Nurburgring tales (Post your cool nurburgring stories here!)

United States
The U.S
Blu_Subaru22
Introduction

I'm no good at introductions. I'm Lancia Stratos. You know, at first I just thought Nurburgring was "Just a track". But for some reason, it prompts a lot of crazy things to happen. (Good, Bad, Cleverness) Instead of me posting what I did, I decided to open a thread for anyone to post their story about their adventures within the track. I would like to start off with a story that happened to me yesterday.

The Ballad Of The Volkswagen Beetle

Oh yeah! Today I had completed my collection! The very last car that has filled the last space of my favorites was a Volkswagen W12 Nardo Concept. My favorite color with my favorite ride! After that purchase, I felt like I had no reason to spend money anymore. But something caught my attention the next time I had arrived at the German car lot. It was a black car. An old one too. It was the Volkswagen Beetle made in 1949. Seen here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXK63kvUi6U

Das auto! This car is a celeb! The talking Volkswagen was availiable for $40,000. (Ouch!) :ouch: But at least I had 3.5 million dollars in cash. So I decided to drive it in the legendary Nurburgring. I gave it stock tires, Set the difficulty on S rank, and set it on 2 laps. So the race began. But first I looked at the starting grid:

1. Honda Life step Van
2. Volkswagen beetle 49 (Not me)
3. Mazda Carol Deluxe
4. Volkswagen beetle 49

The car was only able to obtain 4 gears at 90 MPH as top speed. It felt boring for a while. But then I switch to cockpit view. It felt very fast and realistic! If only I had 1940's German music it would of been perfect timing. Brakes where never needed except for 1 or 2 parts. Sometimes my car would get stuck at 30 MPH because of a hill or two. My foes where long gone but the other beetle had quite a rivalry with me. He passed me a few times. One time he was 1 second ahead of me. But the carousel and downhills launched me back to first.
Now i was finished........with lap one. More than 12 minutes had passed by. The rival beetle was nowhere in sight. 3 seconds was all it took for him to vanish. The beetle had a peaceful drive. A clean lap was a possibilty. And the feeling of seeing the cockpit of a ancient automobile was cool. Seeing the scenery pass by was a great expierence! Finally, lap two has finally came to an end. I finished first. Finishing at a total timing of 25'45.697. Quite an exhausting record. (I must have no life! Heh heh!)

Well thats my story for today. Well GT racers, go ahead and post your stories on the famous Nurburgring. Or post what you think about the story. I should try to post up a good story at leadt once a week. But most importantly I would love to hear your stories of the treacherous track in GTPSP.

Keep on driving!

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
That was a thoroughly entertaining tale! I look forward to next edition of "Tales from the Green Hell". ;)

As for me, well it's about a Volkswagen Golf, the 'Ring, and a desire to kick a nasty habit...

In every previous edition of GT, I've always used Automatic transmission as I could never seem to master Manual. So I decided to set about changing that.

The Challenge: Take to the Nurburgring in a Volkswagen Golf and not quit till I had begun to master Manual gear shifting.

I figured that if I could get the hang of it here, then it would be a doddle everywhere else. After roughly an hour, and plenty of "verbal boo boos", I had done it. Now GT seems like a totally different beast to me, and I feel even more connected with the car. So now I exclusively use Manual shifting, all thanks to a determined mindset and the intense concentration the 'Ring demands. I've never looked back since. :)

Thats great to hear man! I guess the ring brings out the inner racer in anybody. I should try MT transmission at one point. Don't worry! More stories are yet to come.:sly:

The Golf has been my kinda car if it came to street racing and tuning. It comes in a lot of appealing styles. Good luck with the Manual Transmission!

Stratos.

ahhhh. the infamous 'Ring. The hours of racing that brought me so close to heart attacks or murder, and the possibility of suicide. I'm sure you remeber the endurance races from previous titles.
I remember one cool summer afternoon, after watching formula 1, i decided that i was gonna take the polyphony digital grand prix car onto the 'Ring, and have some fun.
heh, oh and it was fun, what with all the ups and the downs, the lefts and the rights, the distance that always keeps you guessing when the end is gonna finally arrive.
That night, i set the AI at S rank difficulty, and ended up racing 4 laps with those guys breathing down my neck.
there was no happy ending in site, i got the "last lap gitters" and crashed. in the first sector of the 'Ring, where you need to go slow so as to by pass the tricky curves i decided to floor it to gain som eground "just in case".
oh well i got ground in my face and called it a night, but all in all, this game is what keeps me coming back to sony and their Play Station.

I feel you there man! I can never get a Formula racer to go properly on the green ring of death. Keep trying! Your story will set as an example as a goal that most drivers want to accomplish.👍

hehe....im glad to be of assistance to my GT comrades... hahaha the 'Ring is either your best friend or your worst enemy hahaha, i love it!

oh well...practice does make perfect. when i get my wireless up and running again i'm gonna starts participating in those races you guys are always doing, and maybe i can host a race on the 'Ring.
Till then im just gonna keep racing unitl i get the entire car collection and a full gold trophy count for challenges

When I first started I would drive every car I bought around the 'ring. I was pleasantly surprised by some (Acura NSX), and disappointed by others (Audi R8 LMS). Then I got online one night someone shared their cars with me. I went from 100 to 4400. I don't know if I will ever get around to driving all 830 cars around the ring, but I am going to try. Its a great track to find the strengths and weakness of a car and I try to give every car a chance, even the Daihatsu Midget.

4000+ cars? Sheesh man! :lol:

well, if someone out there has the patience to ride a old 1949 beetle, i'm sure that same amount if patience can hold out with the midget

hahaha....i could never summon the patience to do that. I would break the PSP before i finish. Can you even imagine how slow that car is, and how long and boring the run would be?

Geez! i don't even want to think about it

There was this one time when I went for a little Time Attack around "The Ring" in my Dodge Viper GTS. During the rolling start, I noticed that the accelerator wasn't on full throttle. (I had TCS off. Well I do everytime.) And I found out that my Viper was on Normal N3 tires all around. So I went on with my Time Attack, trying as hard as I could to set a fast lap using N3's. Corner after corner I flew by and came about the Carousel. We all know that the Carousel is a banked left-hand corner which has some sort of rumble strips along the inner bank that tell you it is the right line to drive. Then the inevitable happened. My rear tires lost traction for a moment and sent my Viper sideways. Thinking fast, I quickly counter-steered and drifted my way through the corner. Amazingly I made it out without losing control. So I continued driving the track and set a lap time of 8'xx'xxx. I reckon it's pretty slow. Haha

well in my expirience of nurburgring there is just one perfect way to do it, i am talking about of course of the migthy and legendary mclaren f1 gtr race car, it is a dream drive that car over the ring, as well the enzo ferrari but the mclaren f1 have something special about it, you have without everything(no tcs, no driving assist,) with the racing tires r3 and profesional physics i just a lot of fun, you guys should try it out, and discover this because a friend of mine just get forza 3(the stupid copy of gt for the xbox), he was got at that game, and we made a little challenge, who can make the fastest laps over the ring in the oposite consoles(me in the xbox and my buddy in the psp), of course my friend beat me in the gt psp but incredibly i beat his best time in the forza by 5 or 6 seconds, after all of that we just agree that forza is more realistic, technical, bla, bla , bla.....but the real fun is on the gt, it just is, the track on the forza is wider, like a racetrack but the fact is compering it to the real thing(watching videos of the real world) it just isnt, is a marvelous road , and i also mention the enzo ferrari because if you take a clean lap over it on the psp, it look examcly the same in the rel world, and as far as i see it it feels the same,( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JtaMLn_lKU ).

conclution if you are going to have real fun on the psp just take the enzo or the mclaren f1, but i say that is more fun with the maclaren f1.

Vipers and no tcs is one heck of a challenge! At least it wasn't the toughtest of them all. (Oh yes, there are cars far worse than that.)

I still didn't get the Mclaren yet. Hopefully i might have enough. I never drove a F-1 Mclaren in nurburgring in my life. But I gotta keep waiting.

The McLaren on Nurburgring sounds interesting. I might try it later and tell you guys what happened. ;)

Raise the big spoilers! Its the Superbird Gang!

I felt like racing the superbird one afternoon. I went to the green ring to drive it. But my foes were not muscle cars they were instead Nissan GT-R's and BMW's. So I decided to go with single manufactured race. 2 laps with S3 tires. And began the race with my orange muscle machine.

Lap 1: Passed the 2 green superbirds instantly. But the gray one wasn't what you called a push over. I was in second for a good 1: 41 seconds. The downhill ramp gave me a boost to pass him. As I acsended uphill, I had to drag the heavy thing on the 2 part curve. Still alive after a good 3 minutes, I had to drift the big muscle mobile twice to get through another 2 part curve. Nothing went wrong for that part and the gray Superbird was still on my tail not willing to shake loose at any minute. At the carosel, 5 minutes into the race, the bright green Superbird was now trailing me. But it kept swerving left to right on each hill. I could tell by the loud tire screeching. By the time I got to the long straight road, I felt nervous because the superbird had a top speed of 130 mph. If they drafted behind me, I wasn't a happy camper. But lucky me they kept swerving and I kept the lead for the first lap at 8'30.941 :sly:

Lap 2: Nothing special happened for the first minute and a half. Until when I looked back, the dark green superbird was trailing very close to me. I had to keep my distance by not going in front of him so he wouldn't draft behind me. 3'47 had passed by and I drove a tad bit sloppy. Just seconds away from the carosel, I crashed head on to a wall, letting the dark green pass me.:scared: But lucky for me I squeezed through the dark green car on that carosel just in time. Because typically I would lose my opponets there. The race continued from there and I finished there at 16'59. I guess I need more prctice with it because I almost got my butt melted on the wall. :ill:

My friend and I both have GTPSP, and we always race eachother. We always pick cars with similar stats. For a race on the ring, I picked a BMW M3 GTR, and my friend picked a Ruf RGT. What followed was the most epic battle, ever! We were neck and neck the entire two laps. He barely got ahead of me right before the finish line. the difference was less than a 100th of a second!

I wish I had a friend who has GTPSP who is the same level as me or maybe a bit better so that I'll try and be better too.

So now I exclusively use Manual shifting, all thanks to a determined mindset and the intense concentration the 'Ring demands. I've never looked back since. :)
Same here, although it was the old GTHD demo that got me into favouring manual over automatic. Now, I hate racing automatic as you cannot always hold the gear you want at the revs you want. The suggested gear that flashes up at you is not always the correct one, as I found out rather quickly in the latest Time Trial demo.

Yeah some say 2nd gear but 4th gear works like a charm. I don't know why they tell us this "false" information. :/

its not false comrade...its just for those who are amateurs in the game...just to get used to the track. That how i did it in GT1...follow every direction get used to the car and track and then let her go...step on it and go at your own pace...you see what i mean?

You have a point right there. Yeah I see what you mean. But I did put quotation marks around false. :P

I wish I had a friend who has GTPSP who is the same level as me or maybe a bit better so that I'll try and be better too.

Yeah, it can be quite fun! I've always played GT, but my friend has been a Forza fanboy. I convinced him to get GTPSP, so his Forza skills kinda carry over. There's always competing to be had!

Friends...my dream is to go to the Nurbergring for atleast a weekend, before i go die in italy in my beautiful villa with all kinds of Lambos parked around a renaissance inspired fountain.
Ahhhh....one can only dream ;)

Back