OT: And you can even play GT4 on this baby

  • Thread starter Thread starter amar212
  • 125 comments
  • 8,746 views
they don't feel it's rational to buy another PS2 if the previous works fine - so what code_kev does is he bashes it

Make's more sense than buying a second PS2, where's the point ?

The Sony hype machine is hard at work.

What I think of this "baby" PS2 is that i'm sure it will sell well, and I am planning on buying it's "bigger" brother mainly because it's cheaper, I can afford the "Baby" but seriously the PS2 is coming to the end of it's current generation and the PS3 will be upon us i'd rather save my money for the next gen machines, rather than "upgrading" to the "Baby" but congrats to the Sony, they certainly know how to market there products :)

wonder how many "Baby" PSX one's are cluttering up people's cupboard space :dunce:
 
But it makes you happy just to look at it.

One day, I'll be very happy to have all of that plastic crap and to argue with my beloved 105-60-90 blonde long-legged perfect tanned wife about that "**** on the shelves".

European Otaku is my middle name :).
 
amar212
There is always a good news beside the bad one.

The news -about delay - is true, and it is a bad news.

Amar, I think everyone is reading to quickly over this [off topic] issue, but:

Can you give us, as an insider, more detailed info on the delay?
:scared:

wife's do not need to be 105-60-90 and perfectly tanned to argue about **** on shelves, trust me! :)
 
amar212
But it makes you happy just to look at it.

One day, I'll be very happy to have all of that plastic crap and to argue with my beloved 105-60-90 blonde long-legged perfect tanned wife about that "**** on the shelves".

European Otaku is my middle name :).

I understand that aspect, but really in 10 years time will that small peice of plastic that you bought because it looked "cool" make you smile or the bigger console the one that you originally bought...

I still sometimes venture to my loft to get my Spectrum, Amiga's and NES and yes they make me very happy due to alot of chilhood memories tied with them :)

But I still see this "baby" PS2 as a Sony way of making a quick profit before the PS3 is realesed, and seriously I doubt that tiny peice of plastic would survive in my loft with the rest of my "BIGGER" gaming consoles they would crush it :scared:
 
Well, if I'd know the release date, I would be a Man2Know, right? Unfortunatly, all I know is that some delay is expected, due to 4th November which all three Sony's territories were listing for possible GT4 release date.

As I saw the picture of babyPS2 with GT4 inside, I think that we can expect some surprises there. As console is out on 1st Nov, and Nov2004 is still listed at SCEE official PressVault, I think that late November could still be the case. I think, but I can't be sure. This years Novemeber is a major month for PlayStation 2 in last two years - new console, The Getaway: Black Monday, KillZone, R&C3, Jak 2, Sly 2 - it will be a month to make millions. With GT4 - billions.
 
thats a classic one - the sour grapes argument
anyone who has learned even tiny bit of philosophy knows it, but let me break it down anyways:
code_kev wants the new PS2, but his parents won't buy it since he already has a PS2 and XBox - they don't feel it's rational to buy another PS2 if the previous works fine - so what code_kev does is he bashes it

Damn, it's as if you read my mind ;) :D :D
 
code_kev
Those sony marketing people sure know how to make fans kick up a fuss about nothing special!

*sony boss*
"so guys, what ya got"

*sony tech*
"well the guys down at marketing said, "bob, I want a ps2, but smaller, oh and make it so they can't use the HDD, and need different multitaps", well my first thoughts were why bother, but who am I to argue with marketing!"

*sony boss*
"so lets see it"

*sony tech*
"TRAAAA DARRR!!! Took us 5 minutes, the technology's so old, we could have put it into a wrist watch, if it wasn't for that damned dvd drive"

*sony boss*
"WE ARE RICH BEYOND OUR WILDEST DREAMS!!!! Oh and nice job on the multitaps too. BW AHAHAHAH no one will know that we are recycling old technology, and charging more for it, and with less features ho ho, they will be sucked in by it's smallness!"

*all laugh evily at the same time*
BWA HAHAHAHAHAH

....

*microsoft*
"So...let's get into this whole "console thing" why don't we?"

*tech*
"sure...what should we do?"

*ms*
"well...make it really big...an HDD that really does nothing, oh but you can make your own soundtrack *gasp*....make it so you have to pay more to use the DVD, let's sell memory cards to make more money, make big controllers that no one likes, then make them smaller and sell them to make even more money,....it'll be just great!"

don't act like microsoft isn't interested in your wallet too...the only reason Microsoft hasn't made the xbox smaller is because they didn't design the hardware, it's all from other people...they just make the money off it, just like the stole the windows concept...microsoft is not that great either my friend.
 
Front
Make's more sense than buying a second PS2, where's the point ?

The Sony hype machine is hard at work.

What I think of this "baby" PS2 is that i'm sure it will sell well, and I am planning on buying it's "bigger" brother mainly because it's cheaper, I can afford the "Baby" but seriously the PS2 is coming to the end of it's current generation and the PS3 will be upon us i'd rather save my money for the next gen machines, rather than "upgrading" to the "Baby" but congrats to the Sony, they certainly know how to market there products :)

wonder how many "Baby" PSX one's are cluttering up people's cupboard space :dunce:

in all honesty I think sony actually knows what this is going to sell most for. Cars. Sure people own PS2's, but people would rather have this small slender thing in their car rather than the older "bulky" (still small compared to xbox, lmao)...see what I mean? It's an entirely different market. Also...PS3 won't be out until mid 06, mark my words.
 
*average user*

"cool it has a HDD, I'm gonna mod it!"

*10 minutes later*

"Cool, I can play n64 games, watch div x movies, have custom sound tracks, save LOADS AND LOADS of games with out the need of a memory card), games load faster, I can listen to mp3s (using win amp playlist and ftping from pc, and saving on hdd if you want) watch region free dvds (with out a remote, oh and the play back is better then the ps2s, oh and you can use an rgb cable, no green screen o death here), play snes, mega drive games, psx games, browse the internet, ftp to and from my pc, edit text documents, check the weather ;), save my games on the HDD, and I can't wait till I stick a loverly 80 gig hdd in etc etc, and that idiot tha con said the hard drive was useless!"

tha con, I'm not some MS fan boy ok, so stick that idea up your arse. The controllers on the xbox were made smaller, because the previous ones were a joke, and I have never bought an xbox memory card (why bother, I can ftp stuff over). The xbox is big for a reason, open it up, it's full. :P. my only point was that the smaller PSTwo is a stop gap to squeeze extra cash until the ps3 is out. And I NEVER once in my post said that MS were not as money grabbing as ANY other console producer :P
 
code_kev
*average user*

"cool it has a HDD, I'm gonna mod it!"

*10 minutes later*

"Cool, I can play n64 games, watch div x movies, have custom sound tracks, save LOADS AND LOADS of games with out the need of a memory card), games load faster, I can listen to mp3s (using win amp playlist and ftping from pc, and saving on hdd if you want) watch region free dvds (with out a remote, oh and the play back is better then the ps2s, oh and you can use an rgb cable, no green screen o death here), play snes, mega drive games, psx games, browse the internet, ftp to and from my pc, edit text documents, check the weather ;), save my games on the HDD, and I can't wait till I stick a loverly 80 gig hdd in etc etc, and that idiot tha con said the hard drive was useless!"

tha con, I'm not some MS fan boy ok, so stick that idea up your arse. The controllers on the xbox were made smaller, because the previous ones were a joke, and I have never bought an xbox memory card (why bother, I can ftp stuff over). The xbox is big for a reason, open it up, it's full. :P. my only point was that the smaller PSTwo is a stop gap to squeeze extra cash until the ps3 is out. And I NEVER once in my post said that MS were not as money grabbing as ANY other console producer :P

First off, before I was in the army, I worked at circut city, and believe me, the *average user* knows nothing of modding an xbox. Also, as far as an MS fan boy, you sure come across like it, since you always seem to point out every single weakness that PS2 or even a PS2 game has. Also, you accuse sony of all thier mistakes and imply that they leave these things out to make more money, yada yada, with new technology comes problems, this is a completely redesigned board, so of course there are harware issues, as is with the multi tap etc. I agree sony has made mistakes, but everyone does, you cannot get it perfect the first time around in a new market.
 
Maybe it's just me but I see this as Sony just cutting costs and dead wood from the PS2's inventory. Obviously this re-designed system costs less to manufacture and produce and honestly how many people actually have the HDD and use a multi-tap with their PS2's? I don't, if I wanna hang with my mates I'll do so at the pub not round a console, though 2 player PES3 or GT3 is quality with a few beers down after a night out. ;)

Anyway I like it, it's compact, sleek and you can take it with you or even more interesting it will go into a car hell of a lot better than the previous design.
 
I couldn't give a toss what the average user can and can't do, I am me, not the average user :P. I mean, HOW DARE I mention a short coming, SHOCK HORROR!!! They have had 4 years to get it right, and they still screw up. Yes it looks nice, but it's a waste of time, just as a smaller xbox would also be a totaly utter waste of time, imagine if they released an xbox with out a hard drive, and only 2 controller ports, but it was just smaller, I'm sure people would moan then, and some rabid little fanboy (like yourself) would jump in to defend it.

you cannot get it perfect the first time around in a new market.

It's hardly a new market, and sony have had 4 years :P
 
Kev your comparison is not the same at all, Xbox relies on the hard drive PS2 doesn't, the 4 controller ports are standard on an Xbox the multi-tap is an extra for the PS2. As for metioning short comings, everything has them, time tells many a story. Also you can never get things right first time especially when dealing with technology, over the years R&D discover new ways of doing things and this in turn makes products smaller and more reliable; eg plasma tv's, LG of all people developed a new process that made them a lot more reliable and now they are making screens for sony and many many more.

I think you need to chill and stop being a pessimist, you seem to think the world is out to screw you for every penny and your time, but you don't need to buy the bloody thing, but people will, are they stupid? maybe but that's them and they have nothing to do with you.

So chill and relax and be happy, you seem to need it as almost every post is a damn fault find or lame put down. Look on the bright side for a change !! :)
 
Also you can never get things right first time especially when dealing with technology, over the years R&D discover new ways of doing things and this in turn makes products smaller and more reliable; eg plasma tv's, LG of all people developed a new process that made them a lot more reliable and now they are making screens for sony and many many more.

But this is a product that will last 2 years maximum the hardware is already outdated even if it is super small you more than likely could fit the entire PS2 into a tamagotchi (w/o DVD).

doe's it make it better?? hell no !

what Sony is doing is marketing genius they done it before and people bought the "Baby" PS ONE by the truck load then they bought the PS2 directly after, I was just astonished people actually went for this marketing hype and actually bought both.....

I suppose it has somthing to do with my PC gamer mentality kicking in, in all honesty the PS2 has never looked anything close too stylish it looks functional as doe's this "Baby" PS2 they did not even attempt to redesign it they made it smaller.

it just seems very pointless to me...
 
tha_con
....

*microsoft*
"So...let's get into this whole "console thing" why don't we?"

*tech*
"sure...what should we do?"

*ms*
"well...make it really big...an HDD that really does nothing, oh but you can make your own soundtrack *gasp*....make it so you have to pay more to use the DVD, let's sell memory cards to make more money, make big controllers that no one likes, then make them smaller and sell them to make even more money,....it'll be just great!"

don't act like microsoft isn't interested in your wallet too...the only reason Microsoft hasn't made the xbox smaller is because they didn't design the hardware, it's all from other people...they just make the money off it, just like the stole the windows concept...microsoft is not that great either my friend.

It's big, so what? Mine has never been mobile.

HDD does nothing? Dunno bout you, but i hate forking out $30 for a memory card that only has 8 mb. Sony has those little ass memory cards that are 252mb, why can't they make a memory card for the ps2 that's more then 8mb? I save all my games onto a hdd, and never run out of space. I also have about 5 cd's on it.

DVD part you're right, that is kind of weak. But i have a PS2 and a dvd player so i'm set.

They sell memory cards if you want to take your info to a friends house, it's not a neccesisity, it's an option.

Yes they did make the big controller in the begining, but since you worked at CC you should know, they changed to the smaller controller within what about 6~8 months, and never looked back. So yes the ppl in the begining did get kind of screwed, but that's only a small perdentage.

PPL go into business to make money, plain and simple.
 
Remember when Sony dumped their superior, consumer Beta tape format to get on Phillip's inferior VHS bandwagon? Sony didn't care that their format was superior, they saw that they could make more money with VHS. Corporations are kinda like that.

IMO it's so redundant and wastefull to have multiple consoles and monitors, why can't we pay Sony or MS a liscensing fee and use our PC's to play PS & XB games? My AMD64/nVidia FX5900 Ultra based PC blows away whatever PS3 is going to have under the hood anyway, it's a waste.
 
Front
But this is a product that will last 2 years maximum the hardware is already outdated even if it is super small you more than likely could fit the entire PS2 into a tamagotchi (w/o DVD).

doe's it make it better?? hell no !

what Sony is doing is marketing genius they done it before and people bought the "Baby" PS ONE by the truck load then they bought the PS2 directly after, I was just astonished people actually went for this marketing hype and actually bought both.....

I suppose it has somthing to do with my PC gamer mentality kicking in, in all honesty the PS2 has never looked anything close too stylish it looks functional as doe's this "Baby" PS2 they did not even attempt to redesign it they made it smaller.

it just seems very pointless to me...
Consoles are still selling all over the world though, 17,000 a week in europe at least for the PS2 anyway, you have to imagine at the lower price now that they can't be making that much of a profit on it but I could be wrong, so it makes sense to redesign the system to cut costs and make more profit that can be put into R&D of new things and ways of improving them as well as pumping more funds into the different sectors (if any). This whole marketing hype is stupid, sure it's being marketed but it's more of a cost-saving strategy rather than a marketing strategy. It's been done long before and will contnue to do so, it's business but to say it's just a cheap ploy to make money and screw the consumer is absurd, R&D costs companies a fortune every year and most of the time it's wasted money but just sometimes it leads to a huge new development in technology and that is how the money lost is made back up. It's the way every techology firm and corporation works: "The best way to know the future is to invent it !"

It's the new and "waiting to be found" ideas that cost the most not the current ones.
 
code_kev
*average user*

"cool it has a HDD, I'm gonna mod it!"

*10 minutes later*

"Cool, I can play n64 games, watch div x movies, have custom sound tracks, save LOADS AND LOADS of games with out the need of a memory card), games load faster, I can listen to mp3s (using win amp playlist and ftping from pc, and saving on hdd if you want) watch region free dvds (with out a remote, oh and the play back is better then the ps2s, oh and you can use an rgb cable, no green screen o death here), play snes, mega drive games, psx games, browse the internet, ftp to and from my pc, edit text documents, check the weather ;), save my games on the HDD, and I can't wait till I stick a loverly 80 gig hdd in etc etc, and that idiot tha con said the hard drive was useless!"

tha con, I'm not some MS fan boy ok, so stick that idea up your arse.
ur lying thru ur teeth, i hate when ppl do that - it looks ugly :)
 
The best way to know the future is to invent it !

In sony's case "The best way to know the future is to make it smaller !"

I would not be suprised if the new "baby" PS2 is running from the same technology as the PSP, just threw it into a "baby" PS2 and hey presto a mini PS2 :)
 
who do you think will make more money gta 4 or gt4.. i personally believe gta 4. No question tho I am buying both heh. All this ps2 slim nonsense.. just wait for ps2 if you want a small ps2. There is absolutly no advantage for this thing. ooo you'll save 2 dollars on your electricity bill. Plus in the winter when you want heat in your house.. you small ps2 wont be providing non heh...
 
Front
In sony's case "The best way to know the future is to make it smaller !"

I would not be suprised if the new "baby" PS2 is running from the same technology as the PSP, just threw it into a "baby" PS2 and hey presto a mini PS2 :)


dood you are a huge fanboy did you know that? lol.

Anyway, again you know too little about the industry to really make any assumptions comments.

Also, codekev, first post you said some stuff about the average user wanting to mod his xbox, and sotre tons of DATED games on it....then in yoru next post you say you don't care about the average user, make up your mind, don't argue something as a strong point and then take it back, lol...stick with your word.
 
does anybody has a clue what the bundle with GT4 might cost (in europe)?

i haven't got a ps2 but i'd like to get one when GT4 is out. i like the new design and i don't need any hdds or multiwhatevercraps and i don't care if some old crappy game won't work on it.
 
Why do some people in here believe the PS2 is outdated?

If you think about it, the XBox is based on technology that dates from around the same time as the PS2's development.

Originally, my PC was a 733mhz P3, 64mEDORAM, 13.6gb HD, with integrated video/audio (no cards).
I bought it off the shelf in 2001 at Circuit City for $389 (sans monitor).
That was almost the weakest model eMachines offered, and was to be removed from the sales floor in 2 weeks.

Seems like my XBox is exactly the same thing in a neat and smaller black box.

I'd say the XBox is a bit outdated, too.
 
Must...resist...urge...to...buy...PSTwo.

It is so sexy...

P.S: Anyone who calls the XBOX Hard Drive useless is an idiot. Custom Soundtracks are awesome, as is having pretty much as many game saves as you want.
 
That thing is ugly....

If I need to replace my ps2, I'll try and find one of these sexy beasts.


psx.jpg


psx.jpg


Hard drive and dvd recorder included.
 
I think the PS3 will take some styling hints from the PSX aswell and the PSP, combine that looks of both of them and......hey presto! :)
 
onematt34
That thing is ugly....

If I need to replace my ps2, I'll try and find one of these sexy beasts.


psx.jpg


psx.jpg


Hard drive and dvd recorder included.


what so special about it?
 
:lol: :lol: :lol:...............I does actually look like that now that you mention it! :lol:
 
Back