Official 2011/12 Barclays Premier League Thread

• Thread starter iScoRcHv
  • 1,036 comments
iScoRcHv
After looking around the forum a bit I notice there isn't yet an official thread for the upcoming 2011/12 Barclays Premier League season so I thought I'd start it. Here is where you can post predictions, news, and your thoughts and opinions on the teams participating for the title.

Keep it clean guys :P

My predictions... 2 ways. I don't really have a favorite club for the EPL. I think Chelsea will either shine under AVB (Andres Villas Boas, new young coach that came from FC Porto) or AVB will be sacked by Christmas time. That to me is for sure. If Chelsea stumble in the beginning of the season, Roman will act as he always does.

Agreed. If chelsea want to do well in my view they need one more big money signing...perhaps neymar or modric if they want to keep up with the quality of United and Man City...I also think Liverpool could do well this season since they've made some good signings such as Downing, Adam and Henderson and other players such as Carroll, Suarez and Rodriguez will also do well...Not that I want them to do well since I support Man United 👍

Arsenal finally to get a trophy...................................................... yes I know, it sounds crazy.

I'm hoping wolves can finish a bit higher than last year! :D Especially because we've managed to hold onto Doyle.

For arsenal, I believe we will get at least six points from our first three games against newcastle (win), Liverpool (likely win) and manchester united(perhaps a draw, although a loss is not out of the equation). And we have Vermalen and van persie injury free:eek. Just hope we dont lose Nasri and van persie in the next few weeks.

Being a Man United fan I'd always say they are favourites to win the title, but I think most fans would agree especially given their pre-season form so far (Ok it's not against the greatest opposition) as well as some transfers which will benefit them in the long term since Young, De Gea and Jones are all young.

Who do you think will get relegated this season ?

Be interesting, I think Swansea's style of play could work well in the Premiership, it's always hard to know how the new teams will adapt.

Liverpool could have a good season, but not title contenders, I think that's Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Citeh's to fight over. Still a long time to go in the transfer market, so bit hard to know yet.

Here are the predictions I got using the amazing BBC Sport predictor.

prempredictions.jpg

It's obviously not gonna happen, but it's what I want to happen. I think I was too kind to all of the promoted teams, particularly Norwich :indiff: Also I doubt West Brom will actually get as high as 7th, Wolves 9th, maybe Wigan 12th, but you never know these days :mischievous:

Also, just for kicks, in the Championship, I got Cardiff and West Ham in the auto promo spots, and Nott'm Forest, Birmingham, Blackpool and Millwall in the playoffs. There isn't a predictor for the playoffs sadly but I would expect Birmingham to win in that situation :)

Here are the predictions I got using the amazing BBC Sport predictor.

prempredictions.jpg

It's obviously not gonna happen, but it's what I want to happen. I think I was too kind to all of the promoted teams, particularly Norwich :indiff: Also I doubt West Brom will actually get as high as 7th, Wolves 9th, maybe Wigan 12th, but you never know these days :mischievous:

Also, just for kicks, in the Championship, I got Cardiff and West Ham in the auto promo spots, and Nott'm Forest, Birmingham, Blackpool and Millwall in the playoffs. There isn't a predictor for the playoffs sadly but I would expect Birmingham to win in that situation :)

Swap everton with west brom, and that would pretty much be my prediction.

Swap everton with west brom, and that would pretty much be my prediction.

I think the reason they came out like that is because I gave West Brom way too many wins at the start of the year, and gave Everton too little. To be honest though I think West Brom aren't that bad and if they do get a rally going then a top half finish will be easy for them. And they have good enough players to maybe finish in the top half, particularly Odemwingie, Tchoyi and Brunt. If I remember though they still need a new goalie to replace Carson :indiff: So they might end up just being a stronger Blackpool. Good! :D

Everton for me has plenty of good players but they just aren't entertaining for me to be honest. Which is a stupid reason for them finishing 19th, but I just gave them too many negative results I guess. They definitely are in the running for top half in the real world, particularly with Beckford, Saha, Cahill, Baines, Coleman etc etc.

I don't see why the table can't look like this. Although in my view Liverpool would be a little higher and Norwich in my view are definetly gunna be relegated but nowadays some teams do tend to pull off a surprise.

Liverpool have certainly improved under Dalglish, but for some reason the old sparkle has gone from them for me since 2 years ago. As it stands Liverpool are probably gonna sink at the start of the season again then shoot up towards the end. It'll also be interesting to see how Charlie Adam does with them as well and to see if Suarez and Carroll can deliver enough to get themselves higher. But I think Tottenham can still get the edge over the in the end.

I admit, I was far too kind to Norwich. I myself said they would be the one new boy team to get relegated, and in my predictions, after all the results, they're the highest of the three. :crazy: But to be honest, Norwich really don't have any names that I know of. Grant Holt will obviously make a stand but Norwich need more skilled players. They should have the money with their promotion, so why not spend it? But yeah, at this rate, it looks like relegation, and more likely bottom place for Norwich. Also for much of the beginning of the season I had them at the bottom as well but I was hoping they'd get a boost later on. Turns out I took it a bit too far :lol:

Ok, since some others have made predictions, here is what I think the final league table will look like.

1. Man Utd
2. Chelsea
3. Man City
4. Liverpool
5. Arsenal
6. Tottenham
7. Aston Villa
8. Sunderland
9. Everton
10. Stoke
11. Bolton
12. Fulham
13. Wolves
14. Newcastle
15. West Brom
16. Blackburn
17. Norwich
18. Swansea
19. Wigan
20. QPR

I admit the only reason I have put Man U over Chelsea is because I support Manchester United and only something inside me is saying Norwich will survive, though I have nothing to base that on.;) Other than that I think this should be pretty accurate and if it's not you can all have a laugh at the end of the season, as I will have got it completely wrong.:sly:

I honestly think Aston Villa will struggle this season. With their two main wingers Young and Downing gone it leaves only one first team winger left (as far as I know) and that's Marc Albrighton and although he's a good player he lacks experience.

And considering a lot of goals came from wing play and set pieces I can't see where Villa's goals will come from this season.

But hey im probably wrong :D

The real questions I have is how many games will Fernando Torres play for Chelsea before scoring, and how many games will he need to finally find his groove back?

I think it will take a while for Torres to get back to his best. Since the new managers arrival he might change the style of which chelsea play which might bring out the best in him or not.

Anyone going to watch or be at the Community Shield next Sunday ? I'll be there hoping United will win which would be good since they add another trophy to the collection as well as beating Man City which is always good.

Predictions for this match ?

Who do you think will get relegated this season ?
For me, the most probable option is Wigan. They lost N'Zogbia, who made them stay up nearly single-handedly. Unless they can replace him, which is rather unlikely. Other two relegations slots will be filled by newly-promoted teams, I think.
1. Man Utd
2. Chelsea
3. Man City
4. Liverpool
5. Arsenal
6. Tottenham
7. Aston Villa
8. Sunderland
9. Everton
10. Stoke
11. Bolton
12. Fulham
13. Wolves
14. Newcastle
15. West Brom
16. Blackburn
17. Norwich
18. Swansea
19. Wigan
20. QPR
Seems quite likely, but I'm not sure why would you put Wolves higher than Newcastle.
Arsenal finally to get a trophy
Does Emirates Cup count?
I honestly think Aston Villa will struggle this season. With their two main wingers Young and Downing gone it leaves only one first team winger left (as far as I know) and that's Marc Albrighton and although he's a good player he lacks experience.
I partially agree, but Villa have signed Charles N'Zogbia from Wigan. He's a good player, but adjusting to a new team takes time.

bradford
For me, the most probable option is Wigan. They lost N'Zogbia, who made them stay up nearly single-handedly. Unless they can replace him, which is rather unlikely. Other two relegations slots will be filled by newly-promoted teams, I think.

At least they have Rodallega...but that's it. Al Habsi in particular is a joke (and he was named their player of the year?! :crazy: ), and most of their other players don't make much impact.

Who saw the community shield ? I was at wembley and was relieved at full time. Good to see more youngsters coming through the ranks hopefully they will be part of the first team within a few years

Who saw the community shield ? I was at wembley and was relieved at full time. Good to see more youngsters coming through the ranks hopefully they will be part of the first team within a few years

I saw the highlights. Man U looks like they may have their very own Almunia now!

I saw the highlights. Man U looks like they may have their very own Almunia now!

I hope that performance was a one off, he certainly didn't impress me. He was at fault for both goals.:scared:

On a similar note I can't believe how bad goalkeeping in general has become. I know the balls are too light these days so they move a bit too much at times but some basic mistakes are being made time and time again. Who told these keepers that the only way to save the ball is by diving?:confused: They often move out of the line of the ball just so they can dive, usually resulting in a goal.:banghead:

I also hope this was a one off but I'm confident he will be a great replacement for van Der sar since he has a good 15-20 years ahead of him before he retires so he'll get plenty of experience plus he's won the u21 world cup with Spain so no doubt he'll move onto becoming Spain's no.1 keeper soon

Hopefully not, he should of saved the second goal no doubt, the fisrt one was more of the defenders fault than De Gea's but he's only 20 and hopefully will improve. At least we have Lindegaard who has looked good whenever he's played to take some pressure of him.

I'll be happy to see Fabregas out of Arsenal. Far too long the question was there if he really wanted to be at Arsenal or not and constantly linked with Barca. I now hope he chokes MASSIVELY at the Camp Nou.

Season starts this weekend and I'm looking forward most to seeing Chelsea play. I want to see how AVB's coaching ability got this club going since I'm a fan of AVB and of Mourinho. AVB did something unheard of last season with Porto. I don't really have an EPL team but I wish him the best of luck... pending Roman Abrahmovich doesn't fire him in December lol

I now hope he chokes MASSIVELY at the Camp Nou.

He wont get the chance too, sitting on the bench!

I am glad he is gone, the important thing now is who Wenger signs to replace him and Nasri. Mata, Jadson and Mertesacker would be awesome.

Back