBC. Basically, that game seemed like a warm-up for both teams. The Predators/Blackhawks series seems like it will be a great one also. It would be huge if Nashville knocked out Chicago. We will be assured a Canadian team in the next round once Vancouver and Calgary are done knocking heads.

There will also be another assured Canada team advancing in the next round once Montreal and Ottawa are done with their series. Whether it will be the Senators or Original Six member Montreal remains to be seen. One GTPlaneteer didn't want the Penguins to advance to the playoffs. But... they're in, and they are going to have some New York Ranger problems. The Stanley Cup runners-up from last year would love nothing more than to return to the Stanley Cup Finals and win it all against the Western Conference champions.

Those are my musings. It should still be a great playoffs with all this talent.

I realistically don't see Detroit going too far. I think they'll only get to the second round at best. The Red Wings have had issues at the net for a solid while now, and teams with goaltending issues never go far in the playoffs.

Panthers resign Jagr for 1 year, awesome to see Jagr still around. He's had a longer NHL career than some of his teammates (Ekblad and I think Huberdeau) have been alive. He's not even an old has been clinging on to glory, he's still a genuinely capable top 6 forward which is crazy.

I would actually be remiss to fail to mention the New York Islanders playing their last-ever regular season home game at Nassau Coliseum before the Islanders will play their future games at Barclays Center, home to the NBA's Brooklyn Nets. The Islanders franchise has been around since 1972.

Today was locker cleanout day for the Buffalo Sabers and Toronto Maple Leafs in more ways than one. They fired head coach Ted Nolan in Buffalo after two consecutive last place finishes. The Maple Leafs fired GM David Nonis and Interim Head Coach Peter Horachek.

So as things stand:

Head Coaching openings:
Buffalo Sabers
Toronto Maple Leafs

GM Openings:
Toronto Maple Leafs

The best record in the league from this past regular season goes to the New York Rangers with a 53-22 record. The worst record in the league from this past season goes to the Buffalo Sabres with a 23-51 record. Second worst, and worst in the Western Conference were the 24-50 Arizona Coyotes.

Our RedDragon posted the playoff fixtures earlier on this page. Do you all have any early favorites to win the Stanley Cup? Or some of you even brave enough to call right now the two teams who'll play for the Stanley Cup? Do any of you have any sleeper picks to possibly win the Stanley Cup? We still got time before the games actually start. So let's chat!

Back