Nintendo Switch

My sister just got herself a brand new Switch yesterday.. It's just only this time I was able to know that each game may cost more than $40.

I’ve been playing a bit of V Rally 4 on Switch and I’m a tad conflicted. There’s a decent rally experience here but generally speaking the visual fidelity and presentation really bring it down a notch. I don’t care for prettiness but the main issue is in terms of visibility as the LOD and draw distance leaves something to be desired. In the blistering heat of Kenya - this is fine, but trying to navigate Japanese villages in the rainy night is near impossible.

I hope I didn't turn anyone off from Rain World with my last post pointing out its difficulty. At that time, I had recently finished the story on the normal ("Survivor") difficulty setting, and I thought it'd be fun to explore more of the world and simply enjoy the game on the easy ("Monk") difficulty.

Turns out that with the experience I gained, Monk is too easy. Sure, I was still dying, but it was easy enough that it threw off the balance of risk and survival that is part of what makes it such a compelling game. I also learned that The Monk doesn't get to collect certain optional items that you can (spoilers). ;) So I started again as The Survivor and have been having a blast filling out more of the map (which is shared between the characters/difficulties on your save file) and collecting those items.

The randomized distribution and AI-driven behavior of predators makes for unique experiences all the time (and is the main source of "unfairness"). Travelling a long distance from one place to another never goes the same way twice. It's a brilliantly crafted game and my GOTY for 2018, no question about it. :)

@Brend -- I'm torn on V-Rally 4 because the handling doesn't look like it will appeal to me very much and Subaru is missing...but rally is my favorite motorsport, the stages look interesting enough, I would like to support a decent retail racing game on the Switch, and a portable racing game with the E30 is tempting. For the occasional times I bring a console somewhere, I don't feel like packing up the PS4 anymore when I can pack the Switch so easily.

So after 2 hours in World of light... I finally have somewhat figured out the mechanics of the game and I now understand the appeal of these games. Even my kids (4 and 6) are enjoying it more then I expected. I unnlocked about 10 extra characters and counting. I throughly recommend this game and enjoying it more then Mario Party and Mario Kart with family/friends.

I hope I didn't turn anyone off from Rain World with my last post pointing out its difficulty. At that time, I had recently finished the story on the normal ("Survivor") difficulty setting, and I thought it'd be fun to explore more of the world and simply enjoy the game on the easy ("Monk") difficulty.

Turns out that with the experience I gained, Monk is too easy. Sure, I was still dying, but it was easy enough that it threw off the balance of risk and survival that is part of what makes it such a compelling game. I also learned that The Monk doesn't get to collect certain optional items that you can (spoilers). ;) So I started again as The Survivor and have been having a blast filling out more of the map (which is shared between the characters/difficulties on your save file) and collecting those items.

The randomized distribution and AI-driven behavior of predators makes for unique experiences all the time (and is the main source of "unfairness"). Travelling a long distance from one place to another never goes the same way twice. It's a brilliantly crafted game and my GOTY for 2018, no question about it. :)

@Brend -- I'm torn on V-Rally 4 because the handling doesn't look like it will appeal to me very much and Subaru is missing...but rally is my favorite motorsport, the stages look interesting enough, I would like to support a decent retail racing game on the Switch, and a portable racing game with the E30 is tempting. For the occasional times I bring a console somewhere, I don't feel like packing up the PS4 anymore when I can pack the Switch so easily.
V Rally is fun, don’t get me wrong - but even at its best on PS4 it is very much the definition of a 7/10 rally game. Therefore, the Switch version comes in slightly below that. Still though, it’s a million times better than Gearclub. :yuck:

So... there's this rumor about a wholly handheld Switch that will come out later this year and will have a price tag of around $200? It will be made as a replacement to the still going strong 3DS.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/64307/handheld-switch-coming-2019-199-analysts/index.html

You could see this coming as they have been focusing way more on the Switch than anything else, they are going to phase out the DS line and the Switch will become the sole Nintendo console in 'full' and 'half' portable versions.

You could see this coming as they have been focusing way more on the Switch than anything else, they are going to phase out the DS line and the Switch will become the sole Nintendo console in 'full' and 'half' portable versions.
So it's gonna be the best of both worlds, huh? I hope more games will come in the future.

My children (girl/boy, 4 and 6) have been addicted to Smash bros the past few weeks. My children are young, but its really fun to share my hobby with both my children.

I am going to start with either Hollow knight or Celeste soon. Which one is more appealing to "casual" gamers?

edit: nevermind. Since Hollow knight was on sale, I bought both.

Last edited:
I played MegaMan 11 on a Nintendo Switch kiosk at a Target store. But this time, I played a Switch with the two controllers connected to the Switch screen and not a Switch connected to a TV. It does feel a bit huge trying to play the Switch connected to the little Switch screen using the connected Switch controllers. No matter what I say about the Switch, I am still slowly learning to get used to the Switch and its controls.

As for MM11 on the Nintendo Switch... it's pretty cool. It really feels like a true 3D remaster of MegaMan games past. I am very much a MegaMan fan and veteran of the series. So I would definitely play this game on the Switch.

Me, in December: "Man, Rain World is so challenging, people who play it as the Hunter are crazy good. I could never get anywhere on that difficulty level!"

Me, today: "I wonder which route I should take with the Hunter to get to [spoilers]. It would probably be more straightforward to go (such-and-such route)."

I noticed that Rain World is on sale on the eShop currently. $11.99 for it is a steal; it could be a full-priced game. Again, highly recommended! :cheers:

First Grid Autosport screenshots! Looks pretty good visually.

grid2.900x.jpg

grid1.900x.jpg

grid3.900x.jpg

4 quick things...

Those screen shots of Grid Auto Sport that PzR Slim posted look pretty good, not bad for the Switch.

I bought my son Super Smash Brothers last Christmas, he has only played twice because he is still playing the DLC he received (also on Christmas) for Zelda BOTW. Has nearly everything, he is turning into a completist or something. He only has a few of the Master Trials left. But that is a shame about SSB, I played a little of it and it seemed like a fun game. I think I'm going to fire it up for myself tonight because someone has to! Plus I really want to unlock Ken from SF.

Need to find out more about that Pokémon direct, I think he would probably like that game (he turned down the idea of getting the Pokémon let's go because the evolutions weren't in the game).

And the off color.....Ever jump in you car in your night clothes (read, Boxers and T-shirt), in the freezing cold, just so you can drive you kid down the street and capture a Pokémon in Pokémon Go that he is clamoring for? That was me last night, I'm not likely to do that again, he was lucky.

Last edited:
I'm not a Pokémon person, but my son is. Does anyone know what the difference is going to be between the 3 upcoming games?
Only 2 games (unless you are referencing the inevitable 3rd version). Main difference will be what Pokemon are available to be caught in each game.

After being on a business trip for the past week, I ended up picking up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe again and getting around to the 200cc time trials. Man these are fun.

Especially fun is Rainbow Road 8 in 200cc. Absolutely incredible fun, closest thing to WipEout this gen. :lol:

Best time I got is 1:42.6xx - anyone else gave it a shot?

Only 2 games (unless you are referencing the inevitable 3rd version). Main difference will be what Pokemon are available to be caught in each game.

If BW2 and USUM are anything to go by, and throw in ORAS after XY, there will be two more games following the initial releases.

tenor.gif

After putting it off for long enough - I've finally picked up Xenoblade Chronicles 2 again after putting 28 hours in initially and falling away.

Simply blown away by the scale of the game every time I play it and I'm slowly but surely getting decent at the combat. Learning how to effectively change blade and use chain attacks is definitely the biggest challenge I'm encountering. The amount of time to level up seems like an eternity compared to other games, if I had one complaint - it would be that.

After putting it off for long enough - I've finally picked up Xenoblade Chronicles 2 again after putting 28 hours in initially and falling away.

Simply blown away by the scale of the game every time I play it and I'm slowly but surely getting decent at the combat. Learning how to effectively change blade and use chain attacks is definitely the biggest challenge I'm encountering. The amount of time to level up seems like an eternity compared to other games, if I had one complaint - it would be that.
Nice to see someone else enjoying it! If it wasn't obvious enough, it's one of my favorite games of all time and for good reason I'd say. :)

I saw you playing that yesterday, @Brend. :) I've also come back to XC2 in a sense, having found a random small YouTuber I can actually stand to watch who has blind LPs of all four Xenoblade games. It has been fun to watch his reactions. I'm on his Torna: TGC playthrough now; what an incredibly charming game, in spite of its narrowed focus.

I have not started my NG+ playthrough of XC2, since I intend to do that in the months leading up to XC3, but I jumped back into XCX for some flightless skell platforming, starting a new game on my spare Wii U profile.

I'm sure a new game is still at least another 1-2 years out, but I'm crossing my fingers for at least a tease of what's next during the E3 Direct this year.

The amount of time to level up seems like an eternity compared to other games, if I had one complaint - it would be that.
In case you've forgotten, you earn bonus XP from quests that you have to spend with a stay at an inn. 👍

I saw you playing that yesterday, @Brend. :) I've also come back to XC2 in a sense, having found a random small YouTuber I can actually stand to watch who has blind LPs of all four Xenoblade games. It has been fun to watch his reactions. I'm on his Torna: TGC playthrough now; what an incredibly charming game, in spite of its narrowed focus.

I have not started my NG+ playthrough of XC2, since I intend to do that in the months leading up to XC3, but I jumped back into XCX for some flightless skell platforming, starting a new game on my spare Wii U profile.

I'm sure a new game is still at least another 1-2 years out, but I'm crossing my fingers for at least a tease of what's next during the E3 Direct this year.

In case you've forgotten, you earn bonus XP from quests that you have to spend with a stay at an inn. 👍
I DID forget about that!

All I can say is that I am kind of proud seeing that "GRID Autosport" is coming to the Nintendo Switch. I still think the Switch needs a solid realistic racing game, though Nintendo has never really had too many real racing games to fill their portfolio. Maybe I think too much about Nintendo having its own exclusive much like Sony has the Gran Turismo series and Microsoft has (respectively) the Forza Motorsport/Horizon series. Only thing close are the Ubisoft-made GT games on Nintendo.

You know, I am actually a bit curious as to how the Switch will handle (no pun intended) GRID Autosport, or at least how the Switch can be utilized to play such a game like GRID Autosport. I haven't really played around with any other Switch games on any kiosk that I haven't played yet. I did play a demo of "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe" and using the separate controls to operate the kart. I doubt we're going to see any dynamics that will get proper sim racers to weep, but I do want to see what it will be like to try to take on the incredible challenge GRID Autosport has to offer.

I still seem most compelled by the Switch more than I am the PlayStation 4 or the XBOX One series. That is even though both the PS4 and XB1 are incredibly more powerful and more capable consoles than the Switch. It still speaks to me in a certain way that convinces me for the most part.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/05/nintendo_switch_overtakes_ps4s_lifetime_sales_in_japan

Perhaps a reminder of just how much home consoles have fallen out of favour in Japan: the PlayStation 4’s lifetime install base has now been surpassed by the more mobile Nintendo Switch – despite the former launching over three years earlier than the House of Mario’s hot new hardware. Famitsu data pegs the PS4 at 8,077,756 units, while the Switch now sits at 8,125,637. That gap is only going to grow.

Interesting that consoles popularity is shrinking, does that mean that google is headed in right direction with stadia ?

Never tried a switch but its nice to see a old school maker take the lead in japan .

Back