Nissan hints to a new RWD sportscar?

Nissan and Toyota are both making enough money to be comfortable, but not enough to go bonkers like they did in the '80s and '90s.
This is an important thing to remember. The current market is very different from how it was back then, and Japan's economy isn't quite as rosy either. The reason so many spectacular Japanese cars arrived in the late 80s/early 90s is largely thanks to an economic bubble. Manufacturers can't afford to go quite as crazy as they used to.

Not that I'm not hugely disappointed the IDx isn't happening. It's one of my favourite concepts in years. The Freeflow particularly. The Nismo was a little over-cooked but the Freeflow genuinely seemed like it could be a production car.

Must admit, I'm crushed, but then again, the writing was on the wall the moment 86/BRZ sales tanked in the second year.

There's just not enough money in the segment to justify the massive expense of an all-new platform.

The most we can hope for is cut-down platforms of Nissan's current RWD offerings... and none of those are light or small enough for a new "cheap" sports car.

250hp Pulsar NISMO:

2015-Nissan-Pulsar-Nismo.jpg

Which Nissan says they want to set the FWD record at the ring with, and obviously Honda had something to say about that. So my guess is they will up the ante and really try, or they won't say anything and hope people forget. Unfortunately we'll never see this in the states or the Versa NISMO, and as I type the only thing planned for the US market is a Sentra NISMO which will basically get the Juke NISMO driveline.

To be completely honest, don't expect much of anything for a while. Lots of new and/or refreshed stuff hitting the market in the next few years, but nothing ground breaking.

Do you have any idea why we don't get the Pulsar? I mean, that thing would be ideal for me. My cousin has a Kia Rondo and it's probably the most practical car we've ever had. Something else with that shape (Pulsar) would be awesome.

The Sentra is just too bleh.

Must admit, I'm crushed, but then again, the writing was on the wall the moment 86/BRZ sales tanked in the second year.

There's just not enough money in the segment to justify the massive expense of an all-new platform.

The most we can hope for is cut-down platforms of Nissan's current RWD offerings... and none of those are light or small enough for a new "cheap" sports car.
Well we're due for a new Z, I don't understand why they don't just design the new platform to work with it and a smaller RWD sporty car.
Do you have any idea why we don't get the Pulsar?
Because Versa Note? No idea.

Yes but the Versa Note totally sucks! The Versa sedan is awesome, and big enough. No idea why we don't just replace the Note with the Pulsar. It's a little bigger, no?

Well we're due for a new Z, I don't understand why they don't just design the new platform to work with it and a smaller RWD sporty car.

There would be compromises.

I recall when Nissan launched the "Urge" concept, the "target weight" was 1,100 kilograms. "Target" in this case was a fancy way of saying: "we're not there yet, but we're sure that by making a production car with almost no outer panels and lots of styrofoam/composite panels, we can get the 350Z platform down to that."

-

It's definitely possible to build a four-cylinder 2+2 based on the Z platform... but it'll either cost a lot to adapt it, or you'll be left with something rather heavier and slower than an 86 (until you turbocharge it).

-

It's something Nissan should look into, however... even if they don't go as far downsize as the 86 or MX-5, a new "Silvia" based on the same platform will help with the economies of scale needed to keep the Z car afloat.

Yes but the Versa Note totally sucks! The Versa sedan is awesome, and big enough. No idea why we don't just replace the Note with the Pulsar. It's a little bigger, no?
I think the Note is actually smaller than the Sedan. You are definitely on the opposite of most opinions, the sedan is quite goofy looking and Nissan knows that's one of the main complaints about it. The next one will, based on the very early sketch I saw, look much better.

I would say the Pulsar is around Sentra size, but obviously hatchback.
It's something Nissan should look into, however... even if they don't go as far downsize as the 86 or MX-5, a new "Silvia" based on the same platform will help with the economies of scale needed to keep the Z car afloat.
Well it's already been said that they want to do multiple engines for the next Z, so I fully expect an entry level 4 cylinder turbo model.

No, I meant the Pulsar is bigger than the Note. I already know the sedan is much bigger. That's what's awesome about it. It's like a microlimo. The sedan isn't goofy-looking at all. It's functional. Cheap, first-car cars are not supposed to look good. They're supposed to give you the best bang for your buck while being highly reliable, easy to work on, and highly practical/functional inside.

I'm the opposite of most opinions because I'm right. If everyone thought the right way like I do, we wouldn't have so many problems in the world.

No, I meant the Pulsar is bigger than the Note. I already know the sedan is much bigger. That's what's awesome about it. It's like a microlimo. The sedan isn't goofy-looking at all. It's functional. Cheap, first-car cars are not supposed to look good. They're supposed to give you the best bang for your buck while being highly reliable, easy to work on, and highly practical/functional inside.
As I said the Pulsar is Sentra sized, which is larger than the Versa. Think VW Golf size.
I'm the opposite of most opinions because I'm right. If everyone thought the right way like I do, we wouldn't have so many problems in the world.
Well the next car isn't going to be goofy, so maybe you can call up Nissan and tell them you deserve a job. ;)

Mazda3 right now is probably not a contender, Forte5 maybe. (never really looked into those, might have to try and get a test drive)
I have test driven the SX trim of the Forte5, not that zippy on 0-60, but it does ride rather nice.

They didn't have any at the lot I was at, so my only experience with it was the AT.
Local dealer has a white 6-speed manual for $22k. I hate going down to test drive cars though because they expect you to lay down some cash and drive away in the thing. I just want to compare it to other cars I have driven.

Local dealer has a white 6-speed manual for $22k. I hate going down to test drive cars though because they expect you to lay down some cash and drive away in the thing. I just want to compare it to other cars I have driven.
After the test drive, the guy just asks if I had any questions, and I said no. He then asked if I am still making my choice, and I said yes. Then he just goes "have any questions, let me know" and goes back in.

I left after that, I suppose I had it easy :lol:

Now I see why there are no up to date family hatchbacks in video driving games. The manufacturers want you to go to the dealer to drive them. :sly:

Any way, The new Z will have to go 4-cylinder, as its only competition will be the ND MX-5(and Alfa/Abarth.). So, keep your eyes on the MX-5. There is another model being added (with more Zoom! Zoom! ;))

Didn't Nissan claimed they well resurrect the 240Z for their 80th anniversary or something like that 2 years ago? What happened to that again?

Everyone is all disappointed that they won't be building a BRZ/86 competitor, but I think for the next Z if they make it a little smaller, lighter, and offer a turbo-4 (same 2.0T as Q50?) entry level model they can jump into the fight anyway.

Weirdly, given that the original source on that story was from the same publisher I work at, Nissan wasn't quite so final when I talked to them at NYIAS...

In fact, Nakamura went as far as saying Nissan would build a rival if some of their competitors - and my question directly referenced the Toyota S-FR - were successful with that formula. I don't think the success of the MX-5 is enough on its own, but ultimately if there's a business case for it, Nissan won't rule it out entirely.

That was just one article, there are several that say the same thing. Guess they all just copied from one another or something.

Back