Nurburgring tales (Post your cool nurburgring stories here!)

Drag Racing at the Ring

Me and my buddies decided to go for a stroll around the ring of trees. we were all riding our muscle cars. I was riding the Plymouth Superbird. My friends were driving a Shelby Mustang,and the other one was driving a Buick Special. ( Cheap ol mother:censored:) So then, this crazy idea popped up out of the blue:

Buick: Hey guys! See that long straight road over there?

Me: We all do. :dunce:

Buick: Why don't we all line up towards that checkpoint and race each other til the finish. Kinda like drag racing. 💡

Mustang: Sounds good with me! I'm ready to kick some 🤬 American style.

Me: Alright lets do it.

I was constantly thinking I was gonna lose because I thought that the Mustang would have a chance at outruning me. The Buick..........what do you think? So we met at the final checkpoint. We began the count.

Buick: Listen to the countdown. We are blasting off on go so pay attention and don't be a deaf mute.

I thought that he was gonna countdown from 5 to 0 IN ENGLISH. He counts in French, throwing us off guard. :banghead:

He blasted off, I was trailing him. I thought maybe I can draft me away from the mustang. Turns out the buddy in the Mustang was far behind me.

Me: Meh, second doesn't feel like a bad kick to the balls to me.

That was my thought. Until he was so boastful, he looked back and did not pay attention. Resulting in........

2175966436_a9830e756d.jpg

Boom! He hits a guard rail. I over pass him. And I end up taking the checkered flag! :) As for the buddy in the Buick............

Buick: 🤬🤬🤬🤬:banghead::banghead::irked:

He took second. The Mustang, third but he had a really good laugh. :lol:

The Nurburgring has been my favorite course since the GT4. Right now in the GTPSP, the S rank will be my worthwhile training. But something was gone wrong...

I was taking my newly-bought Bugatti Veyron for a spin there in the 'Ring for 5 laps. I simply turned off all driving aids and went Professional, plus, S rank. Then the starting grid was not I thought supposed to be.

1. Bugatti Veyron 16.4 '09
2. GT by Citroen '08
3.Bugatti Veyron 16.4 '09
4.Bugatti Veyron 16.4 "09
(mine)

Just past a few corners on 4th lap, on the Flugpatz (the uphill which eventually you brake on the slope) everyone, including me spun out. This gave me the chance to recover and pull away quickly. On Aremberg, just past the checkpoint and I'm 22 seconds away from them. But then on the Carousel, I crashed and spun out again, feeling it was the worst lap I ever made on my history. Still, they caught up. The 5th lap, they did the same mistake again when I'm trying to overtake them. Until the Citroen caught up. I thought I would just quit and on the long straight.... trying to shake the slipstream and I spun out for the 3rd time and arrived 2nd.

Phew... I was tired by then. 5 laps everyday.... and all driving aids off in a Veyron, makes me want challenge my friends with every driving aid off.

The Nurburgring has been my favorite course since the GT4. Right now in the GTPSP, the S rank will be my worthwhile training. But something was gone wrong...

I was taking my newly-bought Bugatti Veyron for a spin there in the 'Ring for 5 laps. I simply turned off all driving aids and went Professional, plus, S rank. Then the starting grid was not I thought supposed to be.

2. GT by Citroen '08
(mine)

Just past a few corners on 4th lap, on the Flugpatz (the uphill which eventually you brake on the slope) everyone, including me spun out. This gave me the chance to recover and pull away quickly. On Aremberg, just past the checkpoint and I'm 22 seconds away from them. But then on the Carousel, I crashed and spun out again, feeling it was the worst lap I ever made on my history. Still, they caught up. The 5th lap, they did the same mistake again when I'm trying to overtake them. Until the Citroen caught up. I thought I would just quit and on the long straight.... trying to shake the slipstream and I spun out for the 3rd time and arrived 2nd.

Phew... I was tired by then. 5 laps everyday.... and all driving aids off in a Veyron, makes me want challenge my friends with every driving aid off.

That takes a lot of guts. You know, you can make it easier by driving R3s. All your opponets will end up being gt by citroen.

I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate a GT-one race car to go through the ring with no driving aids. But to come up second is still monumental.

2. GT by Citroen '08
(mine)

What tires were you using? I have only ever seen Citroen GTs and I think the Veyron has R1s by default.

I have been taking older cars (up to 1970) around the ring on N1s. It takes a lot of patience, and I never do more than 1 lap at a time. The MB 300 SL Coupe is fast, but twitchy.

What tires were you using? I have only ever seen Citroen GTs and I think the Veyron has R1s by default.

I have been taking older cars (up to 1970) around the ring on N1s. It takes a lot of patience, and I never do more than 1 lap at a time. The MB 300 SL Coupe is fast, but twitchy.

I used S3s.

As for the 300SL, don't you think it's a bit heavy from the back?

A Nurburgring drinking game? Now I've seen everything

No alcohol was used in this one just to give you all a heads up.

Me and 2 of my friends were being stupid as usual. We all have our GTPSPs and we all said funny remarks on what happened while we were all racing in La Sarthe. As one of my friends in a Ferrari beat us all in the dust, he constantly talked about how much of a bad car it is when driving with sports tires. So then, after my friends seen this thread on their iphones, they decided to do this:

Friend 1: Hey dude, you posting stuff bout that green ring huh?

Me: Yea you noticed huh? I can't really think of anything exciting to tell about this track as if right now.

Friend 1: How bout we have a drinking game based on it?

Me: You do realise that none of us are even close to the legal age of drinking right?

Friend 1: Yea. But I got something better and legal.

So what did he recommend? He decided to make a drink out of:

Cherry Coke
Orange juice (with pulp)
Lemon juice
Skim Milk

Friend 1: Alright, we take a test run with the Enzo Ferrari with Normal Tires. 1 lap, and for each time anyone of us falls of the track or crash, we take a drink out of this weird nasty mix drink. 1 fall out of the track equals one cup. Got it?

Friend 2: Oh, you know you only made this one up because I talked mad 🤬 about that car.

Me: Who cares! Lets have fun with this one.

Like always, we drive with professional physics so that didn't really help out my case.

Well, buddy 2 was up. For the start, it looked like he was going smoothly. Until he reached the first uphill of the track. Not only did he touch the grass, the hits a wall as well. Therefore, 2 drinks right there.

Friend 2: What the crap!??

Me: :lol:

Friend 2: Shut up! Don't laugh at that!

Well, he got back on the road. My other friend was already preparing the drink. :lol: Now he was about to reach th second uphill. Now he is moving slower than before.

Friend 2: Yeah! I got through the hill this time!👍

But did not keep his balance ont the turns that approached after the hill.

Me: Ha! Another drink mister!

This was his third drink.

He handled his car with care up to the point he was on a high speed part of the track. Unfortunately, He did not heed the warning on the left turn within that road and ends up understeering on that part. He ends up pulling donuts and hits the guard rail twice. He ends up with 4 more drinks because of this wipeout.

Friend 2: OH MY 🤬 GOD WHAT THE 🤬:mad:

Now comes the Carosel.

Friend 2: Oh hell no! This time i'm going 25. I don't care!

Now he reached the long straight road. He kept his car at gear 4. He really didn't want to take any chances. So he finished the lap at 10'46xxx and with with 7 disgusting mix drinks. And to describe how bad these drinks were, the friend with the 7 drinks puked after drink number 5. But still, he had to drink the rest.

Alright it was my turn.

The very first turn I came across I slew down to the slowest I can get. The first hill I did better than my bud. I slew down to gear 2. As I approached the second uphill, I wiped out after the left wheel touched the grass. I had one drink right there. Afterward, I had to be more careful. I had to go at least 1 gear lower than the expected number. As I approached the carosel, I wiped out and had to take 2 more drinks. 2 more minutes within the track, I was extremely paranoid when it came to going on the downhill parts of the track. But I still fell out and I had to take another. That was drink number 4. Lucky for me, the rest was smooth sailing. But I still had to taste 4 glasses of that awful drink. :yuck:

Now it was Friend 1's turn. As I like to express how bad his run was it would be so time consuming for me to tell how his run went. Lets just say it went so bad, he had to have 19 drinks.

Friend 1: AHHHHHH 🤬!

Gosh, no words can express how bad he had it. Well, except maybe the F bomb. Hours later, dinner was served. we had to decline because our stomachs were weak from that Ferrari game. :yuck:

Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9joi_f-LnTk
And then be inspired to do a lap in the Yellow Bird on crappy tyres

I enjoyed the video: sometimes, when the wheels lost grip and I heard that sound, together with the Ruf's one, I was almost moved... not to talk about the big turn after the straight: 2 wheels were so close to the grass!

So, as you had said, I felt the need of a lap with the Yellow Bird and N2 Tyres...
I haven't made many races on the Nordschliefe since I got GTPSP, so I was stuck with C-Class challenge: "Well, it won't be very difficult... I'll just try the BTR by myself, winning this..."... I hadn't realized HOW DIFFICULT could be to drive that car!
In the first turn (the first!) I went on the grass, and the 3 Civic's in front of me went far enough not to be seen. In the whole first part, I perhaps managed to complete 3-4 corners with all the 4 wheels in the track; most of the times, I ended on the guard rail or, worse, completely lost control (and time)
Only after that long straight (which ends with a long left corner and, then, with a right "hairpin"), I started driving decently. Not good, as the gap remained about 15-17 secs, but decently.
I approached the group of Civic's (One was a 80s racing one, other 2 were 90s Spoon/Type R) twice: the first time it was after 6 minutes and a half, and I reached the 2nd place before ending on the guard rail again...
But then (Don't know why) I started driving a bit better; managed to drift in the slower corners and not to fly off the track in the faster ones.
I saw the 2nd and the 3rd Civic during the last straight: with my 470HP versus their <200, it wasn't difficult to catch them; in the following corner, I went very slowly not to lose control, but the 1st civic (Spoon one, yellow coloured) was too far...
I think the next corners were guided by a miracle or something like that: always drifting, I managed not to lose the car's rear and I approached the Spoon when only 3 corners were left.
Braking a little late, I passed the Civic, and kept it behind me until the last corner...
During the last corner, I was so tense that shifted in 4th instead of the 2nd gear: trying to go out from the corner fast, I shifted back to 2nd but the car completely lost grip and was something like 45° right to the normal direction of the track.
Even more tense, someway I kept the car in the right direction: the Civic went for a tenth of second 1st, but then the Ruf regained speed and I crossed the finish line after a shameful 9'24, 0.2 seconds before the Spoon Civic. I couldn't believe I had won that race, even if my enthusiasm faded as soon as I realized I had only completed a "C" class event.

I'm sorry for my English; thanks to Sinbad who made me understand WHAT understeer actually is.

That chap clearly has no fear. I got sweaty palms just from sitting on my chair and watching that, now imagine what would happen if I was in that car...

What a joy to watch.
Also, I attempted this in GTPSP, only to crash monumentally at the flugplatz.:guilty:

I think as a demonstration of just how good GTPSP is, a well driven lap of the ring in the Yellow Bird on poor tyres is brilliant. It just looks right, even when compared to a real-life video like this.

I'm regularly trying to do the "perfect" lap, just so I can watch the replay afterwards :)

Now if only I could turn off the damn smoke........

I wonder which one is faster in the ring the 360 or the beetle? I think that would be an interesting match up. I might want to challenge my friend into doing that.

Raced the Saleen S7 against 3 other Supercars. Don't remember the time, but the car was very quick and agile. I even got a drift on the harpin that comes after the flugplatz and the long straight, and it didn't do the usual bit of snapping in the other direction.

Just love it :drool:

And we CAN do it in GT4/GTpsp :sly:

I think this video it's different from the other one posted 💡

I was blazing along the 'Ring in a Subaru 360 at 50mph. That was an awesome 17:58.xx

I wonder which one is faster in the ring the 360 or the beetle? I think that would be an interesting match up. I might want to challenge my friend into doing that.

I did it in 13.14.435 in the Beetle with N3 tires. It was in a race and the AI was in Fiat 500's. They were over a minute behind. With the RBE they might be closer in time to the Subaru 360 than the Beetle. I think there is also a Honda with a 360cc engine.

So are we going to try to find the slowest car around the ring? Should we go with the tires that come on the vehicle by default, or decide to use N1s?

I am going to try the Subaru 360 next.

I did it in 13.14.435 in the Beetle with N3 tires. It was in a race and the AI was in Fiat 500's. They were over a minute behind. With the RBE they might be closer in time to the Subaru 360 than the Beetle. I think there is also a Honda with a 360cc engine.

So are we going to try to find the slowest car around the ring? Should we go with the tires that come on the vehicle by default, or decide to use N1s?

I am going to try the Subaru 360 next.

just dont fall asleep doing it haha
when you go up hills, drop a gear or two :D

good luck!

Well, hopefully by today I can race my friend in his subaru 360 against my Volkswagen beetle (Das Auto!). I can post how thats gonna go today.

Back