Nissan hints to a new RWD sportscar?

I've looking over some information I received along with other forms and I noticed a trend in both areas. There is a strong possibility that a new S chassis or S-16 is already here but does not have a body just yet. There have been hints in both areas that the new S-16 may be running on the JUKE chassis with a turbo charge inline four or six cylinder motor, more the latter of a six cylinder. Though the possibilities are still open to change the S chassis is slated to return.

The Juke chassis rumor seems unlikely if they're aiming to make a proper sports car, since it's front-drive or all-wheel-drive only. Even less likely if a six-cylinder is mooted, since the car just isn't designed to accept such an engine.

Incidentally, there's every chance the basic chassis and the design have already been finalized. Such decisions are usually done and dusted three years before a car goes on sale. What's likely is we'll soon see the inevitable concept car strongly hinting at the car's proportions and styling, and then the car itself will emerge shortly after. In the meantime, there'll be the odd spy shot of a disguised prototype knocking about as engineers sort the remaining chassis, engine and electrical bits.

Of course, if Nissan is dawdling then it may be another half-decade before anything emerges. But that seems unlikely, given that they hinted they were considering such a car soon after the FT-86 concept emerged from Toyota.

Of course, if Nissan is dawdling then it may be another half-decade before anything emerges. But that seems unlikely, given that they hinted they were considering such a car soon after the FT-86 concept emerged from Toyota.

Well, they did show us this eight years ago:

nissan-urge-concept-photo-110415-s-1280x782.jpg

Nissan has been testing us with a cheap, rear-drive sports car for some time. Like I said many moons ago in the BRZFRS thread, "If Toyota is successful, everyone will end up doing it." That's why we had/have Nissan doing it, that's why GM did it, and it's really only a matter of time before Honda and several others do, too.

That's why we had/have Nissan doing it, that's why GM did it, and it's really only a matter of time before Honda and several others do, too.

Please, do refresh my memory.. Which model this cheap RWD sportscar by GM is, because AFAIK, 130R hasn't gotten a green light..?

GM are tards. If I were them I'd release the 130R with an ecotec but with holes drilled and mounts ready for an LS swap. That would sell like cake at a fat camp. Just make it cheap as hell... put a daewoo engine in it to get around Cafe... who cares. Just make a good chassis with a good suspension and throw everything else korean on it to keep costs way down.

Please, do refresh my memory.. Which model this cheap RWD sportscar by GM is, because AFAIK, 130R hasn't gotten a green light..?

My point was that, because the GT-86/BRZ/FR-S have been successful, and based on the show cars that have been displayed (and the positive press they've received), it seems fairly likely that everyone would get in on it - including GM, who showed the Code 130RS in 2012.

Production approval for the Chevrolet Code has been rumored to be confirmed for production by several magazines and the GMI forums, which are usually fairly reliable. Current plans put it on a variant of the Alpha chassis, with which it would share with the Camaro. The standard engine option would presumably be the 200 BHP 2.5L I4, and the optional one being the reworked 250 BHP 2.0L turbo I4 from the Vauxhall Insignia VXR/Buick Regal GS. I'd expect an Aisin 6-speed manual, and presumably, an optional 6-speed automatic.

GM are tards. If I were them I'd release the 130R with an ecotec but with holes drilled and mounts ready for an LS swap. That would sell like cake at a fat camp. Just make it cheap as hell... put a daewoo engine in it to get around Cafe... who cares. Just make a good chassis with a good suspension and throw everything else korean on it to keep costs way down.

Thats the thing - we really don't know what the hell GM's plan is with the Camaro other than it will be lighter, smaller, and based on the same Alpha chassis as the ATS. I have heard before that GM might scrap the "Code" name altogether and just make that the Camaro, and then introduce a larger and more luxurious V8 coupe later on to sit atop the brand with the SS sedan. May as well call it the Chevelle at that point.

That would be dumb. Chevy already has too many cars. If someone wants a huge V8 coupe, let them buy a cadillac.

The comments on Jalopnik's cover of that story were hilarious.

Also, some interesting statistics appeared from the 2013 Maritz New Vehicle Customer Study:

BRZ average buyer age: 41
370z average buyer age: 55

Share of BRZ buyers under 35: 41%
Share of 370Z buyers under 35: 13%

Share of BRZ buyers 50 or over: 33%
Share of 370Z buyers 50 or over: 62%

Share of BRZ drivers divorced, widowed or separated: 9%
Share of 370Z drivers divorced, widowed or separated: 24%

Not sure Andy Palmer has much of a leg to stand on here...

But when did the BRZ come out compared to the 370?
What are the specs?
Do the cars have a history?
What is the cost of the car?

None of that is really relevant.

Even if you completely ignore the 370Z aspect of the comparison, the figures alone suggest that Palmer's comments are incorrect. When two fifths of BRZ buyers are under 35 and the average age has barely scraped into their 40s, I'd not call that a mid-life crisis car. There's a chance buyers of the Scion are even younger.

Then there's the other stuff he isn't really taking into account. The 86 trio has woken up the aftermarket in a way few other cars have done in recent years. It's also created an internet buzz like few other vehicles in recent years - and I strongly suspect most of that buzz is from people in their teens to their thirties, rather than forties and beyond.

I'm sure Palmer is doing it for the soundbite and to stir up some interest in Nissan's next sports car (something that won't really happen until they show us a concept of the damn thing, at the very least) but his comments are little more intelligent than schoolboy insults.

Every FR-S/BR-Z I've seen has been driven by somebody in their 20s or 30s. The 370z is exclusively (from what I've seen) driven by the 40-50 year olds.

After reading a post from Japanese Nostalgic car. This RWD coupe concept is supposed to have retro styling. A friend of mine is friends with a Speedhunters editor. Who posted this to his Facebook. This is it!? :eek:

'Twood be cool if it was, because at this point, Nissan needs something. That being said, that's about seven shades too much concept, not nearly ready for production.

I really wish they thought more of an "S16" Silvia rather than trying to go retro and make a design to remind us of the 510. I figured this was it after the reports about the retro styling. At the moment I heard that it's currently known as the "IDx" for now.

Edit: JNC posted a picture of the front with the lights on.
1467367_10151903016845095_94689556_n.jpg

Last edited:
bear-how-about-no-wj9.jpg

Roofline is very reminescent of a TA22 Celica, but the car itself doesn't seem to know what it wants to be.

Looks more Fiat 131 than a Dime. People can have their say if they comment and say build it but, change this and that.

images

The BRE version is better. I think the one thing I don't like is the "space" in the middle of the C-pillar. Connect it with the part coming down from the roof and it'll look a lot better.

It would be very similar to the Camaro's c-pillar then, far too heavy of a styling feature. I think it's on the money. It's quirky and full of fun detailing, just like JNCs were.

Though specs weren’t revealed, our sources say that the IDX concept is powered by a 2.5-liter inline four, mounted longitudinally for an all-important RWD layout. On stage, it appeared about the same size as the neo-hachiroku Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ twins, and if produced it will go head-to-head against them in the marketplace.

Could have read the article. ;) Doesn't seem to be confirmed information though, so we'll have to wait.

I really wish they thought more of an "S16" Silvia rather than trying to go retro and make a design to remind us of the 510. I figured this was it after the reports about the retro styling. At the moment I heard that it's currently known as the "IDx" for now.

Edit: JNC posted a picture of the front with the lights on.
1467367_10151903016845095_94689556_n.jpg

New article should be titled, Nissan Gives Birth to a Baby Dodge Challenger.

So, basically this thing has zero chance at production. Or, if it does make it, it'll look absolutely nothing like this.

Good job Nissan. You've built another small, rear-drive concept to tease us with every six years just like the last one. See you in 2019.

Back