Nissan hints to a new RWD sportscar?

It works ok in the Altima (gets great mileage too) but if you really have to accelerate, it's really quite noisy.

Now, with that said, dropping the supercharged QR25 from the Pathfinder HEV into a Sentra (without the hybrid system) might be kick-ass.

The 2.0T from my(past) '13 Megane Trophy+ would up the ante in an iDX. :D

i guess it aint all bad
While for Nissan, the production BladeGlider was always going to be a moonshot, the production IDx did seem plausible. The good news is that a car like one of the IDx concepts is not completely dead. We’re hearing that Nissan will incorporate elements of the IDx for its next-generation Z sports car, repositioning it as a more basic sports offering and leaving the GT-R to sit in the powerful grand touring segment.

Last edited:
Done. Dead. Just put a nail in the coffin already...

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/22/nissan-idx-future-not-happening/

I tell you what, Nissan is great at something: showing us concepts they have no intention of making. I'm still upset at them for showing us the Azeal concept years ago and not following through on that one either.

nissan-azeal-concept-photo-165313-s-429x262.jpg

And that is why Nissan sucks.

They could have slightly revised it and built it on the new Twingo platform. Rear engine, rear drive small performance car? Put Nissan's new 3 cylinder engine it. Hell yeah, I would have bought that in a heartbeat.

I just don't get why they even bothered. They got the most positive response they could hope for and still didn't feel it was worth it, so why did they act like they were ever considering it at all?

If Nissan is eschewing the iDx, hopefully they put more Nismo performance models on the fast track to production to make lesser models more appealing. The Pulsar Nismo looks promising.

That, reminds me half of a Nissan 350Z and half of the Nissan Altima
It was originally a design showcase for the new Sentra at the time:

2007_nissan_sentra_sedan_20-sl_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

But the "2.5L turbo coupe" didn't make it. :grumpy:
And so is it safe to say that Nissan is somewhat dead to me, apart from the GT-R?
And 370Z.
If Nissan is eschewing the iDx, hopefully they put more Nismo performance models on the fast track to production to make lesser models more appealing. The Pulsar Nismo looks promising.
There are more Nismo models coming down the pipeline, but some of them unfortunately are not going to be what was promised.

Yeah, made me sad to read that on Jalopnik last week. I really liked the idea of a new Datsun 510. Apparently they don't want to make a new RWD platform just for a small niche sports coupe to compete with the Toyobaru for those 50 buyers a year.

Though they could you know... use a light SWB RWD platform to also make a 4 door sedan and/or compact crossover for the mass market, maybe a Kei for domestic, and a roadster to compete with the mx5, but that's crazy talk. Instead they offer the olive branch of "hey we might stick the retro body on a FWD platform for you!"

It's not that hard, the old bluebird had several flavors.
upload_2015-5-26_16-17-8.png

Im Surprised Nissan hasn't tried to take advantage of Renaults expertise in FWD Hatchbacks, Nissan could really do with a Megane Sport like car using say a Pulsar or Sentra Chassis on a RS Megane Driveline.

Nissans lineup is very much looking like Toyota's and with the current trend of cars going towards Stylish and Technoledgy loaded Efficient vehicles they really need to do something to not fall behind.

Many car markers seem to focus entirely on the US Market which is dominated by Elderly buyers who want white good motoring and its to the expense of the rest of the world sales who have a completely different outlook.

Im Surprised Nissan hasn't tried to take advantage of Renaults expertise in FWD Hatchbacks, Nissan could really do with a Megane Sport like car using say a Pulsar or Sentra Chassis on a RS Megane Driveline.
250hp Pulsar NISMO:

2015-Nissan-Pulsar-Nismo.jpg

Which Nissan says they want to set the FWD record at the ring with, and obviously Honda had something to say about that. So my guess is they will up the ante and really try, or they won't say anything and hope people forget. Unfortunately we'll never see this in the states or the Versa NISMO, and as I type the only thing planned for the US market is a Sentra NISMO which will basically get the Juke NISMO driveline.

Nissans lineup is very much looking like Toyota's and with the current trend of cars going towards Stylish and Technoledgy loaded Efficient vehicles they really need to do something to not fall behind.
To be completely honest, don't expect much of anything for a while. Lots of new and/or refreshed stuff hitting the market in the next few years, but nothing ground breaking.

Many car markers seem to focus entirely on the US Market which is dominated by Elderly buyers who want white good motoring and its to the expense of the rest of the world sales who have a completely different outlook.

You've gotta make money to do fun stuff, and as of right now, Nissan and Toyota are both making enough money to be comfortable, but not enough to go bonkers like they did in the '80s and '90s. You can tell that with both, they're beginning to see that the market is asking for more performance oriented versions of some of the bread-and-butter cars, but getting too far away with what pads their beds at night is a tough sell to a board that sees almost all of the non-American markets struggling.

I think that, with many of the American and Korean brands now stepping on their toes, offering base-line models that are more engaging, with better quality, fuel economy, and overall performance, Nissan and Toyota will eventually be forced to go back to what they used to do.

250hp Pulsar NISMO:

2015-Nissan-Pulsar-Nismo.jpg

Which Nissan says they want to set the FWD record at the ring with, and obviously Honda had something to say about that. So my guess is they will up the ante and really try, or they won't say anything and hope people forget. Unfortunately we'll never see this in the states or the Versa NISMO, and as I type the only thing planned for the US market is a Sentra NISMO which will basically get the Juke NISMO driveline.
My point though, it's a concept at best that will likely not even beat a Current Megane Sport anyway.

The Sentra Nismo is maybe a Cutprice Focus ST rival at best I can see, but that will be revealed later.

To be completely honest, don't expect much of anything for a while. Lots of new and/or refreshed stuff hitting the market in the next few years, but nothing ground breaking.

which is a problem, because Nissan risks boring the buyers out of the Market entirely and risk a big swing in sales.

In Australia Nissan is basically invisible apart from Commercial sales for example, the Micra sells ok though, but it's much cheaper then other subcompacts so it atleast it has something going for it because it is still miles behind the competition anyway.

No, you're asking too much out of it there. Think Jetta GLI or Civic Si performance.
And they are not in the same class?

The Pulsar SSS here is priced in the warm hatch class just under the Focus ST and Golf GTI, the Sentra will have the Nismo 1.6DIGT so I would assume its more into that level.

Power is around 220hp?

And they are not in the same class?

The Pulsar SSS here is priced in the warm hatch class just under the Focus ST and Golf GTI, the Sentra will have the Nismo 1.6DIGT so I would assume its more into that level.

Power is around 220hp?
Focus ST is like 250hp for $25k in the US. No power numbers on the Sentra yet (I've already said too much.... :P) but I'm really hoping for at least Juke Nismo RS numbers (215hp) and hopefully more.

Focus ST is like 250hp for $25k in the US. No power numbers on the Sentra yet (I've already said too much.... :P) but I'm really hoping for at least Juke Nismo RS numbers (215hp) and hopefully more.
Regardless the price will be close very likely and they will undoubtly be compared, Golf GTI has 220PS in standard form and is slightly more expensive then the Focus ST, if the driving Dynamics are sorted it should be okay in comparison(the Megane RS in Australia is also in this class in standard form).

Still massively missed the boat I think on not using these:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_F-Type_engine#F4x

in Basic Form its a 250HP 2.0L Twin Scroll Turbo.

Regardless the price will be close very likely and they will undoubtly be compared, Golf GTI has 220PS in standard form and is slightly more expensive then the Focus ST, if the driving Dynamics are sorted it should be okay in comparison(the Megane RS in Australia is also in this class in standard form).

Still massively missed the boat I think on not using these:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_F-Type_engine#F4x

in Basic Form its a 250HP 2.0L Twin Scroll Turbo.
We'll just have to see. We're probably a year out from even seeing it. (well you guys, not me :D)

The Megane and Clio have "Nissan(Australia)" covered. The Navara and Micrawill tide those loyal customers until something happens- I'd like to think GT-R, though those numbers seem to have died down after the '12 model power hike. I don't know what but, that new smaller Z or a refresh of the line up should help to get people back in the Nissan showrooms. The Altima sure isn't.

Back