Nvidia GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 Discussion

I also have a 21:9 monitor and love it.

Sure, not all games natively support that aspect ratio out of the box, but with some tinkering many of those games can be made to work with it... though visual effects may be broken by doing so in some cases (screen going red from taking damage, for instance, might still only cover the center 16:9 portion of the screen) thus some games you might just have to tolerate black borders on the sides... which IMO isn't that bad. It's like you're gaming on a 1080p monitor with ridiculously wide side bezels.

Plus, outside of 3D gaming, a 21:9 monitor can be a godsend. It's damn near like having a seamless dual-monitor setup... excellent for productivity and multi-tasking.

Lots of 1080p 1440p Benchmarks HERE for the 1080/1070 vs Titan X & 980ti

@neema_t
Suggest you cut a bit of cardboard to the size of a 34" 21:9
I found it too small for my own cockpit being used to having a moderate sized 40" 1080p TV.
My custom res 21:9 is 38" with only the basic HD530 display options at approx 30" from my face.

I would say to consider seeing if any 2016 4K TV models this year also support the native 100Hz/120Hz. Newest UHD models should although not however have refresh as good as a gaming monitor. So depends what you like/dislike.

It is possible this year an affordable 50"/55" 4K Tv with:
  • 100Hz or upto 120Hz support at 1080p
  • 60Hz support at 4K
  • Good backlighting no issues with borders / 21:9 movies
  • Compatible for custom 21:9 resolutions of 2560x1080 @ 60Hz & 1920x810 @ 60Hz or 120Hz

Personally I would like these options in one display for a cockpit and experience 21:9 over 45" or even 50" not a smallish 34" screen for racing immersion.

Poor images but my comparison

Last edited:
Like I told @dice1998, I am going to rub the 1070 all over my body when I get it. :lol:

Better get the extended warranty and, from the looks of that cooler, the emergency services on speed dial!

Suggest you cut a bit of cardboard to the size of a 34" 21:9
I found it too small for my own cockpit being used to having a moderate sized 40" 1080p TV.

I calculated the dimensions of a 34" 21:9 and it's too big for the desk in my flat, which is too small to buy a bigger desk for. I think it's 31" wide and the height of a 27", which is as big as I can realistically fit. The 23" I have now looks just about in proportion, after all. I don't have a cockpit any more, either, in fact I bought a GT Omega wheel stand so I can set it up in front of the TV (which is terrible and I think it'll be my next upgrade after my graphics card, monitor and possibly CPU, motherboard and RAM if my friend buys my current ones off me) so I'll probably continue to do that if I get a 16:9. If I get a 21:9 I suppose I'd use that with the aid of a separate floor stand (so I can put it right behind the wheel) or something.

tumblr_inline_mm8wl1vrLF1qz4rgp.jpg

Hmm, RX 480 vs GTX 1070.

5.5 TFLOPS vs 6.5 TFLOPS... 84.6% the performance, give or take depending on the game.
$200 VS $380... 52.6% the cost, give or take depending on the scalpers.

RX 480 gives you 27.5 GFLOPS per dollar.
GTX 1070 gives you 17.1 GFLOPS per dollar.

Not too shabby, AMD... not too shabby.

That also means we can expect 970 prices on the used market to drop drastically. Those should go well under 200 now.

Huh, I can't say I saw that coming. I wonder how the 1060 will compare? Still, I'm not sure I'm over my last disappointing AMD experience yet so I probably won't bother. I might recommend it to my brother, though, his 680 must be showing its age by now.

Maybe it's just me but I was pretty surprised Raja didn't show off the card more than the Ashes of the Singularity bench. Specifically in terms of VR gaming. I expected there to be some numbers on how well it performs in VR, but there wasn't any during the conference. Perhaps someone will leak more numbers in the coming weeks, but I'm skeptical. But from the AotS bench alone, the 480 performs very well. And at the staggering low price of $199 this card will sell like hotcakes. The 8gb variant will most likely be $250, and custom boards a bit more than that.

Actually come to think of it I recall some leaks of Firestrike a few weeks back, but the card tested might or might not have been the real 480. Now just recently they confirmed it was. If anyone wants to link here it is. And it seems from the FinFET technology the card achieves high OC as well, as the same card touted a 1266 Mhz clock.

For me I'd wait for until the embargoes end and a bunch of reviews come out. But I know a several people who already pre-ordered the 480, even several for a Crossfire setup. Speaking of Crossfire, I find it interesting that the AotS bench claimed to have used 2x480s, beating the 1080 by a small margin. Dunno if that card was a dual GPU board or actually a Crossfire 480 setup.

Less than 200 bucks for a card that gets this close to the 1070 (on paper)? That almost sounds too good to be true. AMD making a big move like that ought to pressure NVIDIA into lowering their prices so that's great, regardless of which camp you're in. And it's even better to the ones like myself, who only swear allegiance to their wallet and can pick what's offering the best bang for the bug.

Still. I'm a wee bit sceptical here. Granted, I'm not in the market for an upgrade (gotta convince myself of that being the truth) anyway, but I do wonder whether there's a catch to it.

Less than 200 bucks for a card that gets this close to the 1070 (on paper)? That almost sounds too good to be true. AMD making a big move like that ought to pressure NVIDIA into lowering their prices so that's great, regardless of which camp you're in. And it's even better to the ones like myself, who only swear allegiance to their wallet and can pick what's offering the best bang for the bug.

Still. I'm a wee bit sceptical here. Granted, I'm not in the market for an upgrade (gotta convince myself of that being the truth) anyway, but I do wonder whether there's a catch to it.

Let's see benchmark not made by amd before getting too excited lol.

I'll take a 1070 thanks. My 970 was more than enough until I bought a 144hz monitor. No doubt they will charge a ridiculous amount here for one at release but hopefully that won't last too long.

Like some of you I wait patiently for more news and reviews...

With the interesting video @Lain posted recently in the Polaris thread.
The guy making it highlights that the 480 with one power connector and lets face it at approx $200 / £160 is perhaps the entry level or competitor card for the upcoming GTX 1060. AMD have clearly not given too much away yet.

Point he makes is that it is common for AMD to do this with cards but then also have a more powerful twin power cable version. This is also backed up with mention at the presentation of a $300 card but nothing was said/shown about this and its not the 8GB 480 so what is it?

Could it be something that will compete more with the 1070 surely as Vega in October will compete more with 1080, mmmm does this make sense to anyone else?

I think the competition is great but not sure yet which vendor will be getting my money if indeed AMD have a 1070 competitor coming with some form of enhanced 480 possibly the 490? I dont want to buy a 480 to find a 490 arrive within only 2-3 months or buy a 1070 to find if a 490 arrives and it has better performance than the 1070.

Patience needed...

Last edited:
I'll just grab a 1080 and probably a 1080 TI when it comes out if I can still get decent money for my 1080, otherwise it's gonna be a sli again.

Which 1080 tho, I'm ont sure. Hesitating between models, I guess I'll wait for benchmark and noise comparaison before buying. Not in hurry tho, my 970 sli is still delivering atm.

This is also backed up with mention at the presentation of a $300 card but nothing was said/shown about this and its not the 8GB 480 so what is it?
I'd say it's probably a 480X. And the 490 at $400, the 490X at $500? Dunno. Sounds almost too easy :lol:

I guess I'll wait for benchmark and noise comparaison before buying.
I'm really, really curious how the eventual benchmarks are going to turn out once the entire range of GPUs is out. The 1080ti you alluded to in particular... And how AMD's line-up stacks up in terms of actual Performance.

Sigh... New GPUs get me way too excited :D

As the guy says in the video X480 (X) is an odd name.
It may be X480 X490 X500 (vega) but only a guess.

Might it not be next year before a 1080ti arrives for sale.
Gees how browned off will buyers of the 1080 be if it comes in Oct/Nov?

The question is just how close AMD are this time around and if Vega in October will outperform 1080.

Well, the naming structure was used for the R9 series (280, 280X, 290, 290X, 380, 380X, 390, 390X...). Granted, AMD might just revise their naming pattern yet again :lol:

As for the 1080ti, it's probably going to be just as annoying to 1080 buyers as the 980ti was to 980 buyers :indiff:

My guess is that the 1080 TI will release when AMD release his more powerful GPU, just to show that hey, we're the boss still.

Personally it wont annoy me, you know it's gonna be out at some point, if you want one and dont wanna double spend, just wait :D

The numbers are definitely impressive... Makes me feel like 1440p will become the new industry standard for PC gaming soon-ish, but it also makes me think that 4k is still going to be an enthusiast thing.

The GTX 1070 will definitely come later for me. The pricing is absolutely ridiculous. The 1070 FE is cheaper here than the aftermarket cards, which (as the announcement stated) wasn't going to be the case.

The aftermarket cards in the US should be between 380 - 430$, yet here in Germany they're costs well over 500€ (~560$). I'm so mad right now, usually we weren't affected by the high exchange rate, but that weirdly has changed.

Right now, I'm actually better off to invest the money into a second 970 rather than a 1070. I'm so mad and disappointed right now :(

The GTX 1070 will definitely come later for me. The pricing is absolutely ridiculous. The 1070 FE is cheaper here than the aftermarket cards, which (as the announcement stated) wasn't going to be the case.

The aftermarket cards in the US should be between 380 - 430$, yet here in Germany they're costs well over 500€ (~560$). I'm so mad right now, usually we weren't affected by the high exchange rate, but that weirdly has changed.

Right now, I'm actually better off to invest the money into a second 970 rather than a 1070. I'm so mad and disappointed right now :(

1070 FE is $799 here :eek:

SVX
1070 FE is $799 here :eek:

Yeah, Australia has been given the stick for quite some times when in comes to PC hardware, but it's the first time it has been happening in Germany in that magnitude.

Oh well, then it'll come with my Z170 upgrade. :lol:

So early (not ideal) look at 1070 SLI Vs 1080

Seems to be a cracker of a card for sure....
Possibly a good video to get an idea of the upcoming AMD X480 as it shows both 980 & 980Ti including of course the 1080.

Last edited:
Back