OK, I've had enough.aka"DA throws down the Gauntlet"

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 199 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that's promising for me then, cause I have never EVER edited ANYTHING in my life so I don't think I will get a vid with cool editing, just the basic stuff like some text lines, and smoothening of fragment changes if you know what I mean. So if I make it on time in the FIRST PLACE don't expect more editing than that, but DA just said that was alright so:cool:

Well, as this draws into the final days, I'm absolutely bent.

I've currently got only 2 entries. Both are really good, and lived up to the expectations that I know are here. I really hate to make generalizations, but I suppose I really shouldn't be suprised.

At least two people made out OK in this endeavor. And I was proven quite wrong in my thoughts about having the talent here.

I will state that I was right about BreakBoiSteve though. :D

AO

It's my feeling that you aren't going to attract drifters by having a competition heavily based on editing and presentation. You've agreed that presentation weighs heavily on winning and that you yourself are not qualified to judge the art of drifting. So, what this contest comes down to is appealing to your personal taste, which is fine, since you are offering up the prize. But how many people care enough about pleasing your taste to put hard work into making a video which you and only you will judge? Not many it seems, not me anyway.

I say, if you want to make a neatly presented drift video to showcase skills; round up the best drifters, compile their videos, and edit it together the way you like. I mean, this isn't a premiere forum, it's a GT4 drifting forum.

My 2 Cents.

d3p0
But how many people care enough about pleasing your taste to put hard work into making a video which you and only you will judge?

where did you get this from?
read the thread
Der Alta
Here's the deal, I'm not picking the winner. I'm simply narrowng it down to a few quality choices. The final judging will be done simply by the members of GTPlanet picking which one they liked best. Some will enjoy the editing, some will enjoy the drifting. I've left the rules and regs very relaxed in order to get a wide variety of submissions.

i mean, its only 3 posts above yours...not like you have to backtrack through pages upon pages of posts

or if you prefer....
Der Alta
We as a whole will vote and select the best one.
thats taken from the very first post

get the facts straight before you bash this idea. He's not picking the winner, he's not basing it solely on editting, and he's paying for the prize (oh, and he's an admin). Let the guy do what he wants. There's nothing unfair or unjust about this idea or the means by which a winner is selected.

I would have thought that the bragging rights alone of saying "I won AO's Gauntlet challenge" would have brought swarms of entries, then toss in the GTPremium to sweeten the deal.... nobody should have not entered. (unless of course you're a premium member...)

i dunno, i'm also dissapointed by the amount submitted.... like i was saying to AO yesterday, i was looking forward to him staying up to the wee hours of the morning watching and critiquing vids. I guess this wont happen.

oh well, your loss for not entering.

d3p0
It's my feeling that you aren't going to attract drifters by having a competition heavily based on editing and presentation. You've agreed that presentation weighs heavily on winning and that you yourself are not qualified to judge the art of drifting. So, what this contest comes down to is appealing to your personal taste, which is fine, since you are offering up the prize. But how many people care enough about pleasing your taste to put hard work into making a video which you and only you will judge? Not many it seems, not me anyway.
Tank Spanker said quite enough in the post above this one.

I, for one, think that had it been a competition of just a full drift lap, no editing, music or additions, I wouldn't have gotten too many more than I have now.

We'll see if there's any truth to that in a month or so.

AO

It's kind of disappointing that my comments are greeted with such defensiveness. OK, it's been a while since I've looked at this thread, so I forgot that the people are deciding the final winner. My comments remain though, because 1 person is choosing who can win.

"So, what this contest comes down to is appealing to your personal taste, which is fine, since you are offering up the prize."

What I'm getting at, is that, with this ammount of impartialism, why bother? That's my view as a person who drifts in GT4. It's not my loss for not entering, it's my choice and a good one at that.

"I would have thought that the bragging rights alone of saying "I won AO's Gauntlet challenge" would have brought swarms of entries.."

This is the problem that we are both trying to figure out a solution for. I offered up my thoughts, what are yours?

d3p0
What I'm getting at, is that, with this ammount of impartialism, why bother? That's my view as a person who drifts in GT4. It's not my loss for not entering, it's my choice and a good one at that.

Ok, so before the challenge you didn't have 3 months free premium and now, since your good choice was to not enter you still don't have 3 months of free premium service.

Now, if you would have entered you would've had an oppurtunity to win. Now, your chances are zero.

If you're fearful to try because you don't want to be rejected just say it. Don't insinuate the the voting or DA are biased just because you didn't feel like trying. Now, if you would've entered and NOT won, then you would have a basis for what you're saying. But since you didn't try.....

Bamboo, I hope you get your entry in on time! :)

right,
now, on a lighter note

d3p0
This is the problem that we are both trying to figure out a solution for. I offered up my thoughts, what are yours?

well, thats a good question, and i dont know if theres a definite answer to it right now.

I wont say that it's impossible that people are thinking that editting is going to limit their performance in this challenge. Who knows, it could be the case - but i think its a silly reason to sit something like this out. Swift already hit on this, so I wont elaborate further.
I kind of like bamboo's answer (it appeals to the university student mentality in me), and I hope he's right. Though, i dont find it probable that many more entries will be showing up over the next few days.

I guess we might have to wait and see how the participation is in the first GTPDC (once it gets goin) before we know exactly why the participation in this challenge was a flop, and we'll work from there.

....to sum up my answer in a single line:
"I dont know, I figure the attitude of the general population on this forum is just too lazy to create a video actually worth watching"

this is what i find most dissapointing. There's over 40 (possibly 50) different members who have released drift videos thus far on this forum, but when they are challenged to put together something noteworthy only 2 answer the call. 4% turnout.... thats really really poor.
(I dont mean to single out anyone here, this is an observation of us as a whole)

maybe its something to do with the attention span and 'willingness to apply ones-self' of the avg. age of members on this forum - but i prefer to think that it's not and avoid imposing any negative stereotypes upon the age groups that frequent this place. Whatever the case, people don't seem willing to put in the effort - and this has been shown. Hard to disagree with this statement, no matter how much you want to think otherwise.
(AO and I were just discussing this yesterday)

~TankSpanker wanders off in mid-thought~

d3p0
It's kind of disappointing that my comments are greeted with such defensiveness. OK, it's been a while since I've looked at this thread, so I forgot that the people are deciding the final winner. My comments remain though, because 1 person is choosing who can win.

"So, what this contest comes down to is appealing to your personal taste, which is fine, since you are offering up the prize."

"I would have thought that the bragging rights alone of saying "I won AO's Gauntlet challenge" would have brought swarms of entries.."

Yes, you are certainly justified in thinking that. Here's the thought process you should also have gone through after that.

"Ok, I submitted a movie for the competition, it didn't come up in the final three, I'm going to post it for everybody to see and tell me if it was good enough to win."

At which point, I (Der Alta) would have to present a plausible explanation as to why I didn't think it qualified. Do you think I thought the videos that didn't get picked would simply disappear? No, I knew they'd get posted, as people are proud of what they accomplished and what they do. Which means, I'd have to pick top notch videos for you to choose from. You'll also note that in the first post, I stated if I can't choose three, I'd bring others in to help narrow it down.

You'll stand your argument on "He's choosing who can win". I'll stand mine on knowing the members here are good enough to question my decision, therefore it must be the right one.

I'm only as good a member as those that are here, and while my reputation and my status are top notch, you members put me here. My reputation and my status mean nothing without the respect of the members here. They are, and always will be, how I am judged and held accountable for doing my job.

AO

Let's talk more about What could be done next time to make a succesful contest? instead of What d3p0 thinks about twelve bucks... You see, I'm very interested in competing, but maybe I'm not the only one that held off because of how the contest was run.

d3p0
Let's talk more about What could be done next time to make a succesful contest? instead of What d3p0 thinks about twelve bucks... You see, I'm very interested in competing, but maybe I'm not the only one that held off because of how the contest was run.
Sounds like a good plan to me.

I'd like to hear form you, so please, check your PM's

AO

i wish i had a capture card but i dont as of yet. i have plenty of replays saved that i could edit together so maybe if this or somehting like this gets run agin i'll have an entry. but until then, i'll have plenty of time to improve my drifting. good luck to those that do enter tho :sly:👍

bamboo
One word, procrastination. :)

3 more days plenty of time.

I really hope procrastination is the case. There are a few drifters on this forum i was really looking foward to seeing a competitive video on. 2 vids, that's really dissapointing. Well, good luck Bamboo.

5 hours straight on Tsukuba and only 2 decent laps were made. :indiff:

This circuit is sure tricky and I think this is why most members don’t bother to participate. Couple feinting here and there and trail braking are what I use to get a good looking drift but I think the most important part that's needed to drift on Tsukuba is a precise consistant entry speed.

The problem that I’m facing is controlling the transferred weight, since this circuit is narrow there's not much space to control the weight with the speed that I'm using. One false move and off to the walls or grass I go. Guess I’ll just have to see what the remaining days bring, if not I’ll have to turn in one of my two laps. :)

Thanks for the luck Apex. :)

You do realize you can edit drifts together, right? I specifically left the format open so that could be done. My thoughts were that it takes far too long to get a "perfect" lap so use the ability to edit and mix.

Good luck,

As of right now, you're the unknown coefficient in this competition.

Will he or won't he finish?

👍

AO

Der Alta
You do realize you can edit drifts together, right? I specifically left the format open so that could be done. My thoughts were that it takes far too long to get a "perfect" lap so use the ability to edit and mix.

Good luck,

As of right now, you're the unknown coefficient in this competition.

Will he or won't he finish?

👍

AO
wow, that makes me want to send a vid in even more. ill see what i can do with the time left. i really should be praticing for my other competition though. oh well. time to go have fun

we've been getting a few last minute "wows", or people who claim to just notice this section of the forum the past week. Yet DA still has only 2 vids. I really hope you guys finish in time.

ok, I guess I expected more from you all. At this time, I've gotten a total of 7 videos. 5 were rejected, because people either couldn't or didn't bother to follow the Challenge requirements.

I'll eventually post 4 of the rejected videos, as one had previously been posted anyways. One was rejected because it had their name in the opening of the video. The other three were rejected because they didn't meet the minimum format. Granted the 4 that were submitted were excellent drift laps, but they didn't meet the requirements. :(

The two that are here, are fantastic. I've been watching them over and over and they really do make for excellent videos.

The suprise award, is that the winner will have his video hosted here on GTPlanet as a showcase of the ability of the drifters here. Badge of honor? I think so.

Now, this thread is closed, and shortly I'll open up the voting in a new thread.

Thanks

AO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back