NieR: Automata

• Thread starter andrea
  • 50 comments
So, I guess this is a bit old by now, but I only recently came to know about it.

http://kotaku.com/nier-designer-butts-in-regarding-cheeky-controversy-1790967094

Seriously, Yoko (the game director behind NieR) is brilliant. While western developers are soiling their pants at the prospect of possibly offending some PC moron, Yoko just dives right in, not feeling the need to make excuses for the game he made. Absolutely love it.

As for the recently released DLC. I don't know if I can really bring myself to pay that much for it. It's a steep price for very little content, and while I do want to support the developer, the publisher is not exactly inspiring loyalty.

So, I guess this is a bit old by now, but I only recently came to know about it.

http://kotaku.com/nier-designer-butts-in-regarding-cheeky-controversy-1790967094

Seriously, Yoko (the game director behind NieR) is brilliant. While western developers are soiling their pants at the prospect of possibly offending some PC moron, Yoko just dives right in, not feeling the need to make excuses for the game he made. Absolutely love it.

As for the recently released DLC. I don't know if I can really bring myself to pay that much for it. It's a steep price for very little content, and while I do want to support the developer, the publisher is not exactly inspiring loyalty.
We all need to send Yoko a thank you card. :lol: It is great to see somebody being straight up about their intentions and not backing down.

Finished watching a playthrough with all 5 Endings.

I hopped on this playthrough after watching someone do Nier Gestalt/Replicant.

While I did hear about the save data thing about Automata before watching Gestalt, I was impressed by the idea of what I witnessed when it happened in Gestalt.
Watching all your work be erased off your book was painful to watch. All the things you obtained, all the time you spent to get this far. All of it erased. The proposition that you could magically save someone by giving up your existence seems to have arrived at a convenient timing, but it wasn't without a huge price. Having that decision to make questions your own values.

Do I want to do it all for one person? Do I feel like I wasted all my time and effort if everything I've done up until this point will not be remembered by anyone?

Gestalt was bittersweet story.

Automata is just about there too. Similar endings, but...

rather than making the choice to help an NPC, you're given the option to help a real person; another player playing this very game. And at that point it became pretty clear what the moral of Automata's story was.

It wasn't about war. It wasn't about revenge. It was whether you still had the will to persevere and continue to live, give and care for others even when you weren't originally designed or entitled to do so.

The one you cared for is no longer here. Do I give up on life or do I find new meaning?

The task I've been raised to do was all a lie. Was there a point to anything I had done? The ones I've been taught to label as enemies may not have been enemies all this time. What am I fighting them for?

Was the memory erasing part.

Automata deals so much with data backup that it's easy to desensitize yourself the the idea we need not worry about living in the present when memories can simply be saved and uploaded onto another body. But the characters themselves, while knowing this, develop the emotions and ability to begin cherishing these moments.

I'd be rambling at this point.

Last edited:
@AOS-

It helps to see the various side quests you can do in Automata. While they are in essence side quests, so you're not required to do them, they contain enough side stories that actually helped my worldview of the game. Plus told narratives that stand out very well.

@AOS-

It helps to see the various side quests you can do in Automata. While they are in essence side quests, so you're not required to do them, they contain enough side stories that actually helped my worldview of the game. Plus told narratives that stand out very well.

The playthrough I watched didn't cast a single line in the water.

Got any examples off the top of your head?

I suppose I can screenshot the quest overview, but I don't have the game on hand at the moment. Plus I really do think that you miss out half of the impact

Hi everyone, i'm interested in buying this game but i read that there's plenty of technical issues (stuttering, mainly), even after the last patch (1.06 for eu versions, i think). Is there anyone here who can share some thoughts on this? How bad is it? I played the demo (stock PS4, not pro), it's wasn't super smooth but it wasn't a disaster either..however, i've heard that things get worse in bigger areas when the game needs to stream and load assets more frequently. thanks for any answer.

There's some minor FPS dips, but nothing worth being concerned about. Never gets much worse than the demo. The main performance issues are with the janky PC port.

The game runs great on PS4. No idea about how it runs on PC.

It has hands down the finest, most detailed and most fluid combat animations of any game out there.

Bought the game and I'm really enjoying so far. Sure, there's stuttering in most areas, but I can live with it.
By the way, are some side quests supposed to be completed at the end of the game or near it? Because there are some lvl 45-50 (even 60) enemies in some of them, while in the story missions foes are lvl 20 or so.

PS: Still have to catch a fish. The pod can't find one to save its life :lol:

Bought the game and I'm really enjoying so far. Sure, there's stuttering in most areas, but I can live with it.
By the way, are some side quests supposed to be completed at the end of the game or near it? Because there are some lvl 45-50 (even 60) enemies in some of them, while in the story missions foes are lvl 20 or so.

PS: Still have to catch a fish. The pod can't find one to save its life :lol:

I can't say too much without entering into spoiler territory, but some of the side missions should indeed be done later when you're higher level.

I can't say too much without entering into spoiler territory, but some of the side missions should indeed be done later when you're higher level.
Thanks. To be honest, i've only encountered two very high level enemies (one at lvl 60 for the dojo side quest, another at lvl 50 in the forest). Both weren't difficult, just time consuming. So far, I've met
A2 in the Robot Castle
and completed 47% of the side missions. Hopefully I didn't miss any (i usually do everything i can before moving on with the main story).

Edit:

While doing the Emil's quest (find lunar tears) in the Flooded City, I triggered the point of no return and automatically failed two side quests. Did not expect that...

Last edited:
There are five real endings in total, three of which are chosen in the very last moments of the 3rd playthrough. The endings change depending on which character you choose for the final fight, with 9S getting yet another choice of two options.

You can go back and see the other endings via chapter select.

I was about to ask the same thing. Just completed Route C and thought that there was going to be a whole new playthrough after that. I'll use this run to farm some materials and upgrade a few more pods/weapons then I'll check the other two endings via chapter select.

By the way, I honestly didn't understand much about aliens/machines/N2 and Adam/Eve..but the 2B --> 2E twist was brutally amazing

I was about to ask the same thing. Just completed Route C and thought that there was going to be a whole new playthrough after that. I'll use this run to farm some materials and upgrade a few more pods/weapons then I'll check the other two endings via chapter select.

By the way, I honestly didn't understand much about aliens/machines/N2 and Adam/Eve..but the 2B --> 2E twist was brutally amazing

If memory serves, I believe you get a new mail in your inbox when doing a chapter select, which explains the story quite well. It all comes together quite nicely. But it's hard to give advice to people playing the game without risking spoilers. I mean, for all I know, the player might not be aware of how the game is structured. I originally thought the game ended fully after the 9S playthrough, which had left me somewhat disappointed, but then it just went all bonkers with the following chapter. The beginning of route C is just plain phenomenal.

After reaching the last ending, I decided to look for more infos regarding the story and found 5 scripts read at the Nier concerts. Here's the translation for each one of them:
The first one is particularly sad, knowing that 9S already realized the fact that 2B was an executioner model, alerted by Pod 153 every time he tried to access (successfully) top secret informations from the bunker server.

#2 is about extra androids (Zinnia, No. 9 and No. 2), Project YoHRa, machine cores being used to create black boxes and the bunker's backdoor.

#3/#4 about A2, her past, how she discovered Commander's intentions to collect combat data in suicide missions and more interactions between 2B and 9S;

#5 takes place after the Ark leaves Earth; 2B wakes up and tries to awake 9S.....

#4-5 were also recorded and put on YouTube (english subs available)

Last edited:
In case anyone wondered how an already superb soundtrack can become even better, please have a listen to this.

Selected Nier Automata tracks, as well as Nier tracks, have been redone and presented with a full orchestra and choir. Some of them, like City Ruins, Sound of the End and Weight of the World, are breathtakingly beautiful. I wish I could've seen this concert live.

It's on discount at 26$ can. on psn in N.A. I just replayed the demo to help make up my mind and i think ill go for it.
The fluid animations of your character are soo well done and complete. I never see that kind of finesse and detail in games sadly.
And i keep finding new attack moves each i try the demo. Each with superb animation and all silky smooth.
Even found shortcuts to backtrack i hadn't noticed yet.
The only part i find a little tedious is the big saw digger robot battles, maybe i don't know still which moves can be done other than just shooting the blades or scoups until done.
I'm not a fan of the dialogue and acting at all, it's sooooo corny lol.
But the story seems intriguing for someone who likes scifi and some philosophy, humanity in it.

I'm going to check out Platinum Games previous games, especially that bayonetta and vanquish are ported over to ps4 just now.
It's a cheap port it looks like, and as usual they call it remasters...oook.
But will be smooth and clear at least.

I remember liking the demos on x360 of those games, ill have a look see if they are still available to try again.

I hope they are going to do more excellently polished games in the future on ps5. Hopefully not exclusives to switch or any platform.

The ps4 version includes a dlc. Not sure what is in it.
@Jawehawk is that music included in the ps4 version?

Edit: also the particles effects on your attacks are really nicely done.
Edit2: very hard is pretty strict, one hit death from any ennemy, even from those red balls they shoot at you. Hehe ouch.

Last edited:
Back