Online is useless thanks to the stupid Lotus

• Thread starter Mortuus
  • 141 comments
I race mostly in Beginner and 500PP events and hardly see Elise's and when I do they don't tend to be a threat for race wins. T

Well, now that we've met, I know why. The non tunned version is great fun, handles great, turns very fast, but it lacks power. At least the 96 one does. Haven't tried the other one. It was easy to keep up and over take your Integra all round HS Ring, but I couldn't get away or even keep up after you slipstreamed past me in the straight. And we all know this kind of driver (dirty, looking for a quick win) doesn't like that... they usually go for the Orange Focus. They are starting to give it a bad rep for me today.

I race with Elise only if I don`t want to be rammed from behind. Today I race with Ferrari F40 just for fun of driving and guess what . . . I was pushed out of track many times. I have only ONE clean race and I finish 3rd.

That post was before I raced you! I know what you mean about the orange Focus. I did find a couple of good runners in them though.

Have you had any problems with someone called Kingkeith? He was driving me mad in his Swift Tuned!

Have you had any problems with someone called Kingkeith? He was driving me mad in his Swift Tuned!

Can't remember the name, but there was one irritating me because he was always going straight, when he should be turning. No breaking on the outside with this guy behind you...

Hi all,

I just recently switched to pro online races and I have to say, in Fuji F the 111Rs don't seem to dominate that much. There are some in every race but most of the time they are driven by n00bs less sensible than newbie such as me driving a planted R8. That means they spin and I overtake. :)

About the intentional ramming, I've seen almost as much moronic GT-R drivers as 111R drivers. Best duels I've had so far are with fellow R8s or F430s.

Why can't people just try their best to race clean and just have fun?

Every time I venture into the mayhem that is online racing someone rams me. And the biggest offender is the Elise 111R. Why do people try to overtake on the inside corner?

I think the solution is to penalize both cars for any contact with another car. It sucks for the victim but now the aggressors would never intentionally come initiate contact.

Hi all,

I just recently switched to pro online races and I have to say, in Fuji F the 111Rs don't seem to dominate that much. There are some in every race but most of the time they are driven by n00bs less sensible than newbie such as me driving a planted R8. That means they spin and I overtake. :)

About the intentional ramming, I've seen almost as much moronic GT-R drivers as 111R drivers. Best duels I've had so far are with fellow R8s or F430s.

I go with you with your first sentence, which is very true indeed. Comparing for example to Suzuka circuit, the Elise hell :grumpy: .

yea, bash lotus for making a good car...
Ok, it's not that realistic but give them a break. GT5 is still in the works, maybe they will ban it from some of the races.
And all lotuses are known for their roadhuging properties so live with it or wait for the patch. I live with it. And I like to drive it too :D

I usualy race on intermediate at suzuka and HSR at expert, Don't own an eleise as I don't like them......honest LOL
I find good and bad drivers of the elise in equal numbers to all drivers on GT5p Now intermediate they don't really cut it as the 500PP level dosn't suit them, this is more the domain or the hondas but I can beat most of them with the little used and sublime capachino tuned! On expert levels the elise is just in a class of it's own, cornering speed is just way too high along with the breaking, I tend to race the Ferrari512bb on the HSR (yes it's a handfull but just so much fun to drive) I can usualy keep the backend in check with a delicate touch and finish mid pack with the eleises, the good drivers leave the 512 fo dead, funnily though I'm rarely passed by anything other than the 111rs what I have noticed is the guys who can't control the elise too well tend to just miss braking zones and allways take a really tight line and lean on you in the exits, if you try and defend the inside against these guys you just miss there braking zone and punt you off LOL What I do like is people tend to keep out of your way in the 512 it's just one of those cars people like to see on the track, never seen anyone else racing one mind you LOL Should be interesting to see what the new online track list and restrictions bring, my 512 is fully maxed out at 644 heres hopeing for 625 at the HSR! Oh yeah going for the F40 next only other car that gives me a run for my money on the HSR and they do well on Suzuka too unlike my 512 which just hasn't got the corner speed in the slow twistys.

Now intermediate they don't really cut it as the 500PP level dosn't suit them, this is more the domain or the hondas

The tuned can't enter. The 111 has to be severely downgraded on to S tires, and it looses it's cornering speeds. But a 96 Elise can win races, against Hondas or Focus or Capuccinos. Ask Tired_tires, he saw me wining 3 in a row. But it is not easy... so you won't see those chumps using one...

True. hornet_burnout is quick in the Elise '96. I've tried it as well. It's a quick enough car in 500PP but a handful to keep pointing in the right direction!

If people complain enough about the online system then if we are lucky, PD will program in all the restrcitons and limitations that Forza 2 had... [/sarcasm]

First - it is GT5P, not final release... and second, who really cares? It is just a game - once they have private races, all the online issues of bad drivers, car hoggers and wallriders are gone.

This whole situation reminds me of Forza 2's ever so dominant B-Class Mugent Integra and 111 Elise. These cars are easy to drive and can be used on almost every track. Thats not really the problem though. They seem to be more and more common on the leader boards and lobby rooms. It has gotten to the point where thats pretty much all you'll see, and this takes away from the fun factor, making races seem mudane. Especially when everyone seems to follow in with the crowd and pick whatever the fast guys using, instead of taking the time to figure out why the opposing driver/car is faster and using one of the other 100+ vehicles available. Hopefully this wont happen in GT5. What would be the point in having 700+ cars if everyone in the grid is going to have the same vehicle, and cant think for themselves, or have no sense or needs to be diverse.

i was really sad hen i read all this, i dont have GT5P yet, but soon i will (dunno when) anyway ive always liked the elise its light and easy to handle and i was looking forward to having and driving one online

but seeing that most n00bz drive the elise i guess ill have to look for the cars that can also beat them but will have to practice more f430's and such

i hope PD will solve this soon with a patch a penalties that are actually harsh and damage that mechanically affects the car or i dunno but something to stop this madness

I think adding damage will not contribute in this, if you are being rammed, your car will have damage to, if you're in the F430 a hard crash into your backend will be catastrofic since that's where you're engine and drivetrain are!
Penalties are more important, if they're implemented to be fair!!!!!!!! ramming someone with a huge speed difference should mean disqualification and not being able to quit the race (should be impossible anyway)

I think adding damage will not contribute in this, if you are being rammed, your car will have damage to, if you're in the F430 a hard crash into your backend will be catastrofic since that's where you're engine and drivetrain are!
Penalties are more important, if they're implemented to be fair!!!!!!!! ramming someone with a huge speed difference should mean disqualification and not being able to quit the race (should be impossible anyway)

The idea is that some people will be less likely to bash if theres a chance that they'll damage their car and take them out of the race, remember some of them are only bashing to win.
As for those that bash other people just to be annoying, obviously they won't be deterred by damage, but then they won't be stopped by anything except private rooms.

Although, I can see some incidents where people will damage other people's cars and get away with it, especially looking at the current penalty system. So, I also think they should incorprate penalties with damage, hopefully (finally!) flag rules may come into play.

Well, something else that is driving me crazy: the impatient Elises trying to squeeze in the S curves in Susuka when the only reason you are not driving faster is because you are trying to not ram the guy in front of you... Yesterday, 3 times I got pushed out of the way while I was waiting for my chance to overtake the guy in front of me. They just have no idea of what is going on the track. They only see the car in front of them and that's all.
I am also an Elise Driver but oh man, I am tired of these people. I just wish that all driving aids would be disabled in Pro event, at least we wouldn't see them anymore...

PD faces a tough challenge to create a Performance Points system, that balances all cars in each class. It's extemely difficult. Forza 1 had a lot of issues and almost every class was dominated on the leaderboards by 1 or 2 cars.

Forza 2 was a was quite a bit better, but it's not perfect yet either. This is PD's first effort at trying to "balance" online racing. Millions of online racers figure out pretty quickly if a single car(s) are significantly unbalanced. They just check the leaderboards! It may get worked out by GT 5, but that's currently the issue at the moment. Our "online testing" in GT 5 will help them quite a bit. I'm dying to buy a G25 and get into some online racing, so I hope they figure it out soon.

Here is an interesting article done a couple of months back, that examines the Forza 2 leaderboards and looks at the relative balance. Most races online had a pretty good mix of cars. It can be done, but it's not easy. In Forza 2 there were issues with the Elan and Lotus Elise, that were patched. Hopefully, PD will be up to the task by the release of GT 5. The results in Prologue leaderboards will help. I'm sure they know performance points are working quite right yet.

Click here for the full article describing each class.

Here's the A Class (my favorite class) S & B summary.

Class A Summary:
Along with Class B, one of the most diverse classes with 12 different cars making the list, although only 3 cars represented ~75% of the market. Lead by the #1 1967 Stingray (our Class B and Class A champion) at 36.63% followed by the Elise 135R (19.72%) and the 1969 Charger (19.72%). The surprise at this point is how the Elise 135R (a former "dominant" car across multiple classes) has faded and the spectacular emergence of the 1967 Stingray which didn't appear on any of my lists before. It's also nice to see the 1969 Charger break loose of the 1970 Chevelle's shadow and be the pure muscle car of choice at this level. Some fleeting appearances are made by several cars in this class: some "classic rubber" (1969 2000GT, 1969 Fairlady Z, and 1969 Camaro Z28) along with some old faces from v1 and previous lists: Honda NSX-R and F355 Challenge. And a special shout out to John Wendl's trusty steed (Infinity G35 - 2.82%) making it's only appearance.

Class B Summary:
This is the class that I would call the best balanced in the game. With the #1 car (1967 Stingray) only having 23.46% (lowest #1 car for any of the classes) and having 13 different cars make the first page of the leader boards. The biggest movers and shakers here are the addition of the #1 car -1967 Stingray (23.46%) and the resurgence of our Forza1 rocket: Honda CR-X (19.75%). Some other cameos of note: Dodge SRT4 (4.94%), 1973 Trans Am (1.23%) yeah baby!, Exige Espionage and Renault 5 Turbo (1.23%).

Class S Summary:
No 1 is no surprise here, the Saleen S7 is (as was the case in v1) dominant car. Owning almost a third (31.88%) of the tracks. A new (vintage) car on the scene with 17.39% was the 1969 432R. <gush> My favorite car in the whole world - 1966 Ford GT40) 13.04% and 6.15% in Class U </gush> comes in at #3. The rest of the list is an od mix of Lotus (Exige Cup 10.14%, Elise 135R 8.70%, Espionage 4.35%, and Exige 1.45%) and some interesting "tweener" cars: Porsche Cayman (7.25%), Skyline R34 Nur (2.90%) and Pagani Zonda (1.45%). The only real surprise here is the emergence of the 1969 432 R.

It's interesting to note there is also a risk/reward to some cars, which helps balance things out. Some cars (I'm looking at you muscle cars!) are pretty good on some "top times" scoreboards, but they aren't easy to drive with all that horsepower, so online you don't see them as often, because they are inconsistent. Damage also tends to slow down these difficult to drive cars, because hitting a wall or another car "may" do enough damage to keep you off the podium. Lastly, some rooms will turn off Traction Control to hamper muscle cars. Often you won't see two of the same car in an online race. I drove an Eagle Talon and they were few and far between! :crazy:

PD has some time to fix/improve the performance points issue before GT 5 releases. They need to get the balance right (or close to it) and let the cars win or lose based upon the drivers skill. Masking issues with programming logic to speed up the back markers or slow down the leaders shouldn't be a part of GT 5. Leave that kind of programming logic to Mario Kart.

Today I had lots of "fun" at Fuji F. At best half of the people were driving tuned Lotuses, mostly 111Rs and quite often I looked in the rear view mirror of my R8 I saw a tuned Lotus behind me and then got rammed at the next bend.

Back