"Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising" Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Blitz187
  • 183 comments
I'm actualy just off out airsofting for the weekend, I'll be back sunday so will be up for some then.

Played the "infriltratio" game last night with 2 of my usual cp-op buddys.....Whitewash is an understatement! decoyed the eemy away from the airstrip with 1 shot, left a trail of destrction for them to follow then simply nipped round and in the backdoor, even held the tower for 10 mins before destroying it just to rub there noses in it a bit more. none of our team took a single bullet, fantastic game mode.

I'm edging dangerously close to a platinum right now, my first infact. Only a few bonus objectives to go and completing a mission without dying and I have it. Then I'll move on to the mini missions and try competitive online again. I found it dominated by to many classes though which really dampened the fun for me.

Also, now 1 trophy til I break my platinum virginity.

Last edited:
Wow, I just bought this game and I'm already done with it. I'm so dumb... should've rented it. I mean it was neat and stuff but how many times am I going to kill random chinese people? The campaign story is pitiful. Multiplayer on the consoles is also meaningless.

I think this game should only be played on Hardcore, it makes the experience much better. I've been using Normal to get my last trophies and the game is just that much less fun. Similarly, this game is much more fun on co-op then alone, 4 human players would be the way to go, unfortunately, I've only ever had 1 human team-mate as I don't want to play with randoms.

2 nice glytches/ secrets have come to light in the game, Now I won't spoil it by saying how, go youtube it if you want to try it. First up you can at a specific point go and free roam the entire island, no "leaving mission area" warnings given. theres alot of areas that are not used in the current setlist of maps and senarios, places such as the volcano an quarry......which leaves a huge scope for future DLC. Next up ties in a little with future DLC, theres actualy a very easy way of getting into "locked" vehicles....attack choppers AA guns......basicly everything that you can't get in during single player missions........again when you watch the vehicles there fully speced with various vehicle and weapon specific displays and interiors meaning they should play a big role in future DLC.

Watching one of the videos of a guy moving quickly accross the map in a jeep with no aparent loading points it dose seem like the WHOLE map is loaded in there so making battles which stretch from one coast to the other seems quite plausable to do, Can't wait to see what CM come up with, just wish console version had the map editor.....but I guesse if they gave us that there would be no market for official maps and senarios via DLC.

Hey guys,

I got this game on releaes too and apart from the bugs and lack of scope Im really impressed. Have had some sensationally epic co-ops but not really got into the other multi-p games as yet.. the few I have played were a bit sad and I think the choice of only a couple maps each is a real shame.

Hope is on (free) DLC expanding the game to what it should have been sold as... then I will have no dramas paying for future DLC.

my PSNid is ll__VENOM__ll so add me to your friends list for some MP.
(2 L's, 2 Underscores VENOM 2 underscores, 2L's)

Hey guys,

I got this game on releaes too and apart from the bugs and lack of scope Im really impressed. Have had some sensationally epic co-ops but not really got into the other multi-p games as yet.. the few I have played were a bit sad and I think the choice of only a couple maps each is a real shame.

Hope is on (free) DLC expanding the game to what it should have been sold as... then I will have no dramas paying for future DLC.

my PSNid is ll__VENOM__ll so add me to your friends list for some MP.
(2 L's, 2 Underscores VENOM 2 underscores, 2L's)

I will add You to friends list or you can send me a friend request if you want

ENERGIYA--V2

Sameone should organise a time & date for a 4 player co-op, i'm having a hard time on hardened difficulty. keep dying, i'm not for off getting platinum but hardened difficulty is stopping me.

Also does anybody know what would be time best mission to get the AT mine vehicle kill & how do you kill & enemy with helicopter.

The mine one, I think the airfield mission is a good one if you can find some AT mines, plant them on the road where the APCs come BEFORE taking the airfield completely.

The chopper without using the guns? Crush someone! Note: trophys work in online multiplayer to (not just co-op).

Oh and, struggling with hardened? Wait for the joys of Hardcore :lol: Seriously though, it all clicked for me on around mission 5 or 6 and then it was only taking a couple of attempts or sometimes first time, to complete various missions. Similarly, I got all the bonus objectives on first completion for the final half of campaign but not the first half, during my first play through, although being on Hardcore first time probably meant I had a steeper curve to begin with.

Remember, things might, and probably will, go wrong at some point during each mission. It's rare that every plan on every engagement will go well, if all else fails either, hit the deck, deploy some smoke (optional) and then just run away, regroup, heal up, and try again (or all of those, but I wouldn't advise trying to crawl away from attacking foes, they'll just flank you). The longer you decide to slug through a messy fight, the more likely you'll lose team-members. Unless you're in the utmost hurry to do something, it's better to cut your losses early as once you're down to 2 men or less, things get really difficult but still doable.

I'll be up for a 4 player co-op, but I see a big time difference coming in to play, and I have currently lost my voice, and I don't want to be online late in the week as my fellow students in my flat won't be pleased. That said, as long as I can listen, I can receive orders, and enemies I spot are called out anyway, as are kills etc. Tactical advice I can give via text chat before each engagement when things are quiet.

I tend to work some weird hours mate, so will add you anyway : )

One point about the smoke, they did a sensational job on it in this game and I wish the tire smoke in GT5 was the same quality when pulling burnouts.... the only problem is that the AI can see straight through it. : (

Thats for advice dragonistic, add me to your friends list in-game

Oh yeah, are there tanks & attack helicopters you can use in campaign mode or are they online vehicle's only.

Last edited:
There are vehicles in the campaign, a fair few, which you can access. There's a chopper and jeeps on the first mission, tanks are fewer but there's usually a way to get hold of a jeep on many missions. I see vehicles as bullet magnets though, so I avoid.

I'm getting through hardened difficulty slowly, just got through mission 2. I'll still like to know were to find the attack helicopter just to try it out.

On mission 1, the small island, there's a beach on the west side (Westside is de best [/Ali G]) at the north end, is a small bunker and arrangement. After taking the village and clearing the LZ, head here and you also get another secondary objective. Just on the ridge above the beach, there's a big green ammo box as well containing the M82 sniper rifle and some other goodies. Down the ridge, not far from the objective sits the helicopter. HOWEVER, be aware that another secondary objective (which you're likely aware of) located at the north end of the island, is destroying a SAM site, so either destroy that before taking flight, or avoid it when in the air.

Also note: The chopper is a PLA transport.

Theres a glytch regarding vehicles, basicly you can get in any of the "locked" vehicles, simply drive a vehicle into the back of any locked vehicle, get out then get in the locked one! be it tank, apc, heli ect ect theres videos on youtube if your strugleing, taking the AA APC on the mission after the runway is a bit of a laugh. As for conection issues, the servers were taken down for a few hours 2 days ago on the PC and PS3 side and things have seemed better, also the patch is finished and in QA so that should be with us soon also

I'll keep that vehicle glitch in mind, although I rarely use vehicles as I never feel safe in one.

Also, since they did whatever they did to the servers, things ran much smoother for me, no trouble connecting at all.

They bought more bandwith....usual story LOL watch your ping rates though when playing online can still cause issues. The vehicle Glytch can be used in conjunct with the freeroam glytch on level 9, possible to get an allied attack chopper and go fly the entire map!

Nope.. another disappointment. The counter argument is that a force wouldnt have all its Troops deployed at all places at all times, especially when the battle is being fought in stages, so from this perspective it makes sense.
I would like to know, however, if its possible to take out the SAM sites and other hard targets that would come into play in later missions. If I free roam now and blow them, will they "re-appear" when I get to the related mission.

There is a patch and possibly some DLC due in a week or two to fix the issues and disappointments expressed in the official forum.
This friday the details of the patch are to be released so at least we can see what we can expect.

No PLA or any forces outside the mission, free roam is simply a way of going and checking out all the areas on the map, you can see some really spectacular areas that must be used in future DLC, volcano and quarry being 2 main ones.
Sorry about the invite tonight Dragon, had a full co-op going on, by the time we switched to confrontration you'd gone offline.

No PLA or any forces outside the mission, free roam is simply a way of going and checking out all the areas on the map, you can see some really spectacular areas that must be used in future DLC, volcano and quarry being 2 main ones.
Sorry about the invite tonight Dragon, had a full co-op going on, by the time we switched to confrontration you'd gone offline.

Gone offline? I only just went offline about 10 minutes ago (4:05 am). I still can't use my headset though, well I can but only to listen, as my voice is still lost for now. You wouldn't want to hear my relentless coughing anyway!

I ventured into public co-op today, to try and get a rank up as I still hadn't gone up from the basic. It's good to see alot of people paying attention and generally thinking things through, even if they get it wrong sometimes. The stealth missions, or times when it's best to avoid combat, become a little annoying as some people haven't learnt to not engage sometimes and then they spoil it for everyone else. I generally just do as people ask as I've done it all my own way already and it's interesting to see how other people think and use tactics. Sometimes I do ignore orders though, for instance a guy was on the mission where you stealth into a fuel depot, blow the generator yada yada. He wanted everyone to go inside the depot, whereas I decided it better to cover the exit from a nearby hillside. Unfortunately, somehow they got spotted just after planting the charge, and the guy with the detonater died, along with another guy, and then the host quit upon things going wrong. Why I'm unsure as I know for a fact, even when things go wrong on that mission, you can complete it the loud way, quite easily infact if you run back to the hillsides and open ground where you can pick people off from the trees. A good nights gaming overall, and I continue to enjoy the game each time I play it. Although sometimes I'm just not in the mindset for it, it's not a game you can play much when you just wanna pick up and play but 9/10, I'm up for a go on co-op. Still not a big fan of the normal competitive modes though, although I've only done 3 matchs, they are just so easily dominated by attack helicopters and snipers on certain maps.

weired I saw you in an irish game then you wen't offline? We had ago at the deathmatch game mode, just 4 of us, 2 on each team, each man controling a squad. it was a riot. we did use the hli but it was used primarily as a spotter platform. and a transport, the guns just were used to defend from small arms fire, shoot at me I shoot back , hide from me and I'll not waste the limited ammo. Oh and the oil depot mission can be done the loud way, did it last night after a missed shot on a sentery at the op blew our cover. bit of a turkey shoot but managed it easily enough, thing to watch for though is the enemy attack chopper, if it opens up on you in the depot it starts taking out alot of the structures trying to get you....if it takes too many out it's mission over.

When things went badly for me, I just stuck to the north side. I had deliberately gone loud in the knowledge that I'd stir up a hornets nest trying to get the bonus objective for this mission, and then have to try and get the main so decided to get the diversion, then sit at the bottom of the hill to the north and just fire down from range. It was a relatively simple, if still intense fight, and I literally cleared the entire depot of PLA which meant I could run in, do the main and bonus and run out unchallenged.

A quick update on my progress so far, after hitting many major milestones tonight. I'll hit you with the stats. Note: Still mainly co-op, not really enjoying the competitive modes much, and read straight from the stats page)

Campaign Completions: 2 (Hardcore both, once 2 man co-op, first time solo)
Trophies: 100% Platinum
Confirmed Kills: 1071
KIA: 21
Small Arms Accuracy: 29% (Note: emplaced MGs are included in this, bringing this stat down)
Small Arms Kills: 892
Armor Kills: 90
Anti-Air Kills: 6
Distance Travelled
Foot: 162 Klicks
Air: 24 Klicks
Ground Vehicle: 27 Klicks
Boat: 385 Metres
Total: 213 Km
Enemy Vehicle Kills: 60
Total Mission Time: 21:49:55
Of which as Team Leader: 17:58:47
Primary Objectives Completed: 141
Secondarys: 62

I haven't completed the game yet. I've only gotten up to the mission 5 (I think, the one where you rescue the pilots). My friend and I, in co-op, managed to get a kill with a sniper rifle from 1270 meters though. He was shooting and I was spotting. It was pretty ridiculous really, we were all the way up on top of the mountain ridge at the end of the second mission and I spotted some guys near the lake to the south. It must have taken at least 10 shots before we got a hit.

Back