Nissan hints to a new RWD sportscar?

Still don't see it.

In any case, the NISMO version is starting to grow on me and if it has the 1.6L turbo as I have read elsewhere, sign me up.

Still don't see it.

In any case, the NISMO version is starting to grow on me and if it has the 1.6L turbo as I have read elsewhere, sign me up.

As I said different perspectives but the concept of that and this look similar in overall line/shape and if you like the car I doubt you'll see a car you don't like in it.

JNC released a lot of pictures of the two concepts.
Nissan-IDx-FreeFlow-Datsun-510-Concept-03-640x426.jpg

Nissan-IDx-FreeFlow-Datsun-510-Concept-02-640x426.jpg

BRE version
Nissan-IDx-FreeFlow-Datsun-510-Concept-06-640x426.jpg

Nissan-IDx-FreeFlow-Datsun-510-Concept-08-640x426.jpg

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2013/11/19/news-the-datsun-510-is-reborn/

Well..we now know it as the "IDX Freeflow" concept...

So some people have called the Vision GT MB ugly, well I would direct anyone's attention who felt that way about the Benzo to glance at the above images for re-assessment.

Bet Nissan would have loved to be in on the FR-S/BR-Z/86 project with how awesome a car it is for what it is.

Very much like this. It's about as good a job of retro design as I've seen in the automotive world - very obviously some new cues and proportions in there, but good use of the kind of general features you'd see on something a lot older.

If Nissan brought something similar to that car out, the BRZ/86 wouldn't get a look in for me any more.

The one thing I'd have to see is its physical size compared to something like the 86. Because of the retro coupe looks it appears rather tall for what it is - and the one thing that could make or break a car like this is how low and sporty the driving position is. I wouldn't want it to feel like a regular family car inside.

Id definitely get this over the BRZ. a nice upright 3 box design. VW and Audi used to be good at this.

The 220i isnt bad either.

Last edited:
When I first saw them I didn't like them..............

But now I love them, they look awesome :drool:. I love that classic look. I would take this over the 86/FRS/BRZ anyday of the week.

OMG the NISMO version!:drool:

Big news is the use of tiny, cheap powertrains in the basic model. Going for 1.5/1.6L with the CVT should keep prices down, as it is essentially the same stuff out of the Versa, and well, almost every other small car that Nissan offers internationally. Although the power output would be dismal, if the weight is low, it should still be fun. But, more importantly, Nissan should be able to sell these things for less than $20k, easily undercutting the FR-S and whatever Mazda will be throwing our way with the new MX-5. With the Juke powertrain the NISMO model has, well, it should be a load of fun.

I like the idea of the car, I really do. As much thought as Nissan put into the drivetrain of the car, making it mostly out of off-the-shelf parts, it's the straight out of Concept Cars 101 design that rubs me the wrong way. Sure, I like the nod to the 510 (even though Nissan straight up denies it), but the shape doesn't look ready for prime-time. It's a bit too edgy, the front and rear a bit too flat, and overall less aerodynamic than what Nissan would need to pull off substantial fuel economy numbers.

If Nissan wants to get some attention, they may as well do it. They're making a bajillion off the Versa and Altima, may as well waste a few bucks and do one of these to get young folks back in the dealer.

After reading a post from Japanese Nostalgic car. This RWD coupe concept is supposed to have retro styling. A friend of mine is friends with a Speedhunters editor. Who posted this to his Facebook. This is it!? :eek:

I dub thee: Hako-suck-a.

I'm digging the Nismo version with the wide fenders. I hope they put this car into production. Would love to see it badged under the Datsun brand as well.

DO WANT!

It's a bit too edgy, the front and rear a bit too flat, and overall less aerodynamic than what Nissan would need to pull off substantial fuel economy numbers.
I'm probably not the person you'd expect to say this, but sod fuel economy with this one.

I doubt with those engines it'll be terrible, and whether you go for the turbo'd 1.6 or the 2.5-liter one I'd expect they're torquey enough that with suitable gearing they could return decent highway figures.

Surfacing is also pretty important to aerodynamics. A lot of cars with surprisingly flat fronts (think Merc CLA) have incredible Cd figures, so the general appearance doesn't tell the whole story.

I'd go old-school on this one. Gimme one with the 2.5 naturally-aspirated unit and a stick, and I'd be very happy. And if Nissan actually makes on and decides to bring it to the UK I'll be even happier, since Nissan's on my review car list...

It'd have to be a global car. If not, they're out of their minds. Furthermore, I'd expect this to be based on some kind of adaptable chassis that'll underpin the new Fairlady, and well, whatever else Nissan wants to build off of it.

I didn't even think of that 2.5L. It's a great engine looking for a better chassis, a proper rear-drive coupe could prove interesting. Even in a decades old Altima sedan, that 2.5L had more than enough gusto to keep me entertained.

And I'm sure they could tweak the 2.5 to be a little more peppy too. After all, Nissan has a history of putting seemingly dull engines in good cars. Wasn't the 240Z's engine from the Cedric?

But yes, it's the same with Toyota/Subaru - if you're spending all that money to develop a brand new rear-drive platform, I expect it'll be used widely. If it's going into production, I'd also expect the next Z-car to use a similar platform, and perhaps one or two other things.

Don't care how torquey the QR25 is, have never liked that engine either.
All engines can be tweaked, though. Relatively easy to turn a dull motor into something more interesting. The main benefit is a healthy capacity. As long as it isn't a boat anchor I could see it working pretty well as a nice naturally-aspirated option.

And I'm sure they could tweak the 2.5 to be a little more peppy too. After all, Nissan has a history of putting seemingly dull engines in good cars. Wasn't the 240Z's engine from the Cedric?

But yes, it's the same with Toyota/Subaru - if you're spending all that money to develop a brand new rear-drive platform, I expect it'll be used widely. If it's going into production, I'd also expect the next Z-car to use a similar platform, and perhaps one or two other things.

While it wasn't a technological marvel, the 240z had a decent engine. Based on a Mercedes design from a few years before if I recall correctly...and oh boy can you wake them up:

Shame it's such a heavy engine.

The red/white/black one looks absolutely fantastic. The cream-colored version should have had the same rear pillar design.

I'm in disagreement with most here on the rear pillar. I like the cut-off design - it's an interesting nod to the sort of quarter vent on the 510 coupe:

1971_Datsun_1800_SSS_Bluebird_Coupe_Rear_1.jpg

The twin lights of the cream car are also more interesting than the squared-off units of the BRE replica. Really I'd have to see the Nismo one without the BRE color scheme to fully appreciate it but at first glance the road-going version looks more natural. To me it's one of the best retro designs I've seen in a very long time.

I really, really hope Nissan goes forward with this. As others have said, the first FT86 concepts were...well...concepty as well, and they steadily became more real. Please Nissan, do the same. You're onto something for the first time in a long, long time.

I've been looking at these pictures for a week, and I finally have something to say:

It's too retro.

Mind you, I like the front end a lot, and I think the lines are nice. But it's too retro.

Let's recap: Nissan have said that the 86 is a midlife crisis car. But it's one of the few cars nowadays that actually tickles the interest of young car buyers. It's not a styling success, but the 86 looks unashamedly modern.

This is unabashedly retro, cranked up to eleven. And that's a problem. Something like the Code 130R would be acceptable. Some classic cues, but modern. This is just an all-retro love-fest.

I won't be disappointed if the production car looks like that. Especially not if they offer a base 1.6 with nothing on it for a good price. But I doubt they're going to hit their demographic target unless they rethink the styling approach a bit.

The Freeflow will have to be the bread and butter of the two. Think about the people that will buy it. Just like the EG Civic, '641/2 Mustang, RWD Corollas from the '60s to the '80s. Strictly inexpensive A to B cars. I dont know if this generation care about cars that much as the designer said. So, the freeflow has to tick those boxes of get in and go.

I won't be disappointed if the production car looks like that. Especially not if they offer a base 1.6 with nothing on it for a good price. But I doubt they're going to hit their demographic target unless they rethink the styling approach a bit.
I'm not so sure. I'd have said the target demographic are the ones who want the retro styling because they're just discovering all the cool old stuff that Nissan used to make and wonder why they aren't making stuff like it any more.

Whether you're looking at the enthusiast, who knows about Nissan's heritage and appreciates something that harks back to it, or the lay person, who is a sucker for anything retro (see: MINI, Mustang etc), I think the design would go down pretty well.

i've lost interest in Nissan (besides the R35 and Z's) since forever ago. they make such hideous looking cars now.

it just looks like a squeezed challenger

The Nismo version would look nice if it was a fast back, in my opinion... The way it is, though... Well, I think it looks a bit weird.

Everyone should remember how crazy the FT86 concept was at first and how it mellowed out for production. Wouldn't be too off base to think the same thing would happen here.

So, basically this thing has zero chance at production. Or, if it does make it, it'll look absolutely nothing like this.
In this case, it's good news. It was bad enough when Ford did it, and worse when GM and Chrysler followed. How did this end up at Nissan?

I think the only good retro car to date has been the Ford GT, and that's only because the car it's based on could pass for not being retro. Everything else looks worse than the original, especially since cars today are huge and bloated, and there is nothing practical about these retro designs at all. It already seems like they had to try to remove the airdam from the BRE version. But couldn't really for styling and what's there is probably still hurting drag.

I really like these two concepts, yes they're quite retro but they work so well, they remind me a bit of the Nissan Foria concept (retro Silvia) from 2005 as well (similar proportions).

nissan-idx-5.jpg

This is my perfect interior. Just gauges and a wheel.i know I wouldnt be concerned about aerodynamics if I could relive some old school styling iike this.
BMW-E21-TUNING.jpg

And this
images

Last edited:
Back