NHL: 2016-2017 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 444 comments
1,000th point though right? Nothing quite like a nice ovi goal.

Language for some silly reason but it's the first vid I found.

At the top of the hour, NBCSN will show the Montreal Canadiens at the Minnesota Wild. So the Wild will return home after their road trip. Minnesota is 2nd in the Central Division of the Western Conference while Montreal leads the Eastern Conference's Atlantic Division. MON at MIN is one of nine games on tonight.

I'm glad the Dallas Stars got Jamie Benn back. Hopefully he can help the Stars climb back in the Western Conference and in the Central Division. Dallas is hosting the Detroit Red Wings tonight. If you're on Yahoo!, that game will be streaming tonight. Dallas is currently 7th in the Central, and Detroit is dead last in the Atlantic (7th).

Last night in Washington, D.C.; the Capitals routed the defending champs 5-2. The Penguins could only do so much last night. Last night's fun for Washington began with Alex Ovechkin knocking down his 1,000th goal of his career. The Great 8 is going to be in somebody's Hall of Fame if he isn't already. I'm not brown nosing; he's the truth and been the truth for just about all of his career.

Go enjoy some hockey tonight.

JUST WRAPPED UP...

Minnesota won convincingly tonight, but it wasn't a shutout. In fact, Minnesota was only 8.8 seconds away as Montreal scored on a Power Play goal. It was still a 7-1 win for the Wild despite the inconsequential late goal. Devan Dubnyk still got the win as goalie of this match.

Other games concluded at the time of this post...

* Philadelphia saw a Shootout to settle the score between Vancouver and Philadelphia. The only team to successfully score a goal was Philadelphia, and so this game ended 5-4 in favor of the Flyers over the Canucks.

* The other Pennsylvania team didn't fare so well, losing 4-1 in Ottawa against the Senators.

* The Buffalo Sabres were doubled up in Tampa Bay 4-2. The Lightning defended home ice well against the boys from western New York state.

Congratulations to all other winners from this Thursday night's games.

I'm gonna count it as a shutout, because there were some crap calls that lead to that power play goal for the Canadiens. Dubnyk got run twice and nothig was called for goalie interference, but the second Chris Stewart hits someone legally it's a Montreal PP...

Dallas switched goalies 4 minutes into tonight's game (The Wild scored 3 goals in that span). :lol:

I saw that Detroit took down the defending champs tonight. The Joe was rocking as Hockeytown saw their Red Wings win 6-3 against Pittsburgh. As of this post, the artists formerly known as the Minnesota Northstars (Dallas Stars) are trailing 4-3 to the visiting Minnesota Wild.

Some more Original Six teams won today so far. NHL Network aired Philadelphia at Boston, and the Boston Bruins won 6-3. The only all Original Six match tonight was the New York Rangers at Montreal Canadiens, and the Habs beat the Rangers 5-4. Canada's other Original Six team won in the battle for Ontario- Toronto Maple Leafs won 4-2 at the Ottawa Senators.

Besides that, it was a 7-4 victory for the Carolina Hurricanes hosting the New York Islanders. Columbus went on a winning streak, now they remember what losing feels like, losing 4-3 at the Florida Panthers. The Nashville Predators weren't intimidated by elevation as they won 3-2 in Denver at the Colorado Avalanche.

Congratulations to all other winners up to and beyond the time of this post. And welcome PinkKitty13 (formerly RedDragon)! :)

That got kind of ugly, but they managed to hold on and win 5-4.

This game highlighted one bad thing about Dubnyk, that being that he needs to rest once in awhile. :lol:

Edit: The Wild are now tied with the Blackhawks on points but have played in fewer games so they are leading the division. They play for the first time this season tomorrow, which seems rather late for a first game against a division rival.

The NYR-MTL game tonight honestly showed the worst NHL officiating I've seen all season, maybe even in the last 10 years. Habs first goal that ended up being disallowed because Shaw fell on Raanta and caused voluntary interference indeed was not a good goal(and rightfully so, Shaw just let himself fall), yet Kevin Hayes dragging Price out of the net with his leg stuck in his pads and Nash ending up with an empty net somehow didn't count as interference and the goal ended up being good... I'm glad the Habs ended up winning because honestly that call was absolute bull:censored:. I've been a Habs fan for as long as I can remember, (sorry) and even I agree with Danault's no goal ruling because Shaw clearly didn't even try to not interfere with Raanta (who misteriously got replaced with Lunqvist for the 2nd period, wonder what that was about) but Hayes clearly never attempted to give Price any space and clearly didn't even try to stop his move. There was a long debate with the refs and the headquarters (tongue in cheek moment here, why the NHL is still based in loserville, err I mean Toronto is beyond me) and yet the ruling on the ice still stood. Garbage goal, the NHL should be ashamed.

On right now is Philadelphia at Washington. It is currently 5-0 in favor of Washington with 8:03 left in the 3rd Period as of this post. Okay. When I was going to post this initially, it was 1-0, WAS at the 2nd Intermission. Four goals since. Man- Washington ballin' right now.

I was watching a bunch of video highlights on YouTube. Initially, I wanted to look up Alex Ovechkin's 1000th point, but I also saw a number of other highlights of recent games. Like I was watching the Minnesota Wild light up the Dallas Stars early. I know Matt Dumba is good with the Wild, but so too is Stall. All credit to the Wild for making sure the Stars didn't come all the way back to beat Minnesota, like that playoff match when the Wild were trailing the Stars before almost making a complete comeback.

Now on to the New York Rangers at the Montreal Canadiens. This Original Six match had some pretty egregious calls, I must admit. I seemed okay with some of the calls made. Pretty wicked goals by the Rangers, but credit the Habs for pulling out the win. I'd be scared to match up against either Montreal or the New York Rangers in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Later tonight, NBCSN will have another "Star Sunday" whereas MIN will have Zach Parise featured (be proud, PinkKitty13!), and Patrick Kane for CHI. The game is the Minnesota Wild at the Chicago Blackhawks.

Enjoy all the other games today and tonight.

All congratulations to the Wild on leading the Central Division and the Western Conference. 3-2 victory for Minnesota in Chicago. I read on Yahoo! Sports that Devan Dubnyk had 33 saves. Duubs will be in the All-Star Game later this month along with some other Wild players.

The Minnesota Wild are doing great, but the hottest team right now is the Washington Capitals. Washington ran over the Philadelphia Flyers at home 5-0 earlier today in a game televised on NBC. Maybe (granted WAS makes the playoffs) they can stage a run to possibly get into the Stanley Cup Finals and perhaps even win it.

Congratulations to all winners from this Sunday's games.

Time to make mention of games that went final.

* Were any of you watching NBCSN earlier tonight? If you love defense, then you hated seeing WAS at PIT. Defense not needed in this one between the Washington Capitals at the Pittsburgh Penguins. 15 goals were scored as the Penguins won 8-7 in Overtime. These guys had no problem scoring goals. Wonder what Silver Arrows thought of this knockdown drag-out brawl...

* Hockeytown had the Red Wings host the Montreal Canadiens in a matchup of two Original Six teams. Unlike the game I just mentioned, only one goal was needed to decide the winner. Detroit won 1-0 against the Habs. So I'm sure our AnthonyD1993, Joey D, and Gr8_Lakes can appreciate the Red Wings winning. Good news for those GTPlaneteers... not so good for our -Fred-.

* So how did Sanji Himura's Dallas Stars do in Buffalo? Not good. The Stars lost 4-1 at the Buffalo Sabres.

* East meets west... and the East won. Like, 2-1 won as the Tampa Bay Lightning dethroned the Los Angeles Kings in their house.

* Boston couldn't find the back of the net as they lost at home 4-0 to the New York Islanders.

* It was 5-2 in the Shark Tank as the San José Sharks grounded the Winnipeg Jets.

Congratulations to the winners from today and tonight, including the eventual winner of Arizona at Edmonton.

The New York Islanders let go of Jack Capuano as coach of the New York Islanders. Despite winning last night 4-0 at Boston, Capuano got canned as coach of NYI. Doug Weight will be the interim head coach of the Isles.

Elsewhere, we got 9 games on tonight. Yahoo! Sports will show the Buffalo Sabres at the Toronto Maple Leafs. NBCSN will have a rather late game (9:00 PM EST) when the Chicago Blackhawks play at the Colorado Avalanche. Our PinkKitty13 and Northstar will see their Minnesota Wild host the New Jersey Devils.

Whatever game(s) you will be checking out, go enjoy some Tuesday night NHL hockey.

Montreal, Winnipeg, Detroit, Edmonton, and Los Angeles. Those are the five cities ready to host tonight's five games. Two of them are part of this week's Wednesday Night Rivalry on NBCSN. This is what your Wednesday night of NHL hockey looks like:

* PIT Penguins at MON Canadiens
* ARI Coyotes at WPG Jets
* BOS Bruins at DET Red Wings (NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry)
* FLA Panthers at EDM Oilers
* SJ Sharks at LA Kings (NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry)

So we're going to have some fun tonight. It's an NHL Original Six battle in Hockeytown, and we have a battle for California as NorCal's San José Sharks meet the Los Angeles Kings, who will be hosting this season's NHL All-Star Game later this month.

Now on to some notes from last night. I also want to take a moment and congratulate Brian Campbell of the Chicago Blackhawks on scoring his 500th point last night in the Blackhawks' 6-4 victory at the Colorado Avalanche. Also last night was a 7-6 offensive slugfest between Dallas at the New York Raangers, and Dallas was on the winning end of the 6-5 score last night. The New Jersey Devils were victorious on the road at the Minnesota Wild last night, winning 4-3.

Enjoy this Wednesday night of NHL action, GTPlaneteers.

[OMISSION] On this day in 1958... Willie O'Ree became the first Black player in the National Hockey League. He played for the Boston Bruins. Blacks in today's NHL include the likes of P.K. Subban, Wayne Simmonds, and Joel Ward among others.

Last edited:
It's not even halfway through the 1st Period, and Boston is already up 3-0. Our AnthonyD1993 said this was going to be a tough season, and so far, he's right. It ain't looking good for Hockeytown right now at The Joe. Ouch. Petr Mrazek now installed as the goalie for DET.

Somehow Detroit is 4 points out of the second wild card spot (as of this post) I have no idea how that is even possible.

I saw that Detroit defeated Boston in a Shootout last night. Every win counts. Every win is relief whether in regulation or Overtime/Shootout. There is still a ways to go.

There are about eight games tonight, and I think Yahoo! Sports will stream the Arizona Coyotes at the Minnesota Wild. The 'Yotes will try to out-wild the Wild tonight. There was one interesting stat I saw yesterday. Five of the six who lead in the Plus/Minus stat play for the Minnesota Wild. The only non-Wild player among the six that lead Plus/Minus is from the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Enjoy tonight's action and this weekend's action.

I hope tomorrow coach BB gives the team absolute hell tomorrow, because tonights game and the game and going back several games, the Wild have been sloppy. They've taken bad penalties, been flat through the neutral zone, not won board battles, been horrendous indefensive coverage, not gotten back up from their goalies. This isn't the style of play that has made Dubnyk the best goalie in the league, and it's not the style if play that has taken the Wild to the top of the Central. They need to get back to basics and they need to do it sooner rather than later.

I almost rather that they had lost tonight on the scoreboard, because it looked damn well like they lost in the ice to me. If Herb Brooks was coaching them, he'd have them out there doing herbies as soon as the final horn sounded

Six of the eight games tonight went final. Here's a little rundown, starting with the Wild.

* Beautiful or ugly, a win is a win. The Arizona Coyotes were defeated by Minnesota 4-3 in St. Paul. The Yahoo! description I saw said "...Wild dodge letdown with 4-3 win over Coyotes."

* The New York Islanders nicely handled the Dallas Stars 3-0 in Brooklyn.

* Islanders won; did the Rangers win too? Yep. Original Six hockey in Toronto saw the Rangers win 5-2 at the Toronto Maple Leafs.

* St. Louis may no longer have an NFL team, but Washington put a touchdown (and extra point) over the St. Louis Blues, who could only manage a field goal. All... so to speak. The Washington Capitals won 7-3 in St. Louis Blues. You like that? YOU LIKE THAT!

* The Calgary Flames are hot, but they got iced 4-3 by the visiting Nashville Predators tonight.

* The Ottawa Senators went to the Buckeye State and took down their beloved NHL team 2-0. The Columbus Blue Jackets could do little to suppress the Sens' offense on this night.

Congratulations to all winners from tonight, including the eventual winners of Colorado at Anaheim and Tampa Bay at San José.

Next Friday is the start of the NHL All-Star activity in Los Angeles. This is the final weekend of NHL action before the All-Star Break. So go enjoy the action this weekend. On NBCSN on Wednesday, Detroit got some national face time when they took on Boston in Hockeytown. This Sunday on NBC, Detroit's on the tube again on NBC when they host another fellow Original Six team- the New York Rangers.

As for tonight, there are six games on tonight. This Friday night...

* CHI Blackhawks at BOS Bruins (speaking of Original Six hockey...)
* DET Red Wings at BUF Sabres
* PIT Penguins at CAR Hurricanes
* MON Canadiens at NJ Devils
* NSH Predators at EDM Oilers
* FLA Panthers at VAN Canucks

Enjoy some hockey this weekend, folks! Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

Henrik Sedin scored his 1000th NHL point last night, against the man he succeeded as Canucks captain. No way that's even been done before!

Last edited:
So Alex Ovechkin recently knocked down 1,000 points, and now Henrik Sedin hit four figures? My congratulations go out to Sedin on 1,000. Good sportsmanship by Luongo congratulating Sedin after getting scored on. Even anything 500 points or north of 500 goals/points is worthy of love.

Four teams in some other sport will battle to play for the chance to play for that league's championship today. Meanwhile, in another sport...

Next Sunday is the NHL All-Star Game. This Sunday, the NHL action starts with an Original Six match between the New York Rangers at the Detroit Red Wings. This is part of NBC's "Star Sunday." So that means one player from each team will get a little extra attention. For NYR, the featured star is Ryan McDonagh(?), and DET will have Dylan Larkin featured. And there IS a doctor in the house- "Doc" Emrick on the call for NBC for this match. The game is on right now as of this post. Recently started.

Enjoy today's and tonight's action.

My brother in law and nephew went to the Wings game last night. The Wings lost in OT. Come to think of it, Detroit has lost every game they've attended this season so far (they've been to 3 or 4 games I think). :lol:

That Rangers at Red Wings game was scoreless until Overtime, when NYR put on the only score to win 1-0. Tough break of many tough breaks for Detroit.

There's a few more days of regular season action before all of the NHL All-Star action takes place. One has to wonder about things like the Wild Card races, possible trade market stuff, and more. Enjoy tonight's six games. Yahoo! Sports will show the Los Angeles Kings at the New York Rangers tonight.

I'm starting to wonder if the Wild will be able to make a serious playoff run with Kuemper as the #2 goalie. Granted of course Dubnyk will get most of the starts, but if he has a bad game or gets injured the Wild will be in trouble. :nervous:

Latest Posts

Back