Odd Modifications Thread

• Thread starter el fayce
  • 1,524 comments
I'm still so conflicted on that kit. Maybe if I didn't know it was a Miata it would be better. Just can't quite get behind it otherwise for some reason.

The only thing I don't like about Pit Crew kits is the problem I have with any kit that changes the factory headlights, which is the headlight lines in the hood. Its the same thing with the Top Secret V12 Supra

15e7n8w.jpg

The good thing about the Pit Crew kit is you don't HAVE to stick with the stock hood (and therefore factory headlight lines). It makes it work so much better to me, and looks much less like an afterthought.

3516_1_1.jpg

Minus the chrome add-ons, the pit-crew front end works really well, that example @Turbo is a really nice example. Pit-crew rear end conversion however, well that's not as nice really.

Would you happen to know who makes this top? Never seen it before and it has my interest.
This seems to be the only website for it, with no price but a statement that it's due in the spring. Doesn't look like it's as hardy as a regular hard top (more scratchable, not suitable for very high speeds, probably doesn't improve rigidity like the standard hardtop) but it's lighter, supposedly cheaper, and does look pretty cool.

I mean...it's certainly nifty, but I question application. It isn't likely to significantly improve rigidity, as has been stated, but I'd also be concerned when weather turns.

I've got a friend whose dad was building an acrylic bubble top custom Buick in his garage and I was helping to drop a Nailhead in it. It was in the driveway because the garage didn't have enough clearance for the hoist, and when it started to rain, I was urged to have a seat on the bucket inside with the top lowered--the rain was LOUD inside. Sure, the interior was gutted to metal and full trimming probably would have helped stop the noise bouncing off of surfaces, but how much?

Would never expect to see a Martini livery on one of these:

Sure I would. Fanboys of all ilk exist, and while the obligatory Gulf livery is pretty much the benchmark of banality, Martini isn't too far behind.

Sure I would. Fanboys of all ilk exist, and while the obligatory Gulf livery is pretty much the benchmark of banality, Martini isn't too far behind.
I see your point about the fanboys, but a brief Google search reveals that not one Honda has ever raced carrying a Martini livery. Faux Martini liveries would likely be applied to brands of cars that actually used the livery, like older Porsches, Lancias, Ford Focuses, etc.

CR-Z's are overshadowed by Civics in general and are seldomly modified to begin with. But when they are, it is never in this fashion. I doubt you would pass the CR-Z in the picture on the street and think to yourself, "Gee, how typical that is".

Faux Martini liveries would likely be applied to brands of cars that actually used the livery, like older Porsches, Lancias, Ford Focuses, etc.
IMG_0314.JPG

Logic doesn't always prevail. No camper van ever raced bearing the Gulf livery and yet:

b99d34f6545b9b1364d61f84942a1e9c.jpg

Edit: Or VW Kombivans:

83c582075ec0ef67e1b326e06e7a0950--vw-t-volkswagen-bus.jpg

Or Westfalias:

GulfWesty1.jpg

Or come-along sleepers:

50137deefab780d6a0c405e6310316dc.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0314.JPG

Logic doesn't always prevail. No camper van ever raced bearing the Gulf livery and yet:

b99d34f6545b9b1364d61f84942a1e9c.jpg

Edit: Or VW Kombivans:

83c582075ec0ef67e1b326e06e7a0950--vw-t-volkswagen-bus.jpg

Or Westfalias:

GulfWesty1.jpg

Or come-along sleepers:

50137deefab780d6a0c405e6310316dc.jpg
All of those would be considered "odd modifications".

All of those would be considered "odd modifications".
Yes, they would, and an argument can very easily be made for questionable, but I'm not the least bit surprised to see them because fanboys.

Edit: In response to the hypothetical you proffered a few minutes ago: What would I think upon seeing a Martini-liveried CR-Z on the street? "Idjit."

In the same vein: (Note here that those are not odd, they're just stupid and are here to further prove the point that some people put stuff on cars because it's trendy and that's all there is to it.)
maxresdefault.jpg

tumblr_oyv5yje42z1qhjwrfo3_500.jpg

retro-marlboro-livery-m4-at-the-6th-annual-targa-trophy-german-car-festival-213388.jpeg

f309d5ed9559e98585f2b98ebff24ed0--branding-smoke.jpg

13739415_272349443132508_682441069_n.jpg

b92d6fca09361906a91b92c22b97a4fa.jpg

I saw an MX-5 with this front end kit on just the other day, first i've seen in the flesh. The NA was a retro design any way, so in a lot of regards it works perfectly. The lights however are just set an inch or so too low.

(Note here that those are not odd, they're just stupid and are here to further prove the point that some people put stuff on cars because it's trendy and that's all there is to it.)
Mm.

This is an old 80s Toyota truck that's been converted into a mini-Peterbilt truck. I think it's quite cool, but yeah, it's a pretty odd idea.

$_59.JPG

$_59.JPG

$_59.JPG
If I saw that on the road I'd think that's an actual Peterbilt.

Latest Posts

Back