NHL: 2016-2017 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 444 comments
I'm starting to wonder if the Wild will be able to make a serious playoff run with Kuemper as the #2 goalie. Granted of course Dubnyk will get most of the starts, but if he has a bad game or gets injured the Wild will be in trouble. :nervous:

Stalock is in the AHL, and beyond that I dunno. Try to get something done for Fluery or Bishop lol

Ah refs... nice job screwing us again. Somehow the refs ignored some Dallas player interfering rather blatantly with Jason Zucker, but gave Jared Spurgeon a penalty for nothing that was obvious.

Has to happen at least once a game... the bs penalties do

And then there is nothing called when Benn (I don't know which one of the thugs it was) puts Granlund in an armlock and just holds him for a good 45 seconds

Last edited:
Tonight is the final Wednesday Night Rivalry before the All-Star Game festivities take form. So before the All-Stars get their shine on, let's take a look at what this final Wednesday of January 2017 looks like. Here you go:

* TOR Maple Leafs at DET Red Wings (streaming on Yahoo! Sports)
* PHI Flyers at NYR Rangers (NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry)
* VAN Canucks at COL Avalanche
* EDM Oilers at ANA Ducks

So if you're looking for some games tonight, those are the four games slated for tonight. Nothing like an Original Six rivalry like Detroit and Toronto. Go enjoy some NHL hockey.

Boston's Brad Marchand got docked $10K USD for his dangerous trip of Detroit's Niklas Kronwall.

We got 13 games tonight! So no excuse not to find a game unless you can't find one on TV or can follow online. Tonight is the final night of action before the All-Star festivities begin starting tomorrow. Yahoo! Sports will stream the Sunshine State Showdown as the Tampa Bay Lightning is at the Florida Panthers. NBCSN will be showing the St. Louis Blues at the Minnesota Wild.

Enjoy tonight's action! Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

No games are on tonight. It's the NHL All-Star Break. This post is a standings update. When the regular season resumes, this is where everyone stands at present. Find your favorite team(s) in this Standings Update:

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE ---
ATLANTIC: Montreal (29-14-7, 65 pts.), OTT (26-15-6, 58 pts.), BOS (25-21-6, 56 pts.), TOR (23-15-9, 55 pts.), FLA (21-19-10, 52 pts.), TB (22-22-6, 50 pts.), BUF (20-19-9, 49 pts.), DET (20-20-9, 49 pts.)
METROPOLITAN: Washington (33-10-6, 72. pts), COL (32-12-4, 68 pts.), PIT (30-13-5, 65 pts.), NYR (31-17-1, 63 pts.), PHI (25-19-6, 56 pts.), NYI (21-17-9, 51 pts.), CAR (21-20-7, 49 pts.), NJ (20-21-9, 49 pts.)

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE ---
CENTRAL: Minnesota (32-11-5, 69 pts.), CHI (30-16-5, 65 pts.), NSH (24-17-8, 56 pts.), STL (24-20-5, 53 pts.), DAL (20-20-10, 50 pts.), WPG (23-25-4, 50 pts.), COL (13-31-2, 28 pts.)
PACIFIC: San José (31-17-2, 64 pts.), EDM (28-15-8, 64 pts.), ANA (27-15-9, 63 pts.), CGY (25-24-3, 53 pts.), LA (24-21-4, 52 pts.), VAN (23-21-6, 52 pts.), ARI (16-26-6, 38 pts.)

--- CURRENT PLAYOFF TEAMS ---
* = Wild Card

EAST: MON, OTT, BOS, WAS, COL, PIT, NYR*, PHI*
WEST: MIN, CHI, NSH, SJ, EDM, ANA, STL*, CGY*

--- OTHER OBSERVATIONS ---
RECORDS...
...BEST HOME: Pittsburgh (20-3-2)
...BEST AWAY: New York Rangers (17-7-0)
...WORST HOME: Colorado (5-18-1)
...WORST AWAY: Arizona (5-15-4)

CURRENT STREAKS...
...LONGEST WINNING: Philadelphia, Edmonton, and Arizona (3 straight wins each)
...LONGEST LOSING: Colorado (7 straight losses)

That's all. If you want to assess your favorite team(s) or look forward to the All-Star festivities, feel free to comment! Otherwise, enjoy this weekend of All-Star NHL hockey. Correct anything I may have goofed on here also.

Playoffs or bust? Do you see the Stars making it to the postseason, @Sanji Himura?

If you didn't see the NHL All-Star Game stuff, it was the Metropolitan Division winning it all. Wayne Simmonds (PHI) was the All-Star MVP. So every game on out is towards Lord Stanley's Cup. All 30 teams still have a chance to fill up the postseason brackets. Only 16 of the 30 will advance. Will your team(s) make it? Best of luck to all teams moving forward.

Playoffs or bust? Do you see the Stars making it to the postseason, @Sanji Himura?
To be honest, we have a feasible chance of being a wild card team this year. We are three points out of the two wild card spots, and that is mathematically possible to make up the ground. It will depend on where we stand in a month or two in regards to injuries and the like.

Of course, it doesn't help that Jim Nill traded away our veteran defensemen, so there is that to consider.

Back to work! GTPlanet, the rest of the way is all about playing for Lord Stanley's Cup. The NHL All-Star Weekend action in Los Angeles has concluded. All 30 teams still have a shot at making the postseason to play for the Stanley Cup. Nobody has clinched anything. Nobody has been eliminated. So if your team is struggling, there's still postseason hope. To that end, there are a ridiculous 14 games for tonight! Among the 14 games...

* WAS Capitals at NYI Islanders
* NJ Devils at DET Red Wings
* WPG Jets at STL Blues
* TOR Maple Leafs at DAL Stars
* MIN Wild at EDM Oilers
* CHI Blackhawks at SJ Sharks

If you're on Yahoo!, they'll be showing the Toronto Maple Leafs at St. Louis Blues game.

Go enjoy some hockey tonight. Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

[UPDATE] I meant Toronto MAPLE LEAFS! I don't know why I was thinking baseball!

Last edited:
If you're on Yahoo!, they'll be showing the Toronto Blue Jays at St. Louis Blues game.
Completely irrelevant baseball team taking on a completely irrelevant hockey team... :P

EDIT: Ken Hitchcock is now relieved of his duties over at St. Louis, Mike Yeo is now his replacement. I would like to stress that even though he isn't Head Coach of the team anymore, he is still on the Blues' payroll as would any of the former coaches fired in the NHL, so any team that is interested in his services would have to have the Blues' permission to interview him.

Also relieved of duties is the Blues' goaltender coach Jim Corsi. Assistant GM Martin Brodeur and Goalie Development Coach Ty Conklin will share those duties.

Source: NHL.com

Last edited:
I don't know why I was thinking baseball in my last post- mentioning the Blue Jays rather than the Maple Leafs. Anyhow, this is the first Wednesday Night Rivalry after the NHL All-Star Weekend. So let's get a couple of haters together and put them on the ice. This is what your Wednesday, February 1, 2017 looks like:

* BOS Bruins at WAS Capitals (NBCSN Wednesday Night Rivalry)
* MIN Wild at CGY Flames
* COL Avalanche at LA Kings

Now for a few results from last night...

* If "Playoffs or Bust" is Dallas' mantra, then the Dallas Stars did real good last night doubling up Toronto 6-3 in Dallas. That was the Maple Leafs, not the Blue Jays, mind you. Put some skates on the Texas Rangers, and they could probably even beat the Maple Leafs.

* It was 6-5 in Sunrise, FL as Omnis' Florida Panthers took down the boys from Canada's capital city- the Ottawa Senators.

* The final score in Montreal, Quebec, Canada was 5-2 as the Canadiens defeated the Buffalo Sabres. The Habs are doing pretty well so far.

* 5-2 was also the final in Edmonton as the Minnesota Wild went into Edmonton and won big. I'm sure last night's game was a great win for Northstar and especially birthday girl PinkKitty13.

* Hockeytown is depressed again as the Red Wings lost another one. This time, The Joe saw the New Jersey Devils take down Detroit 4-3. Detroit may have to put together some trades to maybe improve their lineup to make it 26 straight postseason appearances. Or maybe better luck...

* Detroit has their woes, but at least they aren't the Colorado Avalanche, who failed 5-1 at the Anaheim Ducks.

* It was also 5-1 in Raleigh, North Carolina as the Carolina Hurricanes blew away the Philadelphia Flyers.

* So how did the Keystone State's other team do? Well, they did good- 4-2 win at home over the Nashville Predators.

* In the fine city of St. Louis, the Winnipeg Jets were served some Midwestern hospitality... and ended up serving a 5-3 beating of the St. Louis Blues in return.

Congratulations to the winners from yesterday's games as well as tonight's games.

@kolio get ready for your team to be forced into a defensive style, even players who are known for their skating and puck handling ability, will be forced to adopt a defense first mind set, above all else. Veterans will get 10 million chances even when they aren't producing, while younger players will be in the dog house for 1 mistake. Oh, and grit will be valued above skill, so you'll end up having Reaves on your top line for the gritz factor.

Enjoy Mike Yeo :)

@kolio get ready for your team to be forced into a defensive style, even players who are known for their skating and puck handling ability, will be forced to adopt a defense first mind set, above all else. Veterans will get 10 million chances even when they aren't producing, while younger players will be in the dog house for 1 mistake. Oh, and grit will be valued above skill, so you'll end up having Reaves on your top line for the gritz factor.

Enjoy Mike Yeo :)
🤬. 🤬. And 🤬.

I saw the news about 8:30 this morning right before class and was freaking out. Lol

Honestly, Hitch has not been doing something right the past 2 months. But damn. From hearing all the complaints about him from Wild fans, I am scared as hell to see what happens. Personally, I think the team will spark for a couple games due to the shock factor (pun was definitely not intended :lol:)

This is literally such a big deal. I had class at 10:00 we were released within a half hour because our teacher works at a sports radio station and wanted to get to work early due to how hectic it is going to be today. They were scheduled as mostly football talk, but with the breaking news that will change a lot. :lol:

But in my next class we talked about it for like 20 at the start of class.

Really a big deal for us St. Louisians, whether you are a hockey fan or not.

🤬. 🤬. And 🤬.

I saw the news about 8:30 this morning right before class and was freaking out. Lol

Honestly, Hitch has not been doing something right the past 2 months. But damn. From hearing all the complaints about him from Wild fans, I am scared as hell to see what happens. Personally, I think the team will spark for a couple games due to the shock factor (pun was definitely not intended :lol:)

This is literally such a big deal. I had class at 10:00 we were released within a half hour because our teacher works at a sports radio station and wanted to get to work early due to how hectic it is going to be today. They were scheduled as mostly football talk, but with the breaking news that will change a lot. :lol:

But in my next class we talked about it for like 20 at the start of class.

Really a big deal for us St. Louisians, whether you are a hockey fan or not.
Oh, and every January, regular as clockwork, the Blues are gonna have a slump. Count on losing up to 12 points, depending on how long the slump is

If players are going to be traded, the trade deadline is March 1. One has to wonder what teams will be buyers and sellers. Good players on bad teams could be shipped off to better teams. Some good players on already good teams could go to average or bad teams. You just have to wonder who could go where. Also, you have to consider financial situations. Like, what player(s) could you trade to get some other player while making sure your salary cap doesn't take a serious hit?

This Thursday is an eight-game night of hockey. Yahoo! Sports will show the Toronto Maple Leafs at the St. Louis Blues tonight.

So go enjoy some hockey tonight.

Right, sorry about the double post, but it's Yuuuuuuugggggeeeeee news. The Minnesota Wild have called up Alex Tuch from Iowa of the AHL. The 6ft3, 217 lb Tuch was selected in the 1st round a couple years ago I believe. He plays a mean, hard nosed style of play, but he has soft hands which can score. He is a typical power forward with the skill set of a playmaker/sniper and is one of the top young players in the farm. Charlie Coyle has been reported as moving down to the 4th line alongside Tyler Graovac and Chris Stewart. Meanwhile, Jordan Schroeder has been scratched from the lineup for tonight.

Here is the expected line up for the Wild:

Tuch-Staal-Niederreiter
Granlund-Koivu-Zucker
Parise-Haula-Pomminville
Coyle-Graovac-Stewart

Suter-Spurgeon
Scandella-Dumba
Reilly-Folin

Dubnyk

Scratches:
Prosser
Schroeder
Brodin

@Northstar

11 games on tonight. Here's a rundown of what all happened on games that went final as of the time of this post...

* NBCSN shown the Los Angeles Kings at the Tampa Bay Lightning. If you think it's a long way from Los Angeles to Tampa Bay, it was an even longer night for the Kings, having lost in a 5-0 blanking to Tampa Bay.

* It was also 5-0 in Washington, D.C., as the Washington Capitals blanked the Carolina Hurricanes. Caps ain't never scared of no 'Canes.

* The biggest beat down of the night was in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; as the St. Louis Blues won 6-0 at the Ottawa Senators. Those beautiful blue and gold colors covered Ottawa like a blanket on this night.

* I accidentally typed Columbus Blue Jackets in the score you just read. Well, Columbus took on the Detroit Red Wings tonight in MoTown. The Blue Jackets needed Overtime to defeat Hockeytown's boys 3-2.

* The Minnesota Wild were looking to get their 35th win of the season when they played at the Winnipeg Jets. Mission accomplished! 4-2 was the final as the Wild notch up another win.

* The New York Rangers had no problems with the Anaheim Ducks, winning 4-1 at home.

* One of the other New York state teams did good as well. Buffalo defeated the visiting San José Sharks 5-4.

* The Dallas Stars didn't do too well in Toronto, losing 3-1 to the Maple Leafs.

* Regulation nor Overtime solved anything in Pittsburgh. So Shootout action was needed. Scoring the only Shootout goal was Calgary. The Flames won 3-2 at Pittsburgh.

Congratulations to the eventual winners of Vancouver at Nashville and Montreal at Colorado.

Wednesday Night Rivalry gets wild tonight. We have only one game tonight, and this one is all about the Midwest. Our haters this Wednesday comprise of an Original Six team and one of the youngest franchises. The action takes place tonight in St. Paul, Minnesota, USA. The State of Hockey has this match tonight:

* CHI Blackhawks at MIN Wild

Or for those of you who miss football, I'll say it like this:

Blackhawks at Wild TONIGHT!

Then again, it does seem like a Monday Night Football game when you have only one match going on. Either way, go enjoy some NHL hockey tonight.

As an off-topic note, here is a cool story I picked up on Yahoo! Sports. The NHL is stressing their "Hockey is for Everyone" initiative. One of the most unlikely places you hear of hockey or any famous hockey players is the United Arab Emirates. So imagine how cool it is for a woman from the UAE to get some ice time with an NHL team. Check out this story in case you're interested: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/washington-capitals-host-uae-womens-hockey-star-194924168.html .

This will be a unique post of mine only concerning Canadian teams. So how are the Canadian teams doing of late? Let's find out...

(in order based on points)

! = current playoff team
!! = current division leader

* Montreal!! (31-17-8, 70 pts.)
* Edmonton! (29-18-8, 66 pts.)
* Ottawa! (28-18-6, 62 pts.)
* Toronto! (25-17-11, 61 pts.)
* Calgary (28-25-3, 59 pts.)
* Winnipeg (25-27-4, 54 pts.)
* Vancouver (24-24-6, 54 pts.)

So among the Canadian teams, Montreal is on top of the mountain. Conversely, Vancouver is valley low. Remember that none of these teams made the playoffs last season. Each of the teams mentioned are among the Top 3 in their division. No Wild Card teams. The Metropolitan has no Canadian teams. That is, unless some team forms in (for example) Quebec City and plays in the Metropolitan Division or something.

This Friday night has only two games tonight:

* CHI Blackhawks at WPG Jets
* TB Lightning at MIN Wild

So go enjoy some hockey tonight and this weekend. Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Tigers owner Mike Ilitch died today. Sad day for not only Detroit sports fans but also a sad day for Detroit in general.

My 2 favorite teams are facing off tonight in the Wild and the Bolts. Hopefully it's like a 1-0 Wild win in OT.

And I believe Sunday, the Wild face the Red Wings also on NBC.

2 games in a row on the national stage

My condolences are with the Ilitch family and all whom have known and loved Mike Ilitch.

And yes, it will be an inner-forum rivalry on Sunday with GTPlanet's favorite Red Wing fans against GTPlanet's favorite Wild fans. It's going to be a nice little battle on Sunday.

Patrick Kane tied Sylvain Turgeon in career goals with 269 last night.

22-years ago, a young Buffalo Sabre fan named Patrick Kane appeared on Turgeon's hockey card, looking on with excitement and wonder.

Patrick Kane.jpg

(Patrick Kane on the far right)

This day is going to be sad for either Red Wings fans or Wild fans. One of these Midwestern teams must fall when the two clash later today in St. Paul, Minnesota. The NHL Game of the Week is part of NBC's "Star Sunday." Henrik Zetterberg of Detroit will be the featured star for the Hockeytown boys. For the Minnesota Wild, the featured star will be Devan Dubnyk. So Duubs will get some Star Sunday love today for the Wild.

I want to also give a shout out to Henrik Lundquist of the New York Rangers on winning his 400th game. He's the 12th goalie in NHL history to knock down 400 wins as goalie. I read he's the first European-born goaltender to reach 400 wins. For more on Yahoo! Sports about this accomplishment, take a look at this article: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lundqv...s-rangers-win-streak-hits-024830108--nhl.html

There are six games slated for today besides DET at MIN, so enjoy some hockey today and tonight! Good luck to all of your favorite teams, as always.

It's already been a sad season for Detroit with Mr. I dying and the team being god awful.

That said, I'm not shocked that the Wings suck this year because we've been due a bad season with them lucking into the playoffs for the past several years. It was bound to happen for a while.

Back