Nintendo Switch

Nintendo did seem keen to point out the fact that the Switch and DS family were to be seen as companion systems rather than one replacing the other.

It's been 3 years now since the current 3DS was launched, so perhaps we're due a new one soon.

Unless Nintendo want to sell a game to the 69 million 3DS owners around the world of course...

I wonder what percentage of those people still play regularity and/or still keep up to date with the latest releases of software for the systems. I was under the impression that the 3DS was loosing steam for the last year or two.

Arguably the last huge release on the 3DS since US/UM was just regular Sun and Moon. I haven't played my 3DS seriously since the release of Super Mystery Dungeon.

I wonder what percentage of those people still play regularity and/or still keep up to date with the latest releases of software for the systems. I was under the impression that the 3DS was loosing steam for the last year or two.

Arguably the last huge release on the 3DS since US/UM was just regular Sun and Moon. I haven't played my 3DS seriously since the release of Super Mystery Dungeon.
The next mainline Pokémon game is coming to Switch. The 3DS titles still perform well, last year's Sun and Moon were the fastest selling Nintendo titles ever in certain regions.
https://www.theverge.com/2016/11/30/13798688/pokemon-sun-moon-nintendo-3ds-sales-record

Personally, I'm sick of missing out on some games here and there on the 3DS, and it's difficult to justify getting one just for a handful of games that would cramp my hands and neck to play, probably not even Samus Returns. I would prefer Nintendo to focus on the Switch. I thought they merged their handheld and console software development together when they did that internal restructuring, anyway.

Speaking of games, do you think a Gamecube Virtual Console will be possible?

Mainly because Mario Party 7 on the Switch would be fantastic, it feels like the 8 player of 2 players sharing the controller was made for the Switch where each player just takes 1 of the joy-con set.

Personally, I'm sick of missing out on some games here and there on the 3DS, and it's difficult to justify getting one just for a handful of games that would cramp my hands and neck to play, probably not even Samus Returns. I would prefer Nintendo to focus on the Switch. I thought they merged their handheld and console software development together when they did that internal restructuring, anyway.
Whether we like it or not, Nintendo were never going to drop 60million of an install base because of the Wii U's failure.

The 3DS still does OK, for now we'll just have to deal with the limited support it's getting before being cut off entirely in 2019 (at an estimation).

Meanwhile I'm over here salty about Atlus neglecting the Switch while continuing to support the Vita.

An enhanced remaster for Catherine was just announced for PS4 and Vita, yet no Switch version. Same goes for Persona 3 Dancing Moon Night and Persona 5 Dancing Star Night announced earlier this year, though those at least have have the excuse of the perceived (though untrue) Sony exclusivity attached to the Persona franchise. The original Catherine was on PS3 and Xbox 360, so it has no excuse or perceived Sony exclusivity to justify it not coming to Switch. It almost feels like Atlus is waiting to see how well Shin Megami Tensei V sells on Switch before deciding to do any other projects for the platform, which is frustrating since SMT V is still a long way off.

New ARMS update brings a new character and stage with a few balance changes. Happy to see a new fighter who changes up the strategy quite a bit. I've only given her a few tries but Coyle seems to be very slow but powerful.

Also, that thumbnail art. :drool:

My fiancée bagged me Super M Odyssey & Skyrim. This should keep me busy between GTS sessions.

I got the Switch version of The Mummy: Demastered. Also on PS4, XBone, and Steam, and currently on sale across all platforms it seems?

For the uninitiated, it's made by WayForward, and if the title throws you off, you might as well pretend it has nothing to do with the movie with Tom Cruise or whatever, like I'm doing. :lol: It's functionally like a Metroid game, and also very much a WayForward game, if you've played any of the Shantae titles.

It's actually pretty hardcore, somewhere between the first Metroid and Super Metroid on that scale, though I have not yet perished to experience the unique hook of the game, which is that your corpse becomes a zombie you have to defeat to reclaim the weapons you were carrying at the time. Your character is a nameless soldier guy, and therefore endlessly replaceable, naturally.

I can't help but feel like it's what Federation Force should have been, if Nintendo wanted to try a Metroid game from the perspective of Federation soldiers. :P It's quite good so far, and I recommend it to Metroid fans here. 👍

So I went ahead to do the Volleyball Minigame in Super Mario Odyssey for 100, was a bit an overachiever and did 204 :P. Yes @Wolfe , I'm back

Tips for it I'd say would be, change the camera angle to a more top down perspective to get a good grip on where the ball is going and also to do Co-op, even by yourself. Cappy gives you much more range of movements in a faster time, which allows getting the ball to be a breeze sometimes. If you do have a friend to play this, 2 people sharing the court is definitely much easier than all the other methods.

Now, I'm trying to glitch my way to beating the 100 jump rope challenge, I have the button mashing skills of a sloth :lol:. However my glitching skills are just as bad :lol:

The Switch has been a hit so far in my house, really enjoying it. Had a go at Pokémon Pokken Tournament with my son on Christmas day, it was fun. Then I started a game of Zelda, doing the 2nd quest to visit the 4 shrines, found two of them so far. Unfortunately shortly after, I got smacked with the stomach flu at 2am yesterday and was unable to continue, was up all night with it. The next day I watched my kids and surprisingly, my wife, play SMB Odyssey (while in a half-coherent haze for much of it) but was somehow alert enough to be completely wowed by the level design, music and art direction, which are all top notch, classic Nintendo quality. Looking forward to continuing my Zelda adventure tonight now that I'm (very slowly) starting to feel better. I'm just completely impressed with the Switch so far and so are my kids, what a great little system!

The Switch has been a hit so far in my house, really enjoying it. Had a go at Pokémon Pokken Tournament with my son on Christmas day, it was fun. Then I started a game of Zelda, doing the 2nd quest to visit the 4 shrines, found two of them so far. Unfortunately shortly after, I got smacked with the stomach flu at 2am yesterday and was unable to continue, was up all night with it. The next day I watched my kids and surprisingly, my wife, play SMB Odyssey (while in a half-coherent haze for much of it) but was somehow alert enough to be completely wowed by the level design, music and art direction, which are all top notch, classic Nintendo quality. Looking forward to continuing my Zelda adventure tonight now that I'm (very slowly) starting to feel better. I'm just completely impressed with the Switch so far and so are my kids, what a great little system!
Hope you feel better soon mate!

I got quite a selection of games for Christmas...

IMG-20171225-WA0011.jpeg

So far I've played LA Noire and Doom. Noire is a great but slow paced detective title. I can see why people would be disappointed if the expected a GTA-esque game, even though it's never pretended to be like that.

Doom is so cool. Everything about it oozes quality and I'm thoroughly impressed.

A friend of mine got the Switch for Christmas, as well as Binding of Isaac, Mario Odyssey and other games I have so we can do multiplayer (just like how I got Rocket League for the Switch for similar reasons). He sounds like he enjoys it :)

Although after 5 races, I don't think he's touching Mario Kart ever again :lol:

One thing I've been questioning for awhile is will there be a Mario Kart 9?

I'm not sure if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is just for people who don't have a Wii U to play Mario Kart 8 or it is the Mario Kart for the Switch due to all the changes.

Also, does anyone know anything about Virtual Console releases on the Switch? Still waiting for a Gamecube Virtual Console :D.

One thing I've been questioning for awhile is will there be a Mario Kart 9?

I'm not sure if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is just for people who don't have a Wii U to play Mario Kart 8 or it is the Mario Kart for the Switch due to all the changes.

As the Switch version is basically MK8 1.5, you could argue it's just an update for the original... that just happens to only work on the newest console. :rolleyes:

Imagine how many people around the world are eating the humblest of pie right now. Unreal performance for such an experimental piece of technology.

Let's hope this pushes more 3rd party activity!

DOA!

Finally finished LA Noire today. Great game, flawed but such a cool concept I couldn't care less!

Now I've started Xenoblade 2. Wooooo boy, what a starting 2 and a half hours that was. More action packed that the entirety of some games. :lol:

So there was a new Nintendo Direct which announced a lot of cool things.

• A new Mario Tennis game, this game actually comes with a Story Mode. Mario, Luigi, Wario and Waluigi also dress up in Tennis gear instead of their overalls. Has a lot of promise compared to Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash.
  • Dark Souls Remastered coming to the Switch
  • Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze coming to the Swtich, comes with Funky Kong who appears to be the games easy mode.
  • Donkey Kong coming to Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle.
  • New DLC for Pokken Tournament DX. Aegislash comes in the first pack and Blastoise comes in the second pack. This DLC is solving my issue with the roster (as most are just uninteresting fan service Pokemon) and might get it now.
  • A new competitive mode for Super Mario Odyssey in a free update. There a 2 versions, 1 is where you hide the Balloon for other players to find and the other is where you find them. You get ranked on how well you hide yours and find others.
  • Hyrule Warriors comes to the Switch and combines all the elements from the Wii U and 3DS games as well as BotW costumes.
  • New details on the new Kirby Game
  • There is also more but I couldn't care enough about them to talk to you about :sly:

Ys VIII coming to Switch? Awesome.

The SNK Waifu fighting game looks amusing.

Celeste didn't look great to me at first, but I'm starting to warm up to it. Depending on price, I may pick it up.

Never played The World Ends With You on DS, but it has a rabid cult following and I dig its aesthetic, so a Switch port is cool. (Atlus, take notes... this is how you do it. Porting DS games to 3DS is pointless and stupid.)

The only thing in the Direct Mini I didn't like was that they're charging for the Pokken DX DLC. Silver lining though... I'm now super glad I refrained from double-dipping for the Switch version, I'd be royally pissed if I dropped $120 on Pokken and they had the nerve to ask for more.

The World Ends With You is the big hitter for me here. Kirby too, of course.

Great start to the year, ports for the first half and then some amazing stuff in the second half. :D

Decided to finally give Dragon Quest Builders a fair shake with the recently released Switch demo...

I'm sold.

I'll need to give it a go.

It looks like I'm gonna get hands-on with that SNK game too, my girlfriend is heavily interested in it. Love a good fighting game, so I'm intrigued to see how it plays since it looks like a 'beginners' title.

Hopefully we get KoF at some point on Switch too.

Dragon Quest Builders feels more at home on this platform compared to when I tried the PS4 demo, but I reckon I'll hold out for DQB2 if anything. If there's any possibility of them working out splitscreen multiplayer, that would be the one to get. DQB2 also promises other worthwhile improvements and even appears to draw from the ill-fated Cube World, so I'm quite interested to see what all DQB2 could entail in terms of traversing the world, combat, and mounts.

Boy, would it be neat to finally have a voxel-based mining/crafting/etc. game that strives to realize the potential of the concept and actually gets finished. :P

Back