OT: And you can even play GT4 on this baby

  • Thread starter Thread starter amar212
  • 125 comments
  • 8,748 views
Kaniyodrift
not so much for preferring the old bad bashing the new, it like this... oh well, i'm not even going to bother with explaining to u what i meant - u'll just twist some words and this will continue for ever, but i'll just say this: whenever sth cool or new comes, there will always be ppl who whine'n'bash - it's natural just like when GT4 comes out, there will be ppl who will bash it for not having... say NFSU-like rice-ups... it like this: if u got old PS2 with HDD and Multitap, why are u crying? or, if ur getting the new PS2 and will have to buy different kind multitap - oh noes!

No, no, no.

It's more like people complaining because GT4 looks nicer but has less gameplay, cars etc.
Yes the new PS2 looks nice but it's less functional than the old one, and won't even work with all PS2 games.
You may well call me cynical, but I think that description's more fitting for Sony themselves.
 
okoj
No, no, no.

It's more like people complaining because GT4 looks nicer but has less gameplay, cars etc.
sry, but i still have to disagree with u - i know too many ppl on the net and IRL who put GT3 aside simply because there was no NoS button nor supa phat bumpas :dunce:
 
i wonder if this new model will make swap disc easier or harder to use, since it allreay has a flip top, but its a new model, so a new swap disc will prolly have to be released...

anyway, i wont be getting it for those functionality reasons, no harddrive support, and some games wont work with it.

since i still have my hopes up for HD support, and i havent seen any official news yet, im going to file the "gt4 bundle" in the rumors folder for now,
 
Kaniyodrift
sry, but i still have to disagree with u - i know too many ppl on the net and IRL who put GT3 aside simply because there was no NoS button nor supa phat bumpas :dunce:

and yes that is true, but also irrelevant.

The point of your comparison was to say don't hate it because it's new and my point was that yes it looks nice but when it comes to computers, consoles etc. you're better off taking function over form everytime.
Remember Apple's cube (G3?) it was beautiful to look at, but had so many problems and couldn't be upgraded so was not functional.

If you want to sit and look at your PS2 then I'll agree the new one is much prettier...

but if you want to play every game and utilise the HDD then itsa no good 👎
 
Here is a pic.
 

Attachments

  • newps2.jpg
    newps2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 20
That's awesome 👍
Does anyone know what's the price for that little toy ? :D
 
Those sony marketing people sure know how to make fans kick up a fuss about nothing special!

*sony boss*
"so guys, what ya got"

*sony tech*
"well the guys down at marketing said, "bob, I want a ps2, but smaller, oh and make it so they can't use the HDD, and need different multitaps", well my first thoughts were why bother, but who am I to argue with marketing!"

*sony boss*
"so lets see it"

*sony tech*
"TRAAAA DARRR!!! Took us 5 minutes, the technology's so old, we could have put it into a wrist watch, if it wasn't for that damned dvd drive"

*sony boss*
"WE ARE RICH BEYOND OUR WILDEST DREAMS!!!! Oh and nice job on the multitaps too. BW AHAHAHAH no one will know that we are recycling old technology, and charging more for it, and with less features ho ho, they will be sucked in by it's smallness!"

*all laugh evily at the same time*
BWA HAHAHAHAHAH
 
Cosmic
That's awesome 👍
Does anyone know what's the price for that little toy ? :D


Same as the current PS2, I'm getting one on release day £100 :cheers:

November 1st :cheers:
 
Will GT4 still work on the regular, good old PS2, however? Somehow I fear I'd lose that thing, considering how small it is. 👎
 
Cosmic
That's awesome 👍
Does anyone know what's the price for that little toy ? :D

149 euros
 
Amazon now have a revised release date of October 29
It has been 11/14/04 at EB Games for a lonnnngg time. But who knows. 11/14/04 Release date
The old thread erAser_crAsh made was closed because it had been mentioned that this game wasnt coming out till next year.
 
Just bought my second PS2 ( paid $600 when it first came out ) paid $150 this time around, can;t imagine dropping more on something that is just smaller....
 
Well, my PS2 is 3 years old and now repaired and broken multiple times, and is now in the junkpile. I was going to buy a new one in about 2 weeks, but I might as well wait an extra 2 and get this smaller one. It will be easier to fit into the cockpit I want to build for my Logitech Driving Force Pro:)
 
Here is the question for the new PS2: Can you play "backed up" or "Imported" games on that one?
 
CAMAROBOY69
Here is the question for the new PS2: Can you play "backed up" or "Imported" games on that one?
I doubt it. There is no way Sony would allow anyone to play DVD's or games that are not from your home region. It would have to be hacked or chipped in some way just like curent models. It does say it will play DVD-R's so copies of movies should work fine.
 
Am I the only one to find it slighty ulgy? :confused: ........Its looks like a crushed normal PS2..and I miss the big purple and blue symbol.....I don't think its worth the money.....who would buy it if you have a ps2 already!
 
I like the way it looks and the fact that it takes up less room but I doubt I would buy one. Expecially if it wont play Backed up games or imported games like my old one does. :) 95%of my games are backed up or imported.
 
I live in a good size apartment, PS2 has never left my floor. My Xbox has never left my floor.

What is the point of a small PS2?

For looks? Only time i look at my ps2 is when i change games and turn it on.

Portability? Like i said, my PS2 never leaves my floor. Only way i would buy this thing, is if i decided to put a ps2 in my car. Then it makes sense.

Other then that, this is just a big gimmic by Sony to make more money. But i'm not complainin', more power to them, if they can get morons who already have a ps2 to fork out more money for a "new" slimmer ps2, go for it.

But ask yourself this? Why pay $150(or $100) for ANOTHER PS2 when you can buy an Xbox? Oh yeah i forogot, teh Xbox iz da suxorz. :lol: :rolleyes: You can expand your gaming experience, but a lot of you(THAT DOES NOT MEAN ALL OF YOU) won't give the Xbox a chance cause you're too one track minded.
 
^ I would buy it only if I wanted to put it in a car!......but I have to agree thats its a huge gimmik....its just to keep the ps2 looking fresh to bridge the gap waiting for the Ps3. If it hasnt got any technical advances over the normal PS2 then I don't see the point......as a matter a fact it has less feature (like the Hdd)

p.s........if this new ps2 is a hint at what the ps3 will look like then I am gonna be dissapointed.....
 
CrAcKaJaP206
But ask yourself this? Why pay $150(or $100) for ANOTHER PS2 when you can buy an Xbox? Oh yeah i forogot, teh Xbox iz da suxorz. :lol: :rolleyes: You can expand your gaming experience, but a lot of you(THAT DOES NOT MEAN ALL OF YOU) won't give the Xbox a chance cause you're too one track minded.

Or you can spend that 150$ towards food or clothing, which would in turn mean you have a life. I've got both a PS2 and an Xbox too, and you know what? They're not nearly as fun as my SNES was.
 
PunkRock
Or you can spend that 150$ towards food or clothing, which would in turn mean you have a life. I've got both a PS2 and an Xbox too, and you know what? They're not nearly as fun as my SNES was.

What if you have enough money to cover both? 💡

And for the record, buying clothes and food doesn't=you have a life, they are necessity.
 
i have to agree a waste of $ if you already own a PS2... save it for your PS3 which has been officially announced today that it will be a reality and will use Blu-Ray, 50+GB harddrive, built in Network adapter. no release date as of yet though.
 
No one has mentioned the implication of having an external power supply on this new PS2.

I think there is a real possibility that it will be completely silent. With the powersuply outside the case, it should be possible to cool using convection and conduction only.

The prospect of a silent PS2 alone, is worth the purchace price for the new machine.

And for people like me that only buy a PS2 to play GT4, the new PS2 is perfect timing. I can't beleive my luck, with the prospect of GT4 and new PS2 bundled together, fantastic. I hated the noisey fan on the PS2 I had for GT3, it was awfull.

It's not possible to put a hard drive in the new machine, but wouldn't it be possible to use and external hard drive conected through a usb port?
 
Holy cows that thing is small anyways will GT4 work with the old PS2 because I really dont wanna buy another one plus its too small.
 
Well, it's a nice piece of design and the definitive display of Sony's wizardry on compact devices. They took the PS2's already successful design, worked on it and created an extremely compact console with "almost" the same functionality of it's previous machine. (Let's emphasize the almost part.)

I like it. A lot. It's the kind of device you want to install in your car, connect it on your car's DVD screen and play while your wife do the driving (some of my friends have a PS2 installed on their "rice boy" cars, but the PS2 is too big and some solutions for fitting it in the car are plain ugly).

My only big issue with this slim design is heat dissipation. This is one area the PS2 "classic" is a winner. Sure the fan behind it is a little noisy, but it's ventilation area is huge, keeping it cool every time. And that my friends, is very important where I live. I'm in Brazil, Rio de Janeiro to be more specific. And here, we have some days where temperature reaches 105°F (41°C). And, even in this condition, my 3 year-old PS2 runs like a breeze all day long. And after all that, when you open the dic tray and get the game, the disc isn't even hot!

I believe that, for some regions like tropical countries, the new design will cause problems of overheating and bending (melting) of the body because of high temperatures.
 
pimp racer
will GT4 work with the old PS2 because I really dont wanna buy another one.
Of course it will.
 
Back