Not Lewis Hamilton...

It's just a bit of practice mate, that's all. I've been struggling with the new tyres as well and I'm slowly regaining confidence under braking and on turn exit. It may sound daft, but maybe try the driving school again (just skip the pointless ones like driving an MX5 in a straight line). I'm not ashamed to admit that I did (well, not much). After an hour or so of trying different types of corner, you'll learn more about how the new tyres feel.

But maybe for now don't just blame your rig. It's just you need to forget everything you knew about the handling and relearn, which can be a long process and takes different amounts of time for different people.

Your just frustrated by the time and hard work required to become really good at something. To be better than someone at something you have to work harder, longer and or smarter than them. If you really only have limited time be happy that you have other interests and accept that you may never be an elite racer.

I've spent £0 on my 'rig' of being sat on the end of my bed with a DS4 in my hand. I mustn't be taking this seriously enough :boggled:

But honestly, aren't you at least a little worried about the live events, since you are a candidate?

As long as you're not a student and therefore have to look on every penny (I know it very well, because I was one long enough :)), I in your situation would immediately run to a store and get me a wheel

Saying expensive rigs make for faster players is a bit like saying an expensive camera will suddenly make someone a better photographer. It's the person behind the tool that's good, not the tool itself.

GT isn't a full-blown sim — it's not even the simmiest driving game on consoles. Like any racing game, while there's some crossover between real-world teachings, the truly fast people work around the game's physics engine. They all have quirks and exploits, and the best players — in any genre — use those to their advantage.

I was able to qualify in the top 40 in Canada for a GT Sport event earlier this year on a controller (shock! horror!). The reason I didn't use a wheel was all to do with the then hassle of setting up my rig. You're right in the sense that a controller is lacking in subtlety compared to a wheel, but it's possible to work within those limitations and still be quite fast. The biggest issue is probably the throttle/brake modulation, and if I were to hazard a guess, that's why PD has implemented the bizarre non-linear approach.
Lot's of the F4H guys use a pad and win Top 24 races. Of course a wheel is the preferred option but if you don't put in the practice you aren't gonna get anywhere regardless if you have a pad or £500 rig.

No, you're not, but I am! :lol:

It sounds like you're looking for a simcade experience, so I'd suggest looking into that genre rather than games that try to be more hardcore simulators - though I personally class GT as somewhere in between the two categories.
Agreed I'd say the F1 Games and Forza or more of a 'Simcade' then GT. Also the amount of bugs on PCars is just ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
cartoon cars

I believe you're thinking of another Polyphony game:

37207-Motor_Toon_Grand_Prix_[NTSC-U]-1.jpg

There are no cartoon cars in GT Sport.

Lot's of the F4H guys use a pad and win Top 24 races. Of course a wheel is the preferred option but if you don't put in the practice you aren't gonna get anywhere regardless if you have a pad or £500 rig.

Speaking of pad users (and Forza) Evan (@Raceboy77) was at that GT event, and it was his first time using a wheel!

Despite that, he finished on podium. Which I think really drives home the point: fast people are fast, no matter what you put in front of them.

Agreed I'd say the F1 Games and Forza or more of a 'Simcade' then GT. Also the amount of bugs on PCars is just ridiculous.

Eh, GT and FM's tire models in particular are very simple compared to other games, which is why I'd rank them roughly equal. GT is hardly a "serious" sim — but I don't mean that as an insult. I think there's a sweet spot between approachability and realism that GT and FM hit better than any other title out there, and that's reflected in sales/critical acclaim.

Besides, every racing title out there is closer to the rest than it is to actually driving a car. :P

I don’t get how your say you’ve raced sims for years, including Project CARS, and then claim GT has become too much of a sim....

GT is an arcade game compared to PCARS. If you could drive in PCARS, jumping into GT is like picking up NFS or GTA, the physics and tire model are a yoke (not to mention no weather, no damage, no LiveTrack 2.0, etc). There’s no concern for tire temps, brake temps, engine temps, or engine wear. Gran Turismo is a simcade, not a sim.

If you wouldn’t have mentioned PCARS, I’d say your entitled to the opinion. But saying you’ve played PCARS, and then saying GT is too much of a sim, that’s just nonsense.
Think that’s a bit of an EGGsaturation!

Sorry, couldn’t resist!:lol::lol:

VBR
I don't think GT Sport's physics are too hard because it's trying to be a sim, but rather the tyre model was so poor that ironically it ended up being harder than the reality it was trying to simulate. Even though the tyre model has been improved imho, there are still some aberrations that make certain aspects of driving harder than it should be. No sim is perfect, & they all suffer in one area or another.

The first Project CARS was notoriously bad on the limit, with not enough progressive slip, & this was acknowledged by SMS in the second game where they tried to make it better. In the opinion of some they succeeded, in the opinion of others not so much. Assetto Corsa had issues with physics on the edge of grip as well, the cars tended to float away & were too hard to regain control of compared to reality (at least in my experience of the console version anyway). Then there were the Elises in AC that had no lift off oversteer, didn't rotate at all, & suffered with chronic understeer; very much unlike their real world counterparts.

We all have different driving styles, & we all have our preferred sim (I'm sure yours is the best one & that you need to tell me why my opinions in this post are wrong & yours are right *cough* the sacred cow effect *cough*). And, the more we play any particular sim, the better we get at it, & the less problems in the physics will bother us. I ended up getting used to PC1's crazy ass physics on the limit & quite enjoyed the thrill of racing on that knife edge, even though it was unrealistically hard.

All of these differences are made even more apparent when we quickly switch from one game to another, the glaring inconsistencies between them become even more apparent due to comparison. And, I had a rude awakening in 2009 when I got to drive a couple of real race cars in reality at a track day; that experience was not 100% the same as any sim I've ever driven (all of the above included).

If we can find a sim or game that ticks most of the boxes for us, then that's great, & we should stick with it. But no sim is ever going to please all of the people all of the time.

Awesome, thanks for the input....

I don’t get how your say you’ve raced sims for years, including Project CARS, and then claim GT has become too much of a sim....

GT is an arcade game compared to PCARS. If you could drive in PCARS, jumping into GT is like picking up NFS or GTA, the physics and tire model are a yoke (not to mention no weather, no damage, no LiveTrack 2.0, etc). There’s no concern for tire temps, brake temps, engine temps, or engine wear. Gran Turismo is a simcade, not a sim.

If you wouldn’t have mentioned PCARS, I’d say your entitled to the opinion. But saying you’ve played PCARS, and then saying GT is too much of a sim, that’s just nonsense.

Thanks for your reply, but I have to concede I did not have that many hours on pcars.., however Geoff Crammond F1, and F1 2, GT 1 2 3 4, forza 1, 2, oh and GTA v, lol

Agree , Pcars is much more harder than GTsport....even with a wheel...

Have u played Asseto Corsa ?
No but would like to....

After checking your stats, I have to question your definition of 'reasonable sim racer'. I'm pretty sure your definition is different to mine so you really need to look at yourself before looking for things to blame.

Find time to practise more and get some consistency under your belt. If you're still way off, look for tips on youtube. Plenty of good track guides out there.

I don't know if subliminal messaging is involved here but watch a lot of the tops driver's videos as well, especially the practise as watching the correct line lap after lap soon sinks in. I watch kie25, super gt, nicor, tidgney, z28 and eerieissss regularly and wish there were more. Great practise with zero effort.

Have a look at @EERIEISSSS youtube channel too. Starts the story using a pad with all assists turned on, to a first wheel and the struggle to learn it and a quest for A+ rating. He's now a solid A rating and still improving.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqPNuJUqqn9QBZiq1QEW_UA
Thanks , am on his Discord, and watch all the others. Please note that my rank, is veingvrebuilt from upper end of B DR, and S as, cheers

Why do you insult him? You can crap what he wrote, but its not correct to say he himself is crap.

I also don't agree to OP, for me he's just a disappointed player.

But I would never write to somebody "you're crap" when he didn't majorily attack me before.
Taken in good heart, I did invite that reply, but cheers.

Sigh..................... the OP is in the majority of the player base and this is why will continue to have "chase the rabbit", smooth fantasy tracks, cartoon cars and a glorified arcade game.

There is no need to abuse him or cast dispersions on his character as he is in effect the GT franchise pin up star. This is what the game has been tailored to appeal to and why all the campaign stuff is so easy. i would even bet the AI is based on his (assumed?) driving style, dive bomb into corners, miss the apex and be very slow out so you have no idea where the car will be placed on corner exit so you can achieve a clean overtake :-(

I wont even get into how hardware manufacturers love this type of guy to too. He needs to improve so he needs better gear. Obviously a hydraulic load cell brake pedal, a direct drive wheel, a better cockpit, perhaps some racing shoes etc, etc ;-) Oh and Ferrari racing wheel, especially if it has lots of LEDs for the rev counter ;-)

Lol lol lol

Holy sextuple-posts, Batman!

Friendly tip, @Knightsabre13 - you can respond to multiple people at once via either the +Quote button, or hitting Reply on each post before the Post Reply button. 👍

Welcome to the 'Planet!

Hi guys

Thanks for all your views and input, as I said in the beginning, I'm not trying to whinge, I'd had a bad set of races, after winning 4 at Saint Croix, in the Ford, was somewhat disheartened when not being able to get a good lap in at Interlagos, think I was over 3 seconds off, maybe more, so kinda vented here. I will persevere as always, i ghink alot of you are right, so thanks again.

Cheers boys and girls, see you on track....!

Holy sextuple-posts, Batman!

Friendly tip, @Knightsabre13 - you can respond to multiple people at once via either the +Quote button, or hitting Reply on each post before the Post Reply button. 👍

Welcome to the 'Planet!
Oh....cheers

The harder a game is doesn't make it more of a 'Sim' since racecars are becoming faster with more grip year on year. The real life components in a game is what makes it a 'Sim' i.e (Damage, Fuel, Tire Wear etc)

Trying not to be a winger, but After racing Sims, and GT, PC, F1 etc for many years, I regard myself as a reasonable sim racer, however I am at a loss as to understand why GTS, (Polyphony) has made GR3, At least, so bloody hard to control the cars on many circuits. Lift Off overseer, Oversteer in General, track limit penalties that are beyond fair. Cars spin out even when not under power if they even so much as look at piece of grass or some curbing.This is a GAME, not a full blown sim, I am not Lewis Hamilton. The game has got worse since the new tyre model. I want to drive Sim, like, but not full blown sim, I want to race without the fear of destroying my SR, and DR, when it's not even my fault. I have had to rebuild this at least five or six times now. I have invested £500 on a rig, so am fairly serious, but the top 24 stars are probably in to thousands on their rigs, which makes it very difficult to even get a look at the top ten online time trials. I used to have a go at those that punt off other driver, but I think I know why they do it now, it's because the skill level to attain respectable times and rank is just too high, so why bother trying to drive properly!!, I know many will disagree, especially those that use a controller. Which although not terribly smooth, responds to inputs very quickly, unlike a wheel Which is more progressive, Traction Control is all or nothing and frankly is just frustratingly inconsistent.
I would like to hear what others think, has GTS just gone too far into Sim territory, or am I just crap.

http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=5116557#km
If those are your stats I would say you need to practice more. If you put in a good hour of qualifying per day on a particular track it will make a huge difference in your lap times. I usually just race the daily C race, the others are too short for me, but I will typically practice for 20-30 minutes then go to the top time in my region and watch the replay to see where I am slow and if we are running the same lines. If you do that you must pay particular attention to the sector times because thats how you can really zero in on where you are slow. After doing that I go back to practicing more, especially focusing on the areas where I lose time according to the leader boards. I consistently gain a couple of tenths every 5-7 laps and once you learn to be decent at a certain track it should stick with you.

I wouldn’t say I’m the best driver out there by any means, but I just focus on consistency and then build up confidence as I go. I would recommend giving yourself more margin in braking and acceleration, be smooth in steering input. And then gradually build up your speed. Turn your engine down and try fuel saving strategies which often work very well offline and online in my experience.

Braking in GTS is very different to Assetto Corsa and other games where you don’t have to be very accurate. Don’t be a no assists hero. GT3 cars have traction control and I think ABS. So use them at medium levels.

I have a Logitech G29 on a wheel stand. It works well, does everything I think most people will ever need, even if it does feel notchy.

I find gr3 very stable in GTS. They ride the kerbs and bumps like a limo. Assetto Corsa is much harder to control

Trying not to be a winger, but After racing Sims, and GT, PC, F1 etc for many years, I regard myself as a reasonable sim racer, however I am at a loss as to understand why GTS, (Polyphony) has made GR3, At least, so bloody hard to control the cars on many circuits. Lift Off overseer, Oversteer in General, track limit penalties that are beyond fair. Cars spin out even when not under power if they even so much as look at piece of grass or some curbing.This is a GAME, not a full blown sim, I am not Lewis Hamilton. The game has got worse since the new tyre model. I want to drive Sim, like, but not full blown sim, I want to race without the fear of destroying my SR, and DR, when it's not even my fault. I have had to rebuild this at least five or six times now. I have invested £500 on a rig, so am fairly serious, but the top 24 stars are probably in to thousands on their rigs, which makes it very difficult to even get a look at the top ten online time trials. I used to have a go at those that punt off other driver, but I think I know why they do it now, it's because the skill level to attain respectable times and rank is just too high, so why bother trying to drive properly!!, I know many will disagree, especially those that use a controller. Which although not terribly smooth, responds to inputs very quickly, unlike a wheel Which is more progressive, Traction Control is all or nothing and frankly is just frustratingly inconsistent.
I would like to hear what others think, has GTS just gone too far into Sim territory, or am I just crap.
I find that only the mid engined Gr.3 cars require a tiny bit more concentration than the others. Having said that, I think they are all pretty easy to drive except maybe the Beetle. Remember, you can't drive them all the same and you might not be as good as you think you are. Just a thought.

I agree, i hate this new tyre model.

Why do you insult him? You can crap what he wrote, but its not correct to say he himself is crap.

I also don't agree to OP, for me he's just a disappointed player.

But I would never write to somebody "you're crap" when he didn't majorily attack me before.
To be fair, the OP did ask. Read the last sentence.

I predominantly use controller and find that if you drive a car like you should, you get good lap times out of it. Toss it into corners, or jam the throttle on mid corner and you'll spin, like you would in reality.

I also have a g29 ($300NZ) and my setup consists of a $10NZ swivel chair, and a $15 fold out desk.

Sigh..................... the OP is in the majority of the player base and this is why will continue to have "chase the rabbit", smooth fantasy tracks, cartoon cars and a glorified arcade game.

There is no need to abuse him or cast dispersions on his character as he is in effect the GT franchise pin up star. This is what the game has been tailored to appeal to and why all the campaign stuff is so easy. i would even bet the AI is based on his (assumed?) driving style, dive bomb into corners, miss the apex and be very slow out so you have no idea where the car will be placed on corner exit so you can achieve a clean overtake :-(

I wont even get into how hardware manufacturers love this type of guy to too. He needs to improve so he needs better gear. Obviously a hydraulic load cell brake pedal, a direct drive wheel, a better cockpit, perhaps some racing shoes etc, etc ;-) Oh and Ferrari racing wheel, especially if it has lots of LEDs for the rev counter ;-)
This is very good I like everything you said in this comment. Unfortunately, the a.i. Has to cater to the lowest level drivers for the most part. I think the answer is a more adjustable difficulty like F1 2017.

I believe you're thinking of another Polyphony game:

37207-Motor_Toon_Grand_Prix_[NTSC-U]-1.jpg

There are no cartoon cars in GT Sport.

Yes there are. They are called VGTs ;-)

This is very good I like everything you said in this comment. Unfortunately, the a.i. Has to cater to the lowest level drivers for the most part. I think the answer is a more adjustable difficulty like F1 2017.

PCARS 2 has an adjustable slider going from 1-10 and has the best AI I have tried. Having said that it is by no means perfect by any means but you can get it to a level where it can be enjoyable. Proviso is: with some cars at some tracks. Also you can use AI to fill up grids in online lobbies so effectively you can simulate GT Sport races ;-) ;-) :-)

Also there isn't any chase the rabbit stuff. PD could learn a lot from this game ;-) Just a shame the physics and day bugs spoil it >:-(

I use a t300 but I only bought it because the last video game I got good at was street fighter 2. Can’t use those controllers with all the buttons sorry never played piano. I need a wheel to be able to play. My wheel rig cost less than ten bucks and it is super rigid. Regular chair pedals on mat with heavy box to hold em. The equipment is sweet it’s my driving that needs work.
I used a t80 at first and did pretty good just very challenging to unwind out of turns but can be done. Kinda race more by eyes than feel.
I kinda don’t see this big sim v arcade split. People say one sim is better than another but how many of them have driven even a racing kart much less a formula car or gt3?
Driving a video game is a far cry from a real vehicle no g force no butt feel there’s just less feedback to use.
I do find on certain car/track combos writhing GT sport I do use aids in sport mode. Unless you make a break away there’s a good chance you will end up needing it, or at least I do.
I think chase view with a controller can be quite advantageous for many reasons, you just watch the car and see what it can do.
I enjoy the challenge of facing controller guys as well as the accessibility it provides which means what? Bigger pool of folks to race! That’s a good thing even if they do kick your ass.
FYI, when I got this game I was turned on to a “sim” guy from a friend who told me to check out his site. The guy literally lives with momma and he’s not young!
I’m not trying to instigate you folks who puff up and call yourselves sim racers but it’s not my thing. I am not interested in spending my time getting crushed by people who have literally unlimited time to spend on games and car setups for certain tracks.
I think GT sport hits a real nice sweet spot for any video game. I hope people continue participating so I have people to race!

CHAKA

If you can't be arsed to get better doing something you seem to enjoy, why stereotype others who do? They're not all basement dwellers and you'll be surprised to hear a lot of them work for a living.

...and skills usually stick around. Once you've learned them, you can rub them in the faces of the people who haven't.

CHAKA...CHAKA KHAN... Maybe not...

I dont know... I kinda feel like Lewis Hamilton right now.

Lewis Hamilton: 1:27.3

Me: 1:27.3

:gtpflag:

Damn great lap!
Even with the extra DRS usage you get in Sport you are in a (visually) launch spec W08 vs an almost finished W08 with the fastest/best qualifier alive!
I think that shows that, either you should be along side Lewis in F1, or perhaps the W08 is both too easy to drive fast or too fast in the game :lol:

Back