Nintendo Switch

Looks neat, but not for me. As the teases suggested, this is primarily for kids. A bit pricey though... have fun with that, parents.

I think it’s absolutely fantastic. Can’t wait to sit down with my 10 year old daughter to make these, play and watch her learn. As a parent ‘screen time’ is a real worry. Luckily my daughter is not a slave to a screen but her 3 older cousins all are. You hardly get a word out of them when we go see them, faces buried in an iPad or phone. So I see Labo as a way to involve the screen in a much more creative and interactive process. Nintendo should be applauded for that. Of course it will be met with scorn across the interwebz by all the losers out there. DOA!

This is incredibly cool. Holy crap, I wish I was a kid again. Schools should eat this up, really.

Unsurprising that some types of people are absolutely fuming that it wasn't the next Smash Bros or something. As if Nintendo stated otherwise. I guess they'll be the creepy uncle getting annoyed at Nintendo cardboard boxes when this gets unboxed at kids' birthdays etc. :lol:

This type of innovation is really cool and the day the company stops doing mental stuff like this, is the day they aren't relevant. Not for me but I envy those who will pick it up!

https://amp.theguardian.com/games/2...ls-interactive-toys?__twitter_impression=true

Last edited:
Gimicky. Cool, but gimicky.

Jerome

Gimicky. Cool, but gimicky.

Jerome
Not when you are 10. My daughter got some pretty cool Christmas presents, drone, microscope, iPod Touch, etc. I spent Boxing Day making a hotel with her out of the cardboard Amazon boxes her Christmas presents were delivered in so her Sylvanian Families would have somewhere to stay!

The way it utilizes the IR camera in the right JoyCon is so damn clever. Leave it to Nintendo to look at VR and basically come up with the opposite; inexpensive peripherals that make digital experiences into an open physical activity, instead of expensive peripherals that make physical activity into a secluded digital experience. Regarding the cost, I already see the cries of "$70 cardboard!"...but there's your typical $50-60 worth of software in that.

It's also a far cry from the plastic Wiimote add-ons that really didn't do anything.

It was smart of Nintendo to leave little time between the heads-up and the reveal. Given days, or a couple weeks, gamers would have let their imaginations run wild, magnifying the inevitable cries of disappointment.

This first batch isn't for me, either, but I'm sure the concept could potentially extend to something I'd find appealing.

The way it utilizes the IR camera in the right JoyCon is so damn clever. Leave it to Nintendo to look at VR and basically come up with the opposite; inexpensive peripherals that make digital experiences into an open physical activity, instead of expensive peripherals that make physical activity into a secluded digital experience. Regarding the cost, I already see the cries of "$70 cardboard!"...but there's your typical $50-60 worth of software in that.

It's also a far cry from the plastic Wiimote add-ons that really didn't do anything.

It was smart of Nintendo to leave little time between the heads-up and the reveal. Given days, or a couple weeks, gamers would have let their imaginations run wild, magnifying the inevitable cries of disappointment.

This first batch isn't for me, either, but I'm sure the concept could potentially extend to something I'd find appealing.

Cool stuff indeed, everybody was scratching their heads wondering what the purpose of the IR sensor was for the past year... Nintendo obviously had this in mind from the get-go.

Speaking of the past year, I think it was smart to hold off on unveiling Labo until the Switch had been on the market for almost a year and had established some credibility/respect among core gamers... unveiling it before the Switch's launch or too early in its lifespan might've scared some of those kinds of people off. Hell, the Joy-cons alone were enough to spook a lot of 'em.

That being said, I do feel like the pricetag is a bit steep on these. You're certainly not just getting cardboard, but I'd be hesitant to value the included software in the $50-60 price range. I personally feel like making them $10 cheaper would make them a lot more enticing, and a no-brainer if they were $20 cheaper. But Nintendo knows what they're doing, so the MSRP they arrived at will probably perform very well regardless.

Good news for those worried about durability.

Note that the kits will not be mandatory - although the cartridge is needed - since Nintendo plans to offer the cardboard design pattern for free for aspiring builders

I did wonder at first after watching the reveal, seeing as some of the kits (like the backpack/exoskeleton) probably wouldn't look like they'd last long given the time and effort.

Leave it to Nintendo to look at VR and basically come up with the opposite; inexpensive peripherals that make digital experiences into an open physical activity, instead of expensive peripherals that make physical activity into a secluded digital experience. Regarding the cost, I already see the cries of "$70 cardboard!"...but there's your typical $50-60 worth of software in that.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. 👍

Isn't it better that Labo is recyclable, repairable, and easily replacable, instead of leaving you with more specialized plastic peripherals to take up space in the closet or basement? I thought people had enough of that already after the Guitar Hero/Rock Band crash.

...I do feel like the pricetag is a bit steep on these. You're certainly not just getting cardboard, but I'd be hesitant to value the included software in the $50-60 price range. I personally feel like making them $10 cheaper would make them a lot more enticing, and a no-brainer if they were $20 cheaper. But Nintendo knows what they're doing, so the MSRP they arrived at will probably perform very well regardless.
My number did take for granted the "Nintendo premium" applied to what should otherwise probably be $40 games.

Oxenfree has a massive 75% discount on the eStore right now. I'm sorta tempted as I usually love these small story driven Indies quite often.

Though, I've still to pick up Super Meatboy too...

Yeah I picked up Oxenfree, good deal

Also, this would totally get me to spend $150+ on cardboard & cardboard accessories:

Last edited:
Nintendo Labo is a nice novelty idea. I would like to see it heavily implemented more with more games to try it out.

Wish I could say more but you guys have already said my thoughts :lol:

Even for those who think Nintendo is s shadow of its former self, you have to admit this is rather creative to go with this Nintendo Labo deal. Nintendo has always been inventive and innovative even with Sony and Microsoft having their way in the console wars. I don't think you can hate this Labo thing unless you just have no imagination.

What the Nintendo Switch REALLY needs is the Zapper, the Power Pad, the Power Glove, R.O.B.,... ;)

So I purchased Celeste over the weekend and finally managed to put down Xenoblade 2 for a bit to get stuck in.

My word, I think this might be a special game. I'm only 3 chapters and a B-side in but it's phenomenal. Highly recommend this to those looking for a fantastic platformer. Be warned though...it can get difficult even from the start.

I finally got a Switch yesterday! I decided to just go with the standard gray one.

The only game I have right now is Pokken Tournament DX, but I plan on getting Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe fairly soon. First impressions, I really appreciate how small the Switch is, especially compared to the Wii U. I'm running out of space for game consoles, so the Switch's compact size ensures that it doesn't get in the way. 👍

I've been having a tough week, and as I sat and apathetically deliberated on what to play (again), on a whim I decided to swap the Switch's HDMI for the Wii U's HDMI and play some Mario Kart 8. And it made my night.

It had been so long that it took a minute to reacquaint myself with the physics, but I came back from two losses (VS Race, Frantic items, 200cc, Hard AI, four random tracks) to win with a smackdown on my Blue Yoshi's home turf of Yoshi Circuit, grinning from the win and from the sweet chain of drifts you need to pull off that track on 200cc. Damn, PCARS2 may have all its simulation cred, but MK8 is still top-tier for the plain quality of racing it offers.

I'm not a fan of weapons in other racing games, but the balance between the items, 200cc, and hard AI in MK8 is just right. I hope MK8DX doesn't preclude a MK9 on Switch.

I've been having a tough week, and as I sat and apathetically deliberated on what to play (again), on a whim I decided to swap the Switch's HDMI for the Wii U's HDMI and play some Mario Kart 8. And it made my night.

It had been so long that it took a minute to reacquaint myself with the physics, but I came back from two losses (VS Race, Frantic items, 200cc, Hard AI, four random tracks) to win with a smackdown on my Blue Yoshi's home turf of Yoshi Circuit, grinning from the win and from the sweet chain of drifts you need to pull off that track on 200cc. Damn, PCARS2 may have all its simulation cred, but MK8 is still top-tier for the plain quality of racing it offers.

I'm not a fan of weapons in other racing games, but the balance between the items, 200cc, and hard AI in MK8 is just right. I hope MK8DX doesn't preclude a MK9 on Switch.
I really think 200cc really adds in player skill into the equation a lot more than what people think it does. I still see people crying over Koopa City, Rainbow Road and Cheese Land being "not-made for 200cc" but they are very much playable, even on Inside Drifting Bikes which is what I main.

I also hope MK8DX doesn't mean no MK9 on the Switch, I was mainly disappointed with MK8DX not having any new tracks so I would even more saddened if we aren't getting any new tracks for an entire console generation. I like a lot of MK8 tracks but I want some new tracks to try.

I really think 200cc really adds in player skill into the equation a lot more than what people think it does. I still see people crying over Koopa City, Rainbow Road and Cheese Land being "not-made for 200cc" but they are very much playable, even on Inside Drifting Bikes which is what I main.
I think 200cc drew a line between players who are just Mario Kart fans and racing game enthusiasts like us. I reckon it would have been just plain too fast for previous MK games, but the physics in MK8 are so tight that it just adds a new dimension with braking and controlling your speed. It's properly "hardcore".

What's also weird is how MK gets all this flak for being a stupid kart racer for casuals, but any time I brought the Wii U and MK8 to share, all my friends and extended acquaintances floundered at it even on 50cc. It's literally the only racing game @Mrs Wolfe will play, but she mopped the floor with everyone else, all of them having plenty of experience with other racing games.

Mario Kart is one of those games casuals always threaten to "smash you" at and then they don't even beat the AI. It's a weird situation, the skill online is great and MK8DX makes a great job of opening more challenging options the further you go into online. 200cc in regular matchmaking was worth the price alone for me.

200cc in regular matchmaking was worth the price alone for me.
Huh, I hadn't considered that in deciding whether DX was worth it. :cheers: Still think I'll wait until I can get a used cart for less, though.

IMG_20180214_134207.jpg
After 30 hours, I have finally completed the A-side and B-side levels in Celeste. What an incredible game, not quite Shovel Knight levels of amazingness but right up there at least.

Protip: Hold off on buying any more games until March when the revamped rewards program kicks in. You'll earn 5x more gold coins, which will be useable as currency in the eShop (1 coin = 1 cent), at least for "eligible titles"... for a $60 game, waiting a couple weeks will be the difference between getting $3 worth of coins or just a measly 60 cents worth.

Protip: Hold off on buying any more games until March when the revamped rewards program kicks in. You'll earn 5x more gold coins, which will be useable as currency in the eShop (1 coin = 1 cent), at least for "eligible titles"... for a $60 game, waiting a couple weeks will be the difference between getting $3 worth of coins or just a measly 60 cents worth.
Is this just the eshop or even Physical copies? I don't exactly download $60 games from the eshop.

Well for physical you earn less than digital, but yes you’ll earn 5x what you used to earn for physical. Fortunately with physical releases, you can wait up to a year before choosing to receive your coins from them, so you can still buy and play them in the mean time... For digital, you automatically get your coins when you purchase them, so for those you actually have to wait until March if you want to earn coins at the new rate.

Back