Official GT Blog: "Pit Stop" by Polyphony Digital

• Thread starter Dionisiy
  • 2,207 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Imari. I heard that Far Cry has one of the best map editors there is on a console. I don't know if this is true. But apparently you can create tracks with elevation and tight corners etc on that and drive cars around it. How ironic that a "non racing franchise" can do better eh :lol:

I heard about ModNation too. And V Rally 2. I don't think I ever played V rally 2, but I did play V Rally. You know I really can't remember but there are so many games out their with track editors which on their platform could do so much better than Gran Turismo 6 has done on the PS3.

Maybe PD's excuse is that in fact the PS3 was too hard to code on and took a long time to figure out. They shouldn't have this excuse with the PS4 being PC based instruction set X86. So they can't use that excuse again. We'll see how well they can do with something much easier and which the developers feel much easier and more comfortable to code with. GT7 will be the proof of the pudding. But i'll not take my hat off yet.

Last edited:
Not trying to give PD excuses but given the interesting things I've read regarding Japan's growing love for mobile games (which slightly leaves me worried about their Arcade Gaming scene) and learning that both Nintendo and Konami are now entering the Mobile gaming market, I'm left to wonder...Is there a possibility that the implementing of Course maker as a Mobile-only feature (for now anyway) was more of a Sony decision?

Then again, if you're not able to foresee that your users may want 90° bends and tight hairpins on their tracks even without prompting from other games, you shouldn't be designing a course maker. Seriously, it's not even remotely possible that they didn't consider that. They could have made the prototype and played with it for half an hour, and at least one person on the team would have noticed that they couldn't make corners as tight as they wanted.
Actually you could do 90° and tighter, but you have to tweak this bit idiotic v1.0.0 editor user interface to do those.
= several places you have to do first lower angle turns and connect next pieces of track to it before you start tightening that desired tight angle corner.
Several stupid things:No ability to change:
-Start/finish line, size, lenght, width, shape, always Kingsize width and lenght.
-track piece default "corner" width, have to first lay it on wide piece and then shrink width (Not speaking about lane width, that should be also changeable between different width around track, but not)
-only one end of track piece has Bezier pins, other is end joint with other piece Bezier value.
-multiple parts selection and simultaneous moving.
-overall UI needs BIG overhaul(changeable sensitivity, etc), but definitely it's now on good starting point, far away from good end product.

Then comes long list of bugs, and designer faults on basic UI.. Not those now, I really want/wait PD to test their product, or open some contact channel for reporting bugs, or giving opportunity for some users to join their team as dedicated TESTERS.

Check my tracks and you'll see those "90"s.. (Not saying at editor is good for those, or at those are fine now, but somehow manageable to overdo)

Check my tracks and you'll see those "90"s.. (Not saying at editor is good for those, or at those are fine now, but somehow manageable to overdo)

Have you posted some up? I'd like to have a look.

I've also played around with getting tighter corners, and I agree that you can get some way there. But there's no way to get tighter than the width of the area alongside the track reserved for objects. Which means you can't make something like say, Seattle, because you can't a crossroads-style right angle on a corner.

If I'm wrong, please teach me how because I want to use those sorts of corners.

Have you posted some up? I'd like to have a look.

I've also played around with getting tighter corners, and I agree that you can get some way there. But there's no way to get tighter than the width of the area alongside the track reserved for objects. Which means you can't make something like say, Seattle, because you can't a crossroads-style right angle on a corner.

If I'm wrong, please teach me how because I want to use those sorts of corners.
After earlier post started this, soon shared:
krunikka.png

One illegal one-way opposite way :) only because wanted to try close each other ninety degrees.

About 150m difference on real-life distance on route, GT6 is longer that 150m than real is, my mistake on scaling.

Shared now.

Edit: Seattle with 9m wide track and tighter than this is hard to go.
seatle.png

Last edited:
After earlier post started this, soon shared:
View attachment 457246
One illegal one-way opposite way :) only because wanted to try close each other ninety degrees.

About 150m difference on real-life distance on route, GT6 is longer that 150m than real is, my mistake on scaling.

Shared now.

Edit: Seattle with 9m wide track and tighter than this is hard to go.
View attachment 457365

Yeah, that's looks about like what I've managed too. I struggle to get below about a 29-30R, even with placing the corners and tweaking afterwards. It's not bad, it's tight-ish, but it's not quite there for most street circuits.

Yeah, that's looks about like what I've managed too. I struggle to get below about a 29-30R, even with placing the corners and tweaking afterwards. It's not bad, it's tight-ish, but it's not quite there for most street circuits.

With narrowest track width and decrease turn radius (mid corner + straights before and after) my record is 21R. You need to get the straights perfectly lined up and the hairpin needs to be one section.

Like this:
-------->)
--------<)

> referring to anchor and ) referring to the hairpin.

The problem is you are then making all your street circuits with track width 6m, which is horrible for racing. For tracks like Seattle which is quite wide it ruins the whole atmosphere of the track. Essentially it's a trade off between correct layout vs correct width.

After 2 years, I really expected more. As it is the program is still very limited, while being a lot clunkier to use and test your tracks.

24/25 on any width.
Mostly I have run in to problems with margin space needed on side of track, two tracks just can't go close enough.
Reproducing real-life tracks like Sportsland SUGO chicane on middle of 110R, or pre-working several corners at once and dropping them then on place on Sendai Hi-Land Raceway, and that ..king start/finish-line straight, Sendai had to reproduce on 32% bigger than real-life.. I want to do 1:1 tracks..done several of 1:1 already, and doing more.. That start straight just drops out many good tracks.. There is change to have better editor later, or I believe so.
But I'm having big hopes for this editor, only because of it's versioned 1.0.0.

Last edited:
The size of the straight is so they can fit the pitlane I think. Then again, there's no reason why they can't scale the pitlane (and max grid size) according to the straight length.

There is a new article, but it is just an advertisement of "Manga, Anime, Games from Japan," which is being held in Hyougo Prefectural Museum of Art.

I love the idea that they keep working on a motion sim. Perhaps they will be able to sell an affordable motion sim at some point :)

It was at some point, but it's got derailed and now it's just that.
Not waiting on something worth reading from there until PSX gets closer, honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back