"Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising" Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Blitz187
  • 183 comments
The biggest problem I was having was figuring out how to chain multiple orders together. I figured it out tonight and it really, really helped me out. Level 5 where you have to take over the airfield was destroying me, because you had to take over the spooter post very quickly. After I figured out how to chain a few commands together it made my team much quicker to get to the tower, after clearing out the airfield some.

This game got alot better for me tonight after I figured out the controls. Screw strategy guides, I just had to actually sit down and experiment some. I really hope they add some more online versus maps. If they do I could be playing this game for a long time.

I still don't know how to chain commands and part of me doesn't want to, I check the map so often that my orders ever change with the tides of war.

Isn't it something like holding R2 when you issue them?

DLC from CM is already lined up so expect it soon, seems theres free and paid for DLC in the works which is good. I got absaoutly boged down last night on the bonus ambush mission playing co-op. Tried everything, left flank up the hill, right flank up the hill, both flanks at the same time, sennding a team as decoy on one flank then sneaky beaky on the other. I then went for house to house, still no joy, I even went for the "jump in truck crash through middle" still no joy LOL Have to say it really is a good level but very very hard, saying that some will walk it and complain it's too easy LOL

Good rightup Dragon, prety much got the infantrys andbook down pat. The game uses the american infantry guide which is simplistic at certain manouvers, it assumes you (as an american soldier) will allways have the fire supremacy in any firefight, thus it's a very offence orientated system. But with a bit of lateral thinking with the orders you can "adapt" them to the UK tactics making things a little more interesting, especialy using some of the more exotic special forces manouvers. One realy useful tip is to lay an ambush for any forces hunting you down, the "fire on my comand" and the ability to place individuals in set positions helps lot, also a bit of C4 in the killing ground dosn't hurt either LOL

Thats something I do upon breaking contact, heal up and sit tight for a little while to see if the enemies come after me and pick them off. However, I'd say 90% of the time the AI doesn't come after me unless they still have a strong squad number which they usually don't unless they're defending in which case they will hesitate to advance. That said, the first night mission (IIRC) can see you in really big trouble from multiple squads searching for you. During a co-op on this mission, me and my buddy (plus 2 AI) found ourselves proned under fire with 2 gunships circling above, once the choppers left us alone, we moved and waited to pick off a couple of infantry before falling back towards the next objective.

The main tactical skill is accurate assessment of the situation, something which is difficult to teach or explain. I often react almost automatically to the given combat environment and send out tactics almost passively leaving me to concentrate on my own sights. Picking your targets is also key (something I missed off last time), depending on the objective. Friendly armour nearby? Concentrate on AT gunners and anything blocking your path to them ASAP as the armour will help you massively and the other AI outside your fire team will often not help you much. Similarly helping random AI squads can be later beneficial but sometimes you simply can't go off your main objective to do these things.

Hi guys, is this game worth getting, I've got Modern warfare 2 prestige on order & i wonderd what's it like.

If i do get it, anybody is welcome to send friend requests to ENERGIYA--V2
This PSN will be for Modern warfare 2 as well.

360 version

If you are into tactical shooters then this is one of the most "tactical" shooters you will see on the 360. It is not run and gun like the COD series. This is a very slow moving game and if you walk out you will die instantly. If you are not into tactical shooters then rent it to be safe. Overall it is a great game IF you are into tactical shooters.

I prefer run and gun shooters so this one wasnt for me.

Hi guys, is this game worth getting, I've got Modern warfare 2 prestige on order & i wonderd what's it like.

Like hardcore tactics and a more realistic approach to FPS? Like OF. Like running around doing whatever you feel like doing and racking up hundreds of kills, like COD, dislike OF. It's not perfect, but it does what it does well and is almost unique to consoles. There's little to compare it to, but most will agree that you have to take this game seriously with your tactics and such. This game relies as much on your brain, if not more, then your trigger finger.

Now I love the COD series, they are great fun and I have had my copy of MW2 on pre-order for months. However OF2 plays nothing like the COD series at all.

As an example I have just had my first real go at the opening training level (not that it trains you much) and it took me a good hour and a half to finish. Now by finish I have to admit that I missed one of the secondary objectives, however the vast majority of the time was spent moving (very slowly), planing and putting my team and myself into position.

I would estimate that only 5 - 10 minutes of that time was actually involved in firefights. However the buzz when you position your guys to provide suppressing fire and you flank the four 'tangos' and finish them off is great.

Most certainly a thinking mans FPS and that's a rare thing in this day, well worth every penny in my book, but nothing like COD at all.

Regards

Scaff

As an example I have just had my first real go at the opening training level (not that it trains you much) and it took me a good hour and a half to finish. Now by finish I have to admit that I missed one of the secondary objectives, however the vast majority of the time was spent moving (very slowly), planing and putting my team and myself into position.

I would estimate that only 5 - 10 minutes of that time was actually involved in firefights. However the buzz when you position your guys to provide suppressing fire and you flank the four 'tangos' and finish them off is great.

Most certainly a thinking mans FPS and that's a rare thing in this day, well worth every penny in my book, but nothing like COD at all.

Quoted for truth. I to confess that I actually skipped BOTH secondary objectives available as my team was wiped out on the final primary (I was on hardcore, it was my first mission and first play so forgive me!). Online co-op is the place to be, with 4 roles per fire team plus multiple ways to complete an objective, things won't get old fast. I was with a friend starting anew campaign for us to co-op through, the first mission took us an hour 37 minutes, completing both secondarys and the large amount of time being caused by the loss of AI team-mates when attempting to take one of those secondarys. Fortunately, as team-leader, I'd saved the artillery, and our dead AI buddies had made enough of a hole for us to mop up and claim 1 of the 2 secondaries. We then took a long, long walk searching for high ground to put the artillery down from without being seen, we simply couldn't afford to engage.

This is another thing which sets OF aside from most FPS games of the generation, engaging enemies is often more dangerous, more risky, and sometimes with no reward at all bar a gunship coming down to destroy you. You really have to pick and choose when you will engage, and when you won't. Sometimes engaging an enemy can help save other friendly units who will later aid you, and on more then one occasion I've found myself tasked with taking out anti-air or anti-tank troops. The longer you take, the more chance you'll lose your precious vehicles or the opportunity for air support or evac, but rushing into things could result in you losing your own life outright.

Making choices so open creates a fantastic sense of achievement when you get it right, particularly on Hardcore when one mistake can end it all, and similarly that you have no HUD aids to help out. Firefights are much more intense when you know you can lose an hours work, general travel are more nervous and vehicle encounters often frightening. Sometimes all of the above comes together to create something truly unique.

Example, during a stealth-ish mission, after successfully completing an objective which makes alot of noise, the PLA forces began to search for me, so I opted to attempt to retreat. Disaster strikes, the PLA forces spot me in open ground with minimal cover and open fire from unknown locations, half surrounding me and the team. 🤬 I think to myself, but at least I can still continue in my desired direction but then... uh oh, not 1 but 2 gunships descend, opening fire on my general locations as I lie prone, fearful that a round could take out one of the team. We have no option but to practically play dead, not knowing where the enemy infantry is moving. The choppers eventually move on, as I rise I find that the infantry have spread out, and one team is flanking. Taking shots to pin down this squad, we make a break for the woods and then quite simply keep on running due to the sheer numbers and strength of the opposing force.

The AI are very clever, infact in just the last mission I played on co-op (one I previously completed) my team (2 ai) and another random AI fireteam that I helped out are on convoy in 2 hummers. We drop the hummers off for a quick search of a location, then proceed up a hill in some woods to take out some MG nests and head towards our next objective. Choppers cause yet more trouble, AI comes down the large hill towards the now USMC occupied MG nests. I take the 2 or 3 squads out without much trouble thanks to my M4 Marksman.

Now here's what shocked me. I hear a vehicle approaching, turn around and just over the hill at about 30 metres is one of the humvees. Suspicious (I was sure the other fire team was still nearby), the squad disembark, and at the same time as I spot the distinctive PLA weaponry and camo, they open fire upon us! Fortunately, my suspicious sense has meant I quickly took out 2 of the 3 in 3 rounds at this range, and the final in another 2, dropping the squad in around 4-5 seconds with supporting fire from the squad and friendly team. Amazed that the PLA had followed us, stole our hummer and then used it against us, the friendly fireteam claims the hummer they drove to us, so we head back to briefly investigate the other hummer. All is quiet but much to my shock there's a PLA jeep parked by where we left the hummers, and the second hummer nearby.

Thats right folks, they followed us in their jeep at distance presumably, which I now remembering spotting in a village which we drove through firing at will, hijacked our empty hummer whilst we were busy 500metres further up the hill, and snook up behind us in ambush! To think if I hadn't have heard the vehicle, been paying attention to the other friendly unit, and acted upon suspicion, that could have very, very easily caused the loss of an entire fire-team in a matter of seconds at such range.

I'm loving the "war stories" this game produces, I was chating to a mate who's ex kings regiment, he's got the 360 version and an hour later he was still recunting enemy engagments ant flanking manouvers from the game LOL But thats a testament to how involveing this game gets, you are completly sucked into what your doing. Take COD, the single player was great, but it was totaly scripted, you remember the missions for the story not what you actualy did, now OFP 2 isn't scripted, you do whatever you like, no real story mode other than a mission objective, but because your engaged so completley in every action of the mission and the tension is so great it's more memorable. The thing is, play the same missoin 10 times and I doubt you would play it adsactly the same 2 times in a row unless you activley tried to, theres allways "a better, faster, safer way" And co-op just increases this open structure more and more. As an example of this if an enemy gets you pinned you change your tactics and route of attack, the next time you do the same mission he may not get you pinned so it changes again.

Personaly I've played through that first mission maybe 8 times on co-op and as yet no one has found it boreing or repetertive, which is a good sighn for the longevity of the game. I still haven't done the "ambush" bonus mission on co-op yet, tried many times on what seems an easy, quick mission, but your constantly caught off guard as the enemy have strengh of numbers and a better defensive position than you. Fantastic game and one that is different enough to COD to warrant owning both, but as said above if your not into tactical shooters and prefare reactions over thought then I'd rent it first. Not that COD dosn't require tactics but it's simply not on the same planet when it comes to this aspect of the gameplay.

At the risk of this turning into a war stories thread I will recount my first mission, which I hope will add to the detail already given about exactly what type of game OF2 is.

The opening insertion went all according to plan, close to the first primary objective, a very short hack saw us get nice and close to the defenses near the radar site and the two guards were taken out in short order. Moving up to that and taking out the PLA troops around the radar array was straightforward as the location we had just taken had given us height advantage.

Once we had the array blown the fleets guns were used to take out the village below and those PLA troops that did survive were quickly and easily mopped up by my fire team and a Spec Op team who approached the village from the opposite ridge.

That was about all the help that fate was going to give to us, the rest was down to myself to plan and work out. The last primary objective was to secure the LZ for extraction, a quick move close to that position allowed the approaching PLA riflemen to be spotted and slotted in short order and now if I wanted we could bug out and 'complete' the mission.

The above can be done within 30 minutes, however I opted to go for the secondary targets, which were scattered the length of the Island.

I opted to take a cautious approach up the east side of the island, sticking to the higher ground (but moving 2/3 up the slopes to ensure we were never silhouetted against the sky), and scoping out the way ahead all the time, moving slowly and carefully towards the first secondary target. I split the team into two groups on a ridge line above the target and used the element of surprise to take out a good proportion of the PLA troops. While half of the team was laying down fire, the half I was in took care of the two PLA troops who had attempted to flank our right side). With that done we carefully moved into the base, laid charges and bugged out. Blowing the target when a good distance clear.

Flushed with that win we moved towards the far north of the island and a SAM site that was located by the islands lighthouse. Scoping out the lay of the land from a distance it was clear it was going to be a tricky target, with the base well guarded and the PLA dug in with a four man team on the only high ground above the target.

Using the fading light as cover the team and I slowly moved along the ridge behind the four man team and when we had closed to within 250 meters I got them to lay down suppressing fire while I flanked the rear. I managed to totally get the drop on one who was stood in cover in a ruined building, double tapping the back of his head from pointblank. The rest were so busy with my team they failed to notice allowing me to move behind them and slot two before they knew what had hit them.

The final PLA rifleman ran and hit the dirt a short way down the slope to the base, however I already had a bead on him and he was dead shortly after going prone.

We regrouped and collected all the ammo around, including a bonus prize of a Javelin rocket launcher, and started to prep our assault on the base. We started to move slowly down the treeline, a small PLA force had begin to move up towards us. As the squad support gunner and I took out one of them a piece the world fell apart, a APC we had not spotted in the base opened up on our position with .50 cal rounds. In less that a second half my squad was torn to ribbons, the support gunner and I fell back to ruins and I quickly patched up his injuries.

I got him to provide suppressing fire down the tree line to keep the PLA troops heads down and slide down the other side towards the road, the base, the APC and the unknown.

Fortune favoured me as road was empty and the curve of the rock-face hid me from the APC, I armed the Javelin and moved slowly out around cover to catch sight of the APC, still busy with the position we had been in. As I locked onto the APC I was spotted by troops in the base who started to take shots at me, the Javelin locked and the APC was gone in a blaze of heat and noise. The blast was enough to allow me to drop into cover, breaking contact with the three remaining PLA troops in the base itself, my support gunner having taken care of the remaining troops in the trees.

He moved to cover just ahead of me and started to lay down suppressing fire, as I picked off the PLA troops as they popped out of cover to try and return fire. We bounded forward towards the base wary that anyone else was waiting for us, but we had got them all, charges planted we took a jeep and blew the SAMs.

Strictly speaking we still had one more secondary objective to take out, but with half the squad dead we took to option to bug out to the LZ rapidly, the 2 odd clicks to the LZ were covered at rapid pace in the jeep, blasting past one PLA checkpoint, which threw off a few rounds at us, however we were on the chopper and out of the place before they could catch up.

Quite frankly its a bonkers game, with a level of realism that I have never come across in a console title, even SOCOM doesn't come close.

Scaff

Classic scaff, if you'd have simply gone up the west coast rather than the east at the begining the story would have changed dramaticaly! first you would have hit the ruins above the west sam site, found the ammo crates and got the baret light, what followed would be a lesson in sniping with the 50cal! followed by jumping in the helicopter on the beach below the sam site.......then a quick cabby in the heli to the other 2 remaining sam sites giving you chance to scope out enemy positions from the air. Try it next time on co-op.

Thats one thing I like about this game, there's a back story, but you make the rest yourself. Be it running from chasing forces desperately trying to make it to EVAC, engaging them in a fight to the death, retreating and then re-attacking, the options are so plentiful that I sense by simply assigning a new team leader in co-op, the entire mission could play out completely differently in relation to their differing leadership and tactical style.

I will be getting this game today & anybody is welcome to join me in co-op mode if i need any help with a mission, just send PSN message to me at ENERGIYA--V2 if interested or just send friend request

Thanks
ENERGIYA

Finaly worked out how to host private rooms....things are a lot smoother doing it that way (advanced options match setup) oh and after many attempts did the "ambush" bonus level, co-op, 2 fire teams one right up the hill, one left up the hill, turned the whole village into a killing ground! Trick was to take the truck up the hill and use it as cover by shooting from under it. Not the pretiest of manouvers but it worked LOL
Finished up doing the airfield mission with 3 of us on co-op. really love that mission.

I like this game, you have to plan your attacks instead of going in all guns blazing like COD, taking a bit to get use to it but i like it

Thanks for advice guys about getting it.

Another mission down for me, I am steadily closing on that holy grail of a hardcore completion. 2 missions to go, next one I get to be a stealth sniper team. Now thats my kind of set up.

It's all over, Dragon Rising - Hardcore trophy is now mine, The last mission wasn't as good as some of the others, but it wasn't half bad either. I spent a large proportion of the final objective using other AI fireteams which created a 10 man unit or more at times. Naturally, with little PLA armour to deal with thanks to some RPG work, our 10 man unit was unstoppable in our advance. I won't give away exactly what you're doing, but I've been using friendly AI squads for my own use and they generally make life alot safer through numbers.

comedy moment no6 leming taxi driver
Had a 4 man co-op going last night, we had a new guy and was visiting some classic maps to let him get used to things. Well we hit the airfield, took the control tower and were fending off the second wave of APC's waiting for the heli suport. James (or rambo as he's known LOL) sudenly calls out, "I've got the humve guys where do you want to go?" Now for some reason, mid firefight, he'd wanderd off, got a humvee and brought it back to the control tower with some misconception that we needed or wanted to go somewhere! As we all peered down from the roof thinking he was joking we were indeed greeted with the sight of a humvee just sitting there.......for about 3 seconds, it then mysteriously exploded along with it's deranged taxi driver under a hail of APC fire LOL
I haven't a clue what he was thinking but it was funny.

Damn, the helicopters aren't easy to fly, i found one on first mission, i can take off & fly it no problem but trying to land it is a disaster.

comedy moment no6 leming taxi driver
Had a 4 man co-op going last night, we had a new guy and was visiting some classic maps to let him get used to things. Well we hit the airfield, took the control tower and were fending off the second wave of APC's waiting for the heli suport. James (or rambo as he's known LOL) sudenly calls out, "I've got the humve guys where do you want to go?" Now for some reason, mid firefight, he'd wanderd off, got a humvee and brought it back to the control tower with some misconception that we needed or wanted to go somewhere! As we all peered down from the roof thinking he was joking we were indeed greeted with the sight of a humvee just sitting there.......for about 3 seconds, it then mysteriously exploded along with it's deranged taxi driver under a hail of APC fire LOL
I haven't a clue what he was thinking but it was funny.

Tactical failure? I didn't even risk sitting in the building as soon as I heard a bird was coming in. The chopper would probably send that building to the ground given the chance. I sat behind a small hill just to the side of the building, taking shots until to many APCs were present, then fell back to behind the building on the corners.

Damn, the helicopters aren't easy to fly, i found one on first mission, i can take off & fly it no problem but trying to land it is a disaster.

I had my first go in a chopper on the final mission, I was panicking that it would all go wrong and guess what, it went wrong! The chopper got badly hit with me piloting, it began heading for the ground, hard. Somehow my sixth sense kicked in and I pulled off an emergency crash landing off on a hill in safety. Fortunatelly, none of the team was actually hit and the chopper was repairable, although we didn't need it again.

The airfield mission went well apart from the taxi incident, done it a few times now and sitting in the control tower gives you good cover as long as you take out the enemy heli quickly plus it's a good vantage point, but yeah bullet magnet city up there LOL

The heli......worth taking a bit of time to get used to it. a good tip is to hit the square button (auto hover) if things get awkward, it automaticaly brings the heli to a halt whilst holding it's altitude! probubley the secret of landing that one! Also the heli simulates ground effect in it's physics like a real heli, for those not in the know (no RC flyers in here?) basicly when you reach a certain hight (about the width of the rotors) the heli will try and follow the contor of the ground, what this means is if you try and land on the side of a hill however small, the heli will try and slide down it the lower you get. you can componsate with the pitch and yaw but whilst learning start off with picking flat landing areas. Large clearings, the road or the beach. Once you have this down then try landing on a gentel slope and build up from there!
Heli deployment, you don't actualy have to land to drop guys off, they can "jump" of course not to far LOL but say droping your guys in the water whilst you do a fly by can be a quick and stealthy tactic! Again practice to get your minimum hights and speeds depending on terain.
And finaly, the heli is a great tool, troop deployment, fast transport, spotter, decoy. How you use it is down to your imagination, It dose play a bigger role in the multiplayer than single player but having the basics down is definatly a must do! one think to remember is to use small movement imputs, don't rush it, the transport heli is by it's nature a big heavy lumbering beast!

CM have anounced DLC in the next few weeks and following that some BIG DLC, ie not just new maps and weapons. DLC will be a mix of free and paid for content. Kudos for any more info!

To be honest I find it a little insulting to release DLC so soon after release, I'd rather they have delayed the game and put it in. Unless it's free.

Think the first stuff is free, don't quote me on that though. The "bonus missions" were from various sources, 2 or 3 of which were "won" through a little compertition on the OFP forum which is a Q&A type "game"
The mission editor on the PC version means that "generating" DLC missions for the console versions dosn't take a huge amount of time or testing, hopefully this fact is passed on to the price.

Alright so I got the game. When can we organize a meetup?

I just got offline *doh* I'm only really interested in co-op as it stands, I'm looking to get the bonus objectives for the first 6 missions, leaving me with only a few trophies left before I hit platinum. As I've completed campaign, I feel I should not be team leader, as I already have my own set tactics. Available most weekends.

Back