Non-linear throttle

I'm kind of getting tired of this issue now. I hate the whole easing past half-throttle and just hoping that you got it right each time. It makes it a nightmare for cars that are easily upset, such as the NSX Gr.3 that I race almost religiously.

I can manage for the most part, but it still seems like a gamble in most corners and I feel like I loose a lot of time accelerating slowly without consistency. This was really apparent in Gr.1 on Monza. My practice laps would fluctuate wildly even though I was driving pretty much the same every lap.

I'm not saying I'll instantly be better if they ever fix this, but it would surely help me work on my lines and shaving more time from my laps without worrying about roulette wheel spin.

I'm kind of getting tired of this issue now. I hate the whole easing past half-throttle and just hoping that you got it right each time. It makes it a nightmare for cars that are easily upset, such as the NSX Gr.3 that I race almost religiously.

I can manage for the most part, but it still seems like a gamble in most corners and I feel like I loose a lot of time accelerating slowly without consistency. This was really apparent in Gr.1 on Monza. My practice laps would fluctuate wildly even though I was driving pretty much the same every lap.

I'm not saying I'll instantly be better if they ever fix this, but it would surely help me work on my lines and shaving more time from my laps without worrying about roulette wheel spin.

I have a similar problem with the Ferrari 458 Gr.3. It's hard to maintain a consistent throttle application when that engagement point is very vague. I've gotten used to it since I can drive with TC 0 in most races, but I have at least one or two moments during a race where I hit the throttle just a bit too hard and almost lose the back end.

It's really bad in rally. I hadn't noticed with the DS4, but on a wheel with finer steering inputs there is huge dependence on throttle to get the car to rotate the way you want. In hairpins I find myself fighting between half-throttle under-steer to full-throttle over-steer. I just can't get it right.

After struggling with this, I swapped the spring from my G29/G27 clutch pedal with the throttle pedal spring. I don't use the clutch anyway.

The clutch spring is stiffer, for me it's enough extra effort to slow my foot down, or at least remind me to slow my foot down. I have large feet (US 13), so I may have more leverage that many people, the pedal is definitely a little stiff now for extended driving stints, the weight of my foot doesn't just hold it down, it takes a bit of effort. I'm thinking of cutting a winding or 2 out of the spring to soften it just a bit.

I also switched from the G29 pedals to the G27, as the newer brake pedal has a rubber stopper in there that I didn't like the feel of. Sadly, now I have my old brake pedal feel, but I reach full braking at about half travel, and it's still a guessing game threshold or trail braking. You win some, you lose some.

After struggling with this, I swapped the spring from my G29/G27 clutch pedal with the throttle pedal spring. I don't use the clutch anyway.

The clutch spring is stiffer, for me it's enough extra effort to slow my foot down, or at least remind me to slow my foot down. I have large feet (US 13), so I may have more leverage that many people, the pedal is definitely a little stiff now for extended driving stints, the weight of my foot doesn't just hold it down, it takes a bit of effort. I'm thinking of cutting a winding or 2 out of the spring to soften it just a bit.

I also switched from the G29 pedals to the G27, as the newer brake pedal has a rubber stopper in there that I didn't like the feel of. Sadly, now I have my old brake pedal feel, but I reach full braking at about half travel, and it's still a guessing game threshold or trail braking. You win some, you lose some.
I'm as bad with the brake pedal as I'm good with the gas so I can't say much about the brakes. I will note that I don't need to add rear brakes as much like I used to. As for modding my throttle, I hope it doesn't come to that.

When I get home, going to try a hail mary and see if my ancient DF Pro works in GT Sport. The pedal set for that was a harsh teacher that forced me into controlling the throttle pedal with my big toe. It could be so old that it will have a different mapping somehow.

Edit: No dice! DF Pro too old to even be recognized!

Last edited:
Sony have pulled a Microsoft-style licence type deal which means they have deliberately deprecated any peripherals whose manufacturers didn't give them the money they demanded in order that they will issue a patch so the console will recognise its hardware ID. Of course, the peripheral manufacturers were able to take advantage of the "PS4 compatible" schtick, even with wheels that are basically identical to existing models (Logitech). Classic racketeering.

Spoofing the hardware ID works just fine via a couple of methods, have a look around.

I took a look at the G29's throttle pedal from the side and gauged roughly how far down the pedal went using my hand. Then I slowly let it go until the throttle bar was at 50%. I'd say the pedal was roughly 75% pressed. Halfway pressed, 25%. I was doubting I was seeing what I saw until I held the pedal to where the throttle was at 50% and let go. All that travel! :boggled:

Sony have pulled a Microsoft-style licence type deal which means they have deliberately deprecated any peripherals whose manufacturers didn't give them the money they demanded in order that they will issue a patch so the console will recognise its hardware ID. Of course, the peripheral manufacturers were able to take advantage of the "PS4 compatible" schtick, even with wheels that are basically identical to existing models (Logitech). Classic racketeering.

Spoofing the hardware ID works just fine via a couple of methods, have a look around.

What do you mean? I doubt the non linear input is any different on any wheel. At least it's not any different on my T-GT and I doubt a wheel could be more licensed than that.

What do you mean? I doubt the non linear input is any different on any wheel. At least it's not any different on my T-GT and I doubt a wheel could be more licensed than that.
It shouldn't be any different since I notice the same thing with DS4. It's a problem in the game itself rather than an input issue.

It's still such a puzzle. Where the cars just too easy to drive with linear mapping? I don't get it at all.

I was wondering why drifting was so difficult for me to do, but this helps me understand it better. Great thread.

It's still such a puzzle. Where the cars just too easy to drive with linear mapping? I don't get it at all.
That I have no idea. If anything, the way it is now reminds me of some RL econo cars I've driven. There, the design is with safety in mind; can't have granny spinning on a roundabout. It's possible PD wanted to make it "easier" for people to avoid spinning out by having 3/4 of the pedal control only half the throttle.

That or someone flipped the mapping with that of the brake by mistake as someone else had suggested.

Regardless, this makes the game much less enjoyable for me from a competitive standpoint which is a shame considering I'm enjoying most everything else. There's a sense of accomplishment when you can work that right foot to exactly where you want it and now I'm constantly second guessing myself.

That I have no idea. If anything, the way it is now reminds me of some RL econo cars I've driven. There, the design is with safety in mind; can't have granny spinning on a roundabout. It's possible PD wanted to make it "easier" for people to avoid spinning out by having 3/4 of the pedal control only half the throttle.

That or someone flipped the mapping with that of the brake by mistake as someone else had suggested.

Regardless, this makes the game much less enjoyable for me from a competitive standpoint which is a shame considering I'm enjoying most everything else. There's a sense of accomplishment when you can work that right foot to exactly where you want it and now I'm constantly second guessing myself.
You have no idea how frustrating it is for me as the only thing I use GTSport for is competitive racing. It doesn't help that controller users don't suffer from this as much because they can work the steering more easily when full throttle and I just have no idea what to do with my right foot. It's a guessing game like you said and I have to do extra testing to see what turns I can go flat out on exit so I don't worry about feathering it and just go for it. Any time I'm feathering it and someone else has a better handle on things they just fly right by.

If it's anything like the penalties, the only chance for a fix or even just an explanation for the logic behind this is if there is enough attention paid to it.

It's time PD.

There is a clear rational reason to incorporate pedal input adjustability in GTS. Players have been voicing their concerns for months now. Do consider this a priority for future updates. Pretty please, with sugar...
I like your optimism.:)

...........but do not count on that.

For me the Fanatec CS pedals helped a bit as the travel for the throttle is pretty long and you can adjust your input pretty well even on the last few percent that have the most impact in GTS due to this non-linearity.

Also I am using the Fanatec pedals with the T-GT wheel with the CPX adapter. I guess the guy who makes these adapters could very well add a mode (or make a new CPX version) that allows to "undo" the non linearity as he has to map the Fanatec output to what the Thrustmaster wheel expects as input anyway. There is already an option for the brake with this adapter, where you can adjust how far you have to push the brake to have 100% brake effect. Of course translating the linear output of the pedal to non-linear input for the wheel would be a bit different, but it would certainly be doable (the curve would probably have to be inverse compared to the one shown on the first post of this thread to counteract the non-linearity).
So I guess it would be possible to do it this way, but I doubt there would be that much demand for such a hardware and also it would be ridiculous having to resort to such extreme measures on the hardware front when PD could probably correct this in the code in 5 minutes.

Can't speak for those with anyone that uses the Thrustmaster or any other pedals. All I know is that the G29's pedal travel is to where I find it easy to push down to where I want it to around 75% depressed. That last quarter is more tricky and, as I mentioned, half the throttle sits right in that area.

Now, if someone gave me a space on the front page on how detrimental this is to the game, I'd be typing up something tonight.

I decided to make a new PSA thread about this which will be up by tomorrow. In the meantime, I'd mention this information to anyone you know because so far, I've caught a few people by surprise about it.

Also, I have heard that the brake mapping could also be off but brakes are my weak point so it's hard to gauge.

I'm still really struggling with this and it's not a matter of recalibrating my foot or brain. Trying to feather the throttle to 80 or 90% through a corner is physically impossible. I back off as lightly as I can muster and my throttle drops to less than 50%. And smooth application is similarly impossible.

Edit: using t3pa

Back