Nissan hints to a new RWD sportscar?

I say it looks a lot like a '65 Mustang coupe with the side scoop reversed, which is a basically good thing.

I wonder what the vehicle weight is? At 1000 kg, normally aspirated 150hp, CVT and under $18k, it would make an excellent urban runabout, and I would test drive one, and maybe buy it.

With big wheels, fenders and turbo, it would blow off a BR-Z, which are limited by their fenders, wheel size, brakes and flat 4 n/a power.

Edit: Latest on the IDx Freeflow and IDx Nismo: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/tokyo2013/nissan-idx-datsun-510-skyline

Last edited:
Nissan - Up To Something Again

nissan-teaser.jpg

Nissan is planning a rear-drive sport sedan for Detroit. No idea on the actual size of the car, but it leads to two conclusions:

1. Delivering on the 4DSC concept for the first time since the late '90s
2. A slightly more realistic approach to rear-drive, affordable performance offerings from the brand

I say it looks a lot like a '65 Mustang coupe with the side scoop reversed, which is a basically good thing.

I wonder what the vehicle weight is? At 1000 kg, normally aspirated 150hp, CVT and under $18k, it would make an excellent urban runabout, and I would test drive one, and maybe buy it.

With big wheels, fenders and turbo, it would blow off a BR-Z, which are limited by their fenders, wheel size, brakes and flat 4 n/a power.

Edit: Latest on the IDx Freeflow and IDx Nismo: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/tokyo2013/nissan-idx-datsun-510-skyline

Id like this for DLC. I want to virtually drive it now.

Well, that's one hell of a concept car. It would be a shame if it had anything less than 300 BHP and at least AWD.

Quite like it in a superficial way, but the busy surfacing of some of these modern concepts is really starting to wear thin. It's enough to make you want an Audi...

Good from the front, good from the rear, side view....not so much. Too much door, not enough window.

In any case, I don't think this is the right thread for this...

Nissan Confirms IDx Concept Will Go To Production!

I immediately thought they would be the perfect size for a Subaru BRZ fighter. The people at Nissan must think so too. It's gonna be real!

Well, one of them at least, but they're essentially the same car, a sort of rebirth of the legendary Datsun 510 in street-going and race form. Nissan told Australia's Drive and other news outlets that a production version of the IDx could happen in 2016 or so.
Nissan executive vice president Andy Palmer told media there was no confirmation of which of the two concept models would hit production.

"Don't say that we won't do both, but we will definitely do one of them," he said.

He went on to hint that the IDx might have a manual transmission, or at the very least, paddle shifters.
And that's great news, because a.) both cars look amazing and b.) the world needs as many affordable rear-wheel drive sports cars as we can get.

If the IDx's production car is anything like the concept, it could be powered by a sub-2.0-liter four cylinder engine, likely turbocharged. If they keep it light, that should get the BRZ fighting done just fine.

Jalopnik

If it has more than 200hp and a manual gearbox, weighs less than 2700lbs, sells for less than $30,000, and above all, mostly looks like the concept, I will put down a deposit as soon as I am able to.

I'd rather see Nissan tone down the styling a bit, and offer a wider range of engine and transmission offerings than some of their competitors. Without a doubt, they should be using the 1.6T from the Juke. Use the regular one for a base version of the car (and for cheapskates like me), and then do a Nismo variant with the one from the Juke Nismo. Use a standard 6MT, and if they feel like it, may as well offer the CVT, too (you've got to appeal to everyone).

Most importantly, Nissan has to show they mean business by competitively pricing the thing. And by competitive, I mean, "less than those Scions sold down the street."

Now we just need to make sure Kia builds the GT4 and someone wakes up at GM to do the Code 130R.

Ill have a nismo. They were qouted the day of the show, every concept is on a thin line. If reception is good then production line is followed, if reception is 50/50 then in the file with the rest of the concepts. Given that IDX was a massve hit, how could they not put it to a production team. It will be toned down to meet costs like the head ligts and wheels. Body shouldnt change much depending if the machines understand all the lines and creases.

Do hope for a 2l turbo for the nismo model, i would trade in for one.

I'll bet anything it's the 1.6 turbo from the Juke. Standard 1.6L non-turbo for the base car.

considering its grand-daddy came with a 1.6 it would be fitting.

desktop_bre510_1024.jpg

If I had one it would be so hard not to wrap it with BRE livery. ;)

and yeah, I completely agree... probably the MR16 200hp turbo mill for the "hot model" with the HR16 for normal duty. Just like the Juke. Though... Renault does have a nice hotted up version of the MR20 sentra engine in the Megane Turbo RS which would make a nice NISMO mill. :D

Last edited:
Here is the thing from me:

If Nissan wants to get us folks truly excited about the IDx, then, they need to get around to showing us a model that's a bit more production ready. You know, a dashboard that is passenger safe, bumpers that meet crash regulations, wheels and tires that won't cost an arm and a leg. I think all of us like the idea of what they've suggested, but, there is a ton of distance between what you first show off and what eventually hits the showroom floor.

I'd hate to have it look like a slightly larger Versa with rear drive.

Think the Nismo need a well designed spoiler to finish it off. Not a massive wing and neither a lip spoiler but something like the BRZ has. Bit more sporty then, to go will the wide arches, big brakes and carbon hood.

Back