Oceania now split from Asia - horrible decision

• Thread starter resarf
  • 200 comments
Hi Stephan - are you saying that the Asia region daily races are under poppulated now that Aus/NZ have left?
Pretty much so. I get like 10-11 players usually when I do that Daily Race and I'm not liking this at all.

And that screenshot I posted was taken at around 11:30 am. Usually when races are held that time (before the split happened) it's full grid but now the split happened and that happened which is sad.

Pretty much so. I get like 10-11 players usually when I do that Daily Race and I'm not liking this at all.

And that screenshot I posted was taken at around 11:30 am. Usually when races are held that time (before the split happened) it's full grid but now the split happened and that happened which is sad.

I hope Polyphony are seeing this for themselves.

I wont speak for the American region but it looks like there are serious issues there as well.

It would be nice if there could be some kind of trade off between latency and strength of field which would assign you to your closest server with a strong enough field.

That server might not be your closest server but it will be the closest server to a 20 strong field of Dr A+ at that point in time.

Just had 8 players total(A/S, B/S). Started 8th. Finished 8th. I was 1.3 seconds slower than the field. I didn't mind at all. This forces me to qualify better. Players making less mistakes, not being spun off track, etc., should help build my concentration.

On Asian servers, only Japanese and HK players dominate the grid.

Players from SEA countries like MY/SG/INA are just filling up the gap, but not many as HK/JPY

So, a bit lonely when Race C is just 10-11 players at the most

Two Daily Bs from my new Argentine account below. Look at the SR spreads and the connections. I thought the new regionalization was supposed to "improve the racing experience" :banghead:..

IMG-20181208-WA0009.jpeg

IMG-20181208-WA0005.jpeg

Last edited:
Two Daily Bs from my new Argentine account below. Look at the SR spreads and the connections. I thought the new regionalization was supposed to "improve the racing experience" :banghead:..

View attachment 785087

View attachment 785088

Did they put the server in Argentina? Or perhaps Antarctica? I have never seen green connections from Argentina, they were mostly red. At least it's improved for them! Mexico got screwed the most.

Did they put the server in Argentina? Or perhaps Antarctica? I have never seen green connections from Argentina, they were mostly red. At least it's improved for them! Mexico got screwed the most.

The server is in Brazil. I am in Patagonia. On my USA account I was getting steady yellow bars to the US server. All my Argentine friends except one were getting the same. That one person has admitted he has terrible internet service so no surprise there.

Now in my Argentine account I am still yellow bars. Seems like the only people that can get green are Uruguay, southern Brazil and central Argentina.

You are correct in that Mexico got really screwed here, along with Central America.

You will never ever see a green connection in a US server from anywhere farther away than Mexico, because latency is one of the factors that decides your connection quality. I bet even Alaska and NW Canada probably also would be unlikely to see green bars in some cases.

Maybe there's a 'glass half full' in all this?

PD seem determined to shoot themselves in the foot with blunder after blunder with Sport Mode. Weeklies not Dailies. Barely tolerable penalty systems, ever changing fault detection systems. Track limit nonsense.

Now this, fracturing an already diminished player base.

But there is a solution... We go back to what worked in GT6. Public open lobby system rooms, run by decent hosts, with protests heard by humans that can kick offenders, witnessed by fellow racers. And the upside? No region limits whatsoever...

We dealt with lag in GT6 by asking laggers to leave and come back (which sometimes worked in GT6) or booting (which prevented re-entry). I raced against players from all over the world, 24/7, and lag was a non-issue. Regions prone to lag had a host from their own area start a room if there were enough players with the same problem. But on the whole, it was a fixable or avoidable problem.

Leagues like SNAIL and WRS had tightly controlled racing, and it was cleaner and fairer than anything I've seen in any Sport Mode room, even S/S rooms. Return position for dirty pass was the standard racing etiquette, which removes any advantage to hyper aggression without any 'time penalty' BS that ruins the realism of Sport Mode. 'Clean or Kick' casual rooms were always up, tons of stock setting rooms.

Basically, everything we would like in Sport Mode, but hasn't yet been delivered. With a player base no bigger than what we currently have.

I know it's a bit harder, a bit more trouble to pull off. But, in the end, if the result is the player base unites again and we regain the sanity that was GT6, isn't it worth it? Sport Mode has been an interesting experiment. But, I fear, a failed one ultimately, for the vast majority of the player base. Consoles (or even PC's) aren't yet powerful enough to provide human quality stewarding, the player base isn't big enough to allow this level of fracturing without some regions getting the short end of the stick.

Time to go back to what worked...

If iRacing can host a 60 players from all around the globe in single session, why can't PD do the same.

At 300ms latency, I suffered as much as other Asian countries and Aus/NZ, but the race quality is like im racing with sub 100ms.

Maybe there's a 'glass half full' in all this?

PD seem determined to shoot themselves in the foot with blunder after blunder with Sport Mode. Weeklies not Dailies. Barely tolerable penalty systems, ever changing fault detection systems. Track limit nonsense.

Now this, fracturing an already diminished player base.

But there is a solution... We go back to what worked in GT6. Public open lobby system rooms, run by decent hosts, with protests heard by humans that can kick offenders, witnessed by fellow racers. And the upside? No region limits whatsoever...

I never played GT6 online, I didn't play anything online back then but that sounds ideal if they can make it work.

I never played GT6 online, I didn't play anything online back then but that sounds ideal if they can make it work.
I think I raced GT-5 on line and it was great ... i only remember Suzuka though. Way back then the internet speed was good, but ai actually connected with WiFi!! It had the odd bug though. I like a hotted up Lotus back then - lots of extra horsepower, lower weight and a big wing - and it wouldn't start properly - I'd be last at the first corner. But it was fast on the twisty bits and I'd end up fighting for the lead with a Nissan Skyline who had twice the power - it was fun. Didn't play GT6 much at all and not on line.

First race last night after the update, still got kicked out of lobby after the players list screen. Yup, region locking really does improve the experience /s.

4 players in the race B sr:S race just then? Pffft

I guess at least it's a win for the folks who've always thought they'd never get the Schuey trophy...

Isn't it actually worse to get wins now because if matchmaking can't find enough people, they'll just lump everyone from DR D to S?

Well I just had to see it to actually believe it.
Yep 5:10 AM, just did a solo entry race B.
Which of course nets me zero dr for the win lol.

I thought if there's not enough players the race doesn't count (i.e. it doesn't count as a win for the achievements)?

I didn't note my wins before the solo race, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't counted.
Didn't score any SR either, although it did pay me the clean race streak/bonus.

It's a shame, sometimes I wake up an hour or so early and I used to like getting in a race or two before going to work :(

Before the split :(

And after :D

What the...
Before the split I used to be bottomed out on parameter 1 with ping 250 ms but now I'm at max on that point with 18 ms, go figure?

On another note, didn't most Aussies used to get 4 green bars recept when I started playing 12 months ago or has my memory just gone to ka ka?

What the...
Before the split I used to be bottomed out on parameter 1 with ping 250 ms but now I'm at max on that point with 18 ms, go figure?

On another note, didn't most Aussies used to get 4 green bars recept when I started playing 12 months ago or has my memory just gone to ka ka?
I must have had a better/shorter line to the server previously but with it now moved it's gotten better for you (I suppose??? :lol:).

On your other note, I only ever saw Aussies with three yellow bars maximum.

Back