NHL: 2016-2017 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 444 comments
Ummmm so how come this wasn't 5 and a game? Hopefully the NHL suspends him for this though, that was a nasty, nasty slash

Ummmm so how come this wasn't 5 and a game? Hopefully the NHL suspends him for this though, that was a nasty, nasty slash

The DoPS doesn't give a damn. Spin the wheel, see what you get it seems.

That being said, based on a thread from /r/hockey, it seems that other instances like what Nyquist did only netted a 6 game suspension at most, and usually went down the road of 1-2 games suspended.

The DoPS doesn't give a damn. Spin the wheel, see what you get it seems.

That being said, based on a thread from /r/hockey, it seems that other instances like what Nyquist did only netted a 6 game suspension at most, and usually went down the road of 1-2 games suspended.

The thing is though, they need to come down hard on Nyquist. He could have taken Spurgeon's eye out there. I get that there is a certain bit of player self-policing that needs to happen(that's why Chris Stewart and Kurtis Gabriel are in our lineup) but you can't do that to one of the best d-men in the league and get away lightly

To be honest, if there was blood, then it WOULD have been a 5 minute major and a game misconduct. As things stands, however, it looks like it will be a 2-3 game suspension and a fine at most via supplementary discipline.

There was blood. Spurgeon had to leave the bench to get multiple stitches from the team doctors.

Nyquist was also offered an in-person hearing, which gives the opportunity to be suspended for more than 5 games. I think the NHL is gonna make an example of this

PinkKitty13, I just saw the incident on "NHL Now" a few minutes ago. And my goodness- that was brutal. I'm thinking benching Nyquist for multiple games is a suitable punishment. That, and maybe lighten up his bank account with fines. That was an ugly incident.

The Minnesota Wild still held serve at home with a 6-3 win over the visiting Detroit Red Wings.

I was looking on Yahoo! Sports, and according to something Sanji Himura once typed, Lindy Ruff's job was on the line. There was an article saying "End is near for Lindy Ruff with Dallas Stars." So Ruff may get canned in the near future if the Stars don't improve.

Happy Valentine's Day (if you celebrate)! The NHL loves you. They really do. They are going to show their love for you by providing you seven games tonight. Because after all, nothing says "love" like ramming somebody into the glass or giving the occasional hockey fight.

Yahoo! Sports will be showing tonight the Dallas Stars at the Winnipeg Jets. No game on NBCSN tonight, but the NHL Network will be showing the Vancouver Canucks at the Pittsburgh Penguins. NBCSN feels it's more important to show poker than NHL hockey tonight. The Minnesota Wild will be hosting the Anaheim Ducks.

Enjoy some hockey on this Valentine's Day (or "Single Awareness Day") Tuesday!

That's the 2nd time in his career he's taking Therrien's job with the same team... Everyone in Montreal knew it was coming, but Julien was certainly not the guy I was expecting.

You vs. the guy she told you not to worry about
X9ucGv4.jpg

I think most people saw it coming, and if they didn't they're probably lying. What shocks a lot of people is that Bergevin pulled the trigger so damn early. You'd expect him to wait until the end of the season to make his pitch, but then you would have to contend with the Isles, probably Detroit too since Blashill is going the way of the dodo, and the new Vegas team.

Still, it makes me wonder: if and when the Nordiques come back, is Montreal going to drop this asinine rule of having a French Canadian coach only? It seems rather pointless, especially considering it drops the pool of prospective candidates down to about one or two.

BAM!

What's good, GTPlanet? So you want some hockey on this Wednesday night? Guess what- you got it! Four games on tonight. And oh yeah, it's Wednesday Night Rivalry.

* TOR Maple Leafs at COL Blue Jackets
* STL Blues at DET Red Wings (NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry)
* PHI Flyers at CGY Flames
* FLA Panthers at SJ Sharks (NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry)

Now for some other thoughts.

In the Minnesota Wild losing 1-0 last night to Anaheim in St. Paul, Antoine Vermette got ejected for slashing a referee. Not sure what happened, but it's pretty serious business if you attack a referee. It apparently happened how the ref dropped the puck. Physical contact with an official is a 10-game suspension. Heck, I remember seeing an old video where a Brazilian basketball player punched a ref in the head and knocked him unconcious. He was banned for life. This incident here did seem pretty intentional, though it didn't seem like malicious intent.

Sidney Crosby got himself his 999th point as Pittsburgh defeated Vancouver 4-0. So Crosby will probably join the 1K point club like Alex Ovechkin did not too long ago.

Thanks for reading, GTPlaneteers! Enjoy some NHL hockey tonight.

THIS JUST IN...

Six game suspension for Detroit's Nyquist for his high-stick to MIN's J. Spurgeon. This was according to a late-breaking Tweet from Bob McKenzie of TSN.

Thoughts on this news? Closure for the Minnesota Wild?

And yet Antoine Vermette gets an automatic tenner for love tapping an official.

I know the league is trying to send a message after the Wideman incident, but come on.

THIS JUST IN...

Six game suspension for Detroit's Nyquist for his high-stick to MIN's J. Spurgeon. This was according to a late-breaking Tweet from Bob McKenzie of TSN.

I thought it was going to be 2-3 games. I'm glad that someone at Player Safety really got off their butts. Though the severity of the penalty might because Nyquist is a repeat offender under the CBA. The fine is worth $158,333.34.

THIS JUST IN...

Nope. About 4-5 games too short. Irritated that the DoPS didn't take this seriously. He could have ended a top player's career with that 👎

The Vermette one is meh as well. He was shouting at the ref, and touching an official is automatically a suspension. Maybe 10 is a bit harsh, but 6-7 wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility

Tonight seems pretty fun with eight games on tonight. Among two of the games on tonight are the New York Rangers at the New York Islanders and the battle of Minnesota- Dallas Stars (formerly the Minnesota North Stars) at the Minnesota Wild. Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby has a chance to score his 1,000th point of his career when his Pittsburgh Penguins host the Winnipeg Jets.

Yahoo! Sports will be showing the Ottawa Senators at the New Jersey Devils. NBCSN will be showing the Colorado Avalanche at the Buffalo Sabres. So if you're looking for a game tonight, there you go.

Some notes from last night... Hockeytown wasn't so jovial as the Detroit Red Wings lost 2-0 hosting the St. Louis Blues. If you wanted some late night hockey, you got it as the Florida Panthers defeated the San José Sharks 6-5 last night in Overtime. Ageless wonder Jaromir Jagr cashed in his 1,900th point in that game. On top of that, Jagr celebrated his birthday yesterday. Tell you what- that's one heck of a birthday present!

You all go enjoy some NHL hockey this Thursday night, ya?

I'm not one to complain about refs very often, but good lord are the ones calling tonight's Wild game horrible. :yuck:

Anyone wanna start a fund to get the refs some new glasses? They were awful tonight! Let Dallas get away with BS, and miss called penalties.

From last night, I'd like to welcome Sidney Crosby to the 1K+ point club. He had about 1,002 points heading into tonight's game. Crosby becomes the 86th ever player to knock down 1,000 points and is the 12th fastest to reach that milestone. Pittsburgh won 4-3 in Overtime last night against the Winnipeg Jets in Pittsburgh. Crosby even had the game-winner last night in Overtime.

As for tonight, the Penguins weren't so fortunate. They lost 2-1 in Overtime at the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Congratulations to the winners of the other games of tonight's three-game schedule, including Colorado winning in Overtime at the Carolina Hurricanes.

I'm watching NHL Network, which is showing the Washington Capitals at the Detroit Red Wings. It's 11:41 left in the 3rd Period with the Red Wings leading 2-1.

Congratulations to the winners of all games today and tonight up to and beyond the time of this post.

[UPDATE] JUST WRAPPED UP... Detroit and Washington couldn't handle their business in sixty minutes or Overtime, so we got a Shootout in MoTown. Hockeytown and The Joe were happy places for once as the Red Wings won 3-2 in a Shootout.

Last edited:
Let's devote an entire day to hockey. ...or at least that is what the National Hockey League wants to accomplish today. Ladies and gentlemen- it's Hockey Day in America! NBC and NBCSN will spoil us hockey fans with four games across the two channels. These four games are among today's 11 game schedule. So here are the games NBC and NBCSN will show today:

* WAS Capitals at NYR Rangers
* DET Red Wings at PIT Penguins
* CHI Blackhawks at BUF Sabres
* BOS Bruins at SJ Sharks

So of the four games these two networks will show, all four feature at least one Original Six team. Anyhow, enjoy some hockey today and tonight! Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

Coolest story from over the weekend was Dave Strader returning to the Dallas Stars commentary after his battle with cancer. I heard he did the 3rd Period with the Dallas Stars hosting the Tampa Bay Lightning back on Saturday. The Stars defeated the Bolts in Overtime 4-3. After the game, the Stars did a tribute to Dave Strader. Antoine Roussel cashed in a Hat Trick for the Stars. Jamie Benn (who I love) knocked in the Overtime goal for Dallas to win this one. VERY cool story.

The Dallas Stars are currently 23-27-10 with 56 points. They are 6th in the Central Division of the Western Conference. The Stars are on their Bye week and will play again on Friday hosting the Boston Bruins. Meanwhile, Tampa Bay is 26-24-8 with 60 points. Tampa Bay is 6th in the Atlantic division of the Eastern Conference.

How did Hockey Day in America go? Here's how the four games broadcast on NBC and NBCSN went...

* The Washington Capitals didn't have a very nice trip to Madison Square Garden, as the New York Rangers beat the Caps 2-1 at home. So WAS lost at Detroit and at the New York Rangers in recent games.

* The Detroit Red Wings need every win they can get to return to the postseason for the 26th successive season. And yesterday, the boys from Hockeytown took down the Pittsburgh Penguins 5-2 in Pittsburgh.

* It wasn't even close in western New York state at the Buffalo Sabres got smashed 5-1 by the Chicago Blackhawks.

* Regulation solved nothing between the Boston Bruins and San José Sharks. So bring on Overtime. The Boston boys won 2-1 in Overtime.

So basically, all four of the Original Six teams that played in the NBC and NBCSN televised games won. Congratulations to all the other winners from Sunday's games besides the four I mentioned.

Only two games on tonight: the Florida Panthers at St. Louis Blues and the Anaheim Ducks at the Arizona Coyotes. So go enjoy some NHL hockey tonight.

Here are the current playoff teams:

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE ---
ATLANTIC (TOP 3): Montreal (31-20-8, 70 pts.), OTT (31-20-6, 68 pts.), FLA (28-20-10, 66 pts.)
METROPOLITAN (TOP 3): Washington (39-12-7, 85 pts.), PIT (36-14-8, 80 pts.), COL (37-16-5, 79 pts.)
EAST WILD CARD: New York Rangers (38-19-1, 77 pts.) and Boston (30-23-6, 66 pts.)

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE ---
CENTRAL (TOP 3): Minnesota (39-13-6, 84 pts.), CHI (36-18-5, 77 pts.), STL (31-24-5, 67 pts.)
PACIFIC (TOP 3): San José (35-18-7, 77 pts.), EDM (32-19-8, 72 pts.), ANA (31-20-10, 72 pts.)
WEST WILD CARD: Nashville (28-22-8, 64 pts.) and CGY (29-26-4, 62 pts.)

That is, if the playoffs began today. There is still at least a month or so until this regular season finally concludes. I heard the Minnesota Wild are about a point or so away from possibly leading for the Presidents' Trophy.

The Florida Panthers swept their five-game road trip out west. A stat shown on "NHL Now" is that the Panthers trailed only 93 seconds in those five road games. Impressive. I don't care what team you are- you sweep a five-game road trip against some solid competition, you're doing great.

It is also pretty surprising that the New York Rangers have only one Overtime Loss this season. So these guys handle their business if taken into Overtime.

Tonight's schedule has nine games for you on this Tuesday. Looking for games tonight? Yahoo! Sports will show the Pittsburgh Penguins at the Carolina Hurricanes. NBCSN will show the Chicago Blackhawks at the Minnesota Wild.

Thanks for reading, everyone! Enjoy some hockey tonight, and good luck to all of your favorite teams.

All your hockey are belong to us! When these three games conclude for this Wednesday Night Rivalry, a winner is who? The final Wednesday of February 2017 looks like this:

* EDM Oilers at FLA Panthers
* WAS Capitals at PHI Flyers (NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry)
* BOS Bruins at ANA Ducks

That's tonight of hockey. Go enjoy this one, ya?

Go enjoy some hockey tonight, however you do so.

Back