Non-linear throttle

I'm using same pedals and mine is full at full but cannot regulate between 80% to 100% very well at all .
Try pressing the pedal with your hand and check against the throttle bar on screen to see what it takes to get the amount you want. For the G29, 50-100% was all compressed within the last quarter of travel.

Finally understand why the throttle in this game seems ‘off’ compared to everything else out there. This thread is a huge help. All of the unnatural throttle modulation may explain why my leg would feel cramped and sore after an extended period or consecutive days. Just another reason to shelve this game permanently.

What do you mean? I doubt the non linear input is any different on any wheel. At least it's not any different on my T-GT and I doubt a wheel could be more licensed than that.
Sorry, I was talking specifically about the Logitech Driving Force Pro, which is not "supported" on PS4.

I'd been wondering why it seemed so difficult to get the throttle on DS4 to hang between 75 and just under 100%, I thought it was that the trigger "bottoms out" after a certain point, so I'd actually have to release it a bit further than usual, but nope, looks like this is the problem.

Is there any way this can be easily relayed to PD? Like outside of writing it up on a Sambabus and hoping it hits trending on the discover tab?

I'd been wondering why it seemed so difficult to get the throttle on DS4 to hang between 75 and just under 100%, I thought it was that the trigger "bottoms out" after a certain point, so I'd actually have to release it a bit further than usual, but nope, looks like this is the problem.

Is there any way this can be easily relayed to PD? Like outside of writing it up on a Sambabus and hoping it hits trending on the discover tab?
I'm going to work on a write-up post but in the meantime, I'd let anyone you know that plays GT Sport about it in case they're not aware.

When you push the throttle pedal halfway down, how much throttle are you applying to the car?

If you’re playing GT Sport and answered half throttle, you’re wrong. It’s only 25%.

A few weeks ago, I made the switch from Gran Turismo 6 to GT Sport and found this lesson out the hard way. I sensed that something wasn’t right with my throttle control. I even recall my right leg shaking because there was an uncomfortable disconnect between what I was doing versus what I noticed in the game. Some searching around later, I came upon a thread from last year that provide a possible explanation for this.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/non-linear-throttle.366409/

@SnowLeopard had even provided video evidence of what he was trying to argue.

Wanting to see this effect with my own eyes, I loaded up a random car and track. Then I started to work the throttle using my hand while keeping an eye on the throttle bar on-screen. I tested several points but the most eye-opening was when I wanted to add half throttle on game. This required 75% of the pedal to achieve. Anyone with their own pedal set can try this (pad users, I’d suggest seeing how much trigger is required for 50% to check if that makes sense).

Now what does this mean, exactly? I can’t speak for everyone but in many other games I’ve played – including all prior Gran Turismos - the throttle pedal is linear. In other words, if you want 25% throttle, you push 25% down, 50% throttle, 50% down and so on. That would be my expectation because it would make the most sense. For reasons unknown, GT Sport went in a different direction that, in essence, makes any inputs between half and full throttle in the game difficult, if not impossible to achieve.

The ramifications of this is more than you may realize. Consider the following consequences:

---

Every corner exit in the game – This is the clearest impact by far. Just think of every instance in which you thought you were applying anything over half throttle up until now. You were most likely not, costing you time on the track which adds up throughout a lap. Basically, the whole concept of carefully applying throttle exiting a corner is far less effective than mashing the throttle/turning on aids because it’s hard to add anything more than half power.

Lifting off the throttle – There are certain corner complexes where going full out is risky or may require a small lift. Every instance you lifted thinking you were just easing off a little, it was probably more than that.

Car momentum – There are cases where you have to hold a set amount of power throughout a complex or lose a lot of time, like the S curves at Suzuka. If that amount is anything over half throttle, good luck holding it.

Drivability of Certain Cars – There are those cars in GT Sport that can be a spin monster if you’re not careful with the throttle. With that being hindered by the current mapping, these cars may be less competitive overall compared to other cars. If anything, the mapping may make it easier to spin these cars out because that last half of the throttle is compressed to the last quarter of travel. You don’t want to add power too quickly but how can you when it’s too easy to jump from 50% throttle to 100% in an instant?

Consistency – In qualifying, you may go all out but try that in a race and you risk making a mistake and being out of contention. In that regard, you may be a little less aggressive with all your inputs and that includes what you do with your right foot. I’ve noticed that my times in the race are further off than in qualifying that I would normally expect. It’s quite possible that some of that time loss is because of backing out far more throttle in the game than pedal travel.

Penalties – Yes, even this area. If you ever follow someone from behind off a corner and you end up hitting them because they don’t accelerate as you expect them to, it may not be their fault. They could’ve been applying less throttle than they thought they were.

Drifting and Rallying - Two aspects where throttle control is even more critical for success. These aren't strong areas on my end but I sense that the current mapping may throw off someone expecting one thing but actually getting something else.

---

There’s more issues I could list but for now, I hope everyone at least understands the implications of such a fundamental change. It could be the explanation to any range of issues many of you may currently have with GT Sport. The only question left is what can be done about it. From my perspective, there are only two options:

1. Adjust your throttle input and driving style to compensate, understanding that the upper range of the throttle cannot be reliably accessed.
  2. Ask PD to change the throttle mapping back to linear, or at least explain the reasoning for this change.

Any thoughts, opinions or otherwise are welcome.

When you push the throttle pedal halfway down, how much throttle are you applying to the car?

If you’re playing GT Sport and answered half throttle, you’re wrong. It’s only 25%.

A few weeks ago, I made the switch from Gran Turismo 6 to GT Sport and found this lesson out the hard way. I sensed that something wasn’t right with my throttle control. I even recall my right leg shaking because there was an uncomfortable disconnect between what I was doing versus what I noticed in the game. Some searching around later, I came upon a thread from last year that provide a possible explanation for this.

Wanting to see this effect with my own eyes, I loaded up a random car and track. Then I started to work the throttle using my hand while keeping an eye on the throttle bar on-screen. I tested several points but the most eye-opening was when I wanted to add half throttle on game. This required 75% of the pedal to achieve. Anyone with their own pedal set can try this (pad users, I’d suggest seeing how much trigger is required for 50% to check if that makes sense).

Now what does this mean, exactly? I can’t speak for everyone but in many other games I’ve played – including all prior Gran Turismos - the throttle pedal is linear. In other words, if you want 25% throttle, you push 25% down, 50% throttle, 50% down and so on. That would be my expectation because it would make the most sense. For reasons unknown, GT Sport went in a different direction that, in essence, makes any inputs between half and full throttle in the game difficult, if not impossible to achieve.

The ramifications of this is more than you may realize. Consider the following consequences:

---

Every corner exit in the game – This is the clearest impact by far. Just think of every instance in which you thought you were applying anything over half throttle up until now. You were most likely not, costing you time on the track which adds up throughout a lap. Basically, the whole concept of carefully applying throttle exiting a corner is far less effective than mashing the throttle/turning on aids because it’s hard to add anything more than half power.

Lifting off the throttle – There are certain corner complexes where going full out is risky or may require a small lift. Every instance you lifted thinking you were just easing off a little, it was probably more than that.

Car momentum – There are cases where you have to hold a set amount of power throughout a complex or lose a lot of time, like the S curves at Suzuka. If that amount is anything over half throttle, good luck holding it.

Drivability of Certain Cars – There are those cars in GT Sport that can be a spin monster if you’re not careful with the throttle. With that being hindered by the current mapping, these cars may be less competitive overall compared to other cars. If anything, the mapping may make it easier to spin these cars out because that last half of the throttle is compressed to the last quarter of travel. You don’t want to add power too quickly but how can you when it’s too easy to jump from 50% throttle to 100% in an instant?

Consistency – In qualifying, you may go all out but try that in a race and you risk making a mistake and being out of contention. In that regard, you may be a little less aggressive with all your inputs and that includes what you do with your right foot. I’ve noticed that my times in the race are further off than in qualifying that I would normally expect. It’s quite possible that some of that time loss is because of backing out far more throttle in the game than pedal travel.

Penalties – Yes, even this area. If you ever follow someone from behind off a corner and you end up hitting them because they don’t accelerate as you expect them to, it may not be their fault. They could’ve been applying less throttle than they thought they were.

Drifting and Rallying - Two aspects where throttle control is even more critical for success. These aren't strong areas on my end but I sense that the current mapping may throw off someone expecting one thing but actually getting something else.

---

There’s more issues I could list but for now, I hope everyone at least understands the implications of such a fundamental change. It could be the explanation to any range of issues many of you may currently have with GT Sport. The only question left is what can be done about it. From my perspective, there are only two options:

1. Adjust your throttle input and driving style to compensate, understanding that the upper range of the throttle cannot be reliably accessed.
  2. Ask PD to change the throttle mapping back to linear, or at least explain the reasoning for this change.

Doesn't need a new thread.

How about option 3. Give us a choice between linear and the current garbage we have.
My foot is not exactly amazing at controlling tiny movements and I would love if when I pushed half the throttle down I actually got half throttle.
Option to switch would be fair, especially if one has already gotten used to what it is now. I've only played for about two weeks and I have to pump the throttle through corners to avoid bogging down.

Seems the pedal issue has come back for me, had issues with it up until 1.11 or so and it seemed to have come back after 1.14. Gr3 cars are tough to drive with it like this.

Would you say your pedals are stiffer than the G29? I'm planning on getting a GTEye throttle spring just to keep me from pressing it too far accidentally. Is yours as stiff as you can get and still have issues?

I swapped the throttle and clutch springs over on G29 pedals. Massive improvement once you get used to it.

I noticed this problem before and I've tried to deal with it, but in the one make race A of the daily races with the 4C this issue had me absolutely pissed trying to modulate the throttle properly.

I really hope this gets worked out. I fly RC and see this as a negative exponential curve with a positive spike in the last 1/4 inch of pedal travel. I'm not willing to run any assists to mask it and the only reason I run abs is to get the same tire grip to be competitive, which is a problem area I've noticed since gt5.

From my perspective, there are only two options:
I think option one is unreasonable for anyone that plays any sim besides GT Sport. And if anyone knows of a way to contact PD to make them aware of the issue, they've been holding out. I've even tried the official PlayStation forums.

Most developers have some official means of contacting them but that doesn't seem to be the case with Polyphony. Maybe they just expect people to report issues via Twitter or something.

In the meantime, I've gone with Option 3: Lose interest in the game and stop playing.

In the meantime, I've gone with Option 3: Lose interest in the game and stop playing.
Happened to me a few weeks ago thanks to screwy track/cars combination dailies, been back at it in iRacing and already spent a ton of money this week on new cars and tracks... poor wallet.

---

---

Perhaps this should be posted in the GT Bug thread once finalized as it a very good write up of the issue as it is seen.

Would give it further visibility.

Perhaps this should be posted in the GT Bug thread once finalized as it a very good write up of the issue as it is seen.

Would give it further visibility.
The thing I don't know is whether it really is a bug or this mapping was by design. I do know that the current setup means having to work the throttle in rather strange way. For example, I'm having to pump the gas whenever I'm exiting a corner rather than breathing it a little whenever I get understeer. Doesn't feel right but I noticed that pattern with some of the fastest drivers out there.

There is one other thing to mention. Yesterday, I tried switching from bumper cam to hood view as an experiment of sorts. Could just be the change in perspective but the throttle issue felt less of an issue there.

The thing I don't know is whether it really is a bug or this mapping was by design. I do know that the current setup means having to work the throttle in rather strange way. For example, I'm having to pump the gas whenever I'm exiting a corner rather than breathing it a little whenever I get understeer. Doesn't feel right but I noticed that pattern with some of the fastest drivers out there.

There is one other thing to mention. Yesterday, I tried switching from bumper cam to hood view as an experiment of sorts. Could just be the change in perspective but the throttle issue felt less of an issue there.

Thats interesting - what about cockpit view as well ?

Thats interesting - what about cockpit view as well ?
Haven't tried cockpit yet. All I know is that corners have this impression of being more gentle in hood view and I can point the car better with less input. In that regard, I'm more comfortable flooring it.

Bumper view, not as much. Throttle control should mitigate not being able to see as much of the track but since that's not the case...

Is it just me, or the throttle mapping has become linear?
My g29 is different on the amount I press and the amount it appears on the screen. Like, linear.

For me the new GR 2 NSX is a complete write off. Coming out of 2nd gear corners the power is like a switch rendering the car useless. I’ve tried tuning this out but it’s a joke. Unless you’re happy running TCS2 and mashing the throttle....

There probably wasn't a car that I couldn't drive reasonably quick without TC in GT5 and GT6. I worked hard to develop throttle control. Along came GTS and I'm off pace everywhere. After reading this thread and being aware of the throttle issue I'm driving differently and getting back to my prior pace. Rolling on the throttle quicker and letting off less has made a huge difference :dunce:.

We definitely need to have this changed back to linear and have better throttle control in the 50-100 % range.

There probably wasn't a car that I couldn't drive reasonably quick without TC in GT5 and GT6. I worked hard to develop throttle control. Along came GTS and I'm off pace everywhere. After reading this thread and being aware of the throttle issue I'm driving differently and getting back to my prior pace. Rolling on the throttle quicker and letting off less has made a huge difference :dunce:.

We definitely need to have this changed back to linear and have better throttle control in the 50-100 % range.
I think it's why I was placed in D2 right off the bat. Even having just a little understanding of this and trying to work with it gives you a big time gap to those who can't. I think that's the difference between D1/D2 and D3/D4

Being aware of it is helping but finding it impossible to take a corner at 85% throttle. Throttle obviously drops too quickly.

Yea man, it's real bad. I'm glad a posted a link to this thread in our main thread because it should be made more well known. It affects controller users too but I wonder if they have an easier time working through it. I've had to genuinely consider getting a GTEye throttle spring mod to make it heavier so I have more control at higher thresholds.

I can say for certainty that switching to hood view has made working around the throttle mapping easier to manage. It's still a hindrance but my pace has improved some since I can better set up arcs that allows for heavier throttle use on exit.
Being aware of it is helping but finding it impossible to take a corner at 85% throttle. Throttle obviously drops too quickly.
Best solution I have for those situations is pump the pedal once or twice really fast.
For me the new GR 2 NSX is a complete write off. Coming out of 2nd gear corners the power is like a switch rendering the car useless. I’ve tried tuning this out but it’s a joke. Unless you’re happy running TCS2 and mashing the throttle....
Here's the thing. If the mapping was by design to make it harder to spin out a car, then it actually has the opposite effect on the more powerful cars. Going from half throttle to full is all but an on-off switch in this game and in a car that can snap around with aggressive power delivery, watch out.

An utterly unfathomable decision on PD's part to use this type of throttle mapping imho. I just don't get it. It takes any real sense of connection to the car's engine (and therefore a good part of it's character) out of the game completely and as mentioned in the post above mine, only makes things more difficult for EVERYONE. Just why???.

If Ferrari had loaded a map like that onto the real LaF, to take just one example, TCS or no, there would have been an awful lot of unpleasantly surprised looking LaF customers having to sample hospital food through a straw whilst perusing their simply mahoosive repair bills don't you think PD?.

Back