Open Differential Drifting

• Thread starter GhostZ
  • 97 comments
very technical post but I still for the life of me can't see anyone with a 60/60/60 LSD drift smoothly or consistently. I do lack some knowledge in LSD irl but in the game. I understand what it does and deceleration anywhere near 60 is just a pain to drift.

very technical post but I still for the life of me can't see anyone with a 60/60/60 LSD drift smoothly or consistently. I do lack some knowledge in LSD irl but in the game. I understand what it does and deceleration anywhere near 60 is just a pain to drift.

Acc at 60 and your just wheel spinning...well my cars are anyway!!
no more than 40 for me :-)

Then i'd suggest both of you spend some more time practicing. If you guys think that a real life drifting instructor, and a couple of real life drifters are wrong just because it feels odd... Doesn't strike me as responsible. :s

Wow.. Looking back at my previous post, even MY eyes hurt from reading the pink o.o I'll stick with purple. Oh and um... crap what was I gonna say... Oh um any ideas on how to get a camaro going fluidly with differential settings? I think mine are at the stock settings 10/40/IDK lol Let me know what ya'll think.

Then i'd suggest both of you spend some more time practicing. If you guys think that a real life drifting instructor, and a couple of real life drifters are wrong just because it feels odd... Doesn't strike me as responsible. :s

Well, you also have to understand that real life setups don't work on GT5

You're using a wheel right? If you can't drift a car with a 60 60 60, 5 60 60 or, (like TT says), 10 60 60 it's not the differential. Could you pass me one of your setups?

Acc at 60 and your just wheel spinning...well my cars are anyway!!
no more than 40 for me :-)

What do you think drifting is about? The more traction you have the less control you have...

Well, you also have to understand that real life setups don't work on GT5

Not all of them, but the diff part of the setups do actually work and make a huge difference.

You're using a wheel right? If you can't drift a car with a 60 60 60, 5 60 60 or, (like TT says), 10 60 60 it's not the differential. Could you pass me one of your setups?

my diff setups make it easy for me to stay close and check up behind someone while still maintaining the angle. Also the way it's setup I can throw my car into a turn at maximum lock and let off the throttle to keep it at full lock. For me not having a clutch I have to find ways to get as much angle as the car can get and still be able to hit the clip. The way I set it up helps me to do just that.

Ok lets get something straight I owned a widebody drift spec 180sx and a s14a strawberry in 2004, I also use to import crates of parts from Japan... been into drifting since 1992 I own almost every option DVD and drift related video which I have studied... So to learn their setups... Setup videos were from around 2002 hot version... so do me and yourself a favour princess and stop relating this game to real life....as for this game ive been playing it since psone and drifting in games since racing lagoon... So dont preach to the choir :-)

So confused on which drift monkey is the one on my list (plays dramatic music from the first part to the movie jack*** number one goes like ohhhaa dhaaa who ha tiss tiss)

Ok lets get something straight I owned a widebody drift spec 180sx and a s14a strawberry in 2004, I also use to import crates of parts from Japan... been into drifting since 1992 I own almost every option DVD and drift related video which I have studied... So to learn their setups... Setup videos were from around 2002 hot version... so do me and yourself a favour princess and stop relating this game to real life....as for this game ive been playing it since psone and drifting in games since racing lagoon... So dont preach to the choir :-)

I don't care how long or what level of drifting you did. Not fully locking your diff is USEless, the more tirespin the more corrections you can make. If you wanna be one of the grippy peeps that always use fu cked up diff settings to be fast and win comps, be my guest. But don't think that that makes sense on a video game.

Gonales
I don't care how long or what level of drifting you did. Not fully locking your diff is USEless, the more tirespin the more corrections you can make. If you wanna be one of the grippy peeps that always use fu cked up diff settings to be fast and win comps, be my guest. But don't think that that makes sense on a video game.

I agree with you a lot.
Like i showed you on my cobra it ran that 5/5/5 it isn't really fast she is smooth and slow. But that's with the power upgrades and what and why I had it like that i told you about. You know. But yeah i just hate the corrections and touchy it gets with a locked diff.

Who knows maybe with the G27 i am getting it might change that. Because the way i tune is to get the best results without a clutch. But when I have a clutch i don't think I will have to do the 5/5/5 as much at least or not at all. But that's why i do that.

But yeah some real life setups don't work. Some do. There are some factors that differ in this but yeah.

By the way did you ever get the cobra with your tune you wanted me to try done? If so send it I'll try it after I move

Gonales

Your an angry little thing arent you... Anyway stop chatting and join me on gt5!! as all I ever see you do is chat...and comps were soooo 2011 hahaha

I'm one of those peeps that us a 5/60/5 in everything now. Wheel spin is my friend, and have found speed and angle in the suspension and gearing.

driftmonkey1971
Your an angry little thing arent you... Anyway stop chatting and join me on gt5!! as all I ever see you do is chat...and comps were soooo 2011 hahaha

I don't think she is angry hahaha. I think it is just the way she words things.

Reading this thread is like reading the whole encyclopedia. Such big paragraphs, I can't be bothered reading pages 2-3 and the rest of 4 LOL

Atleast it's not pages 1-3 and then 4 ;) But yea seems that since people can't double post I think they try to get everything into one. Usually the bigger the post, the more in-depth they could tell you if they wanted too :lol:

JDMTuningJZX90
Reading this thread is like reading the whole encyclopedia. Such big paragraphs, I can't be bothered reading pages 2-3 and the rest of 4 LOL

Why come to a place for information if you don't want to read :odd:.

fastfox400
I'm one of those peeps that us a 5/60/5 in everything now. Wheel spin is my friend, and have found speed and angle in the suspension and gearing.

Yes thats right but you also need grip... Thats why were given a 2 way diff you can tune.. Not one that is fully locked.

Test say 30 acc on a corner you been running 60 on you will find the car will hold same angle but take corner faster which is what you want....right. Speed angle execution.

By the way I dont want to keep making corrections!!
I want to be smooth an consistent. :-) I want to be able to feel the wheels spin to the point were car starts to grip, an spin! then I can put the car where I want. I very rarely go above 550bhp.

If you really want to tune your diff add me im on daily in a good drift room with long term drifters who dont post here but would be glad to help lead yall in right direction. Right gt5 time :-)

Last edited:
You can fix your no grip problems easily. If your car is 550bhp, then lower it. I run my cars usually at 300-450hp no matter what the max power is. More hp you have the more wheelspin, and slow wheelspin adds grip, so shouldn't less power=less wheelspin=more grip/control?

LPTuner
You can fix your no grip problems easily. If your car is 550bhp, then lower it. I run my cars usually at 300-450hp no matter what the max power is. More hp you have the more wheelspin, and slow wheelspin adds grip, so shouldn't less power=less wheelspin=more grip/control?

Power limiter yuck

You don't need to use the Power Limiter if you don't heavily mod your cars. Most of my good drift cars only have ECU chip-exhaust-and maybe a few little things till I have it where I like it.

LPTuner
You don't need to use the Power Limiter if you don't heavily mod your cars. Most of my good drift cars only have ECU chip-exhaust-and maybe a few little things till I have it where I like it.

That's what I do too.

If you really want to tune your diff add me im on daily in a good drift room with long term drifters who dont post here but would be glad to help lead yall in right direction. Right gt5 time :-)

Diffs: 5 60 60, 5 60 5, 5 60 30 are all viable. (Maybe 60 60 60 as well, idk). The rest doesn't make sense.
And believe me, people with other diff settings won't tandem with me, simple as ^^ They're selfish, imo.

Gonales
Diffs: 5 60 60, 5 60 5, 5 60 30 are all viable. (Maybe 60 60 60 as well, idk). The rest doesn't make sense.
And believe me, people with other diff settings won't tandem with me, simple as ^^ They're selfish, imo.

I tandem with you and I don't use those settings... Sad face... Hahahaha just kidding about the sad face. But yeah

I tandem with you and I don't use those settings... Sad face... Hahahaha just kidding about the sad face. But yeah

Watch me and Decoy, or Ono on a good day, then you'll re-think if what we do is tandeming :P

But youre using 5 5 5 right? Which is still lots better than a stock setup, or something in the middle.

Gonales
Watch me and Decoy, or Ono on a good day, then you'll re-think if what we do is tandeming :P

But youre using 5 5 5 right? Which is still lots better than a stock setup, or something in the middle.

Yeah i know... And yeah I am using 5/5/5. It is sort of like 60/60/60 but instead of that instantaneous lock. It seems to be applied in a smoother way (i don't know how to word it hahaha)

But yes the stock setups on most cars use that 1.5 way LSD (10/30/15) which is weird.

So does this mean I could do better then I am by tuning the diff? I'm using the camaro SS stock diff settings atm.

I tandem with Decoy and Ono... Door to door without those settings.

So does this mean I could do better then I am by tuning the diff? I'm using the camaro SS stock diff settings atm.
Camaros are very grippy. A quicker acceleration and lower torque helps get that nice angle...deceleration for off throttle response. I suggest for a Camaro, maybe 12/50/15. But all tunes are subjective.

Last edited:
Back